Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do I NEED twinkling h20s?

I've never seen these in person but saw that some listed them as their best stamping tool. I'd appreciate any comments about them to help me decide if I need them. Thanks.

Victoria
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only used them in classes. But, I really did like them and since frugalities had them 49% off, I went a head and ordered two sets. When they come in I will be doing some tutorials, though
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:35 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really like mine. They're very hard to see on samples in the gallery, especially if you brush them over a color. I've done that, to enhance the look of a flower or dress . . . they shimmer nicely. Look great in person and its always fun to paint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:58 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have some and love to use them sometimes... If you like to watercolor I would say they are a good purchase but if you don't watercolor much I would pass...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I'm in the process of order them all! I LOOOVE them! There are so many different things you can do with them, and they're SPARKLY! Love em, so YES, you do need them
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:14 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

How do you know which colors to choose? I'm looking at the Cornish Heritage Farms site and there are so many different colors. How did you choose which you purchase? I'm looking at a 24 pack.

Also, do any go with SU colors?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorialView Post
How do you know which colors to choose? I'm looking at the Cornish Heritage Farms site and there are so many different colors. How did you choose which you purchase? I'm looking at a 24 pack.

Also, do any go with SU colors?

Thanks.
I was in the same boat as you, and someone here suggested to think about what you might be coloring with them. If you are going to color flowers, geta a set that has pinks, purples, greens, etc. Nature stuff might be more greens, blues, browns, etc.

I ordered the #2452 set from CHF, and think it has a good mix of colors to start out with. I haven't used them yet, though. :oops:

I don't know about SU color matches. I'm sure someone on here has a list they could share!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I had to have every color which is alot and i also buy the new ones' that come out but have only used them a few times LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I LOVE mine. I use mostly yellow/gold and pinks but those are the colours im obsessed with. I use them for almost everything I make... I stamp with them and I colour with them... and backgrounds, just so much fun and so pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #10  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was lucky enough to have an LSS ( now closed - sad! ) that sold the H20's in individual pots! That made purchasing them so much easier. You don't need to have them - but they do have a pearlescent sheen that is lovely. I couldn't tell you just what colours to get ... I have purchased maybe?? 50+( easily - maybe more ) and I really like like them. One thing I have been told is too leave the lids off after you've used them - for a couple of days, as friends of mine have told me that they have had mold grow into the H2O's that were wet and were closed up shortly after. ( Each pot has a screw on lid ).

This has never happened to me personally - but since hearing that I do leave my H20 pots to dry for a day or two before putting the lids onto them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have these, I think 24 of them and I don't use them all that often. You can paint directly on the stamp and use them that way but I have found that getting a nice image takes a lot of trial and error (too wet, too dry, just right!, etc.). You can also use them to paint with. They make particularly nice backgrounds on smaller pieces of paper or watercolor paper.

I don't use them enough to buy more, however. So you probably don't "need" them but they are a nice addition to our arsenal of stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

My lss carries them in packs of 6 and I have 18 of the little guys now. I plan to get more as I have the funds. I do like them and use them but I could live without them (but why would I want to ). They are certainly not a must-have but they do finish things off nicely.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I love them, but I think they are one of those things that get pushed to the side a lot. I forget about them until I read something like this, then I'll pull them out again. They do look very pretty IRL. Probably not a must have, but a nice to have if you have the extra $-they are kinda spendy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have several sets and I don't use them that often. I prefer buying singles because some of the colors are so close its hard to tell the difference. I like to use them to highlight scrapbook paper. You can take a "nice" paper and make it "beautiful" by painting the H20s over the images on the paper and add some highlights with a stardust pen, maybe a glitter, and you have a real WOW factor. Favorite colors are: pink grapefruit, persimmon, golden opal, spiced pumpkin, ginger flower, lemon grass, olive vine, dreamsicle, egyptian gold, bpugainvillea, and yellow rose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Do you need them? Probably not. Will would really like/love them once you use them? Most likely! I have about 30 now and want more, but I do a lot of watercoloring on my projects and absolutely love the shimmer and shine that you get using them. If you only watercolor some, you probably won't want to invest the money, but if you like watercoloring like I do, you'll love using them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:49 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Twinkling H2O

Twinks are practically all I use for my images. If you would like to see the color charts for all of them and samples of images, etc. for which to use them, check on my blog:

http://cardartetc.blogspot.com/

I use different sizes of the Nijii Aqua brush to paint. If you have any detailed questions about how to paint with them let me know.

Also, if any of you don't use yours and would like to part with them for a reasonable price, please let me know privately. I love them.
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:14 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I love them. I started getting several of the sets with the smaller pots, and now that I have a good idea what colours I use, I'm gradually getting the bigger pots in single colours. Some people I know find it a bit of a pain waiting for them to dry before putting them away, but I use watercolour pan paints too, and it doesn't bother me. With the H2Os, I just put them in the lid of the tin I store them in, and put it aside for a few hours. I'd say they are well worth getting if you enjoy colouring. You'll need some fine brushes too, I mostly use either 000 or 00000.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 07:40 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Brushes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I love them. I started getting several of the sets with the smaller pots, and now that I have a good idea what colours I use, I'm gradually getting the bigger pots in single colours. Some people I know find it a bit of a pain waiting for them to dry before putting them away, but I use watercolour pan paints too, and it doesn't bother me. With the H2Os, I just put them in the lid of the tin I store them in, and put it aside for a few hours. I'd say they are well worth getting if you enjoy colouring. You'll need some fine brushes too, I mostly use either 000 or 00000.
I started out with the regular brushes because I had done watercolor before and have tons of brushes, but after getting use to the Aqua brushes (I use bottled water in the tube part), I would never go back for cards. There is less mess and in some cases drying time too. I haven't experimented with paintings yet. I have 3 different sizes because of detail and wetting large areas for a wash. If you wet the area first with the brush and then use the twink, you will find you can create many shades of color from just one pot.

JMO
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Shirleyone, loved your examples. I haven't played with the TWO I have because I put them somewhere safe!!!! Will have to dig because I love the effect you can get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Twinks

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevLindaView Post
Shirleyone, loved your examples. I haven't played with the TWO I have because I put them somewhere safe!!!! Will have to dig because I love the effect you can get.

Thank you Linda.
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I have 12 different colors, but I find I always turn to Oyster, which is a translucent creamy white. You can brush it over any color and it adds a gorgeous sheen! I believe you can usually buy just a large pot of Oyster and many sites that sell Twinkling H20's!

Joella
Reply With Quote Likes