Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2015, 04:18 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Distress Mini Inks?

I'm curious...are there any techniques that you could not do using the mini distress ink pads?

I'm trying to get my art studio set up in our new home and since I don't have all of the distress inks in the larger size I am contemplating just buying all the colors in the minis to save storage space.

Since I've never been to RangerU and haven't tried all of the different techniques I don't know if the pad size will make a different of not.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't think of any but I'm not a Ranger expert by any means.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #3  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I also cannot think of any (and also am not a Ranger expert) but have a suggestion that I hope is helpful. Keep some Cut-n-Foam on hand to use in the desired size should you find the mini pads too small for any particular use. You would just need reinkers to turn the foam into a temporary inkpad.

Hope this link is helpful:

http://rangerink.com/?product=cut-n-...-and-felt-pads

Happy Crafting!
Tina aka TeeGeeDee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 09:18 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuzanneView Post
I'm curious...are there any techniques that you could not do using the mini distress ink pads?
I just bought a 4-cube pack on eBay, and I have been trying loads of different techniques with them, all successfully. Well, according to me :-)

The small cubes stack tightly and take up much less space, and they're easy to apply direct to paper on smaller pieces or projects. They are very juicy, and when they become a bit dry, I can just replace some for a reasonable cost, or even replace with new colors (I'm not a big reinker person).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 11:37 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

The little pads are working well for me, too. If you collect several of them, then you might "need" these specially-designed tins to hold them: Amazon.com - Mini Distress Ink Storage Tin -Holds 12 -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 02:04 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my Distress Inks, have all the big ones, have used for years and years and they just seem to go on. If I could afford it I would buy the mini ones as they would be perfect for all that I do and the thought of using up less space is very tempting. Also for water colouring when painting it would be easier to squish the mini pad onto my paint pallet and allow for more colours placed near each other. I think the only time you would appreciate big would be if you were using direct to cardstock to ink up paper and cant imagine doing that much. Love love the idea of mini and the storage tins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the replies!!

Joann Fabrics has them on sale with an additional 15% off that expires today so trying to decide if I should order all the mini ones.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I make my own mini ink pads with the Cut 'n Dry Foam and reinkers. There's a tutorial on my blog (I'm currently on hiatus) HERE. It's a very cost-effective, storage-friendly option for me...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 07:50 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the replies!!

Joann Fabrics has them on sale with an additional 15% off that expires today so trying to decide if I should order all the mini ones.
I saw their sale price and think I got them slightly cheaper on eBay (new) even figuring in shipping costs. You might want to check around � I'm always trying to maximize my crafting budget which is why I'm in the habit of doing that research exhaustively
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I make my own mini ink pads with the Cut 'n Dry Foam and reinkers. There's a tutorial on my blog (I'm currently on hiatus) HERE. It's a very cost-effective, storage-friendly option for me...
Thank you so much for linking your project, I love it!! The tip on the boxes you use is great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend bought 3pks for my birthday gift (2 weeks before Christmas) but forgot the tool. I need to order one.I don't think there is any major difference int he pads themselves except size of course. They don't need as much space, they are less expensive and you could easily get all of them for less than it would take to buy the lot of full sized ones, so the ink pads that aren't that different.

*My* understanding is this : The main difference is the blending tool . I gather this mini blending tool is much more efficient with smaller stencils. SO if my understanding is correct..the mini tool would work great with the regular sized DI if you didn't want to buy a smaller size of something you already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 08:48 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

So funny to see this here tonight. I thought the same thing, and as I have all the "large" ink pads, today I bought the mini blending tool and some extra pads. I've been wanting to do some inking techniques.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
My friend bought 3pks for my birthday gift (2 weeks before Christmas) but forgot the tool. I need to order one.I don't think there is any major difference int he pads themselves except size of course. They don't need as much space, they are less expensive and you could easily get all of them for less than it would take to buy the lot of full sized ones, so the ink pads that aren't that different.

*My* understanding is this : The main difference is the blending tool . I gather this mini blending tool is much more efficient with smaller stencils. SO if my understanding is correct..the mini tool would work great with the regular sized DI if you didn't want to buy a smaller size of something you already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2015, 04:43 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post

FYI - The blending tool you are talking about does the same thing with both the large pads or the small pads and it is just s round version of the rectangular version that has been our for years.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

The smaller round blending tool uses a foam pad instead of the felt pad that the large blending tool uses. I have both and I personally like the foam over the felt, there seems to be more control over the ink coverage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
So cool!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The larger tool can be bought with foam or felt, I have both. The felt is more for alcohol ink techniques.

I just ordered most of the mini distress inks on Oozak.com | eCustomer Service at its Best!. They have a great price!! And the small blending tool was in stock. I also ordered the tins for a great price. I'm going to sell my large pads and my Organize More unit that holds them and the reinkers. I'll keep my reinkers and put them in a drawer. I just want to downsize my stash a little and this will help a great deal since I don't use them that much. I just can't get rid of them entirely.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

FYI - The blending tool you are talking about does the same thing with both the large pads or the small pads and it is just s round version of the rectangular version that has been our for years.
Yes! That is what I was trying to say last night..LOL. They are the same but the smaller one is what is different about the line. From what I gather the smaller one works really well with the smaller size stencils..w/o as much ink waste maybe..and it doesn't leave the hard edges that can happen with the larger one. Oh..and you can blend on the inside of the card..and not from the outside edges inward as with the larger rectangular one. .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2015, 04:39 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaspringView Post
The smaller round blending tool uses a foam pad instead of the felt pad that the large blending tool uses. I have both and I personally like the foam over the felt, there seems to be more control over the ink coverage.
They make foam pads for the large one too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2015, 05:06 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaspringView Post
IIRC the felt pads are to be used for Alcohol inks. I have never tired them with DI but they work great for AI techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes