Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distress Ink advice

I am brand new to TH Distress inks and have been playing around with them. Question.... do most of you who use them often with the ink blending tool, buy a tool (the handle-thing) for each color or do you change out the foam circles? thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I use them like any other ink not just blending but mostly blending. I have a couple of handles of the rectangle and the round. I prefer the round if I use the handle. I started to buy foam for each of the colors and then I realized I only need them for shades of the colors (light green and a dark green).

To be honest you don't even need a handle if you can learn to use just the foam or any other soft sponge. It's really about what is comfortable for you and what gives you the best result. Sometimes I just grab the foamy and start blending. : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use them with the ink blending tool and I use a different circle per color
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a tool for each of my most favorite colors. I usually blend with 5 or so colors, so I would hate to change the foam circles every time. I like to just pick up the color I am working with, then move on to the next color, then back to the first color to blend it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have three blending tools and lots of circles. Now I have mostly mini Distress inks, and since the circles fit right in the bottom of the ink pad, almost every mini has its own circle. (I don't bother to velcro them.)

For my full-sized pads, I just keep the circles in a small open box with the blending tools and grab one that's in the same color family and light/dark match.

I also use finger daubers, kept in a box made for them, and grab a dauber in the same color family as the ink. Once dry it doesn't matter if it's different. After I've used one, I set it aside in a little tray so I don't grab it in the same session for a different color while it's still wet.

Here's the box with one dauber (to see what the box is intended for). You can buy bags of daubers, or buy a box that's filled: https://www.amazon.com/Darice-GBDB-D.../dp/B00FZ35MDW Prices vary a bunch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I have three blending tools and lots of circles. Now I have mostly mini Distress inks, and since the circles fit right in the bottom of the ink pad, almost every mini has its own circle. (I don't bother to velcro them.)

For my full-sized pads, I just keep the circles in a small open box with the blending tools and grab one that's in the same color family and light/dark match.

I also use finger daubers, kept in a box made for them, and grab a dauber in the same color family as the ink. Once dry it doesn't matter if it's different. After I've used one, I set it aside in a little tray so I don't grab it in the same session for a different color while it's still wet.

Here's the box with one dauber (to see what the box is intended for). You can buy bags of daubers, or buy a box that's filled: https://www.amazon.com/Darice-GBDB-D.../dp/B00FZ35MDW Prices vary a bunch.
I do this too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I have a blending tool for each color. I have 20 colors. I don't want to take time to switch them out when I'm crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have ten square blending tools and six round ones. I long ago set up my pads so that there was a strip of velcro on the lid of each, and I put the blender foam for that pad on that. When the mini's came out, I started adding a smaller strip to the underneath the base of the pad for that circular blender foam.

This allows me to have a separate pad for every color, without having to buy so many blender tools. I could get away fewer tools than I have, but having a bunch of them lets me fool around with a lot of different colors at once without having to switch out the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I bought a thick dowel rod. I cut it into prices. Glued the foam to each piece. Now I have a blending tool for each one
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you all for the advice!! I only have two tools right now and i am finding it is a nuisance to switch out the foam circles too. Sounds like I could use a few more but don't need one for every color. I also like the dauber idea. Ty

Last edited by CJ64; 02-05-2017 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ64View Post
Thank you all for the advice!! I only have two tools right now and i am finding it is a nuisance to switch out the foam circles too. Sounds like I could use a few more but don't need one for every color. I also like the dauber idea. Ty
Love daubers. I also love Clarity brushes for softly blending Distress ink, but that's a another story.

I mentioned I have three, but it's four, and another is on the way as a gift from an on-line shop for spending during January, their birthday month (Tupelo). For me that's plenty, with minimal swapping yet without taking up much space. But one size does not fit all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I have been debating about the Clarity brushes. They look fabulous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2017, 05:14 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I tried the clarity brushes and for "me" they are too soft. It takes a lot of time to get a good coverage. I thought perhaps it was the pointed tip so I trimmed one flat and nope, still takes a lot of effort. However, there are a lot of people who love them. I prefer the Airebrush they are a little stiffer and hold the ink really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2017, 05:36 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Adore. I love them for stencils too, if watercoloring. There are videos showing how to best use them by Jennifer McGuire, Lydia, the company that makes them, etc.

I don't think they're the best for really dark, heavy coverage - I still pounce with other brushes for that.

Here's a Jennifer McGuire blog and video about them - and btw, she has a new one - http://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2016/06/clarity.html

And here's Barbara Gray's (Clarity). But google for others or if you can't find any, just yell - there are bunches. Enjoy!

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2017, 05:46 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

I posted an idea for inexpensive blending sponges and handles here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I figured I would never be blending more than 6 colors at one time, so I have 6 round applicators. I do have the round foam pads - one per color.
Reply With Quote Likes