Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-22-2016, 05:21 AM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Tim Holtz Flower Garden set from Stampendous is really nice, too! Indigo Blu has several poppy sets and Penny Black has quite a variety of floral sets to color.

Karen ... Murphy's Law

Last edited by kmk24; 06-22-2016 at 05:28 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CreativeCardseaView Post
Clearly Besotted has a lot of very lovely flower stamps that are perfect for watercoloring - both in larger sizes and in miniatures. They are a UK company, but you can also find them at Simon Says Stamp and Ellen Hutson. My go-to stamp is Sunshine and Smiles (I love sunflowers).

WPlus9 has really great floral stamps, too. What's awesome is that a lot of the sets are a bouquet type that fill a card front perfectly, but they're smaller (and cheaper). My go-to is Botanical Bunch.

And my most-used floral stamp is Hero Arts Delicate Blossoms. I think I've tried it with every coloring medium I've had and always walked away with great results.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmk24View Post
Tim Holtz Flower Garden set from Stampendous is really nice, too! Indigo Blu has several poppy sets and Penny Black has quite a variety of floral sets to color.
I have had my eyes on Tim Holtz flower garden set, thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2016, 10:23 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

Having watched an in-person demo at a recent stamp convention, I was intrigued by the beautiful blending achieved using the tip-to-tip method. ;)

Although I did not buy the markers, I'd suggest googling for videos using tip-to-tip blending with these, as the results I watched were certainly lovely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #45  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I love my Zig markers!! With or without water, I love them both ways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #46  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that using Bristol is a nice compromise, so thanks for that recommendation. You can't wet it as much as WC paper, of course, but it is very smooth, so you can stamp well on it and it doesn give better blends than hot press WC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I have found that using Bristol is a nice compromise, so thanks for that recommendation. You can't wet it as much as WC paper, of course, but it is very smooth, so you can stamp well on it and it doesn give better blends than hot press WC.
I have only "practiced" so far on the bristol paper. Been nursing a migraine on and off all week. I went to stamp club today then out to Michaels, bought some Ranger black ink, I did not have water proof ink.

I heard bristol is good for copics too. Can't wait ti try that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 07:54 PM   #48  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I actually need help to pick out open lined flower stamps please! I just received these neat markers as a birthday present. I love them. Went to Michaels today to buy Stathmore Bristol paper. Love this paper.

But I don't have any fun open flower stamps. All my flower stamps are very detailed and I really don't think they will work well for water coloring.

So, PLEASE direct me to your favorite, fun water coloring flowers stamps.

Thank You so much!!
Has anyone tried Altenew's open florals? They're gorgeous! Just received my lotus stamps and dies and can't wait to try them out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I'm getting better with my zigs. Watching Kristina Werner videos is paying off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 03:15 AM   #50  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subscribing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Been watching Kristina's video's too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #52  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Been watching Kristina's video's too!
Did you see how she made the waves with several different colors? I tried it and it worked! Although I only have the 12 pack set of colors, so not as many blues, but I used cobalt blue, green, and blue and got a nice background!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Did you see how she made the waves with several different colors? I tried it and it worked! Although I only have the 12 pack set of colors, so not as many blues, but I used cobalt blue, green, and blue and got a nice background!
I saw the tutorial on the galaxy. Loved it. Had to go out and buy crayola paints as we don't have any in the house. Threw them all out when kids did not need it for school anymore.

Paints are sitting on the table next to my zig water color markers Just waiting for me;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Just watched it. Pretty Neat. But I only have 2 blue markers.:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

I havent tried these pens however i do have the zig brushables markers and they are also water based too. I absolutely LOVE them I have been using these markers for more than 18 months and ive only got 3 colours that are starting to dry out and i think thats cos the ink has run out.

Because you start with the lightest colour first and use that to drag the other colours the lightest colour in each colour set is used more than the other colours. I really really love them. they are dual tipped and one is a colour the other is a 50 percent tint i dont understand all the theory behind it I just watched a scrapbooking made simple video on how to colour with these markers over silk microfine (or other microfine glitter) the transperant glitter that is in exactly the same as using copics I mean the technique is different but it looks just as good.

because I am allergic to smells alcohol being one of them and have a super sensitive nose I have been scared to try copics theyre also super expensive so i only use water based products and so far i havent used anything i couldnt handle. I get severe migraines and often have difficulty breathing from anything that smells so i have avoided staz on ink for example or copics or other alcohol markers.

i believe because theyre water based you can actually add water to them though i havent actually done this.

theres 48 colours over 24 pens. I really like them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #56  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was having trouble with the zig markers soaking in too fast also. You have to be very fast following up with the water brush. Here is the video I watched to get better at it. Creativity Within : Watercolored Birthday with Concord and 9th and a VIDEO
You can't tell because it is sped up but I found if I went in there really fast with my water it worked. This was using Arches 140# cold press and the MISTI to stamp the image three times to get the embossing powder to stick. I would use the MISTI with no line color also to make sure it stamped well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 06:45 PM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

Someone asked about their favourite floral stamps i love the stampendous jumbo stamps they are perfect for colouring available from lots of places
I know scrapbooking made simple has a few videos on those pens the clean colour ones
I havent watched it and im unsure what the difference is between them and the zig brushables which can water colour can be used without water and also have pigment ink so you can colour in the stamp andstamp with more than one colour
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #58  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

First of all, I didn't know I was going to have to buy 'special' paper to get them to work....that kind of thing really irritates me.....I've got zillions of kinds of cardstock and watercolor paper and none of them would work. I just can't move the ink. So now I have to go out and buy Bristol? I have discovered that if you spread some of the ink onto an acrylic surface or a craft sheet and pick it up with a different brush (like an aquabrush - with varying small amounts of water depending on what you're trying to do) that works well enough. I don't find anything special about the colour once it's applied though, but that might just be me. They also work quite well if you apply it directly to your stamp. Use a MISTI so you can get different depths of color.
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #59  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to reach for the zigs last these days. Sometimes I have luck with them but I have to move in with the water so fast it's kind of stressy. It's just so much easier with my Gansai and super easy with my Peerless and my Daniel Smith. If I'm going to have to mix them with water on my pallet, which does work, why not just use regular watercolors? They do slide around better on the Bristol but there is something off about the look. it kind of looks like paint, not watercolor. if I liked very bright and very intense in my water coloring I might think they are great. I'm sure a really fine water colorist could make them work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm. i have good luck with watercolor paper. ok luck with bristol, i think it pills more easily. I have figured out that i need buy the best watercolor paper i can afford for any type of watercolor and a few good brushes that do not shed. i am not very good, but it certainly is not the fault of the supplies! At least i feel like an artist when i am purchasing the stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #61  
Cardstock Collector

Default BRISTOL PAPER

Use Bristol paper. Strathmore smooth Bristol. They carry it at Michaels. It has a yellow cover. Makes all the difference in the world. I tried neenah (several different types), Georgia pacific, Recollections, every type I could think of. But the Bristol worked best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #62  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by WendykatoView Post
Use Bristol paper. Strathmore smooth Bristol. They carry it at Michaels. It has a yellow cover. Makes all the difference in the world. I tried neenah (several different types), Georgia pacific, Recollections, every type I could think of. But the Bristol worked best.

I was recommended Bristol paper and I went to mikes to buy it with a coupon of course.

But I did not have good results with it. It pills very easily and does not blend out very well for watercoloring.

I have since been recommended to try multimedia 140#. haven't tied it yet but just want to say Bristol paper is better for copics then watercoloring on, at least for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #63  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

I was recommended Bristol paper and I went to mikes to buy it with a coupon of course.

But I did not have good results with it. It pills very easily and does not blend out very well for watercoloring.

I have since been recommended to try multimedia 140#. haven't tied it yet but just want to say Bristol paper is better for copics then watercoloring on, at least for me

Like Rachel pointed out, Bristol is a compromise paper. You can�t use as much water as with watercolor paper. I use it when adding touches of color, or less water than usual. It can�t be worked much. Just my take.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2018, 07:26 PM   #64  
Rubber Obsessor

I have asked my husband for those pens for my birthday
I have the pigment ones called zig brushables but would love a pen thats dye ink as well

Whenever im stuck i turn to YouTube i know there are tons of videos on these markers by scrapbooking made simple jennifer McGuire and others
And personally i love the bristol paper with the zig brushables but u dont watercolour with them
I love bright and bold colours and im certainly ni artist thats for suee bur love coloring in

I love taking stamps i usually heat emboss so its permanent and then i love colouring the images

I also tried neenah paper for the zig brushables but it pilled too much

I cannot use copics or any alcohol markers because of the smell i have multiple chemical sensitivity and have breathing issues round anything that smells of alcohol such as copics or other alcohol markers

So thats why i wanted the brushables these came out first but they only have 48 colors and not many facial colours faces are so hard to colour i finally worked out u need pale yellow pink and brown and mix them together and u get a facial colour

So i hope i have better luck with then when its my birthday next month!!

I love bristol paper so much it is more expensive but it made using the brushables a lot easier for me!

Also u dont have to water colour with the clean colour markers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2018, 06:09 AM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Fascinating reading. I don't have any of these markers, but I've recently discovered the joys of Crayola markers to "watercolor". Cheaper than brush markers, for sure, and lots of colors available. I'll have to get some Bristol and see how that works out. Thanks for educating me, all!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 AM   #66  
Glitter Queen

Oh great!! I probably just bought a counterfeit set of Zig Clean Color Real Brush pens from Amazon. I got them about 3 weeks ago. I got the 36 pen set for about $50. At the time I thought that was a lot of money for 36 watercolor pens. Little did I know these sell for twice as much at places like Jerry's Artarama. Mine did not come individually wrapped and I do not remember a red seal on the packaging.

That being said, I do like them. I have never watercolored anything in my life so I am having a bit of a learning curve to overcome. I'm better with colored pencils. The Zigs or whatever they are, are vibrant but they are too new to be drying out yet but time will tell.

I get so frustrated by all the counterfeit products out there. I wish Amazon could police their 3rd party sellers better.

On another thread I posted a question about the Prismacolor Premiers I just purchased and received a few days ago. Also, from Amazon. Some of the colors are labeled in black while most of them are labeled in silver. I'm hoping this isn't another case of counterfeit pencils.

As to lesliespringer's question about flower stamps, one of my favorite flower stamps to color is Altenew's Persian Motif.

I guess I'll have to do a better job of researching what I buy and from where. It's hard when you are on a fixed income and want nice things but need a good price.

Sandee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandeeleeView Post
Oh great!! I probably just bought a counterfeit set of Zig Clean Color Real Brush pens from Amazon. I got them about 3 weeks ago. I got the 36 pen set for about $50. At the time I thought that was a lot of money for 36 watercolor pens. Little did I know these sell for twice as much at places like Jerry's Artarama. Mine did not come individually wrapped and I do not remember a red seal on the packaging.

That being said, I do like them. I have never watercolored anything in my life so I am having a bit of a learning curve to overcome. I'm better with colored pencils. The Zigs or whatever they are, are vibrant but they are too new to be drying out yet but time will tell.

I get so frustrated by all the counterfeit products out there. I wish Amazon could police their 3rd party sellers better.

On another thread I posted a question about the Prismacolor Premiers I just purchased and received a few days ago. Also, from Amazon. Some of the colors are labeled in black while most of them are labeled in silver. I'm hoping this isn't another case of counterfeit pencils.

As to lesliespringer's question about flower stamps, one of my favorite flower stamps to color is Altenew's Persian Motif.

I guess I'll have to do a better job of researching what I buy and from where. It's hard when you are on a fixed income and want nice things but need a good price.

Sandee

Sandee, my Zigs have not been individually wrapped, and they're not counterfeit - purchased from my LSS, carpediemmarkers.com and Dick Blick. I also purchased one on Amazon. (It sounds like I have a lot, but I buy them individually except for one small set!) So you might be okay.

Do you want to post a photo opened and closed?

Just in case someone new is interested in them, they'e not markers in the traditional sense.They have a tiny brush on one end, and Zig calls them Zig Clean Color Brushes.
http://www.realbrush.jp/en/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 12:34 PM   #68  
Glitter Queen

They look real to me but then what do I know. I don't remember a red seal either.

I uploaded a couple of pics to my computer but I haven't a clue on how to get them to show up here. I don't even know where to look to get help in doing this.

Sandee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #69  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandeeleeView Post
They look real to me but then what do I know. I don't remember a red seal either.

I uploaded a couple of pics to my computer but I haven't a clue on how to get them to show up here. I don't even know where to look to get help in doing this.

Sandee

When you reply to a post (I think not quick reply, but it may even be there), you should see two rows of little icons above the box for text entry. The 3rd from the right, bottom row, looks like the landscape icon on cameras. If you click on that it will let you add an image from your PC. The alternative is to use the paperclip icon in the top row, and add images as attachments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #70  
Glitter Queen

<sub></sub><sup></sup>

<sub></sub><sup></sup>
Ta Da! Thank you, Sabrina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 03:56 AM   #71  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Like Rachel pointed out, Bristol is a compromise paper. You can�t use as much water as with watercolor paper. I use it when adding touches of color, or less water than usual. It can�t be worked much. Just my take.
But the colors don’t stain Bristol. Like other papers you use the pen and you get that line that you can’t get rid of. On Bristol it doesn’t sink into the page as much it kinda sits on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2020, 07:27 AM   #72  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I ended up selling these markers because, no matter what paper I tried, I was disappointed in the results.  I have actual watercolors now (Zig Clean Colors are NOT really watercolors), and I'm very happy with what I can do with them.  I've learned to let go of things that I don't like, and not waste time or money trying to like them because someone else said I should.  I'm much happier now. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2020, 11:07 AM   #73  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I have them and never use them. I am also disappointed in the brown 

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2020, 11:43 AM   #74  
Gallery Gazer

What type of brown were you looking for? They have quite a few browns and I have them swatched - more walnut, more reddish, etc? The names don’t give a good sense of color.

Zig Clean Color Brushes are a fave. They were used in an 8-session (?) class when we had to do detailed and super fast coloring, and everyone loved them as is or for blending, smooshing, etc. The techniques are fun. But they’re quite different than a set of watercolors - they’re little fine tipped brush markers. 

While I love them, I’m about ready to get rid of my Copics - not that they’re not excellent. I never pick them up. I took several classes to get semi proficient, so it isn’t being unable. It’s that detailed coloring is so tedious for me. If I had to color in images like in coloring books I’d be expelled from paper crafting. But the Zigs let me fly. 

It’s taken me a while sometimes to sort out the difference between 1) not my cuppa tea, and/or 2) need more skills (and still may not be my cuppa), or 3) a low quality product fail. But one size sure doesn’t fit all, more’s the beauty. 

YMMV 

Last edited by bjeans; 02-02-2020 at 03:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #75  
Stampin' Fool

For any of you on the fence about the Zig markers, have you looked into the Karin Brushmarkers Pro?  I ordered mine directly from the company, they had the best price at the time.  They are juicy, brighter and easy to use; and I like them better than my Zig markers. The full set of 63 has a wonderful color selection and they blend with water or the blender pens that come with the set.  You can also use them for brush lettering if you are proficient at that.  

I have to say, however, if I'm going to watercolor, I really prefer the way watercolor paints perform, rather than markers, but they are fun to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #76  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
For any of you on the fence about the Zig markers, have you looked into the Karin Brushmarkers Pro?  I ordered mine directly from the company, they had the best price at the time.  They are juicy, brighter and easy to use; and I like them better than my Zig markers. The full set of 63 has a wonderful color selection and they blend with water or the blender pens that come with the set.  You can also use them for brush lettering if you are proficient at that.  

I have to say, however, if I'm going to watercolor, I really prefer the way watercolor paints perform, rather than markers, but they are fun to use.

Ditto ditto words in blue. I love Zigs but they are not actual watercolors. They are brush markers with very fine brush tips. They can be used for some watercolor techniques, like how inks can be used for some watercolor techniques: coloring, smooshing, etc. 

I just made a grateful card for our veterinarian and staff using Zigs in one area because I hate to color but don’t mind coloring with Zigs so much due to the speed/tiny brush tip. I should put it in the gallery. 

But for actual watercoloring I use an absurdly cheap Art Loft set (which I will always adore!), a mid range set, Finetec Metallics, handmade watercolors from an artist, or QORs, which are artist grade. A few Daniel Smith are also in the bin now. Oh, I have some liquid watercolors but haven’t tried them. 

Reply With Quote Likes