Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default die cut machine... what to buy?

Hello, I am considering to buy a cutting machine... but I do not know WHAT to buy???
I do not have any so far, what would be the best to start?

Thank you to help me with that matters...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a big shot and I like it. It wasn't a HUGE investment. Good luck with your decision.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

Default Die Cut Machine...what to buy?

First you need to think of the types of materials you will cut MOST. The Big Shot, Cuttlebugs are good for a multitude of types of materials, thin to cardboard/matboard. You would have to buy the dies to use with this system and have a place to store them as the larger dies are bigger than a slice of bread. Luckily many different types of dies work in the Big Shot/Cuttlebugs so you are not limited to one kind or manufacturer of die. If you want an electronic like the Cricut, realize you will not be able to cut the thicker items as easily. The cardtridges are, however, full of different images and you would be able to cut them multi-sized. As far as the Cricut, I have one. Wish I had the bigger one - may sell the original to get the bigger one. I think I'd like to make room decorations for the kids and being able to cut larger items is intriguing. I love my Cricut for lighter weight designer paper and some cardstock and that you can type in what wording you want and walk away and be cutting away! BUT, I still want the ability to cut many different types of materials. I hope this helps, not confuses!

I have the Big Shot, original Sizzix die cutter, Sizzix Sidekick, Cuttlebug, AND the Cricuit and I would not part with any of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

I think it all depends on what your needs are. There are many different cutters out there, both using dies and designing software. If you want to use dies, I don't think you can go wrong with either the Cuttlebug or the Big Shot. For electronic die-cutters, there's everything from the Silhouette, to the Cricut, to the Black Cat line of cutters. It just depends on what you're wanting to do (print and cut? straight die-cutting? embossing? engraving?) and how you want to go about doing it (individual dies vs. cartridges vs. designing software).

There are A LOT of options out there!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #5  
dfc
Embossing Fanatic

Mayanna, I am newbie like you and I decided on the big shot. Like the others said it cuts most things and its super simple to use. My local craft store guy was nice enough to let me test before buying so I fell in love with the Big Shot on first crank. hehe... I dunno if this post is helpful to you, as the others have much more experience but just to let you know that if I can get this machine going, anyone can! Its really simple and works with almost every die/embossing folder...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, it is based on your needs. What do you want the machine to do? Do you want it to just cut? Do you want it to emboss as well? Do you want something electronic or something manual? Manual machines use a variety of dies and can do dry embossing as well. Electronic machines can not emboss in the way a manual can.

I have both and would never get rid of one over the other but if you are a new crafter I would highly suggest a Big Shot. The first kind of dies I would suggest would be some Spellbinders Nestabilities because they are perfect for stamping, they are very versatile and you get a whole lot of bang for your buck. I would also suggest some embossing folders. It would be my recommendation to go with that first, then at a later date perhaps get an electronic machine. I favor the Bosskut Gazelle for electronic machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm a newbie to papercraft, and like many of the others have mentioned, I think a manual machine is good to start with. I have a Big Shot and love it to bits, it is able to cut so many materials, so far I have tried, other than patterned paper and cardstock, cereal box chipboard, cardboard, felt, cotton fabric, burlap, and know that it can also cut those foam sheets, thinner types of metal (though that will make the dies not as longlasting), thin corkboard.

There are many dies to pick from, Sizzix ones aren't the cheapest although I do own a few of those, my favourite types of die is the wafer-thin sort- I can't recomend Papertrey Ink enough for their affordable dies. I recently bought a Nestie set and love that too since you get many sizes with one purchase.

Good luck, whatever you end up buying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2011, 11:56 PM   #8  
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up

Thank you to all of you for your answers.
I have decided to go first with a manuel, and then to buy an electronic one. Later.

For the manuel, I wish to cut, and also to emboss. I have seen that it is possible with many of them. also to use the friskars plates. I risk to find those more easely in Europe...

Now, questions: - I have read that the Wizard is more precised in embossing than the others. Is that right?
I wonder if I choose a big shot or a wizard... what do you think about them?

- Also, why do you have the cuttlebug, and the bigshot, and the sidekick? if they do the same? feels curious here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

The big shot is the way to go-it even cuts bigger dies than the cuttlebug. The BS takes up more room and its heavier so it won't move around on you when you're trying to cut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

This is exactly the discussion I needed! I am finally ready to retire my ancient Sizzix to upgrade to a Big Shot or Cuttlebug. I am just so tired of seeing cool dies out there that I can't use (Nestabilities & Tim Holtz immediately come to mind!). After reading the above, it looks like the Big Shot might be the way to go. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Julie

P.S. I have the original Cricut too and love it. It's be nice to have the larger one, but the space mine takes up is a bonus and the vast majority of the time the 6" x 12" limitation isn't a problem for moi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

i have the cuttlebug and the bigkick, i like the bigkick better. get it at michaels w a coupon and you will have a great machine for a great price ;)

i have my eye on a bigshot pro, but hafta wait til the price comes down more.....or i win the lottery LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2011, 04:20 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I researched a lot of machines lately. I went with the Big Kick (same as Big Shot) because I wanted a stable machine and the cuttlebug looked like it may not stick well to a surface, or be wobbly. Watching the You tube videos made the BK/BS look HUGE, but when I got it, I thought wow, it looked so large on the videos but is smaller than I thought. Use a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. coupon for whatever you buy.
I mostly use it to emboss because I bought a Silhouette and LOVE it. I need to make my own designs for re-sale so the Silhouette lets me use designs without any copyright infringement. You can't use the Silhouette Studios images/3-D objects for re-sale items. I can usually design and cut out anything in the Silhouette I need that the BK/BS dies will do. So I don't have the additional costs of the dies, and the cuttlebug embossing folders work in the BK/BS and are usually inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2011, 05:01 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Im actually thinking about buying an SIlhouette SD so this conversation topic is very handy..

Good to know..Mrs Crafty that you love yours!! I read they are now mac compatible so.... yeah!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2011, 05:10 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

A Silhouette is DEFINITELY on my wish list, too!

Thanks for your thoughts on the Big Shot/Big Kick - that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2011, 01:33 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a Big Shot, Cuttlebug, Bosskut Gazelle, Silhouette SD & Cricut. My DH & I are scaling down our home so we can buy a home. I know that is so funny isn't it? Kind of going backwards there. I practice simplicity and minimalism so I want a smaller home. I am narrowing down my choices between one electronic cutter and one manual.

Electronic cutter has been a nail biter because they have so many different features from one another. The software coming out for them is amazing and now these cutters are becoming akin to each other. Except for the Cricut which is a stand alone cartridge machine. I narrowed it down to the BossKut Gazelle. She is a great mid-level pressure machine at 500 grams. She is a small cutter in size but still cuts at a true 12x12 and longer width. She is pink. I am going through a pink phase now. I really need to get out of this Cricut cartridge phase. My love for simplicity and design tend to overlap one another. I am an excellent designer and can make my own cut files. I can do this with the Gazelle.

Manual cutters- This one is hard to narrow down. I love the Big Shot and I love my Cuttlebug. I love the Big Shot because I work with a lot of mixed media. The Big Shot can take anything you practically throw at it and cut beautiful perfect images. I keep her pristine so I can run different types of fabric through her from silk to fleece.

The Cuttlebug has a special place in my heart. She is my trash machine. What I mean about that I can run so many different coloring mediums through her and she always looks like new after a clean up. She has never failed me. What I don't like about the CB it's very wobbly. The Big Shot is a good sturdy cutter. The Cuttlebug does have a smaller footprint if space is an issue. When the CB is folded out the CB and Big Shot are the same size.

HTH!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

You're welcome! I really wanted the Gazelle, but if I remember right, the price was way too steep for my budget. I am so happy with my Silhouette. With the Cricut, the cartridges are so expensive! Around $79 at Hobby Lobby. I will use my own designs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsCraftyView Post
You're welcome! I really wanted the Gazelle, but if I remember right, the price was way too steep for my budget. I am so happy with my Silhouette. With the Cricut, the cartridges are so expensive! Around $79 at Hobby Lobby. I will use my own designs.
Yep, since Im just a cardmaker.. I dont want/need the cricut that you then have to buy cartridges for ... I dont like that. I just want a good base.. to die cut cute images.. So the silhouette fits the bill for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #18  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayannaView Post
I have decided to go first with a manuel, and then to buy an electronic one. Later.

For the manuel, I wish to cut, and also to emboss. I have seen that it is possible with many of them. also to use the friskars plates. I risk to find those more easely in Europe...

Now, questions: - I have read that the Wizard is more precised in embossing than the others. Is that right?

- Also, why do you have the cuttlebug, and the bigshot, and the sidekick? if they do the same? feels curious here!
I believe you are correct, however, the wizard has been replaced by the grand calibur which cuts and embosses as well, but on a larger format. it can cut/emboss any spellbinders dies, and can hold a standard sheet of cardstock with out trimming first.

I had a cuttlebug first because I got it as a gift, then I got the big shot, (Which was too big)and I then sold them both and now only use my grand calibur.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a thumbs up and Hooray for the lowly little Cuttlebug! It was the first "tool" purchase I made after my papercutter. I got it at Michaels with a 50% coupon about 4 years ago, and I've never had a reason to want to upgrade or buy another manual die cutting machine.

I've accumulated quite a few Nestabilities dies, Papertrey dies, and other brands of dies. They all work great in my Bug. There are info sheets all over the web about how to use different brands of dies in the Cuttlebug.

The CB embossing folders come in a pretty good variety of patterns, too. The Bug will also accept other brands of embossing folders. Again, you might have to experiment a little with which plates to use, but the info is easy to find.

I don't have a dedicated crafting room, and need to move my supplies around, so the small size, weight, and little carrying handle on the Cuttlebug are great for my purposes.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2011, 09:44 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just bit the bullet and bought the Silhouette SD from overstock for $153 yeehaw!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

oops......didn't realize my question was already answered.

Last edited by Caitlyn Jordan; 07-10-2011 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayannaView Post

I have the Sidekick, Sizzix Press, Sizzix BigKick and now the Sizzix Big Shot PRO as well as the Bosskut Gazelle (digital machine)

I have so many because I bought them in that order. 6 years ago I started with the sidekick and little tiny sizzlit dies. Then I loved it so much I bought the Sizzix Press. A year or so after that the Big Kick came out, and I bought it. I have used it to death over the last 5 years (and it still works GREAT), sometimes making thousands of cuts a month on it. I saved for the past 7 months for the Big Shot Pro, and it just arrived on Friday. My Gazelle is a year and a half old and I bought it because I wanted a top notch digital machine that didn't use cartridges but could 12" wide cuts. So far I have been very pleased.....I passed on my sidekick and Press to my sister, and I have kept the Big Kick for my smaller cuts. So I am really down to 3 machines rather than 5.

The Wizard isn't being made anymore, and it's replacement cannot cut thick steel ruled dies, like Sizzix dies, Sizzix Bigz Pro, etc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

yup will agree with everyone, depends what you want to use it for.
I would say start with cuttlebug or big shot to see how you like using dies.
and than save up for an electronic one.

I started with cuttlebug and now mainly use SLICE and Cricut.
I've been considering selling my cuttlebug but cant let go of it yet haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Depends on your preference. But if you want a cricut expression, I have one I want to sell and cartridges. Good Luck choosing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

I love my BigKick....it's simple, makes nice clean cuts, the dies are on sale all the time (I recently got 5 dies for $3.98 each)and it cuts many different materials. I would definitely recommend this for a beginning card artist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbynikkiView Post
I have the Sidekick, Sizzix Press, Sizzix BigKick and now the Sizzix Big Shot PRO as well as the Bosskut Gazelle (digital machine)

I have so many because I bought them in that order. 6 years ago I started with the sidekick and little tiny sizzlit dies. Then I loved it so much I bought the Sizzix Press. A year or so after that the Big Kick came out, and I bought it. I have used it to death over the last 5 years (and it still works GREAT), sometimes making thousands of cuts a month on it. I saved for the past 7 months for the Big Shot Pro, and it just arrived on Friday. My Gazelle is a year and a half old and I bought it because I wanted a top notch digital machine that didn't use cartridges but could 12" wide cuts. So far I have been very pleased.....I passed on my sidekick and Press to my sister, and I have kept the Big Kick for my smaller cuts. So I am really down to 3 machines rather than 5.

The Wizard isn't being made anymore, and it's replacement cannot cut thick steel ruled dies, like Sizzix dies, Sizzix Bigz Pro, etc
LOL~ You sound like me.

I have/had:

Sizzix Press
Sizzix Sidekick
Cricut
Klik N Kut XL
Cricut Expression
Cuttlebug
Big Shot
Big Shot Pro
Grand Calibur
Vagabond

I guess I have a bit of a problem with die cut machines, huh? I have since give away the Sizzix Press, Sizzix Sidekick, Original Cricut, and Cuttlebug. I find that there is no one machine to do it all, which is why I still have so many.

Big Shot is a workhorse and takes the steel-rule dies.
Grand Calibur takes the large format nesties that I use for scrapping and is great for embossing.
Vagabond is just cool. ;) It also gives really great pressure for detailed die cutting.
Big Shot Pro has AMAZING large format dies for scrapbooking and boxes and such.
KNK XL allows me to cut up to 15" wide and design my own cuts (or buy them for cheap)
Cricut Expression is great for kids' school projects or for friends who don't understand the graphic design package of the KNK XL to use. Also doesn't need a computer to work.

I have an entire 10' counter in my scraproom dedicated to cutting machines. :p

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I might have missed it but I didnt see the Slice Elite mentioned...I really love mine. It takes up such a small amount of space and the "cartridges" are small SD cards. I am loving this machine, however, I also have: Cuttlebug, Big Shot and Grand Caliber. I am a bit on the spoiled side by one very special friend who lives far away.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
LOL~ You sound like me.

I have/had:

Sizzix Press
Sizzix Sidekick
Cricut
Klik N Kut XL
Cricut Expression
Cuttlebug
Big Shot
Big Shot Pro
Grand Calibur
Vagabond

I guess I have a bit of a problem with die cut machines, huh? I have since give away the Sizzix Press, Sizzix Sidekick, Original Cricut, and Cuttlebug. I find that there is no one machine to do it all, which is why I still have so many.

Big Shot is a workhorse and takes the steel-rule dies.
Grand Calibur takes the large format nesties that I use for scrapping and is great for embossing.
Vagabond is just cool. ;) It also gives really great pressure for detailed die cutting.
Big Shot Pro has AMAZING large format dies for scrapbooking and boxes and such.
KNK XL allows me to cut up to 15" wide and design my own cuts (or buy them for cheap)
Cricut Expression is great for kids' school projects or for friends who don't understand the graphic design package of the KNK XL to use. Also doesn't need a computer to work.

I have an entire 10' counter in my scraproom dedicated to cutting machines. :p
I'm a total die cut addict. LOVE it. I don't stamp. But I sure do use my machines....you sure have a dream collection!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2011, 03:58 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by babydal57View Post
Vagabond is just cool. ;)
That made me laugh! Just saying that made you a die cutting queen. I always get people who say to me "Why do you have so many die cutting machines?" You can just hear the snippiness in their voice.

Well, it's easy! They are cool! ! I had a perfectly good Red and White Big Kick. She was a workhorse. That Red & White coloring just drove me bonkers. I felt like it was a Fisher Price toy. I know isn't that silly? My DH bought me the Pink & Black Big Shot with the pretty little rhinestones. I love her so much! She's my pretty! I gave my Mom the Big Kick. My DH also bought me an Aqua Expressions too. I have a perfectly good Expression machine. My DH said I have a back up machine now with my old E. I love pretty colors. I am a frugal girl too so you would think I wouldn't succumb to pretty colors right? Who cares! It's cool! ! Plus, my machines were gifts from my doting DH. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #30  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have a cricut expression that I love. I don't have the time or patience when I want to scrap to get out my computer and figure out a cut...I just want to sit down and cut and create!!! It isn't for everyone but it works for me! I also have a big shot pro. I skipped all the smaller ones cause....well, the bsp does it all!!!! All dies!!!! I never have to upgrade to a bigger machine!!!! Love my pro!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes