Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which die cut machine to buy?

I posted this in another thread and they thought I should start a new thread for this question so here it is???

o.k. as one that has none of the die cut machines and is looking at buying one cut to the chase and tell me the pro's and con's. I know the $ is quite diffferent for the main machine but...is the ease of the cricut (electical vs. manual) worth the $? Help please...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 02:16 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I, too, was a die cut novice until last week. I ended up with the Cuttlebug, and have been bitten HARD! Anyway, I could never justify, for me, the cost of an electronic system. The original purchase of the machine, plus all cartridges, could run into a thousand bucks pretty easily given that the cartridges run about $80 each. So for me, a manual system, that touts the versatility that the Cuttlebug says, with the affordability of the folders and dies, was the one I had been waiting for that fit my needs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 02:40 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

what are folders vs. dies? this is soooo confuzin':confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

The dies are to make the die cut shapes, like tags, sliders, and charms, etc. The folders are for embossing (and are WAY cool!). And just like the name, they operate like a folder that opens up, lay the cardstock inside, sandwich with the plates, and run through the Cuttlebug. This machine is VERY user friendly.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the Spellbinder Wizard. I love it! It not only cuts but it embosses too. With this machine, I can also use the Sizzix dies (with an adapter plate, which I believe came with my Wizard ... if not, it costs around $9-$10). I really like the fact that it cuts and embosses.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Here is a link to Provo Craft and the Cuttlebug. There is a ton of info and a video you can watch:

http://www.provocraft.com/products/i...p?cl=cuttlebug

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:49 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would checked out the video presentations on the provocraft site Valarie gave, they are very insightful. I too am a die cut virgin. Up until last week I never even considered buying one. I needed to come up with an idea for my DH to buy me for Christmas (since he just won't give me money for stamps) so I started doing some searching here on SCS and found a whole bunch of people just going gaga over this new product. I think the Cuttlebug looks awesome. I do not have it yet. Was going to be bad and went out to buy it last night but my M's didn't have it.:( I love the fact that it will cut all the different materials, plus is it compatible with other brands of dies. I think the price is great especially if you use a coupon and get it for 40-50% off. I think it will be a great assest to my addiction. Thanks to all the enablers on the thread over in general forum. I think the cricuit looks cool, but it is just too much money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:54 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've seen the Cuttlebug in the Michaels near me. I love the selection of dies and embossing folders.

I have a sizzix and a sizzlet and I did read on the cuttlebug box that the dies and embossing folders could be used with other machines.

Has anyone tried it out yet?
http://marielovestostamp.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I have the Big Shot, and the Cuttlebug templates work perfectly with it, just like all the Sizzlets, Sizzix and Quickutz.

I like the size of the Big Shot platform because you can line up 6 or more dies in one shot and run them all through at once, making alphabets, etc., a lot faster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

I had a cricut, I sold it only because I wasnt using it and paid 300 bucks for it. So I got my money back, and bought stamps instead. Now the price is in the 179 to 199 range with cartridge being 50-60 dollars now. I told myself back in the summer when I sold it that if I find more uses for it and it comes down in the price then I will get it again. So hopefully DH will get the hint. I just got a cuttlebug and some embossing folders and I am in love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:17 PM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Help!

OK, I am interested in purchasing a die cut system but am totally overwhelmed by all the systems and options. I love the cuttlebug dies, but I would love to buy the less expensive sizzix machine. Do they work together? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:22 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliehrr
Depends on what you want to do and cut through!

Cricut by Provo Craft CANNOT pressure/dry emboss, and card stock may be the thickest material it can cut through. It requires electricity and operates on computerized die cartridges; the cartridges can only be used on a Cricut machine and no other. The Cricut cannot use steel rule dies, of course, nor die cartridges made by manufacturers of other electronic die cutting systems. MSRP* on the machine is $299. MSRP on the cartridges is $89, and can feature perhaps a hundred+ die shapes in various sizes, per cartridge.

The Big Shot by Ellison is manual, operating on a roller pressure system. It has its own series of Thick Cuts dies (steel rule) (similar to Sizzix Originals), and Thin Cuts (similar to Sizzlits) CB and Sizzix steel rule dies are compatible with the Big Shot, as are Sizzlit and QuicKuts Wafer style dies, although you may need an adapter or shim to get the best cut on these. MSRP for the Big Shot Starter Kit is $119, and the system features pressure/dry embossing folders based on brass templates. With the addition of an optional Big Impressions Starter Kit (which features a silicone rubber sheet and impressions pad), you should also be able to pressure emboss using other brand brass templates, as per the manufacturer's claims.

The newly released Cuttlebug, by Provo Craft and designed to compliment the Cricut, is a manual roller based pressure system, nearly identical to the Big Shot, however, it features a revolutionary platform that folds up, saving counter space. It ends up taking only half the footprint in storage that the Big Shot requires. MSRP is $80. Cuttlebug machine has its own line of dies and is also compatible with Big Shot Thick Cuts, Thin Cuts, Sizzix Originals, Sizzlits, and QuicKutz dies (with the appropriate adapter plate), and has its own line of embossing folders that are made completely of plastic (no brass). Although the manufacturer does not make any claims, folks suspect they can emboss with non Cuttlebug brand brass templates if they can find the right medium that will cause the paper to be pushed up through the brass templates. Some have tried thick old fashioned mouse pads and claimed success and others have reported dismal results.

*MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. I quote these based on what I've found on the internet, and sales or discounts available at various retailers, whether B & M or online, are not taken into account as they vary considerably from retailer to retailer.

Check out the manufacturers' websites for more info on price ranges of dies for the respective machines.

HTH,

OH, and ETA: Both the Cuttlebug and the Big Shot, because of their manual systems, can flatten bottlecaps.

And, depending on the dies used, these two machines can also cut through fabric, lightweight chipboard, coaster chipboard, felt, fun foam, leather, thin sheet metal, polyshrink, acetate, and plastic stencil material.

Cricut cannot do that.
HTH,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:25 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Thank you so much! That is so helpful!

Stephanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

I just got a Pazzels for my birthday. Oh my it's complicated but I already cut words that I typed....all in one piece...and a jack-o-lantern. This thing can do so much! But I don't think it can do chipboard -am not sure. It can emboss though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

I just returned my Cuttlebug because it has a suction base, much like the Sizzlits machine. Also, just like my sizzlits machine it does not stay stuck but comes up after putting each die through or sometimes midway through the die. Yes, I could hold it down but I would rather get the big shot and not have that headache. All of the dies will fit the big shot. I already have the sizzix and I think it's great, I would just like something that is a little bigger.

For electronic, I have done a ton of research and it seems that the wishblade/craftrobo is the way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 06:13 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace
I just returned my Cuttlebug because it has a suction base, much like the Sizzlits machine. Also, just like my sizzlits machine it does not stay stuck but comes up after putting each die through or sometimes midway through the die. Yes, I could hold it down but I would rather get the big shot and not have that headache. All of the dies will fit the big shot. I already have the sizzix and I think it's great, I would just like something that is a little bigger.

For electronic, I have done a ton of research and it seems that the wishblade/craftrobo is the way to go.
My DH couldn't budge the Cuttlebug from our Corian Countertop, so for me, the suction is perfect.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhappyplace

My Sizzlit's suction cups only work on perfectly smooth surfaces. But when they work, they WORK!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Julie made me get the Cuttlebug today. Can you believe her!!??
Actually I'm tickled pink to finally have my first die cutting machine. It's soo cute and portable and easy to use and very affordable. I could go on and on but I have to go emboss something!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 07:49 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Default Cricut

I had the Sizzix and never used it. I bought a bunch of dies and it just never was right for what I needed at the time. I sold it and all the dies after I got the Cricut. I am thrilled with the Cricut. I have 4 cartridges and have used them more in the two months that I have had it than I used the Sizzix in a few years of having that. The cartridges are cheaper if you get them on the Bay or at Joann's with a coupon. They are even on sale at Michaels this week for a pretty good price. I just love how versatile the styles are, the options and all the sizes. It is so easy to use too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:10 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I have the Cricut and I love it!!!!!

I have 6 or 7 cartridges and I have used it many times already.
The Tags, Boxes, and Bags is an awesome cartridge....I make a lot of that type stuff and have used it many times.

It is pricey but I do believe I will get my $'s worth. It is very easy to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:11 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

i was a tried and true fan of quickutz, mainly because i loved their alpha styles... i am now an avid wishblade fan! it does require a computer and computer skills but it is by far the best thing i have purchased for scrapbooking! I LOVE IT I LOVE IT I LOVE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really think the Cuttlebug is the ideal entry-level die cut machine. It's low cost makes it very easy to start up, and additional die cuts and embossing folders are extremely reasonably priced.

When you decide you want to step up to something more, I think you'll still find plenty of uses for the Cuttlebug. I say go with the Cuttlebug. I got mine for $45 (50% off at Joanne.com). The cartridges start at 5.99 which, when purchased with a 40% coupon, are a tremendous bargain!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:54 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
I really think the Cuttlebug is the ideal entry-level die cut machine. It's low cost makes it very easy to start up, and additional die cuts and embossing folders are extremely reasonably priced.

When you decide you want to step up to something more, I think you'll still find plenty of uses for the Cuttlebug. I say go with the Cuttlebug. I got mine for $45 (50% off at Joanne.com). The cartridges start at 5.99 which, when purchased with a 40% coupon, are a tremendous bargain!
do you have the link? i couldn't find it online, only some of the dies. thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:09 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

CRICUT!!!! I played with a friends and am patiently waiting for mine from EVIL-Bay... Yippeee ....It is soooooooo fabulous!!! Ops is that a mail truck out front???

Dawn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Default Die Cutting Machines

I know there was bad rumors going around about the Xyron Personal Cutting machine but I ADORE mine! It works great throu SU cardstock. My only issue with it is that you have to cut your paper before it goes in. Though the machine is cheaper than the Cricut and the books are far cheaper for only 29-39 dollars for a whole new upper/lowercase collection plus other images.
I've used mine tons and tons...it's wonderful!

(( saving the world one boxer at a time... Adopt a boxer and have someone goofy to scrapbook about.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 03:21 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I have the Wishblade but would get a Craft Robo with the 12X12 format - you could buy two of those by the time you get a die cutter and a bunch of dies. Then you could cut any file imaginable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 05:09 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My question is, which die cut machine is most compatible with other dies?

I'm trying to choose between Big Shot and Cuttlebug to replace my Sizzix.

thanks!
Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 05:17 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

I too vote for Wishblade or CraftRobo, I am taking a class by yahoo group from the online store where I bought mine. You can do so much more, heck you can scan and then trace any dies that you or a friend have and then cut them out too. Not to mention that you can resize them. You can also cut out any clipart you trace and it can cut any ttf font right out of the gate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 08:06 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I have to say that, in a perfect world, I would have both the Cuttlebug for quick, portable use, as well as the Craft Robo. In the long run, I do agree that the CR/WB machine is the most cost effective, all around most versastile system. Still, the initial cost of it was way more than I could swing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 08:24 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

I've been telling myself for about a month that I don't need a die cutting machine, but I just know I'm gonna cave. Right now I'm leaning toward the Cuttlebug. Can anyone tell me how heavy it is? I'm a school-based occupational therapist and would love something I could carry to school to use with my kids. The Sizzix is way too heavy to do that.
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Costco has the bigshot through the 27th for 54.00 and free shipping online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 09:31 AM   #32  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momofoneson
Costco has the bigshot through the 27th for 54.00 and free shipping online.
It's really a great deal, and it's a great machine! I own both the BS and the CB and trying to determine which to keep . . . they're both awesome!

I will say that the BS Starter Kit does come with one embossing folder, and a Thick Cuts and Thin Cuts die, so you can test 'em out immediately, whereas the CB does not come with any of those items, and must be purchased separately.

If it is of any help:

The Big Shot does seem more "stable" due to it's platform design, which does not fold up; the weight of the machine is more evenly distributed, and therefore helps stabalize the machine better, IMHO, than the CB (weight is dead center on the CB), if its suction cups disengage.

The CB's suction will hold well on extremely smooth surfaces, like glass or marble, but if you have matte counter top, it will probably lose its grip if you're working with a tight fitting die, which can make the handle a little harder to turn, and subsequently can cause the machine to shift/lift from the table. You may really need to stabalize it with your left hand on top of it, and put some weight down from the top so you can finish cranking through. Working on a lower counter surface may help, or simply being a taller person, will provide more leverage in that regard.

I seem to naturally and intuitively place my hand on the handle of the Big Shot, no matter what I'm cranking through it, and yes, it can shift a little when cranking through something more tight, but, IMHO, it doesn't seem to destabalize as easily as the CB does, when it loses suction.

I honestly believe anybody would be thrilled with the Big Shot, if space savings is not an issue.

I'm STILL debating whether the space savings on the counter is worth keeping the CB to forego the Big Shot. I admit I am a little more comfortable working with the Big Shot, because I've had it for 2 months, and am used to its nuances.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

I've been reading through the threads about these machines, but I don't think I've seen this answered yet. Will the Big Shot work with the Cuttlebug embossing folders?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #34  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
I've been telling myself for about a month that I don't need a die cutting machine, but I just know I'm gonna cave. Right now I'm leaning toward the Cuttlebug. Can anyone tell me how heavy it is? I'm a school-based occupational therapist and would love something I could carry to school to use with my kids. The Sizzix is way too heavy to do that.
I haven't wieghed it, but my 8 yo son can lift it and carry it with the built in handle.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Loiselle
I think I read on the provocraft website that it weighs 9 lbs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Well, thanks to this post, I just ordered the Big Shot from Costco. I have been looking at it and had almost convinced myself to get it, but the $17 shipping charge was making me wait. I thought that maybe I would be able to get it from Joann.com after Thanksgiving during a big sale or something. However, I just HAD to open this post and saw Terri (momofoneson) say that Costco had free shipping on this until the 27th. I figure that I will never find it much cheaper than that! Thanks to all you enablers!!!

Connie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 12:36 PM   #37  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by godchick
I've been reading through the threads about these machines, but I don't think I've seen this answered yet. Will the Big Shot work with the Cuttlebug embossing folders?
Yes! It does!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered the Big Shot on Costco.com with free shipping today. I figure it has enough compatibility and features for me and it sure will beat the ole sizzix!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2006, 06:14 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

I did it too! Ordered the Big Shot from Costco and of course NOW I have to wait!!! oh well I have a bird to keep me busy until it gets here
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2006, 12:49 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Question Big Shot

Will the Big shot take the sizzlits and the embossing templates simple Impressions???
Reply With Quote Likes