Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-03-2016, 04:03 PM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3View Post
I feel like a member of AA......Last night I purchased Prima's new Watercolor Confections!! even the name is sugary and addicting!!!!! I ran across some product reviews and videos by chance, and yep, got sucked right in, Yeah, I'm hopeless, I know.......... can I join the group????????
Hello, lovetostamp. We're all on that edge, so we understand! Now, did you get all three color collections?? Frankly, I wouldn't of been able to resist and would have bought all three. Nuthin like playing with water!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 06:11 PM   #42  
Stampin' Fool

Of course I did!!!! You didn't really think with my last rant, that I controlled myself and stopped at one, did you????? lol Yes, hook, line, and sinker.......I will be the proud owner of all three sets to test and try? Dini, will you be next?????? Hummmm???? :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 06:41 PM   #43  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have more than a mere mortal has a right to own.

I do love collecting dies and paper as much as making the cards - I realized this recently. I have put the brakes on any purchases because I really just don't need to buy it any more. I already own enough tools, dies, paper and more dies to last a life time. If I buy one more Spellbinder die, I need to become a designer for them to justify the hoard I have.

I go through stages. I buy till the house seems ready to split at the seams and something clicks and I stop buying for a couple of years and use what I have. I am in lock down mode now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've pretty well quit the new trendy get it now bandwagon - I watch and see if I really like something enough to invest in it for the long haul...Did finally buy the Minc (did the Anna Griffin version from HSN and got the BEST deal around hands down!) but that was over a year after it debuted. I can always do wedding invitations, other kinds of special cards for my business with a classic foiled look to them, no problem.

What I discovered about new stamp sets - never ever buy a stamp set without a clear vision of what/how I'm going to use it. If I can't imagine the card I'm going to make with it, I don't buy it, because it will sit on my shelf unused for lack of a vision. For lack of time, I won't just get it out and "play" - it just doesn't happen right now sadly. And rarely has happened in the last 6 years. So I had to stop doing that. Same with supplies - I've started using more watercoloring - but it has taken me months to decide on one really good set of paints. I have other methods I use, but I took my time deciding on which set I would use. Just got it yesterday - YAY! In the past - I'd have had five. And loved them all.

I'm just more selective, and slower to pick. Still have three die cutting machines. If/when I get the Platinum - 2 of the others will go. 2 will need to - they are aging out! But that's a ways out, and I frequently use 2 at a time - one to cut, one to emboss. Saves me time.

Not quite enough - but I do have all the fun toys. And I'm still paring down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 02:27 AM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Have enough craft stuff?

I say that all the time and then something new comes out. I just can't live without it. Oh well keeps me working and out of trouble. 😊
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 07:18 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

If the world stopped spinning today, and not another piece of paper, cardstock, glitter, ribbon, stamp, etc was made....I have enough in my craft room to keep me going until long after I am dead and buried..... But I am a magpie...oh shiny thing must have it, oh another shiny thing must have it, oh look that's pretty, oh so is that, so is this.....I collect craft supplies.

Now I will confess my acquisitions have slowed down dramatically in the last few years! I still can't resist even though one side of my brain is telling me to behave, the other impulsive creative side is telling me I NEED IT!

If I am honest what I really NEED is time.....time to enjoy my stash, to play, create, dream...life has this terrible tendency to overtake....work, cooking, cleaning, groceries and I need to add my creative time into that somewhere, but at the moment I am not juggling all my balls very well lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

Default 2016: The Year of RECYLING STAMPS: A New Stamper Who Is Taking This Advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by angie1224View Post
I watch on other groups when people post pictures of their hauls and I cringe when they do impulse buys of new tools because hey it's fresh from CHA! I look at stuff and think do I really need that and most of the time the answer is no. I am now one of those people that tells new stampers, stay away from the trends find what you love and focus on that, take classes to expand your creativity, but don't shop till you drop or you run out of space ;)
I started making greeting cards in 2013, enjoying my new hobby. But what I found, was, with every new video tutorial, craft classes, and/or "how to" lessons on the Internet, I was buying way too many stamps, dies, inks, paper, etc. We actually moved to a larger house just to accommodate our new hobbies. And, now I have this lovely craft room/photography room, aka game room, just for me, and my husband has his very own study and his very own workshop. I would comment on many popular crafting websites that why didn't they show many ways to use a specific stamp or die or both so that you could get a more justified use of the product.

Thank you, Angie, for your post, which I quoted a small excerpt from the original post . . . I'm taking your advice and recycling my stamps and dies, thinking of creative ways to take ideas from the Internet and using the stuff I already own. This is absolutely GREAT ADVICE!

Also, is there a place that you can trade or sell excess stamps and dies?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2016, 07:54 AM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, there is always something really neat that is needed...right? I have purged my stash of everything a couple of times; donated to teachers for art projects. Feels good to know is it going to be used by the kids to create fun projects. That feel goodness is my excuse to go ahead and get that next really neat stamp, or die, or paint..love all the new tools too! It all makes me happy and it is therapeutic AND, I have set limits for my credit card which helps. All makes sense to me, so it works and I don't feel guilty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 02:21 AM   #49  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kandfoto.comView Post
I would comment on many popular crafting websites that why didn't they show many ways to use a specific stamp or die or both so that you could get a more justified use of the product.

Thank you, Angie, for your post, which I quoted a small excerpt from the original post . . . I'm taking your advice and recycling my stamps and dies, thinking of creative ways to take ideas from the Internet and using the stuff I already own. This is absolutely GREAT ADVICE!

Also, is there a place that you can trade or sell excess stamps and dies?
Online Card Classes offers a few classes on Stretching Stamps and Dies. There is a buy sell group here on Splitcoast and several dedicated groups on Facebook as well. I didn't want to mess with shipping and stuff so I just posted on my local freecycle group and chose the folks that got the stuff from the emails they sent me. Giving it away to brand new stampers was a lot of fun lol, the one gal who I contacted several times brought me cards to get my opinion on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2016, 05:29 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been trying to use up the things I have first.
I do have a hard time using some of my special embellishments
afraid I won't be able to find more. I used to be that way with certain
papers until it was way out of control.
As far as stamps I was doing the trendy thing too, but now I see that
I have a lot of image type stamps and but very little in way of sentiments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2016, 10:11 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Never... and I've been at this for 20 years.

However, I need to clarify: I do more "supply using" than I do "supply collecting".
Plus, after I have used things for a while, stamps especially, I get tired of them and sell them to make room for new ones.
I'm with you on this. I have been stamping some 18 years now and still have some of my original stamps as well as new ones. I have purged along the way and have only one type of dye ink (got rid of all of my Distress, Adirondack and CTMH inks and am sticking with SU only) and one type of pigment inks (ColorBox) and the same thing with card stock, markers, etc. I have a beautiful stamp cabinet that holds all my wood mounted stamps (I prefer ready-mounted stamps) and if I really want a new stamp, I will get rid of some I don't use to make room for it. I am finding I really enjoy the "minimalism" and being able to use most of my stamps over and over, not just once or twice in their lifetime. It forces me to be creative and give all my stamps the love they deserve. I am really opposed to so many machines/toys/equipment. I did purchase a Cuttlebug years ago and use that for basic dies and embossing folders, but my style is more stamping than using layers of die cuts. I can't think of any other special machine I have or would need---no Misti for me, my old plastic stamp positioner works perfectly; don't want a Minc (had to look up on line to find out what is is) even though the results are beautiful, I can iron on that stuff if I want; I have very few punches as I would rather fussy cut; Don't have Bisters or Color Bursts, although they intrigue me; no gelli plates (an old palate stamp does fine; and I could go on. That being said there was a time that I jumped at a few new fads that I didn't realize weren't me, and quickly got rid of them. It is good to learn your style and what makes you happy. So, happy crafting everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2016, 11:50 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
As a sometimes scrapbooker turned card maker, I reached the "I have enough" stage with paper some time ago. Though I did buy a stack of 8x8 paper last fall. I bought it with a specific purpose in mind and have used it for a couple additional projects. So, in my mind, I was justified.

I've often thought I have enough other supplies--until that challenge, that request or that event arises and I don't have what I need to complete the tast. Most recently, it was a request for a set of sympathy cards. I had one sympathy stamp, so a few days ago I ordered a sympathy set with several sentiments.

One of the things that keeps my stamp size from exploding is NOT jumping on "unique & trendy" bandwagons. Yes, it is adorable. And I absolutely do love what others are doing with it. Just knowing that everyone and their sister is buying it is enough of a hint that I will soon be tired of seeing the image and won't want to use it multiple times.

I believe the key to having just the right amount is to buy only what you love and know that you will use over and over again, and to bless someone else with those items that no longer suit your style or your needs.
I like this attitude and try to do this as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Heart

What an interesting topic. And one I have pondered many, many times. if you think about it, the whole American economy runs on consumerism. As an example, in the artful industry, every company is reaching out to part us of our money. New this, improved that...this years pattern but so similar to last years'...it's an endless hamster wheel! Said company must generate sales so the advertising begins...whipping up the desire that we must have the latest or the mostest (I admit, I have Rainbow~itis). Oh, Basic Grey is going out of business, I want to 'HUNT' down every old 6x6 paper pad I never got!

For me, a saner approach is to use what I have, buy what I truly need, and be happy that I'll never be a style maven...I like the funky, old stuff. My first Stampin' Up sets were from Goodwill. I had never heard of Stampin' Up, came across this HUGE pile at the GW...promptly went home and researched SU!, drove back to the GW the next morning and bought all the sets there. They are still old, but I like OLD stuff!!! That was 10 years ago. I've bought a few SU! new things over the years, but then I am not trying to build a business selling.

Sometimes it is about the thrill of finding something that makes your heart sing. That's wonderful, just take care use what brings you joy.

Thanks for reading and I hope I have said all this in a kind way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KendelView Post
I have way more than plenty!!!
For a while, the buying was a stress response to a terrible period in our family's life. But that also created a habit, which took/is still taking some real will-power to change.

Three things that help me reduce the buying:
1). Unsubscribe from coupons from Michaels. It was like they were emailing to invite me over to a party planned just for me. Who could resist? And all those bargains, that seemed an obligation to buy!

2) When I have the urge to just jump in the car and go "browse" at the big craft stores, I try to remind myself that I could actually use that time with the stuff I already own, and have lots of fun making something delightful.

3). Enjoy crafty videos that focus on generic types of projects (flip cards, pop up boxes, neat ways to use basic dies) that I could use MY stuff to make. Lindsey the Frugal Crafter is probably my favorite. I like her view of supplies: Use what you already have, which she applies, even when she's showing off some particular product.

Still, I spend more than I should. But I'm getting it under control better. And now I must leave you to go chop on some of that mountain of paper I have collected! ;)
I use Michael's, Joann's, etc. coupons for things I use up all the time---especially tape and glue. Perhaps I need paint or thread (I sew, too), but I always use my coupons. If I don't need a coupon designed for a particular thing, I throw it out, but if I have a backlog of tape, I know I will use it up eventually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #55  
Mad Swapper

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by glendakView Post
I have been trying to use up the things I have first.
I do have a hard time using some of my special embellishments
afraid I won't be able to find more. I used to be that way with certain
papers until it was way out of control.
As far as stamps I was doing the trendy thing too, but now I see that
I have a lot of image type stamps and but very little in way of sentiments.
Oh that "I'm only going to use _______ (insert whatever it is in the blank) on my "Special Cards" hoard!!! I'm still struggling with that. But, I am VERY proud of myself for FINALLY cutting into my last piece of this really cool dsp that I have had for about 8 years now. I just cut it over this past weekend and I'm still alive!! Yay for me!!!

As for stamps.... I think I have some really nice sentiments. But, then there comes that next project and ARGG!!! LOL :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 02:41 AM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by CottageBlissView Post
Hello, lovetostamp. We're all on that edge, so we understand! Now, did you get all three color collections?? Frankly, I wouldn't of been able to resist and would have bought all three. Nuthin like playing with water!
They arrived, and boy, are the colors gorgeous!!! I'm so glad I was greedy and had to have all three!! They'll work great on the new release sets I ordered from Ellen Hutson! Even though I was going to resist, there were so many that worked great with watercolors!!! I had to temper myself! This was one of her better releases, so much to choose from!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 03:23 AM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craf-T-BearView Post
Oh that "I'm only going to use _______ (insert whatever it is in the blank) on my "Special Cards" hoard!!! I'm still struggling with that. But, I am VERY proud of myself for FINALLY cutting into my last piece of this really cool dsp that I have had for about 8 years now. I just cut it over this past weekend and I'm still alive!! Yay for me!!!

As for stamps.... I think I have some really nice sentiments. But, then there comes that next project and ARGG!!! LOL :rolleyes:
Oh, I am so with you ladies here! I have papers/vellums I bought years ago,and I know I'll never get them again, as they were K & Co retiring ones. So, yes, I've been saving them for 'something special'. Last week, I had a thought- aren't ALL our handcrafted beauties supposed to be special?
So I am forcing myself to use them now. I mean, when you think about it, it's a ridiculous thing to do, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 02:52 PM   #58  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I was a hobby su demo for years(7) and so I bought what equal s 100.00 a month on supplies I had two maybe three ws a year so I had lots of stuff. One day I looked at my overflowing room and said enough now I have a demo (who helps feed my addiction) and if I dont have the money or just dont want then I dont buy. My worst time is Christmas I MUST have those stamps, not sure why.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeView Post
I was a hobby su demo for years(7) and so I bought what equal s 100.00 a month on supplies I had two maybe three ws a year so I had lots of stuff. One day I looked at my overflowing room and said enough My worst time is Christmas I MUST have those stamps, not sure why.
I was with TAC for 10 years and was a really good customer ;) I still have stamp pads from them and a ton of stamps that I love. Christmas is also what I find hardest to resist, the papers, the stamps, the dies, the embossing folders. Oh my!!! I claim it's because my birthday is Dec 24th so my love of the month and winter is just really strong lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 04:51 AM   #60  
Cardstock Collector

I too am a 20 year+ stamper. I have an 12 x 16 bedroom from when dd married that is all craft supplies, most of it stamps. And I wouldn't get rid of a single one. Yes, they are all wood mounted. Then 3/4 of the converted garage is my working area. The other 1/4 is the tv, etc for all my must haves like Netflix and cable. The printer and computer are in dh's office. ( Of course I told dh when he could take my stamps and build them to match the dimensions of his boat, not to mention the kayaks, and mountain bikes, I would agree that I have plenty of stamps--lol) That said from 1996 until about 2012 I was mailing out around 500 Christmas and the same number of Easter cards and about 400 birthday cards each year. We belong to a large church and I felt it was my calling. Now I have some health issues and have practically stopped stamping. Our once fabulous stamp store here in San Antonio was sold about 5 years ago to a group of ladies that didn't keep inventory on hand. Even when I would offer to pre-pay, they would say that they were going to have an order going in soon and they would call when they restocked the area. This was one of the breaking points for me since I was wanting to invest in Copics. I have heard that it has since closed. However I am still doing a lot of things like art journaling and (oh senior moment) that art journaling in the margins of the Bible. However I gave my wide margin Bible to my dd because I am old-school and use the margins for notations. But I am happier since I am not limited by such a small space. I follow a site that journals on Sunday afternoon and I use all my stuff then. DI don't know if the official name of the site is May-May but I found her on You Tube. I love all my stuff now that I have had a large purge of papers, ribbons and bellies when my dd's church was having a huge teen mission trip fund raiser. There is a organizing scrap-booking site that I will look up the name if anyone wants to know since it has vacated my head at this moment. One of the best tips I have ever received is to look at something and decide if you are going to use it at least one time for each dollar it costs. Her illustration is a train stencil. The cost is $10 and it's really adorable and her family is into trains, but she likes a lot of variety in her pages. After looking at the stencil, she decided that she didn't want to use the same train ten times since most of the pages, cards, etc. would be to family members. Also it would be better to buy or make a more generic train and alter it. That way she has more variety and can customize it more for her customers. That got me to thinking that if the train stencil was great for the 8-10 year old set did I really want to use it if I was sending it to our pastor or to 10 of the 8-10 year olds. Even with a large church, the chances were great that all 10 train loving kids would be in the same class. I also tend to buy only the big ticket items that I know I will love and really use. For example: I had a Sizzix but I didn't like that the one I had had to be pushed through and was heavy as all get out. So when the cuttlebug came out I readily bought one for myself and one of the kid ones for the grand-daughters and when they out-grew it let them sell it for spending money. I don't have a Cricket and really don't want one. I know shocking isn't it, My dd wants me to get one. lol I bought the home-pro eyelet setter that weighs a ton, but I love it and would do it again since I have hand problems and it has bits for about 6 different sizes and rivets and punches holes. Super easy for me since I don't have to put all the pressure on my hands. Would I recommend it for most people? Absolutely not. It's big, weighs a ton, and is super-expensive. I think it was way over $100. years ago, and just to set eyelets? However the day I can no longer get Xyron refills is going to be a day marked in mourning forever. Those machines have saved my sanity. Bulletin boards at church and all the fussy cutting I do for myself would have sent me round the bend if I had had to use glue, red liner or even score-tape. Dry adhesive dots and I just like to decorate everything except paper. We seem to be in-laws. So I say buy until you feel guilty and create your little heart out and spread sunshine even on your lousiest days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 04:52 AM   #61  
Cardstock Collector

Wow sorry that post was so long. It didn't look that way on this little screen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel 2View Post
Wow sorry that post was so long. It didn't look that way on this little screen.
Read Every word and Enjoyed it!

Was crazy, those ladies in SA, almost like they were trying to go out of business!

Last edited by CottageBliss; 04-01-2016 at 07:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #63  
Inking Addict

I think I should be clicking out of this thread instead of posting...lol. I don't want to annoy somebody by sayin' this but- I'm the type that can't afford a whole lot of extra stuff beyond the basics (cardstock and what not)- whatever I buy is somethin' i'm gonna get good use out of, so... whenever I see a post about havin' a stamp set for years and never usin' it- seriously? I mean yeah, I've got my Big Shot and my Cricut and a small collection of dies and cartridges (none of which was bought full price), but- before I bought any of them I knew I was gonna use them a lot. My wood mount stamps (a lot of older ones- mostly from Hobby Lobby or Mike's) fit on two 4 foot long shelves, and my cling stamps consist of about 7 or 8 sets, and I've got maybe 10 distress inks plus a few other kinds- some of them I've had since I was about 9 and still use them. I bought a stamp set in November of last year and I haven't bought another until just a few days ago when I ordered Bird Crazy, and I really haven't bought much else between then either, but- I've made a bunch of cards and I loved how they turned out! I don't know, I guess I'm just trynna say you don't have to have loads of stuff, or all the newest stuff, to be able to make cool cards- and not that I wouldn't like to be able to get some more new stamps than I can, but......... Ok, I'll stop now;) and I hope I haven't ticked anybody off with what I said...just was lettin' off a little steam!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #64  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlitterPrincessView Post
I think I should be clicking out of this thread instead of posting...lol. I don't want to annoy somebody by sayin' this but- I'm the type that can't afford a whole lot of extra stuff beyond the basics (cardstock and what not)- whatever I buy is somethin' i'm gonna get good use out of, so... whenever I see a post about havin' a stamp set for years and never usin' it- seriously? I mean yeah, I've got my Big Shot and my Cricut and a small collection of dies and cartridges (none of which was bought full price), but- before I bought any of them I knew I was gonna use them a lot. My wood mount stamps (a lot of older ones- mostly from Hobby Lobby or Mike's) fit on two 4 foot long shelves, and my cling stamps consist of about 7 or 8 sets, and I've got maybe 10 distress inks plus a few other kinds- some of them I've had since I was about 9 and still use them. I bought a stamp set in November of last year and I haven't bought another until just a few days ago when I ordered Bird Crazy, and I really haven't bought much else between then either, but- I've made a bunch of cards and I loved how they turned out! I don't know, I guess I'm just trynna say you don't have to have loads of stuff, or all the newest stuff, to be able to make cool cards- and not that I wouldn't like to be able to get some more new stamps than I can, but......... Ok, I'll stop now;) and I hope I haven't ticked anybody off with what I said...just was lettin' off a little steam!
You didn't offend me. I feel we're all entitled to our view or opinion, and we shouldn't be judged on what we feel. Some of us can afford to buy what we want, others can not, and that shouldn't come into play. This is our hobby and my feeling is I should be enjoying it.

To bring that back to the purpose of this thread however, I found myself having a real "Moment of Truth" last night when I was looking to purchase an item I "thought" I needed to have. I went looking at some similar items I had, that could easily work instead, and realized not only did I not need to buy this item, but I was falling into familiar territory. I will confess I've done this before when it comes to buying. Nothing that has gotten me into serious trouble, mind you, but I think have bought to fill a more emotional need, rather than a stamping need. Currently my mother is in hospice and not doing well. I have found from other losses, when I am in these "I have no control" situations, I go to what I do have control over - buying little odds and ends for my stamping needs!!! As I said, I don't get myself into a financial situation, I can afford what I'm buying, but I may not NEED what I'm buying. And, having "been there, done that", I found myself putting the brakes on last night after some bad news, saying "I don't need anything else, I have plenty!!! You know what you're doing here, ENOUGH!" It worked.......for now.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 131 Likes on 46 Posts

When I was a scrapbooker, especially after stores began to close, every time I found a scrapbook store in our travels, I would "stock up" with stuff I thought I'd need, because When would I find another store? I couldn't possibly use it all. But it made me crazy that I could never find, in all that stash, stuff that "went" together.

Now I'm an SU demo. I got rid of most of my non- SU stuff because it didn't go with anything anyway. I kept one box of Graphic 45 which I wll never use. It's for me to leaf through, once or twice a year, enjoy, and put back in the box until next time. I'm not tempted in the big box stores - rarely even go there unless I need yarn or a frame or something - because the stuff I already have and buy from myself is nicer.

I have a lot of stamps. But If I buy it and don't love it enough to use it - it moves on out as soon as it retires. If I love it, I'll keep it til I don't love it, but not "hoarding" stuff because it's too nice to use, or it cost so much or whatever.

Back in the 80s, we lived in Germany. I sent my father a set of crystal old fashioned glasses. He dusted them every week but never used them. I told my spouse after dad was gone in 1991 that I was going to use those glasses for juice. He said "what if you break one??" What if I do? At least I will have enjoyed using them every day. They've got a couple chips here and there, but I'm still using them, with pleasure, 25 years later.

Same with paper. USE it, where it will bring pleasure to you and others. Or get rid of it and bless someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 05:09 PM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

LoveToStamp3...sending ((hugs)) and encouragement as you walk thru this very difficult time. I too have bought emotionally and can now talk myself down for good reason or splurge if I find I LOVE something.

LindaBabe, It is awesome having items that 'go with' other items and in the same color tones!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Lovetostamp3: So sorry to hear about your mother - I went through that with mine and it's a real emotional roller coaster. Love and light to you! AND - even though you stopped yourself, I don't think that anyone would begrudge you whatever it takes for you to feel a bit better - or just take your mind off of things for a minute. If the looking and thinking about the purchase fulfilled that without actually spending the money, then that's all good, too...

LindaBabe: I totally agree with using things, rather than hoarding them for a "special" occasion or whatever. I inherited my grandmother's silverware - real sterling, a beautiful pattern, lots of serving pieces, etc., but I never used it - just wasn't my "thing". My youngest sister LOVES it, and didn't inherit anything (too many others ahead of her in line), so I gave it to her. There is no way to demonstrate in words how amazingly giddy and grateful she was to receive it! Her joy increased mine WAY more than the silverware could have - AND she uses it all the time! For whatever reason, we seem to form more attachments to our crafty "possessions", so I have to wonder if maybe they're possessing us...?

GlitterPrincess: I've been where you are as far as not being able to get a bunch of stuff, and getting the most use out of what you have. Not a bad way to go, actually, and I'm starting to move back in that direction - downsizing and re-evaluating and all the rest of it. Two of my daughters are interested in stamping now, so I'm gifting them my castoffs. I think that you're being wise, and I think that you are probably using more creativity than many who have more toys - out of necessity, maybe, but still... Good for you, I say!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 06:37 PM   #68  
Rubber Obsessor

GlitterPrincess, I agree with Gregzgurl...I think it is prudent to limit purchases and not go overboard buying, whether by necessity or choosing to do so.

I didn't want to be one of the girls on YouTube with a huge craft room stocked full. Not that it isn't perfectly wonderful for them, it simply wouldn't be for me. I enjoy watching to see the organization items they use. Perhaps if I were younger and/or holding classes or had a huge family to make scrapbooks, mini albums and cards for or my kids were girls rather than boys, maybe I would have gone in that direction.

Now that downsizing is in my future, it is nice to know I can still fit my stuff in a corner of a room rather than NEEDING a She Shed cause I can't bear to part with my stuff.

I think we all find our comfort zone, one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 11:58 AM   #69  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stamps/stamp sets I'll keep buying. I'm saving up to buy new inks pads. The ones I have are so old and are not working for me. Not buying paper, embellishments, anything "trendy". For me it helps to just "purge" every few months. Never go into craft shop to just "look", don't watch haul videos, and use what you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 12:28 PM   #70  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha! I just looked back at my first post to this thread. Targeted buying, right! Who am I kidding? Nobody except myself. So I'll stop right now and answer the question truthfully:

No. I have not reached the point where I think I have enough. I don't believe it will ever happen, either. Unless I stop stamping completely. Then I'll have too much. So there's no winning, only giving in to the inevitable. This hobby is an obsession/ addiction/money pit. Which I seem all too happy to feed. Why? Because buying new stuff is more fun than almost anything. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2016, 08:43 AM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have not been doing paper crafting for a long time and have to constantly limit myself. It's so easy to get caught up in the latest trend.

What I wish I had know at first - buy the good quality products
-- buy what you love and will use. (AND will use ) - statement to self
--don't buy stuff only because it's on sale / clearance
-- spend money on classes
--buy one ink pad in that brand you want to try and test it. Then buy the rest or another brand to test. Right now I have the whole set of memento luxe ink and I love it. Still can't find a good reliable dye inks set. My ice wants to have all one brand.

Thank you for this great thread
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2016, 09:04 PM   #72  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rnruns60View Post
I've been stamping and collecting supplies( more collecting than card making to be honest) for about a year now. Each month I vow to not buy anymore and then a new product comes out or I watch a new video showcasing a product or technique that I am interested in. I had a birthday in Jan and spent all of my gift money on supplies as I did for Christmas . I just bought my last tool, the Minc, have a good supply of paper, ink , and stamps, and I think I'm done for a long while. I looked at the latest card kits that have come out and none tempt me. Even the newest releases by the stamp companies kind of look the same to me as other things I have. I mean how many flower stamps do I need or birthday stamps? So, did you reach a point where enough was enough? Were you able to stick with not buying anymore? The thing about it is I really enjoyed the supply collecting and haven't spent more than I can budget,but i think I'm saturated now!
Yes, I have reached the point where I said, "I have enough supplies." Lasted about 15 seconds -- until the next shinny thing came along. lol Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 07:04 AM   #73  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sort of echoing Copperkids here- don't get dragged into the trends, or worse, believe the hype about a product. Typical examples- the Staz-on 'pastel opaque' colours, and the Versamark 'Dazzle' pads.
The Staz-on I bought to use on things like acetate, to glitter behind, and they are AWFUL. No other word for it. Need re-inking every time you use them, the ink is horribly sticky, one pad has had the inner clear plastic lid stick to it, then dry, so ripping a corner of the pad when peeled off.
The Versamark Dazzle- just why? I really don't think it looks any different to the original. I certainly see nothing to shout about.
So, my advice would be, EITHER, wait a while, and see what other real crafters are saying about a product, not just the professionals being paid the push it. If possible, get to try it out/see it in real life, before committing to it.
As far as trends go, think: Do you really, really like that style( not just because it's the latest from whoever)?
Will you still be able to/want to use it after the next must have fashion item comes along?
Obviously some things will always be once a year occasions, but for anything else, will you get more than one use out of it?
Inkpads- again, as Copperkids says, dip your toe in. Try one, see if you like it. Many inkpads have full size, and mini sized pads- Memento/Versafine/Brilliance/Distress all spring to mind. A great way to try lots of different pads without too much outlay. And probably the best thing you can do is come on here and ask questions. Some people will have the product and be able to give you warts and all info on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 07:46 AM   #74  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't think I will every say I will not buy anything else . However now I think about things more carefully before I buy them. Not just because of the money but the storage space.

I am careful how many items I buy of anything that is liquid. Pens, Markers, Ink pads , paints, stickles , glue , etc. ALL dry up over time .
Will I really use ALL the colors in a collection ?

When I began this paper craft hobby I bought lots of ribbon when it was on sale only to find although all of the ribbons were lovely colors , but they didn't go with any paper I had . Now I have White, red , dark green and black. I use my copics to color the white ribbon any other color I need.

I made lots of package bows for gifts with the other ribbon White gift paper background stamped with a color that would match the ribbon I was using worked great. And I made large generous bows to get rid of the stuff. 8-)
I bought stickers when I started and found I didn't like those either so I used those up making gift tags.

I don't follow the latest trends I make what I like . I missed out on the trends of sewing on cards, fiber on cards , sequins , buttons, distress markers ( my Memento and tombow markers are fine) alcohol ink techniques, glimmer mist , stickles and many other trends .
I love dies and use them on every card I make so those are a good investment for me. I love making paper flowers and use them on all female cards so stamps and dies for flowers are a good investment for me .

If you know what you really like you can evaluate any new product to see if is is something you will really use or do you have something similar and therefore no need to buy the new offering.

How many fence, butterfly or window dies can we use ?

I also avoid buying bundles of anything. Companies try to bundle popular items with less popular items that I may never use. I won't buy a bundle of anything just to get the one item I want .

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 04-04-2016 at 07:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2016, 08:05 PM   #75  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Right now I'm in a mode where I would rather use things I have than buy more. When I was making a lot of cards for Operation Write Home, I was buying stuff like crazy, always following new releases and buying more. But right about the time OWH ended, I started going to college. Now I'm only able to make a handful of cards a week, if that, and I have so much stuff it's almost overwhelming sometimes. So the only things I've really bought in the last year are some cardstock in colors I was running low on and some SU sets that I wanted to use for scrapbooking, which I'm getting back into.

I never thought I would lose the desire to keep buying, but sometimes changes in life just make that happen.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 05:07 AM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstieberView Post
Right now I'm in a mode where I would rather use things I have than buy more. When I was making a lot of cards for Operation Write Home, I was buying stuff like crazy, always following new releases and buying more. But right about the time OWH ended, I started going to college. Now I'm only able to make a handful of cards a week, if that, and I have so much stuff it's almost overwhelming sometimes. So the only things I've really bought in the last year are some cardstock in colors I was running low on and some SU sets that I wanted to use for scrapbooking, which I'm getting back into.

I never thought I would lose the desire to keep buying, but sometimes changes in life just make that happen.
That sword cuts both ways, I'm finding. Changes in which stage of life you are in largely determine what you do/don't need, so what you buy/don't buy changes with that. There are stages where you need more graduation/wedding/baby shower cards and times when you need more sympathy cards, for example. There are stages where most of your cards are geared toward children, and stages where there is more of a need for more mature cards.

You need some of everything most of the time, of course, but I'm finding it very true that a lot of the stamps I purchased when my children were younger get a lot less use now that they're all grown up. Yes, I still use some of them for the grandkids, but I don't need as many or as often (I don't have to send cards to birthday parties with the grands, but I did for the kids, etc.) As a result, I find that I'm buying a whole new range for the needs I have now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2016, 06:29 PM   #77  
Polyshrink Goddess

I wonder if part of the struggle is that we want the whole "collection". I know I do. Am I going to use all 12 colors ? Likely not. Am I not going to feel satisfied till I have them all ? Yup

And these companies have caught onto this. They release a "Christmas set". Or this years new pastel shades and the chase goes on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #78  
Mad Swapper

For a number of years I've been working on keeping only those supplies that really make me the stamper that I am.

There was a very long period of time where I tried to valiantly mimic my stamping mentor. I finally realized that I would never ever be her as she has been stamping since the 70s when only purple and red inks were available.

The biggest reason I got into stamping was that I like to color. Ever since I can remember that was something I truly enjoyed and still do to this day. And as far as stamps are concerned, I rarely buy a stamp unless it will fit in with some of the other stamps I already own. Those 'building blocks' are what I use to keep my stash simple.

My supplies include:
white cardstock
colored cardstock
DP
Washi Paper
Washi Tape
Plain 1/8" ribbon in a variety of basic colors
48 pads of Distress Ink
15 Distress Reinkers (only because I haven't gotten around to buying the remaining colors)
2" dry adhesive
1/4" dry adhesive
1 1/2" Xyron
Mod Podge
Wax paper
Freezer paper
Manila file folders (from what my husband purges every year - great for envelopes, cards and the like)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #79  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently bought a 2nd hand Silhouette Cameo. That has been a huge opener to me. I use that more than dies now, so really only use the big shot for embossing. And if I want a quick card it's easy to find a digital file and cut. So I have downsized a lot of my dies and stamps etc. BUT I keep what I love, and especially more intricate dies and punches I will keep, as the Silhouette struggles with intricate cuts on card.

One thing I MUST keep stocking up on is cardstock. That will always be be the base of anything to do with papercrafting, so will never pass up a sale for card. I have a heap, but can never have enough of that. I also have sooooo much DSP and can't resist buying more, even though I'll never use it all in a month of Sundays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #80  
Mad Swapper

Paper. I completely agree that without it there wouldn't be much of a point to stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes