Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-20-2020, 11:40 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coffee filters for heat embossing

Hi I was just wondering you know how coffee filters work great for heat embossing or glitter or anything messy? does it matter which ones you buy? i dont drink coffee and i have no idea which ones to buy exactly i bought a pack of 50 from SSS and since i am in Australia i would love to get some from Australia but i am struggling to work out the correct type size etc....to be similar to the ones from simon says stamp.

Also trying to save postage as well.

I have figured out that they are basket type maybe 10-12 cups i think this might be similar but in terms of using them for craft (i dont drink coffee) does it matter if they are white or what type of paper they are made from?

thanks so much for your help - i bought the pack from SSS a few years ago i reckon i might of used a quarter of them if that but ive lost the rest of them and ive got 1 with a hole in it and the other was used with chunky gold enamel and copper enamel and it cant really be used for anything else!

i dont usually mix up what embossing powders i use on them but because i cant find the rest of the packet its bit of a bummer!

thanks for your help! probably buy another packet and then find the original one!
If anyone knows where you can find them in australia that would be very useful ive sent my husband to the supermarket but he cannot seem to find them and the one he did find were very small 1-2 cups i think and so the size was all wrong he said he cant find the type that i need!

but if anyone knows whereto get them online or otherwise please let me know
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2020, 04:20 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

I use coffee filters all of the time in crafting. Here is the basic coffee filter size here in the US if this helps. https://www.amazon.com/Coffee-Filter.../dp/B07X7HQQH1

I assume the ones you purchased from SSS were the same thing. I spend very little money on mine.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Found this page on Amazon Au: Amazon.com.au : Paper coffee filters
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

they usually carry them in the isle at the grocery store that has the cans of ground coffee in the US.
I have my fingers crossed you can find them in a store like that because, it would have to be cheaper than shipping a pack. ( and seriously, its just catching your droppings so you can scoop it back in the jar so, it really doesn't matter if you get the cheapest ones on the shelf.)

do you guys have "Dollar" type bargain stores? ( they just may have them too)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2020, 12:37 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I find old telephone directories great for embossing! But I'll run out at some stage because we don't get them anymore. Because the paper is so thin, it's easy to pour the powder back into the container, and it doesn't seem to stick to the pages at all. I just tear a sheet out, use it and throw it away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2020, 05:48 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

As far as I know, there is nothing special about the filters, other than the fact that here in the USA, they are cheap and work well for catching glitter or embossing powders. They are simply a way to keep the powder from scattering all over your surface and to enable you to reuse the powder that didn't land on the project. Because they are flexible and thin, they are easily "folded" to hold the unused powder so it can be poured back into the container. A piece of paper, a paper towel, napkin, a cupcake wrapper, etc. will work just as well if you don't have access to the filters. Just use what works for you and then throw it away. I never keep the filters after using them because they are "disposable" items here. If you use a paper towel or napkin, more of your powder will stick to it than to something with a "slick" surface, like a piece of copy paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

The coffee filters you want are like those that lovinpaper suggested & yes, you will want to try to find them at the grocery or the dollar store! They're flat on the bottom & you do just want to throw them out when you're done. But, I should tell you, it takes me a LOOONG TIME before I toss them. I just keep them in my little tray with my embossing powders. The little tray is one you can get to catch these powders too. Even with that little tray, I line it with a coffee filter. TRYING to control where the EP goes! LOL (I also keep a small eye-shadow make-up brush with it for brushing away stray EP.) HOPE you can find some of these Coffee Filters! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2020, 02:37 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

For some reason I have trouble using coffee filters for EP. I just can't always get it back into the container without spilling!

So, I use an old large greeting card I received. It's sturdier and the EP seems to flow off of it easier. My aim is better with it, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookskarenView Post
As far as I know, there is nothing special about the filters, other than the fact that here in the USA, they are cheap and work well for catching glitter or embossing powders
. They are simply a way to keep the powder from scattering all over your surface and to enable you to reuse the powder that didn't land on the project. Because they are flexible and thin, they are easily "folded" to hold the unused powder so it can be poured back into the container. A piece of paper, a paper towel, napkin, a cupcake wrapper, etc. will work just as well if you don't have access to the filters. Just use what works for you and then throw it away. I never keep the filters after using them because they are "disposable" items here. If you use a paper towel or napkin, more of your powder will stick to it than to something with a "slick" surface, like a piece of copy paper.

My understanding is they are non static so doesnt stick so go essier into the jar

But looking online there are coffee filters made from different tupes of paper and i was concerned that maybe it made a difference if they were made out of a different type of paoer and it would stick

I finf them very useful

We cannot find in supermarket and ive never seen them in the "cheap" shop which is what we call the dollar store

It does seem different sizes and from what i can figure out needs ro be 10-12 cup i will have another look online!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

It seems there is a big movement away from drip coffee makers to the pod machines so I think that might be why you are having trouble finding filters. I used to get big packages at Costco but they stopped selling them. Luckily the grocery and dollar stores here still carry them. I like to use old magazine pages or glossy flyers for glitter, embossing power and other glue and paint messiness so I can just toss it. No cost there either. Also you can just put your glitter and embossing powder into plastic lidded containers with small plastic spoon and skip the paper.
Attached Thumbnails
coffee filters for heat embossing-img_0891.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive Mind
View Post

It seems there is a big movement away from drip coffee makers to the pod machines so I think that might be why you are having trouble finding filters. I used to get big packages at Costco but they stopped selling them. Luckily the grocery and dollar stores here still carry them. I like to use old magazine pages or glossy flyers for glitter, embossing power and other glue and paint messiness so I can just toss it. No cost there either. Also you can just put your glitter and embossing powder into plastic lidded containers with small plastic spoon and skip the paper.

ANNND, they even have SPECIAL SPOONS by Tim Holtz for this! LOL PROBABLY, others do as well! <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2020, 10:39 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I actually use a folded piece of scrap printer paper - things that got printed and are no longer necessary. I fold a sheet in half, use that under my Versamarked item, sprinkle the embossing powder, tap off the excess, and use the fold as a funnel to put the excess back into the jar. A light tap will usually defeat static cling.
<style></style>

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2020, 02:21 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I was also using copy paper to catch and send it back to the jar for years....then I got the mega filter package at costco and that may last my lifetime as I re-use them. LOL. Sorry to hear they don't carry them anymore. It was one of their really good bargains.

No I don't think the type of filter paper matters at all. In fact if you spray with static guard nothing should stick to it and you only do it once.

I am not a person who dumps a lot of glitter though. I never understood that. Just makes a mess. I see people who almost pour the whole jar! Why? I can always pour a bit more for coverage if I need to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I used to be a person who used copy paper before I learned the coffee filter trick and for me, I always always forgot to fold the copy paper first so, I had a hard time bending it and pouring with powder on it. so, I do OK with a coffee filter.

(and I am using the same filter for the last two years, one single filter)

if you do not find them in the stores, are any of your neighbors or family or friends coffee drinkers at home? ( I am sure it would not be a big deal if you asked for a couple of filters you may even make them smile)
( she's doing something crafty again ;) )

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
Ohhh see i dont drink coffee i have no ides!

I find the spoon/container thing a bit hard cos i have many colours of glitter in small bottles i only have container for clear glittee and ep but the rest stay in original containers i am a bit of a dumper i find it easier to put heaps qnd tip excess inyo the jar but im also bedridden so anything that keep it easy is good! I find the coffee filters easy to hold onto!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2020, 09:22 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

before i paid 95 dollars for 100 coffee filters to hold my emboss powder while i craaft I would use a piece of copy paper. I have filters for my coffee, most times in my craft room it is easier to grab a piece of copy paper, it works just as good. Now if you want the filter to stamp on for journal purposes..95 dollars is still a bit of a stretch for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

You mentioned the little spoon; well, me being such a frugal person, I asked at my local ice cream store if they would "sell" me a few spoons that are used to sample the different flavors. I told her I needed them for crafting and she gladly gave me a handful!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2020, 01:50 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cilla16View Post
before i paid 95 dollars for 100 coffee filters to hold my emboss powder while i craaft I would use a piece of copy paper. I have filters for my coffee, most times in my craft room it is easier to grab a piece of copy paper, it works just as good. Now if you want the filter to stamp on for journal purposes..95 dollars is still a bit of a stretch for me.
Wow 95 dollars??

I had a look on ebay i found 500 filters for 23 dollars (AU) so if youre in rhe US it might be 13 or 14 US for 500
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2020, 02:52 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95
View Post

You mentioned the little spoon; well, me being such a frugal person, I asked at my local ice cream store if they would "sell" me a few spoons that are used to sample the different flavors. I told her I needed them for crafting and she gladly gave me a handful!!

That's SUCH A GREAT IDEA!!! I remember back when, I needed some plastic gloves for a VBS craft, not a ton needed either. But, I went to Meijers & asked the lady behind the Deli Counter & told her what I would be using them for & she gladly gave me a box. I still have the left overs! LOL

As for the spoons, I haven't gotten any myself. I just like the little spoons, even though I wouldn't use them for this. Crazy, I know. I like to put my glitters in spice jars & sprinkle them on that way over the coffee filter! (The spice jars have little plastic tops with holes, & then a metal cap for closing! <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

You can also find the little spoons in the party sections of some stores - I bought some adorable green ones a few years back. So far I haven't used them for anything (along with about five thousand other things in my stash, lol), but they sure are cute! We're moving again this week and I'm hoping/planning to USE all of my rediscovered goodies once we're settled in...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just use a folded scrap piece of paper. All I can say is just be careful to not sneeze when embossing - that happened to me once and the powder went EVERYWHERE!

stamper at ❤

Stamps and dies for sale here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's a thought: How about the large size muffin cups???? ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2020, 06:42 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I also buy the cheap ones from the dollar store. The white paper ones but I’m sure recycled paper ones would work too. Not only are the non-static but also non-linting so they work great with eye glass cleaner or alcohol for your phone screen too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2020, 07:24 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Hi! I’m also from Australia and I purchased mine from ebay a few years ago, but have just checked and there is some for sale. The ones I saw are $7.12 for 50, which seems to be the smallest quantity you can buy, and they have free postage. Hope this helps! �
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2020, 08:01 PM   #25  
kab
Stazon Splitcoast

One coffee pot we had had cone shaped filters which is NOT what you want for this purpose. You definitely need a filter with a flat bottom.

I had never thought of the muffin liners before. My thought is that they might be a bit too small for what I usually emboss. I want the item catching the embossing powder to be bigger than what I am putting the embossing powder on. I need something that will catch EP from a 1/4 sheet of card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2020, 10:04 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I use square plastic food containers, labeled with the color, each has a little spoon to pour the powder over the cardstock. I used to use a tray or paper, this works way better for me. They are stacked on a shelf with the labels facing out. (I also label the lids) The spoons come from McDonalds when they used to sell a yogurt parfait, perfect size and re use of waste. No shortage of coffee filters here that I've noticed, maybe it's Covid related like the TP frenzy?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynkimView Post
I use square plastic food containers, labeled with the color, each has a little spoon to pour the powder over the cardstock. I used to use a tray or paper, this works way better for me. They are stacked on a shelf with the labels facing out. (I also label the lids) The spoons come from McDonalds when they used to sell a yogurt parfait, perfect size and re use of waste. No shortage of coffee filters here that I've noticed, maybe it's Covid related like the TP frenzy?
I think it's probably just that, like here, those "basket" type filters are not the norm. Here I have only seen those in wholesale suppliers for restaurants. The smaller cone shaped ones are all that are in retail stores, and maybe that's the same for Erin. When I finally realised the difference, I had to get mine through Amazon. I had been wondering how on earth people were using them for the tie-dye technique.
Our teabags are much smaller tea, I realised, after seeing the teabag stamping tutorial.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 07:31 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLady
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95

That's SUCH A GREAT IDEA!!! I remember back when, I needed some plastic gloves for a VBS craft, not a ton needed either. But, I went to Meijers & asked the lady behind the Deli Counter & told her what I would be using them for & she gladly gave me a box. I still have the left overs! LOL

As for the spoons, I haven't gotten any myself. I just like the little spoons, even though I wouldn't use them for this. Crazy, I know. I like to put my glitters in spice jars & sprinkle them on that way over the coffee filter! (The spice jars have little plastic tops with holes, & then a metal cap for closing! <3

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 03:11 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Default Whoops!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22
View Post

I find old telephone directories great for embossing! But I'll run out at some stage because we don't get them anymore. Because the paper is so thin, it's easy to pour the powder back into the container, and it doesn't seem to stick to the pages at all. I just tear a sheet out, use it and throw it away.

Now I wish desperately that I had not thrown six away a month ago. I had not thought of that use, although I do have one put away for collage. Now if only I could find THAT box !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2020, 04:22 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Emck, If you PM (private message) me on Facebook Messenger, with your mail address, I will gladly send you some. I have sent small items via snail mail, overseas. It took approx. 16 days to receive the parcel.

Stay well and healthy
Reply With Quote Likes