Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2021, 10:28 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Card Stock Suggestions

Hello Everyone!
I am in need of some help. I want to start making and selling greeting cards. I have tried so many different types of card stock but nothing seems to work. I need thicker card stock but I do not know which ones will work.
Will someone please help me?
Thanks!
Have A Great Day!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2021, 11:42 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 263 Likes on 109 Posts

Gina K's cardstock comes in both layering weight and heavy weight, in a wide range of colors with inks to match. I've enjoyed using her cardstock on cards for some time. https://ginakdesigns.com/product-cat...v=7516fd43adaa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Received 263 Likes on 109 Posts

Gina K's cardstock comes in both layering weight and heavy weight, in a wide range of colors with inks to match. I've enjoyed using her cardstock on cards for some time. https://ginakdesigns.com/product-cat...v=7516fd43adaa

Last edited by Alice in Md; 05-18-2021 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: Please delete duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #4  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

While I absolutely LOVE Gina K's 120# heavyweight, if I'm covering the whole front of a card with other paper or cardstock, I will use slightly less quality cs. Note, I am not saying flimsy or chintzy- I buy a lot from PaperPapers, especially clearance and on sale. I have quite a variety of 134#, 166#, 111#, and even some 268# (No, you don't want to make card bases with that!). I'd advise you to get on their email list, and wait for the big sales where they offer 50-60% off clearance, and then stock up. (They used to go as high as 75% off, but that seems to have ended with Covid.) They have gorgeous metallic cs, and I've gotten some very interesting specialty cs from them as well.

I made this with a real wood cs I got from them:
Fall Birthday by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers

also this one:
There's Something Fishy About Ian by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers

the embossed piece on this is a felt textured cs I got from PaperPapers, then embossed and colored:
What A Pear! by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers

Got the red, white & blue subtly glittered cs there also:
Citizenship card by contrapat at Splitcoaststampers

I can't believe I don't have anything in my gallery using the Cosmo- which is a textured pearl finished cs I bought from them.

Anyway, it's worth going to their site and browsing. Also VERY much worth signing up for the emails. I've dealt with them for several years now, and I'm pleased to recommend them.

For me, a 134# cs is a great base. It feels good and looks professional. I really am disappointed when I get a card and it's made of some flimsy stuff.

ps. it's also a great place to stock up on envelopes.

Last edited by contrapat; 05-18-2021 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
koani (02-17-2022)
Old 05-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I like that site. I can see myself surfing in there tonight!

Many people here swear by Neenah solar white classic crest 110 pound for bases and 80 pound for layers. You can get it in 125 pc packs for 26.50 right now on Amazon. But a lot of places sell it.
Reply With Quote Likes
from the heart (05-25-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:06 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I like to use 110 cardstock. Anything heavier and extra postage may be needed if more embellishments are used on the front. If I use a lighter cardbase (gift cardstock from family/friends) I dress it up on the front, and add a second piece of cardstock inside for the sentiment area.

Thank you Contrapat for the heads up on Paperpapers. I just signed up for their emails so I can look out for sales.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 08:26 AM   #7  
Watercolor Wizard

Default extra postage

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
I like to use 110 cardstock. Anything heavier and extra postage may be needed if more embellishments are used on the front. If I use a lighter cardbase (gift cardstock from family/friends) I dress it up on the front, and add a second piece of cardstock inside for the sentiment area.

Thank you Contrapat for the heads up on Paperpapers. I just signed up for their emails so I can look out for sales.
You're welcome for the nod to PaperPapers. One thing to also point out on the postage issue is you can buy "extra ounce" stamps at the post office that save you on extra weight postage costs. Doesn't cover the "your card is too fat to get through the 1/4 inch slot" issue though, LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I also use the Neenah Bright White cs for cards. I was also informed that paper works great for stamping and coloring with alcohol inks and I can attest to that! I'm sorry I don't remember where I made my purchase (probably online) but I bought the 65lb 250 sheet ream. I'm very pleased with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 09:22 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For card bases I like to use 100 pound or more cardstock. For die cuts anything 80 pound or more cardstock is good. Many manufacturers online sell these types. My favorite is My Favorite Things, Hero Arts, Simon Says Stamp, and Gina K. Designs. There are many more out there, Concord & 9th, and Lawn Fawn. There is also cardstock companies, I just do not know the names off my top of my head.

Good Luck

Live everyday like it was your last
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 653 Likes on 438 Posts

I use Neenah 80lb for stamping. I had recently bought Cougar 110 lb on someone's recommendation for Copics but I find I am using it mostly for card bases as it is too thick to go through my printer. Now that I have used the 110lb paper for a base, I love it. I know Jennifer McGuire recommends Neenah 110lb. I agree with ContraPat, I don't think the brand is important if you are just covering it anyways so I would go for cost-effective especially to keep your overhead down if you want to sell them. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craft PrincessView Post
Hello Everyone!
I am in need of some help. I want to start making and selling greeting cards. I have tried so many different types of card stock but nothing seems to work. I need thicker card stock but I do not know which ones will work.
Will someone please help me?
Thanks!
Have A Great Day!
" I like Stampin Up card stock and Designer Series Paper. It's color coordinated, has ink, markers, and paper that match."

Reply With Quote Likes
jeannemlehrman (06-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I buy Accent Opaque white on Amazon, it comes it lots of different weights and is super bright white (I think whiter than Neenah). I use the 80lb., 100lb., and 120lb. versions and it's a good price. I also use Strathmore Bristol Smooth for ink blending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 11:30 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingpurplecatView Post
I buy Accent Opaque white on Amazon, it comes it lots of different weights and is super bright white (I think whiter than Neenah). I use the 80lb., 100lb., and 120lb. versions and it's a good price. I also use Strathmore Bristol Smooth for ink blending.
I'm on board with this as well. The 120lb. is very heavy for card bases but it rarely cracks so it's good if you have a heavily loaded card with embellishments, etc. The 100 feels like a 110lb to me so I use that the most. I have put it side by side with Neenah and I believe it is brighter white. I get it from Amazon - great price. I believe Jennifer McGuire uses the 120lb. for die cutting a lot.

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
stampwithjoanne (07-18-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I just recently heard about the Accent Opaque white, and I think I'll try that next time I need a ream. It's quite a few dollars cheaper than Neenah Solar White.

That being said, when I first got started (a few months ago - I'm still a newbie) - I was really disappointed in my results every time I tried a technique. I had been using a pack of Parklane white cardstock from Michaels. When I switched to the Neenah Solar White, it was like night and day! The surface is smoother, the cardstock is whiter, and techniques just work on it way better. So my recommendation is to be sure and not be too terribly stingy on the cardstock - it does make a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 03:46 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I now only use Neenah solar white and Accent Opaque, found on Amazon. I really can't tell the difference and the Accent is MUCH cheaper! Stay away from Michaels's paper for card bases...WAY too flimsy. Bazzil is very nice in many colors, too, if you find the heavier weight...I usually buy at Joann's on sale....only!
Reply With Quote Likes
canada goose (02-22-2022)
Old 05-25-2021, 05:11 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

OK, all you bargain hunters. PaperPapers just sent out the early bird email for 60% off clearance. Use promo code early60p

I have placed my order. Free ship over $39, and there are lots of various weights of cs available. Remember to READ. TEXT weight means paper, COVER weight means cardstock. Remember to look closely at the size of the sheets- there are several diverse sizes available. Personally, I'm going to play with the glossy cs they're offering. I have yet to find one that prints well in our printers. But at 60% off the clearance price, what the heck! Have fun shopping!

Forgot to mention: tons of envelopes available in clearance also.

Reply With Quote Likes
baweinstein (07-22-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
I now only use Neenah solar white and Accent Opaque, found on Amazon. I really can't tell the difference and the Accent is MUCH cheaper! Stay away from Michaels's paper for card bases...WAY too flimsy. Bazzil is very nice in many colors, too, if you find the heavier weight...I usually buy at Joann's on sale....only!
Let's clarify- Michael's carries Recollections 110# cardstock also, which is just fine for bases. I would not use the 65# for bases either, but the 110# is perfectly usable.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by anowlinView Post
I just recently heard about the Accent Opaque white, and I think I'll try that next time I need a ream. It's quite a few dollars cheaper than Neenah Solar White.

That being said, when I first got started (a few months ago - I'm still a newbie) - I was really disappointed in my results every time I tried a technique. I had been using a pack of Parklane white cardstock from Michaels. When I switched to the Neenah Solar White, it was like night and day! The surface is smoother, the cardstock is whiter, and techniques just work on it way better. So my recommendation is to be sure and not be too terribly stingy on the cardstock - it does make a difference.
Just a note- as far as I can see, Parklane is sold by JoAnn's and not Michael's.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 06:36 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just looked on paper paper. Do they have a very dark black? Not greyed out. And what is their smooth cardstock? Looking for a new supplier. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

I found on Amazon a brand called “Astrobright” the Exlipse black is real dark deep black I loved! I bought a 65lbs but I am not sure they have another weight.
Quote:

Originally Posted by vestamcView Post
Just looked on paper paper. Do they have a very dark black? Not greyed out. And what is their smooth cardstock? Looking for a new supplier. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 07:00 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

No one has mentioned Stampin' Up cardstock, and it's the one I love for making colored card bases. Great quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2021, 07:08 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi!
I think that every cardstock has its place! For card bases 110lbs is the best. I do use the accent opaque and it is great. I still use cardstocks from Michael’s and joann’s (65lbs) for layering. The only thing that I watch specially from parklane brand is that they are not white in the middle. This is my preference, people do different things abs that’s ok.
I have a realm of Neenah Solar white that I bought for alcohol coloring and I also use to stamp sentiments.
Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mittens20View Post
No one has mentioned Stampin' Up cardstock, and it's the one I love for making colored card bases. Great quality.
post #11 mentioned SU.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2021, 12:37 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Wow, Contrapat - thanks for the heads up on the sale at PaperPapers. 60% off clearance prices is great! I just placed an order. I've been wanting to try the glossy finish for shimmer powders, so it was a good chance to pick some up at bargain prices.

(Also, you're right - I think the Parklane paper was from Joann's, not Michaels.)

I do use other weights for layering, as well, as it keeps the cards from being too bulky. But I like 110 lb for bases and die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #25  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Wow, Contrapat - thanks for the heads up on the sale at PaperPapers. 60% off clearance prices is great! I just placed an order. I've been wanting to try the glossy finish for shimmer powders, so it was a good chance to pick some up at bargain prices.

(Also, you're right - I think the Parklane paper was from Joann's, not Michaels.)

I do use other weights for layering, as well, as it keeps the cards from being too bulky. But I like 110 lb for bases and die cuts.
Always happy to enable my fellow addicts!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2021, 09:07 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Great Cardstock!

Quote:

When I went to Kelly Paper (locally) I bought the Neenah solar white every raves about, BUT the sales guy who was VERY knowledgeable, gave me a lot samples of Accent Opaque 110 and told me I'd never know the difference between that and Neenah! And he's right... Now others have found out about it and Amazon sells it at a great price too!
Reply With Quote Likes
cookie1031 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 07:22 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Great Cardstock!

Quote:

When I went to Kelly Paper (locally) I bought the Neenah solar white every raves about, BUT the sales guy who was VERY knowledgeable, gave me a lot samples of Accent Opaque 110 and told me I'd never know the difference between that and Neenah! And he's right... Now others have found out about it and Amazon sells it at a great price too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2021, 09:30 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

When I go to Amazon the only 8.5 x11 Accent Opaque Cardstock I see is 80 lbs or 120 lb. Can someone give me link for the #110?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Default 100#

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyduoView Post
When I go to Amazon the only 8.5 x11 Accent Opaque Cardstock I see is 80 lbs or 120 lb. Can someone give me link for the #110?
https://www.amazon.com/Accent-Opaque...s%2C196&sr=8-2

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

The Amazon ad says on that link that it is 100 lb. paper and not listed as 110. Does that make a difference?
Reply With Quote Likes
GramT (07-17-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 04:14 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I like Accent Opaque 80lb for stamping colored ink on, like more solid images. It also works like a dream in my printer. I still prefer Neenah for images that I’ll stamp with Memento black and color with Copic Markers. I have the Accent 100 lb, you just have to be careful scoring and folding, I find it cracks a little
.For colored cardstock, Papertrey Ink has gorgeous cardstock at a great price. No splotchy oatmeal-ey look to it, as I’ve been seeing with some of the Stampin Up colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazylizardView Post
The Amazon ad says on that link that it is 100 lb. paper and not listed as 110. Does that make a difference?
Apparently Accent Opaque does not come in 110#. I checked the manufacturer, and this is what I found:Accent® Opaque Cover is a premium uncoated sheet, ideal for invitations, greeting cards, catalogs, business cards, brochures, direct mail, tent cards, menus, posters, financial reports, marketing materials and more!
  • 4 basis weights (65, 80, 100 and 120 lb. Cover)
  • 3 finishes (Smooth, Super Smooth and Vellum)
  • Available in 2 white colors (an enhanced white with 97 brightness and Warm White)
  • Coordinates with Accent Opaque Text
  • Available in 30% post-consumer fiber
  • Acid-free for added archival quality that extends the life of the document
  • Electronic Imaging Guaranteed for Digital Cover items
  • Guaranteed to run on equipment that accepts cover weight papers
  • Stock sheets are Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified
Obviously, the difference in 100# and 110# is the 100# is slightly lighter weight cardstock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #33  
Compulsive Stamper

I use Stampin' Up for my colored cs. It folds well and comes in a variety of beautiful colors. I sell my cards and teach card making classes and use lighter weight cs from Michael's or Staples to line the inside. I have also just discovered the 110# Accent Opaque cs from Amazon and used it in my butterfly card class. I will definitely continue to purchase it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2021, 08:12 AM   #34  
Compulsive Stamper

Oops! I just checked mine and it is 120#. Very tough to score and fold but great cs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2021, 05:53 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Just bought a pack of the White Dove 110 lb. cardstock from Michaels. It is not a true white like the pack I bought before which just says white on it. Not sure if it will make all that much difference as a card base. It just looks creamier when I compare it to the white, I have at home. 

Shirl

Reply With Quote Likes
GramT (07-17-2021)
Old 07-16-2021, 07:05 PM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post

Thank you!  Just bought a pack.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2021, 02:26 PM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craft PrincessView Post
Hello Everyone! I am in need of some help. I want to start making and selling greeting cards. I have tried so many different types of card stock but nothing seems to work. I need thicker card stock but I do not know which ones will work. Will someone please help me? Thanks! Have A Great Day!

Michaels Recollections heavy weight card stock (110lb-300 gsm) is great for card bases.  It comes in a variety of colors, and is cost effective if you are selling cards.  They run around $15, and even cheaper when you use a coupon.  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post

I ordered a reek on Friday and it arrived today (I didn’t pay extra for shipping and I don’t have Amazon Prime).  Amazed!!  This is top quality card stock and no other brand beats this price!  Thank you for the suggestion!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2022, 05:23 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I've been printing a lot of digital kits and ephemera. Currently I'm using 110# Neenah and Walmart's Pen & Gear INDEX cardstock with good results.
I also use the INDEX cardstock as a mat for building my card fronts which I will adhere to 110# heavy weight cardstock card base.
I buy Hobby Lobby's extra heavyweight cardstock, Joann's ParkLane 110# cardstock and Michael's Recollections 110# cardstock for card bases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2022, 10:39 AM   #40  
Inking Addict

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I am making my daughter's wedding invites and they want red. So where do you buy 110# in colors? I was looking for a whole ream....
Reply With Quote Likes