Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2006, 11:04 PM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I know it has been mentioned but I was to reiterate one point, KEEP YOUR PADS REINKED....every time I see the edges are higher than the middle all I need to do is reink and the pad levels out almost instantly. I have had my SU! ink pads since I started stamping three years ago and as long as I keep them good and moist the unevenness is not an issue.
And if you do notice any stray strands be sure to snipe them with a sharp snip scissor...it is important to keeping your pad moist. The stray threads can act like a wick and suck your pad dry and make a mess if it were to touch anything.
Happy stamping!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2006, 11:09 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: imprisoned temporarily in my own house! arrrgh!!&^%$#@
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
The stray threads can act like a wick and suck your pad dry and make a mess if it were to touch anything.
Happy stamping!

Been there done that...too many times :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2006, 11:27 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrikitty
Been there done that...too many times :rolleyes:
Yeah could you tell I have learned from experience? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 02:03 AM   #44  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you re-attach a pad that has come loose from the plastic container? I bought all the In Style colors, but didn't open them for some time. When I did get around to using them, I found that the Cranberry Crisp pad was completely loose inside the container. Glue won't hold on a wet pad....what can I do?[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 02:09 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

Now see I love them and I also have never had them fray. I am a "tapper" and not a "rubber" of my stamps across them. I have been places where people rubbed their stamps across their ink pads and I cringe over it. I think if you rub you are going to get the fraying. If you tap, there will be no fraying - I have had the same ink pads since 2002 and they are still going strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 02:09 AM   #46  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
How do you re-attach a pad that has come loose from the plastic container? I bought all the In Style colors, but didn't open them for some time. When I did get around to using them, I found that the Cranberry Crisp pad was completely loose inside the container. Glue won't hold on a wet pad....what can I do?[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif[/IMG]
I would have your demo contact SU! that is an obvious manufacturing malfunction and they should replace the pad...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 02:13 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

I got a chance to read some other posts and I am wondering why people are rubbing on their background stamps.

I was always taught (and taught as a demo) to put the background stamp down on the table, rubber up, and then take my ink pad and tap over it to get it all inked up.

Maybe try that and you won't get as much wear out of the ink pads. SU ones are my favorite. I have a bunch from everywhere and I always go back to them as my favorite ones to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 02:36 AM   #48  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Heart
I had the same thing happen and someone here suggested rubber cement. Worked like a dream on an SU! pad and an Ancient Page pad. Still stickin' without a problem. Oh, I wore rubber gloves during the repair--it coulda been messy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 02:36 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Happy Heart, try some Crystal Effects on the bottom of the pad. Mine was kinda loose, also - worked like a charm!
Lori Prince , SCS #26330 - Nothing surprises me, I can only be amazed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, so much for finding like-minded folk! LOL
My experience is that other inkpads are superior in terms of a more even surface and therefore an easier time getting even coverage. The whole "don't stamp in the middle all the time, reink your pad thing" doesn't change the concave (at least in my stampin experience) and I think the threads coming off the pads happen because of its shape. I tend to use my SU! spots rather than the larger pads just because they're flat, but boy, do they ever unravel threads! I'm more a tapper and but have been known to be a rubber (and yeah -- who ever got a giggle out of that one, it does make you think about all us innocent stampin folk doesn't it?!?! )
Anyway -- I don't think this (pad design) is a new concern, I've heard it raised here at SCS periodically over the past few years with what seems like plenty of frustrated folk, but judging by this thread, I'll be the lone hold out boycotting those darn pads while the rest of you are merrily stamping away thinking "what is she talking about?!" So much for hoping SU! would take note!
And if in a year or so I forget I did this post and try something like it again, will y'all remind me, been there done that?!
Thanks!
Still hating those pads, and feeling lonely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:28 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Poppin' in to add.....

I love every one of my fraying.... concave.... flip top S/U pads! :-D

I have some OLD (and I mean OLD) CTMH pads that are still going strong, and match 11 of the Bold Bright S/U colors. I just don't like how they open, and I have to keep them stored upsidedown. No plans to replace them with the S/U ones just yet. However, I do have all but 9 of the other S/U pads.... and working on getting all of them. :mrgreen:

I agree about the Color Box chalk inks.... they dry quick.... so do the StazOn pads (I keep them upsidedown too).

I *heart* My Computer
Because a lot of my best friends live in it!!
Thanks SCS.... for providing a place to cultivate priceless friendships!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:57 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

For those of you that hate the SU! pads, what company are you comparing them to? I have only used SU!, CTMH, and a few other insignificant companies and I have to say, I will NOT complain about SU! pads.
But I do think it is about respect of the pad, taking care of it and knowing its limits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:01 AM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

I haven't read this whole thread, so I hope I'm not repeating what someone else wrote. My ink pad has a dip in the middle and it is not because I stamp too hard. It was that way from the time I purchased it. I have never had this problem with any other company's pads. Obviously the problem can't be that hard to correct or other brands would have the same problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:09 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

if your ink pad has been that way since you bought it; then you have a defective pad and you should have called the company when you noticed the problem. I do know a while back(2 years or 1 year maybe) they did get a bad batch. Another thing to remember is the surface area of SU! pads surpasses anything else on the market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am offering a challenge; name your company that you think has superior ink pads to SU!, let us try them and compare for ourselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:20 AM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Happily, I don't find SU pads to be a problem. I love them. I started buying them when I found I was buying pads in stores and reinkers weren't available. They are the way they are. I can't think of a time when I've had a problem because of a dip in any pad. I ink any of the larger sized stamps face up just like my background stamps, even with my Palette pads, Chalk inks, and Versamark. That just works best for me. Nothing works for everyone. Purge your unhappiness by telling SU directly. SU will graciously listen to your complaints. They may not change the pads but they are happy to hear feedback, good and bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:28 AM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Not a demo. Love the ink pads. I use sponges to edge my cards and I think this helps to keep my pads from fraying. I only have one spot that the top layer of fabric came off. I think I'll replace it with some cheesecloth or some other woven fabric. I have used other inks but I love the SU product. Sorry you've had such a bad experience with yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:35 AM   #58  
Glitter Guru

Love the pads here, have many different kinds and love the SU ones the best. I do have some pads that have caved in the middle,but from reading I am going to reink them and see if that helps. When I stamp with a smaller stamp I stamp all around the pad, on the edges and such, makes a HUGE difference. For background stamps I tend to move the ink pad all around the stamp, with the stamp face up. I have brayered on my ink before and love how this works, but most of the time I am satisfied with just tapping the pad on the stamp. I have many other kinds of ink pads (have and had), have thrown away more cheap ones then I can tell you about (ones from Walmart, Michael's, etc.). I love my new pallette noir black, but will not be replacing my SU with pallettes, just getting a few of them here and there. BTW, I have all the SU pads, current and retired, all but 1 in the new style
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:50 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think it's SU vs. Everybody else's ink pads. It's just a matter of preference. I'm pretty smart and don't think that ink pad opening is rocket science, I just don't use my SU pads enough to remember how to open them. I am also a tapper, not a rubber....I don't have but 1 BG stamp. I think all the cards using SU ink are beautiful as are the ones that don't. I use a giant black ink pad made by Archival Ink...it's oversized and any stamp I have fits on it even if I had a background stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 04:56 AM   #60  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
Hmmm....I find it is not so much of an issue of the middle sinking as it is the sides rising up. I don't care though. I rub all my stamps that's the only way I can get good coverage. Rub, rub, tap, tap. I don't care what SU tells me to do, I do what I want. They are not the boss of me. LOL! I sound like my 4 yo! Sometimes they fray, I just trim them. Doesn't bother me. I still think they are great stamp pads and it's just never been an issue for me.

All this being said, Jeaniebean, you have every right to dislike them and every right to not purchase. That is your right as a consumer.
Your so funny, Kath!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 05:02 AM   #61  
Crimping Master

I love mu SU pads. When I started stamping, I bought pads from Michaels and LSS. SOme of them had the foam core. I hated those because they did not give me a crisp stamped image. The ink would get into areas that they weren't supposed to and on the edges so I would have yucky stamped images.

After reading al these posts, I am curious what are stampers favorite ink pads, other that SU and why? If anyone can comment about the other ink pads, please do.

Heres a list of other company's ink pads
CTMH
TAC
MARVY UCHIDA
CLEARSNAP / COLOR BOX INK PRODUCTS & JAQUARD
RANGER INDUSTRIES INK PRODUCTS
STEWART SUPERIOR INK PRODUCTS
TSUKINEKO INK PRODUCTS
Whispers Stamp Ink Pad Collection
Creative Beginnings InkXpressions

I wish I could find the article from Rubber Stamper Magazine that charts the different ink pads available. I will look for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 05:04 AM   #62  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by handstampedhappiness
Hmmm....I find it is not so much of an issue of the middle sinking as it is the sides rising up. I don't care though. I rub all my stamps that's the only way I can get good coverage. Rub, rub, tap, tap. I don't care what SU tells me to do, I do what I want. They are not the boss of me. LOL! I sound like my 4 yo! Sometimes they fray, I just trim them. Doesn't bother me. I still think they are great stamp pads and it's just never been an issue for me.

All this being said, Jeaniebean, you have every right to dislike them and every right to not purchase. That is your right as a consumer.
I totally agree! I beat the hell outta my pads! They are all well loved. The lids are full of reinker, the cases are covered in inky fingerprints and smears, and the ends are frayed! I LOVE my pads!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 05:15 AM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by speale
I totally agree! I beat the hell outta my pads! They are all well loved. The lids are full of reinker, the cases are covered in inky fingerprints and smears, and the ends are frayed! I LOVE my pads!
hmmm sounds an awful lot like my ink pads...lol.....they are well used and loved as well

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 05:21 AM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Wish I had room to have all the full sized pads in my current place....mebbe when I move.

Then I wonder if I can hire someone to come and open and close them for me! ;)

Jeaniebean, you're ok to not like them...I didn't care for them at first honestly...and you're ok to voice your opinion about them. I'm with you....I use the spots and just adore the suckers!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 05:37 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

i am sorry you are having some problems with the pads... I love them I loved them as a client and as a demo...

They do fray if you rub them like sandpaper on your stamp... they do not if you tap (or bang in my case) them on to the stamp.. for backgrounds I lay the stamp upside down on a table and bang the ink onto the stamp. Then I also use a brayer to get really good ink coverage on to the paper....

I have had inkpads for about 3 years now and very few of them are grossly concave, but then I dont sweat the really small stuff... i do stamp them all over the pad so this may be way I dont have issues with that....

Opening them is easy (once you learn the trick) when you are holding the pad...flat in your hand top side up... on the north/south - horizontal - smaller width area... just press the color away from you with your thumb and this unlocks it.. push - flip and then push back in to lock open.. do the same to close...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 AM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55
Well, so much for finding like-minded folk! LOL
My experience is that other inkpads are superior in terms of a more even surface and therefore an easier time getting even coverage. The whole "don't stamp in the middle all the time, reink your pad thing" doesn't change the concave (at least in my stampin experience) and I think the threads coming off the pads happen because of its shape. I tend to use my SU! spots rather than the larger pads just because they're flat, but boy, do they ever unravel threads! I'm more a tapper and but have been known to be a rubber (and yeah -- who ever got a giggle out of that one, it does make you think about all us innocent stampin folk doesn't it?!?! )
Anyway -- I don't think this (pad design) is a new concern, I've heard it raised here at SCS periodically over the past few years with what seems like plenty of frustrated folk, but judging by this thread, I'll be the lone hold out boycotting those darn pads while the rest of you are merrily stamping away thinking "what is she talking about?!" So much for hoping SU! would take note!
And if in a year or so I forget I did this post and try something like it again, will y'all remind me, been there done that?!
Thanks!
Are you having issues with all of your SU pads or just a few colors?

You've been given some good advice here on trying to correct the issue. It's your choice to boycott whatever you like of course. Maybe next time you have a problem with your SU products you could contact your demo or perhaps throw the thread out here by saying something like "Anyone else having this problem....?" As you can see, there's more than enough free resources here willing to help.

Just a suggestion.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 06:39 AM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

There is another thread where almost everyone on that thread has had problems with the SU pads. I don't feel like I should have to walk on egg shells while stamping so I use only the old pads, which have lasted for years.

It has been reported to the company over and over. My demo wrote them a long letter about it several years ago and they also told her they have never heard of it. She recently wrote another letter and got the same identical response back, just dated with a current date. We all had a chuckle over that one. As far as I know SU has no plans to deal with this. I have never had this issue with any other brand of pad and I have been stamping 15 years and have over 200 pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 07:00 AM   #68  
Hardware Hotshot

Add to the list of pads to try:

TAC now carries Palette Hybrid Ink pads and they are wonderful and so easy to hold!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 07:27 AM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm, I have a palette pad and find it very difficult to open. Once it is open, however, it is great!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 07:57 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, let's just thank heaven that the stamping world is NOT in any danger of a shortage of ink pads, lol! When I look at the collection of different types and brands of ink pads I've collected over the years....I absolutely CRINGE. My husband got a look at the collection once when I had everything stored together and he totally freaked.

If somebody doesn't care for one brand, no sweat! As long as they can find one type that does work for them, life is good, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:09 AM   #71  
Mad Swapper

Still have the first SU! ink pad that I bought 3 years ago. Most of mine are 3 years old, and there are still going strong. I've only reinked a few of the lighter colors and snipped a few loose threads. I'm a very pleased customer and demo. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #72  
Mad Swapper

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by speale
Ditto - LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #73  
Gabfest Goddess

Just my two cents - while I love the color combo's and paper from SU, I have to say that I am disappointed with their ink pads. I have a full set of the spots and not only do they fray, but they also leak. I'm a tapper and a rubber and I will not purchase the full size pads because of this. That being said, I just love all the colors, so I deal with it. I will send an e-mail to SU voicing my concerns.

I think Ancient Page, Adirondak and Kaleidacolor are all superior to SU in terms of the stamp pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 08:53 AM   #74  
Gallery Gazer

speaking of ink pads, has anyone had the problem of the edges changing color? My Real Red pad has changed colors along the edges, kinda like a pinkish brown. It's weird. I use this pad alot, but I do keep it inked. Not sure what the heck has happened to it. Other than that, love my SU pads. Yes they are concaved and frayed, but they are well, well used and the colors are fantastic.

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:01 AM   #75  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55
I think it sucks that your experience with the SU pads has been so frustrating! I have read some of the other threads where frustrated stampers have problems with the pads and tried all the fixes heaped on them by happy demos with no luck. So, because of that, I've been part of your boycott for the past couple of years or so now.

I have been extremely pleased with Ranger Distress Inks and Colorbox pigment inks, if that is of any help to you, and if it isn't I won't try and make you justify why they don't work for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:11 AM   #76  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm another extremely pleased SU pad junkie! Never had an issue (I use a brayer and make sure to utilize the whole surface of the pad) and I love them and all the 54 totally amazing colors!

Far superior to any other pads on the market.... I'm surprised there's even a question. But to each his own! That's what keeps all these other companies in business!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #77  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
You know...I like the inkpads for the most part....

Except the time I snapped my finger in one and had to get stitches....
I remember that. :( Ouch!

Quote:

But mine do bow in the middle a bit....that's annoying.
Mine, do, too!

I resolved the issue by inserting several pieces of card board, under the lid as I open it, and before sliding it into the locked open position.

This provides all the support that the concaving center needs and resolves the issue nicely.

While I know some would find that annoying, or consider the ink pad poor quality I just figured it was a trade-off for the larger pad surface, and I love the coordinating color system of inks, papers, markers, etc. so much that I was willing to do that; the felt pad and the ink itself are of high quality--it's just the plastic casing that is the issue with the concaving.

Every brand of felt pads I own have frayed a little over time, with use, and usually end up needing occasional trimming, so that's not an unusual issue to have to contend with in felt pads.

To each his own! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:45 AM   #78  
Die Cut Diva

I have all 48 pads plus 4 of the In Color pads and I love them. Some of them do fray slightly but I just clip off the thread and they're as good as new. As for the concaving centers, I haven't really had any problems. I do tend to ink the stamp around the edges of the pad rather than always in the center.

I absolutely love the coordinating colors and wouldn't give up the SU pads for anything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #79  
Glitter Guru

The only thing I have to add is that EVERY felt ink pad from every manufacturer I own (and it's a considerable amount!) fray from time to time . . . it's just the nature of the woven top. A defect? I don't think so -- it just reflects the use of the pad. Keem 'em trimmed and no problems.

As for concave pads, happens with other brands too if they're not well inked. I just keep all of mined inked, use the entire surface for tapping and don't really ever notice "issues" with 'em.

But, as has been said . . . to each his own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2006, 10:10 AM   #80  
Stampin' Fool

I love the craft pads. I only own 2 of the classic pads and both of them have frayed. As far as rubbing is concerned, I have other ink pads that I have rubbed stamps with and rubbed the edges of paper with and they have not frayed. So really SU CAN fix that if they chose to. I will say again, I love the craft pads, and the colors are really nice, and I love, love, love the markers.
Reply With Quote Likes