Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-19-2022, 07:17 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Die Cutting machine

My magnetic platform is shot. Given the cost of a replacement, I’m considering a new machine. I’m not interested in a mini. What are your recommendations?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2022, 02:49 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I still like the Big Shor/Big kick by Sizzix. Not motorized, but that will be my next replacement. There's a recent thread in General Talk about merits of die cutters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2022, 05:09 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I have a Crossover II and I love it. The rollers are adjustable (up and down) so there's never any need for shims. The plates are thicker and do not warp.

Here's a review I did on my blog when I got the machine. It is a work horse!
Dina Kowal Creative: Product Review: Crossover II Fabric & Paper Cutting System
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by dini:
fl_beachbum (05-01-2022), Lady Bugum (05-17-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 08:42 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Dini- I love that CrossOver. I love the way it folds up but looks like a real workhorse.

brunistamps- I use a Spellbinder's Platinum 6. She's a workhorse too. I still use steel rule dies and of course our wafer thin dies. The machine takes both kind of dies with ease. I also use some of the old school "wafer thin" dies that were backed with foam like the old school Cuttlebug, Quickutz. etc... My machine has no problems with it.

Side note- I forgot the official name of the sponge/foam wafer thin dies. Sorry everyone. Peri brain. It's like foam release or something like that.

I also have a Sizzix Vintaj. I love that machine so much. Sizzix handles IMO are not ergonomically correct. I have sprained my hand several times using it. It is a quirky complaint. I do think it's an important one to add. I never really talked about it before because I never seen anybody mention it before, least over here. Then I started seeing people on Instagram and YT mentioning this. I know it's an issue, small issue but important enough to mention.

I have no problems with the Spellbinders or any other die cut machine I have used or tried. It's only on the Sizzix BigShot/Big Kick machines.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2022, 07:26 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a Gemini Jr which I bought at the launch. I go thru a lot of plates due to warping. Yes, I do flip and rotate all the time, and I even tried Jennifer McGuires trick of taping the plates. Very frustrating. My machine has just started making a loud screeching noise, like the rollers are going bad. But, I LOVE that machine. I will probably need to replace it this year, and although I prefer an electronic machine, due to the warping plates I'm thinking of looking at hand cranked machines that have the solid base plates. Looks like those plates would last longer, not to mention my tight budget. (social security isn't keeping up with cost of living increases since the pandemic and sky rocketing price hikes) I'm looking into the Spellbinders Platinum 6 or the Sizzix Foldaway, or even Stampin' Ups Cut & Emboss. Am I right in thinking the base plates are what keeps the other plates from warping like on the Gemini Jr? Thanks...
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2022, 08:12 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Mac, all of the plates in my household machines warp. I use a Big Shot Plus most of the time. I also have Spellbinders machines, both the Platinum 6 and the little Sapphire. My daughter has the Platinum. All of the plates warp. I use my Big Shot daily and replace those plates the most. I even bought the mat from Scrapbook dot com which is supposed to help. It helps some, but not to the extent I thought it would. I look for good sales and purchase a needed plate then. I can’t compare to the electronic machines as I do not own one.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2022, 12:48 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

thank you for your reply Lisa.. it will give me more to think about. I was going by videos on you tube: it looked like the machines with the heavy base plate (all hand cranked) didn't warp... so I'm glad to know that they can. It'll help me decide what to do when my Gemini Jr needs replaced.

Thanks again... happy crafting !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lovinpaper (05-22-2022)
Old 05-23-2022, 03:14 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

The only plates that warp on my machines are the Gemini plates. My Big Shot/Big Kick plates have never warped, and I've had them for many years. I've also discovered that 3 Big Shot plates will work in the Gemini if you feed them in horizontally (long side in). The only time I use the big Gemini plates is when I have a larger die. So far, so good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2022, 03:38 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
The only plates that warp on my machines are the Gemini plates. My Big Shot/Big Kick plates have never warped, and I've had them for many years. I've also discovered that 3 Big Shot plates will work in the Gemini if you feed them in horizontally (long side in). The only time I use the big Gemini plates is when I have a larger die. So far, so good.
What is your trick for not replacing your plates? Mine do not last years. They regularly get marked up, which leaves marks on my paper which are not pretty. They regularly warp even while flipping them and I basically use simple dies. Please share your tricks so we can all benefit.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2022, 07:00 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I primarily use my Tonic Tangerine that I've had for several years now. When I was using it on a near-daily basis, my 1st set of plates lasted for a year! I'm not joking. I don't know what kind of plastic the plates are made from, mine feel a bit soft to the touch, but I rotate them after each use and they last and last. It's a wide format machine and heavy (about 15lbs) but it's a workhorse, don't slide on my countertop and I love it even if its a bit pricey and hard to find sometimes. The inside parts are all metal and the handle turns easily. I rarely have to do a second pass with intricate dies. https://www.tonic-studios.com/products/tangerine-machine-with-plates-138e

I do have SU's Cut and Emboss machine and I like it because it's lightweight, but the plates warp quickly and I've learned to stock up on them for the eventual day they discontinue it (like they seem to do everything else after a couple years) I do think that 'weather' has something to do with their plates warping because I've noticed in the winter, they seem more 'brittle' to me. But maybe it's just me--who knows?

If you can afford it, the Tangerine gets my vote.
Reply With Quote Likes
Springpatchlady (05-23-2022)
Old 05-25-2022, 04:02 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

The plates warp due to pressure. Reduce the pressure a bit and they won’t warp as badly. You’ll have to play with it a bit to find out what provides enough pressure to cut but not so much it warps the plates. (And each machine is different.) With my Gemini jr, I use the recommended combo minus the thin metal shim for most cuts and it has made all the difference. I only use the shim when cutting detailed backgrounds… all else cuts well without it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2022, 03:12 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
What is your trick for not replacing your plates? Mine do not last years. They regularly get marked up, which leaves marks on my paper which are not pretty. They regularly warp even while flipping them and I basically use simple dies. Please share your tricks so we can all benefit.
I replace my plates when they have been so cut into that the tape I use to secure the dies doesn't stick anymore, but that isn't often. I keep a cut-into one on the bottom, and I always use my dies face-down. I know that some die manufacturers say to use them face-up, but I've been doing it this way for many years, and I've never damaged a die or a machine. And I've never broken a plate. Since I use a clean plate on top, my cardstock doesn't get marked up.

Another tip is to rotate the sides of the plates, and use all areas of the plates when placing your dies. That keeps them from bowing in the middle.

I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
DianeinSparks (05-26-2022), fl_beachbum (05-26-2022), lovinpaper (05-26-2022), pepperann (06-30-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 04:47 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you, scrapjanny, for the explanation. I think I usually place my dies in the middle, so maybe this is why my plates warp. Now if my die is large and covers a lot of territory, I have to pull out the very large plates that fit the Big Shot Plus and those I still seem to place in the middle. Yes, maybe I can move my dies around a bit more. Thanks!
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2022, 05:18 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
Thank you, scrapjanny, for the explanation. I think I usually place my dies in the middle, so maybe this is why my plates warp. Now if my die is large and covers a lot of territory, I have to pull out the very large plates that fit the Big Shot Plus and those I still seem to place in the middle. Yes, maybe I can move my dies around a bit more. Thanks!
Happy to help.
Reply With Quote Likes
lovinpaper (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 11:56 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

For the Gemini, Jr., I use plates designed to cut double-sided dies, even though I don't own any double-sided dies. I use two of these sandwiched between two clear Gemini olates. I'm careful to cut in different places. These plates (they're light green) and the clear ones have not warped at all.

Dina, I loved your review!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by uncbballfan:
fl_beachbum (05-28-2022), pepperann (06-30-2022), Rebali (10-08-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 08:33 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Cuttlebug and a Gemini Jr. The Gemini shims (magnet, plastic, and metal) are a joke. I tried taping them (per Jennifer McGuire) - ultimately failed. However, I do love my Gemini and use it regularly. My Cuttlebug sits on a shelf, but at the ready if needed.

I have tried a few methods to flatten plates - dishwasher (pull out before the dry setting) and using a sink, baking sheet, and a pot. I think Jennifer McGuire showed this method. The sink method worked the best for me.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2022, 04:55 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Anna Griffin Empress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2022, 06:41 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by STINKYView Post
I have a Cuttlebug and a Gemini Jr. The Gemini shims (magnet, plastic, and metal) are a joke. I tried taping them (per Jennifer McGuire) - ultimately failed. However, I do love my Gemini and use it regularly. My Cuttlebug sits on a shelf, but at the ready if needed.

I have tried a few methods to flatten plates - dishwasher (pull out before the dry setting) and using a sink, baking sheet, and a pot. I think Jennifer McGuire showed this method. The sink method worked the best for me.

Good Luck!
I’d do jumping jacks to get my Cuttlebug back. Best cost-effective workhorse (incidentally, it literally broke after trying to send a Stampin Up 3-D embossing folder through—-not recommended).
Reply With Quote Likes
cnsteele (06-24-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 11:33 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I adored my Cuttlebug! I had the old green one, and then a few years ago found an Anna Griffin version on clearance for about $14 at Joann’s (I should have bought any they had left)
I just invested in the Tim Holtz Big Shot Foldaway. I love it but I’m scared at how tight the fat 3-D folders feel, so I use the old Cuttlebug for that. I had found some knockoff plates that fit.

I replace my plates every once in a while. I am die cutting CONSTANTLY, and the plates tell me when they’ve had it. When the cut marks start showing on the paper, it’s time for new plates. I keep flipping them so I don’t find the warping a big issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2022, 11:42 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Received 66 Likes on 24 Posts

I adored my Cuttlebug! I had the old green one, and then a few years ago found an Anna Griffin version on clearance for about $14 at Joann’s (I should have bought any they had left)
I just invested in the Tim Holtz Big Shot Foldaway. I love it but I’m scared at how tight the fat 3-D folders feel, so I use the old Cuttlebug for that. I had found some knockoff plates that fit.

I replace my plates every once in a while. I am die cutting CONSTANTLY, and the plates tell me when they’ve had it. When the cut marks start showing on the paper, it’s time for new plates. I keep flipping them so I don’t find the warping a big issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2022, 02:47 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my Spellbinders Grand Caliber, however the crank shaft is starting to disingage. I have a Gemini but I'm looking for a manual that takes up no space. I want a machine with no footprint, portable, and can do large dies. I don't think there is one out there that I have seen. I'm going to keep reading this thread to see if I may have missed one.

I just wish I could find another GC, even without the plates. :

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2022, 06:58 PM   #22  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I spoke too soon. :( My GC seized up in the middle of cutting. I had to take the entire machine apart just to get my die back. I didn't realize how many parts were broken inside so there was no way I could ever use it again. I've had that thing for over 20 years. I'm very sad to see it go.

Now I am on the hunt for a manual machine. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes