Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATG gun

I bought the pink ATG gun and I was wondering if the tape is supposed to seem like it's gonna come off the edge of the wheel? It hasn't ever actually come off the wheel, but I find myself constantly trying to push it back to the middle. After a few uses, it's right back to being right on the edge. Am I doing something wrong?

I want to buy everything!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm having the same problem with mine. With my red gun the tape came right to the edge but never hung over like it does with the pink one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolanninnwmoView Post
I'm having the same problem with mine. With my red gun the tape came right to the edge but never hung over like it does with the pink one.
I have the original red gun and also the new pink one. When that happens with either of them, it's usually the tape inside not being seated completely down on the spool. It kind of rides up and causes the tape to move to the edge of the application roller. Most often it's the first one with sticky, not the rewind spool.

Try pushing the tape down firmly on the spool and see if that helps. I have occasionally had a roll of tape that just seemed "wonky" and wouldn't stay down on the spool, too.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

mine does that if I use the tape depot tape in it.
If I use tape depot tape gun and their tape, it is fine.

The Scotch tape that I got with the pink gun ride to the left, but not on the very edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think this happens when you try to use inexpensive tape in the ATG gun....at least that has been my experience
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:55 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Your tape should actually be right on the edge, and not in the middle of the red (orangy) rubber applicator spool. This is normal, and in most cases will not come off.. unless like Bugga mentioned, the spool is warped or not seated right.

The 3M/Scotch brand adhesive is known for not being wound tightly and can cause the spool to "cone" which might cause it to slip off --- But if it's a good spool and seated properly, it should be right at the very edge. I am assuming you're using 1/4" tape. I have no experience with the ATG's being used with 1/2" tape.

FWIW, I have used The Tape Depot tape in mine and have never had a problem with it. I prefer it over the 3M because all the 3M tape I've had wasn't wound tightly enough and coned, causing the tape to slip off. Besides, The Tape Depot tape is cheaper and less globby. Again.. just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

It is supposed to be right on the edge so you can see where you're rolling. I've used my 714 for almost 10 years with nothing but genuine 3M tape and have never had a problem. I've heard complaints from others but between crafting and the time I worked in a custom frame shop, NEVER ever have had a problem. If it's not loaded properly, then yeah, you're bound to have issues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
Your tape should actually be right on the edge, and not in the middle of the red (orangy) rubber applicator spool. This is normal, and in most cases will not come off.. unless like Bugga mentioned, the spool is warped or not seated right.

The 3M/Scotch brand adhesive is known for not being wound tightly and can cause the spool to "cone" which might cause it to slip off --- But if it's a good spool and seated properly, it should be right at the very edge. I am assuming you're using 1/4" tape. I have no experience with the ATG's being used with 1/2" tape.

FWIW, I have used The Tape Depot tape in mine and have never had a problem with it. I prefer it over the 3M because all the 3M tape I've had wasn't wound tightly enough and coned, causing the tape to slip off. Besides, The Tape Depot tape is cheaper and less globby. Again.. just my opinion.

Yes, this is what is happening with mine. I've tried to push the spool so that it is flatter, but it justs ends up in a cone again. I'm using the tape that came with the pink ATG.

I want to buy everything!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 04:53 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Yeah, I just threw the tape I got with my pink ATG away. I could tell just by looking at it, that it would be a problem. It was wound so loosely, I could see right through the gaps to the other side. The tension that you need with these guns will cause a loosely wound spool of tape to cone like that, causing it to slip off.

The Tape Depot tape is VERY tightly wound, and I also store it flat, so I don't get those problems. I think there's another company that sells ATG tape for it too.. but I don't remember the thread I read it in. Maybe it's something like Findtape.com? I've heard their ATG tape is very good too.

I wonder how many people get discouraged with their ATG's because of the bad quality tape they come with. I bet it's quite a few, especially since the pink ones are out and people are buying them up like crazy.

Don't be discouraged, just buy different tape, and your ATG will work like it's supposed to. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 04:56 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Yes, it's "findtape.com" (without the quotation marks). Looks like they sell the same 7502 Reverse Wound as The Tape Depot.. but it looks to be even cheaper!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawz94View Post
I bought the pink ATG gun and I was wondering if the tape is supposed to seem like it's gonna come off the edge of the wheel? It hasn't ever actually come off the wheel, but I find myself constantly trying to push it back to the middle. After a few uses, it's right back to being right on the edge. Am I doing something wrong?
I noticed this on the pink ATG gun I just bought as well. I assumed it was designed like this to accomodate broader tape. I haven't had any problems with the tape actually slipping off the roller, but I've only had mine for about a week or so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
... known for not being wound tightly ...
I know some people like this too... :lol::lol::lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Pink ATG gun

I am left-handed and found it difficult to use the gun with my left hand. It was too difficult to see where the tape was going without doing a yoga exercise with my neck. I use it with my right hand because of the way the tape is so far to the one side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also left handed & having the same problem. I also had problems with the tape actually coming off. I opened the thing up & had to rewind part of it & made sure it was pushed down properly. Now it's not slipping anymore, but it sure is globby adhesive. I've just started using it the past week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you guys are left handed, you might like the generic ATG better. The tape actually lays on the other side of the roller so you will be able to see it better. I compared both guns way back. You can see the blog post right here for the comparison. That might illustrate my point a little better.

Being right handed, I like the ATG better for tape placement, but I hate how it feels in my hand. I just like the trigger mechanism and general weight distribution of the generic gun better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Default my 3 little monkeys

Thank you for your helpful information. I could trade with someone in my stamping class.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're welcome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2010, 03:09 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I know a lot of people lov Tape Depot tape, but I prefer the #m red tape. Why? The paper backing on the TD tape kept breaking mid roll and the TD tape doesn't allow me to move an object once it's down. If something I put down isn't straight, I'd like a little time before its permanently glued down. For me I'd rather pay a little more and have a product I like for my purposes than save a few cents and be frustrated.

I am not fond of the gold 3m tape as it's stringy and little harder to work with.
Reply With Quote Likes