Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you have a Genesis Trimmer?

and if so, do you love it? I'm in the market for a new one, and have been seeing your posts re: trimmers you love. For those of you who may not have heard of Genesis, it has been featured numerous times in Creating keepsakes mag as an awesome trimmer. But they're handmade in the US by a small company and the wait is forever (can be a few years) to get one. Then the company was sold, and production stalled for many months. I just emailed Bonnie today (owner) and she says that their production is up and running and they're turning out product much more quickly now (vs. before). I got on the list 11/06 and they're just now filling orders from 11/05:rolleyes: :confused: She says they're working more quickly now so it wont be a year before my turn comes. BUT I've heard from those who have.. the wait is worth it. I use my trimmer all the time even when I'm not scrapping/making cards - for lots of different projects and am so tired of my junky basic Fiskars. But from many of your posts touting various trimmers, wondering if I can't get a quality trimmer, sooner and cheaper than waiting? OTH.. I've waited this long (i'm terrible!).. Would just love to hear if anyone has... Here's a link to the website and what the trimmer comes with etc:

http://www.genesistrimmer.com/index.html

thx
Leigh
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 03:21 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had one for many years and it's a wonderful, really solid trimmer. The only problem was that my husband kept borrowing it for his trimming needs and I got tired of him taking it all the time and not putting it back. So I got him one of his own. Now we have upstairs and downstairs trimmers! We both have the 12" trimmer, without the light (that would be nice, though).

Cyndiestamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #3  
Inking Addict

How long did you wait for it? And was it worth it? thanks

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 03:27 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also am on the "wait" list for the Genesis trimmer. I have been waiting for years. *sigh* I have heard wonderful things about it. So what size did you order?? I *think* I ordered the 16" with the light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I've had one for many years and I LOVE it. I think I got mine back in '04, after waiting about 8 months. I ordered the light with mine and it's a great addition. It's so easy to see where the cut will be with the light.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazedView Post
How long did you wait for it? And was it worth it? thanks

Leigh
We bought the first one in a local photography store--they were selling it as a photo trimmer. But when we went back years later to get another, they didn't carry them any more, or even remember that they did at one time! So we ordered it through Bonnie. That was several years ago, and to be honest I don't remember how long we waited--I think it was probably less than a year, but it was quite a few months. Yes, it was worth it!

Cyndiestamps

Last edited by cyndiestamps; 12-29-2008 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

Oh the sad thing is that I can't even remember for sure.:rolleyes: I *think* I ordered the 12" with the edgelight. I was just thrilled Bonnie could verify the date I put the order in cause I've lost a few hard drives since then and couldnt find the email. She did make it sound like (my take anyway).. they've taken the time to get production set up such that they now can produce more product, more quickly without sacrificing quality. Again, my take from her letter.

Sooo I was just looking at the site again.. maybe i did order the 16".. I'll have to ask Bonnie. I vaguely recall ordering what they said was "most popular" as they made it sound like they produced these a bit faster...when did you place your order?

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 04:03 PM   #8  
Inking Addict

I ordered the Tonic trimmer while waiting and like it a lot. It is very sturdy. A lot of other people have ordered high end trimmers after being frustrated with the wait and poor communication. I am still waiting and will decide when I am contacted whether I will actually get it or not. For one, instead of honoring the orginal price at the time of the order, it is significantly more expensive now, like 35% more. This is due to some "improvements" and the price of metal going up. When they started shipping out, several people were claiming that they were going to pass due to the siginificant increase, but who knows. If I REALLY want something, money is no object.

I have been waiting for people who have received the improved trimmers to post their opinions as well as state when they ordered versus when they received it. I think when they started shipping in November they were filling orders from July 05. So if they are already on November 05, maybe it will go quick. Bonnie can't tell us when we will be coming up on the list. She also went through this whole process explaining why it took so long to get up and running. She had to find new vendors. Maybe the original vendors who dealt with Genesis went out of business. She upgraded some equipment too. Of course, someone who owns one of these trimmers wouldn't be buying another so we won't really know if the new trimmers are as good as the old ones.

I am sure it is worth it if you can wait, but who knows.

If anyone out there has one of the new trimmers, let us know what you think!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I wouldn't wait years for any trimmer, no matter how fabulous it was. I'll stick with my trusty Fiskars, which has always been good to me. I've been scrapbooking for over 7 years, and the Fiskars purple trimmer is the best one I've ever used. I know I'm probably the only one on this forum who speaks so highly of it, but I've never had a single problem with any of my purple Fiskars trimmers, and I have 3 of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 04:35 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

My impression is that when they upgraded, facilities/equipment wise etc.. they were taking kind of small mom/pop operation (for lack of better verbage) and moving into a position where they could still do the same quality work yet a bit more quickly. I dont think (again an assumption here ) they will ever mass produce - just not their style. But ugh.. I assumed also there would be a price increase but yikes - it was already a fortune. I just emailed Bonnie again to ask what the price would be and to check on what I'd originally ordered (now thinking I did actually order the 16") . This was part of Bonnie's email to me:

Your order date was November 26, 2006. We'll contact you via e-mail when your order is at the top of the queue. Don't worry -- that doesn't mean your trimmer wait will be another year! We're producing a large number of trimmers now and we're working as quickly as we can to take care of our waiting list customers!

We are thrilled with the quality of these trimmers, and our customers have been incredibly enthusiastic. I'll look forward to giving you good news about your order!

We'll see.. Will be interesting to see how much more this will be.. *super sigh*

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've been waiting several years, too. I believe I ordered mine in May of 2006. Glad to hear production is up and running.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

I did not order a Genesis due to the wait. Instead I purchased the 12" Tonic, but right before Christmas, after reading about it here in a thread at SCS, I purchased the "X-Acto 12 Inch Laser-Guided Paper Trimmer" at Office Max and I'm really loving it!!! I called the store and they had three left, but when I went a few days later they only had one left and I went ahead and bought it. Looks like maybe they can be bought online........here is a link (if anyone if
interested):

http://www.officemax.com/omax/catalo...uestid=2313861

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I ordered my Genesis Trimmer on 9-20-05. On 12-12-08 my name had come to the top of the list; even with the increased price I ordered it...and to date am STILL WAITING to receive my 12" trimmer! I've e-mailed Bonnie and left 2 phone messages, but have heard nothing. It's very frustrating, especially when I read here on SCS that she's now shipping orders from November 2005. One can only hope the quality is exactly the same as the older version, as this has been a VERY frustrating experience! :mad: :mad:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

UGH... Bonnie has always been great at returning emails and quickly. Perhaps try that method of communication vs. phone messages (if you havent already). I know the 16" model is their most popular (perhaps where more staff power goes?? just a thought).... I hope you hear soon. Pls keep us posted. I've heard over and over from folks that they never regretted their purchase/wait... thx for sharing
Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I know the long wait is so hard to comprehend...of course in the end, it's worth it. I've had my Genesis almost 8 years! I would be lost without it. Still has its original blade and still cuts just as smoothly and effortlessly as it did when brand new. The 16 inch, which I have, is really the best size - I did not get the edgelight, and have never really wished I'd had it. If I scrap at night, I just drag my Ott lite over to see exactly where I'm cutting. I think the greatest thing about this trimmer is that you can be so precise - you can cut off the very thinnest sliver -

No other trimmer can compare!

Molly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

How much do these trimmer cost? I looked on the site and they don't show any pricing except for replacement parts
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Hi Barbara
the trimmer is very pricey! I thought it was a small fortune when I placed my order several years ago but it's now about 100$ more. I've ordered the 16" with edgelight and was quoted recently $390. Hopefully it wont be more than that by the time my name comes up!

Leigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

I think when I ordered mine in September of 2006 it was around $300 for the 16" and now it is almost $400 according to some people who have already gotten theirs. That is a pretty hefty increase. But then that includes the edgelight which I can't even remember how much it was at the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 12:02 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I've ordered the 16" with edgelight and was quoted recently $390.
:shock: Well, this trimmer won't make the cut even to my wish list
I could never justify or afford this much money for a trimmer.
I am using a ruler and an Xacto knife on a self healing mat. The mat has all the increments marked across all four sides and is made of a material that prevents the paper from slipping while I cut.
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2009, 05:48 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I can't remember (9-10 years ago?)when I purchased my Genesis but at the time there was only a three month waiting period.

I purchased the 16" with the edgelight and it is one of my favorite tools. It cuts precisely every time! I love it! It is worth every penny! (It was quite a bit less then it purchase price today!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #21  
1CC
Inking Addict

Default It's My Turn Now!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I got my e-mail from Bonnie a little bit ago - my Genesis is at that point where I need to make payment! I ordered it in 2/06. I just clicked the button that sent my payment. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am so happy while at the same time, feeling so decadent with the economy as it is. I'm buying a paper cutter while others are trying to take care of their family. I can't believe it is finally my turn! I just had to share! :-D

XO
Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Enjoy.. cant wait until they are taking orders again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

I went to the site and still no order button...I hope they start selling them soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 04:26 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Received 76 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1CCView Post
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - I got my e-mail from Bonnie a little bit ago - my Genesis is at that point where I need to make payment! I ordered it in 2/06. I just clicked the button that sent my payment. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am so happy while at the same time, feeling so decadent with the economy as it is. I'm buying a paper cutter while others are trying to take care of their family. I can't believe it is finally my turn! I just had to share! :-D

XO
Chris
I'm glad to know that they are shipping 2006; I'm August 2006. Please let us know how you like it and how long it took from today to receive it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I ordered 9-20-05 and still haven't received mine...what size did you order? Mine's a 12"x12"; my name came to the top of the list on 12-12-08 and I sent in my credit card info, but then in late January when I called about it Bonnie told me that there was a defective part and it'd be another 6 weeks. STILL WAITING! Very frustrated, too, I might add - I'm just hoping the quality's as good as the original trimmer -
Reply With Quote Likes