Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking airplane travel and ink???

DOes anyone know if you can take SU ink on the plane.....I would love to get some cards done on the plane, but would cry and lay an egg if they tried to take away my ink at security......somebody please advise!
Thanks in advance,
Vilmarie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

You might try contacting the airport you're flying out of each way. The ink PAD isn't a liquid, but if you took your re-inkers you may have an issue. And while I don't fly, I have 2 brothers in the military & they (and their wives) are constantly on the go. Either for training, family leaves & visits...or deployment. And sometimes they are okay to do something at one airport, but at the next airport, it isn't okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 11:29 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by vilmaldonadoView Post
DOes anyone know if you can take SU ink on the plane.....I would love to get some cards done on the plane, but would cry and lay an egg if they tried to take away my ink at security......somebody please advise!
Thanks in advance,
Vilmarie

"Cry and lay an egg". LOL! You are too funny. Sorry I don't have an answer, just wanted to let you know that your post made me smile today
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 12:08 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

You're brave to attempt stamping on a plane. Those lil tables are sooo small! Once you get your drink and pretzels on there, the table is full. I don't see how you could do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

While I don't know the answer (though I don't see why not), I had to laugh at your "cry and lay an egg" comment! But I agree with Jen that stamping on an airplane would be difficult to do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 01:06 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

The last couple of times I flew I brought my markers & Water color crayons to color with and just had a bunch of images stamped before hand. I found this worked quite well and I didn't have any security issues.

I think you'd be okay with your stamp pads so long as they fit into the 1L bag containing liquids you are allowed.

Scissors on the other hand are a definate no-no, (paper cutters too probably) so make sure you have everything precut before you fly.

Where's My Cow?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I've taken ink pads on planes many times (even under the new restrictions) and they go on just fine! The security people have no idea that there's liquid in there, it just looks like a plastic flat thing to them!!! The reinkers are also under the quantity limit so stick them in a plastic bag if you must and TAKE EM!

The above poster was correct about the scissors, I'm afraid those would be confiscated but last year I took a bunch of my punches on! The security lady scanned my bag and asked me what was in there that was "big and black and scary"! Then when I answered "punches" and got another quizzical look, I had to add an explaination, but they went through and I got alot done!

My advice, take something you can mass produce, like images that you can just color or pieces that you can punch. There really isn't room for a big production but you can get some main images prepped or layers punched.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 01:46 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You actually CAN take scissors on with you now as long as the blades are shorter than 4".

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#4

Box cutters, axes, ice picks, knives, meat cleavers, swords, and sabers must be checked with your luggage. (And scissors with blades over 4".) ;)

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post

Box cutters, axes, ice picks, knives, meat cleavers, swords, and sabers must be checked with your luggage. (And scissors with blades over 4".) ;)

Kimberly
Bwaaaa!!!! Now those really are big and black and scary!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ink pads should be fine--along with your 4" scissors too.

You should had seen the looks I got when I was returning from CHA and had a Bind It All Zutter in my Carry-on..they asked if it was a "Breast Pump"!!! OUCH!!

It is like you are speaking a foreign language to someone who doesn't craft about the Crafting tools!

Can you believe that you can take a SCREWDRIVER on board, but NOT your half-full tube of toothpaste (the kind that is over 3.4 oz--even if it is HALF empty!)
:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 04:17 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I took 2 ink pads in my carry-on with no problem. They did have to take out the 3-flower paper punch to see what it was on one leg of the trip.
I wasn't stamping on the plane, just going without luggage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 06:43 PM   #12  
Glitter Queen

I carry only pens and watercolor crayons in the carry on and leave my pads for my checked luggage. I always carry all stamps in my carry on in case my luggage were to get lost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by renaissancegeerView Post
The last couple of times I flew I brought my markers & Water color crayons to color with and just had a bunch of images stamped before hand. I found this worked quite well and I didn't have any security issues.

I think you'd be okay with your stamp pads so long as they fit into the 1L bag containing liquids you are allowed.

Scissors on the other hand are a definate no-no, (paper cutters too probably) so make sure you have everything precut before you fly.
I just went on a trip and at both airports there are posters showing what you can and cannot take. I have taken ink pads on board with me before because I was going to a shoebox swap. Scissors less than 4" in length are also acceptable. I didn't really know that until this past weekend when I traveled. I guess I never paid much attention and I always mailed my snippets ahead because I didn't want them taken away from me. Anyway, they are acceptable according to the poster right at the start of the security area. You are also allowed any liquids or creams up to 3 oz as long as everything fits into a quart size baggie. Hope this helped you a little.

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMNView Post
You actually CAN take scissors on with you now as long as the blades are shorter than 4".

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...d-items.shtm#4

Kimberly
actually my granmothers tiny, like 1"likng blade scissors taht she ALWAYS keeps in her purse got confascated at security here in alberta and she was only flying to calgary!! but i think that dependds on teh security officer and teh airports standards

mAke EacH dAy yOuR MaStERpiEce
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 01:27 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Default Thank you girls!

I knew I could count on you girls! I will take my inks, but think I will leave my scissors in my luggage for when I get there.
As for stamping on a plane.....I have it done it previously (before the new no liquids security). DH holds my drink and snack on his tray and I have pre-cut all the cards. So, really all I need to do is stamp them and assemble I get lots done and only need to plan ahead a little. Thanks so much for the great responses!
Vil:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2007, 06:02 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I teach and usually fly to my destinations. Just an FYI, they don't like rolls of foil, I take the time to pre-cut it. When it goes through the security devise it looks like pipe bomb! That got their attention!

Kim
Reply With Quote Likes