Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question “Electronic cutting machine” which one?

I’m considering a new “electronic cutting machine” but not sure which one. I had the first, a Wishblade, decades ago then moved to a Cricut and I currently have a Silhoutte Cameo. But I now have a Mac and the design studio doesn’t seem as easy. Of course it could just be my lack of working with it in the past 5 years. 🤨

Which do you recommend? Price is not a consideration but ease of use is.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Cameo also. I also have a Mac. I find the software definitely has a learning curve. Also my Cameo is supposed to be able to blue tooth to my laptop - but it never does. And I get too frustrated to try to get it to work -- I'm always in a hurry to get my cutting done. Not perfect for sure. I'll be interested to see if others chime in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2020, 05:02 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've had several Cricuts and Silhouette machines. My most current machines are a Cricut Explore Air and Silhouette Portrait 2. While I really like my Portrait, I have always found the Cricut machines easier to understand and operate. I find the Silhouette software to be harder to master. The Cricut software is much more user friendly, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2020, 08:37 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Cricut Joy

I have a Scan-n-Cut which is great for large scale images. However I seldom use it for card making die cuts.
I took advantage of HSN 5 easy pays and $20 off coupon during their recent craft day event to purchase the Cricut Joy big bundle package.
I'm looking forward to working with the machine and the design space for smaller projects and it will decrease my need to purchase more metal craft dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2020, 04:34 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

What is it you’re looking to do most? I upgraded from a Silhouette Portrait to a Brother Scan n Cut to cut out stamped images. But I find I’m still buying a lot of dies because a) they’re just easier and b) the machine has to have a defined line and won’t cut any holes within the image—just the outline—unless you scan and then design a cut file. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had an early Cricut model, a Silhouette Cameo, and now the Cameo 4.  One the main reasons that I switched from Circuit to Silhouette is because the Silhouette Design Studio isn't web-based so I can access it anytime and anywhere. There are a several good side-by-side comparisons of electronic cutter features out there.  Maybe that would help you narrow down your choice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 07:36 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post
What is it you’re looking to do most? I upgraded from a Silhouette Portrait to a Brother Scan n Cut to cut out stamped images. But I find I’m still buying a lot of dies because a) they’re just easier and b) the machine has to have a defined line and won’t cut any holes within the image—just the outline—unless you scan and then design a cut file. 
I'm looking to mostly cut paper and occasionally vinyl. I want to avoid buying dies because they take up so much room plus if I only use it once or twice it is such a waste. If I buy an image for $1 and use it once or twice I'm ok with that. Plus I could copy an image to cut out and not have to buy anything. Plus I'd like to cut cards & envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 07:39 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I've had several Cricuts and Silhouette machines. My most current machines are a Cricut Explore Air and Silhouette Portrait 2. While I really like my Portrait, I have always found the Cricut machines easier to understand and operate. I find the Silhouette software to be harder to master. The Cricut software is much more user friendly, IMHO.
I'm struggling with the Silhouette Design Studio software, it just isn't user friendly. Once upon a time when I used it consistently I was ok with it but now that I haven't touched it in awhile I find I don't remember how to do it all and it is not easy to just "figure out". 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2020, 01:49 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post

I'm struggling with the Silhouette Design Studio software, it just isn't user friendly. Once upon a time when I used it consistently I was ok with it but now that I haven't touched it in awhile I find I don't remember how to do it all and it is not easy to just "figure out". 
I  use SCAL, Silhouette Design studio and Cricut Design Space. I think SCAL and Silhouette are better for designing and altering files. I've only used scan n cut for stamped images.
Design Space is more cut and go, making it easier to learn. 

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default It wasn't meant to be

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I have a Scan-n-Cut which is great for large scale images. However I seldom use it for card making die cuts.
I took advantage of HSN 5 easy pays and $20 off coupon during their recent craft day event to purchase the Cricut Joy big bundle package.
I'm looking forward to working with the machine and the design space for smaller projects and it will decrease my need to purchase more metal craft dies.

I ordered this machine early August from HSN. As of yet, I haven't received due to slow shipping, etc. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 08:14 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a Silhouette Portrait. I could never get the pix scan to work properly. I gave it away and bought a Scan 'n Cut and am extremely pleased with it. I use a Mac and have no trouble with compatibility. I use it for cutting out stamped images, but also for other projects, including 3-D boxes. I have saved a ton of money by not buying dies. If the image doesn't have an unbroken line around it, you just connect the lines with pencil, cut, then erase the pencil lines. You can cut inside a design by using the scan to cut feature. Scan 'n Cut all the way for me!
SCS Fan Club Member
Color Challenge Team Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 08:49 AM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I too  have the scan n cut, it's my first electric die cutting machine. I use it on windows 10 and I swear by it Ü Now I don't have to buy coordinating dies for my stamps. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 09:37 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

ScanNCut is the only machine I've ever had but it's so versatile. Love it and I use it every day. It's so easy. I use Windows so I can't speak to the software for a Mac. Also cut vinyl with no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I have both the Scan n' Cut and the the Silhouette Curio.  I've mothballed my Cameo 3.Silhouette is a tough learning curve and the floppy mat isn't kind to paper crafters. The Curio has a great fixed base but it's limited to 8x6.(There's a longer base available but it wasn't easy to use.   When it's good it is absolutely great.   The Scan 'n Cut is easier, quieter and more limited in the sense that original work is tough and so is very close measuring.  SNC mats don't last long and are way more expensive. 
Figure out what you need and be prepared to add on as your skills improve. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I should add on to my previous post a couple of "cons" on the Scan 'n Cut. The mats lose their stickiness very quickly. There are good solutions, however. Keep the dust cover (plastic film) on the mat when not in use. Clean it with a baby wipe after each use. When it's no longer sticky, you need to remove the old adhesive with Goo Gone or something similar (a long and tedious process) then restick with a Zig 2-way glue pen with chisel tip. This doesn't need to be done very often, maybe once or twice a year. Unless you get the high-end machine that sets its own blade depth, there is the risk of cutting through your mat. You can avoid this problem by always doing a test cut until you know for sure what blade depth you should use with your preferred materials. I don't have the high-end machine, so I don't know how well the self-adjusting blade works.
SCS Fan Club Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bejoyceView Post
I don't have the high-end machine, so I don't know how well the self-adjusting blade works.

I do have the high end machine (the SDX). The self-adjusting blade works great, you can see the outline of the cut on the mat but it doesn't cut into the mat.
The 'con' for the high end machines is that the original firmware pulled the mat into the machine quickly and if it was misaligned, it would proceed to trash the mat to the point where it wouldn't load any more. Brother released a fix to the firmware around March last year which makes it load the mats more slowly, thus avoiding the problem (mostly, there is a bit of a knack to loading the mats). So if you buy the SDX machine, I recommend upgrading the firmware to the latest version before you start to play.
The other difference with the SDX machines is that the mats are slightly more expensive than the original machine mats and they only load in one direction. The original machine mats can be loaded either way. You can still get good use of the whole area of the mat, you just need to vary where you put your cardstock.
If you get heavily into cutting vinyl, there's a vinyl roller holder for the SDX.
HTH
Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Default Scan N Cut..my recommendation

I have never regretted getting this machine! It cuts fabric for appliqués and wonderful on Paper n vinyl . Many things I don’t have to buy because it’s already in the machine. I love their editing program and how it cleans up designs. but I Did add SCAL for cleaning up designs. It does beautiful job cutting around stamped images. You don’t have that white around it! I make awesome cards with the cut out pieces..YouTube has some wonderful teaching videos. It recognizes PES for embroidery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I want an electronic machine that will cut dies and emboss.  Love my Cuttlebug for both, but I now have BAD tendonitis and need an electronic machine - if there is such an animal that will cut and emboss.  Help, Please! 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

The Brother ScanNCut has an embossing add-on, although it doesn't look as if it's going to give the same effect as the embossing folders do https://www.mybrother.co.nz/Public/ViewProduct/CAEBSKIT1
A simpler option would be one of the electric machines (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Sizzix-660540.../dp/B00R50GNG8) which do the same as the manual versions but at the press of a button.
HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2020, 05:41 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachybabyView Post
I want an electronic machine that will cut dies and emboss.  Love my Cuttlebug for both, but I now have BAD tendonitis and need an electronic machine - if there is such an animal that will cut and emboss.  Help, Please! 
Different kind of machine than what has been mentioned here so far, but for using your dies and embossing folders, I recommend the Gemini Jr.  If you search the forum, you’ll see many conversations about this machine along with tips and things to consider. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post

It will cut holes inside the image but you have to use Scan to Cut Data instead of Direct Cut.

Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post

Different kind of machine than what has been mentioned here so far, but for using your dies and embossing folders, I recommend the Gemini Jr.  If you search the forum, you’ll see many conversations about this machine along with tips and things to consider. 

Thank you, Beachbum and others.  I bought the Gemini Jr and love it.  It's perfect for my needs - die cutting and embossing.  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2020, 08:06 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Scan N Cut

I must admit, I am not happy with my Scan N Cut. I bought it as a total impulse purchase last year, mostly for fussy cutting, and became very disappointed within 3 months. FIrst I needed an extra-tacky mat. Then I found how quickly the mats get dirty. The last straw was the mat being dragged into the machine crooked, and getting bent on the edges.

I cleaned the mat, I re-stickied it, I took every bit of advice from everyone in every FB group or on YouTube. A spokesperson for the company said, "It's like a car. You don't just buy it and drive it and that's it." She advised buying extra blades, several extra mats, etc.

I'm not a "machine person" as it is--I get frustrated with tech easily. So the durned thing has been sitting unused since the pandemic started. I am thinking I'll just sell it.

<style></style>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinblack1964View Post
I must admit, I am not happy with my Scan N Cut. I bought it as a total impulse purchase last year, mostly for fussy cutting, and became very disappointed within 3 months. FIrst I needed an extra-tacky mat. Then I found how quickly the mats get dirty. The last straw was the mat being dragged into the machine crooked, and getting bent on the edges.

I cleaned the mat, I re-stickied it, I took every bit of advice from everyone in every FB group or on YouTube. A spokesperson for the company said, "It's like a car. You don't just buy it and drive it and that's it." She advised buying extra blades, several extra mats, etc.

I'm not a "machine person" as it is--I get frustrated with tech easily. So the durned thing has been sitting unused since the pandemic started. I am thinking I'll just sell it.

<style></style>

I'm sorry to hear of your frustration, but I want to encourage you to try again. You may have damaged your mat when you fed it in crooked, so you might need to replace it. But you need only one mat, one blade, etc. Use both hands when you feed it in, to make sure it's going in straight. Clean it with a non-alcohol baby wipe after each session. As for the stickiness, yes, that is a bit of an issue. But it's really easy to remove the existing adhesive and then re-stick it. You need to do that rarely--depending on how much you use it, maybe once or twice a year. 

I use my Scan 'n Cut mostly for "fussy cutting" stamped images. I have saved the cost of the machine several times over when compared to the cost of buying dies. If you need some hand-holding, PM me and I'll try to help.

Good Luck! Once you master it, the machine is such fun and such a time-saver!

SCS Fan Club Member
QFTD215
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

As the old saying goes, if I had a dime for every time...
I've watched videos. I've taken classes. I have had people walk me through steps.

I do use both hands when I feed the mat in. The thing is, I never did use dies. I'm a collage artist--I do some fussy cutting every now and then. I don't make cards, and I rarely ever need large amounts of images for projects. Honestly, I think I just got bedazzled by the thing.

Your offer is very kind. I will get in touch in case I decide to take you up on it!

<style></style>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

<style></style>
Did you get one of the SDX models? If so, there's a known design fault with the mat feed mechanism which can cause it to pull the mat in too fast, skew it and scrunch it. When that happens, your mat is probably dead.
There are a couple of things which make it better, which you may have picked up from videos etc. One of them I only found out about this week. Firstly, Brother made a firmware update which causes the feed rollers to operate more slowly and gently. That appears to reduce the chance of a misfeed.
The other (from this video but I'll summarise as the video is nearly an hour long ) look at the bottom of your mat. There's a row of dots to the left and to the right of the hanging hole. Count the ones on the left, add to 2010 and that's the year of mat manufacture. Count the ones on the right and that is the month of manufacture. Early mats were more prone to misfeeding, and Brother offered to replace some early mats (watch the video for details). I'm currently using an 07/2018 mat without issues, although they implied mats up to the end of October 2018 were suspect. The back story to the video appears to be that the makers put out a very negative review online of the SDX because of the mat issues and Brother hastily got in touch. Seriously, it shouldn't take that in order to get a fix for such a significant issue.
So, a firmware upgrade (if you haven't already done this) and a recent mat might solve your misfeed problem.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2020, 12:57 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Yes, it's an SDX.

Do you know when the firmware update was done? Because I stopped using my machine in March and it was up to date.

Also, I know about the dots etc. on the bottom of the mats, and there's  no problem with them. They're supposed to be the "good mats." We've been on the phone with Brother a number of times.

This is why I am giving up. I've tried everything and I just don't have the patience to diddle around with this machine. They make it look so easy in the videos, don't they? I know I'm not going to use this machine enough to make up for what I paid for it. I have no intention of doing T-shirts, glasses, or signs to sell on Etsy, I don't scrapbook, and as I said, how many fussy cut images could I possibly need?

Sorry for sounding so angry but believe me, I've tried everything everyone has suggested.

<style></style>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Mine is an SDX1200 and I upgraded it to firmware version 1.51 in August this year. I don't see a date on Brother's support site saying when that version was first made available though.
Don't worry about sounding so angry - I've been there too and I know how it feels. I wish I could have helped you better, but really the only thought I can offer is to check your firmware edition against the latest on the Brother site and try an update if there's a more recent version than what you have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #29  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

I use blue painter's tape to hold my paper in place.  I am not sure if it would work in your machine or not, mine is a little older. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2020, 01:40 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I will check the firmware when I get home from work later. Thanks!
<style></style>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2020, 03:44 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Quote:

Yes, it's an SDX.

Do you know when the firmware update was done? Because I stopped using my machine in March and it was up to date.

Also, I know about the dots etc. on the bottom of the mats, and there's  no problem with them. They're supposed to be the "good mats." We've been on the phone with Brother a number of times.

This is why I am giving up. I've tried everything and I just don't have the patience to diddle around with this machine. They make it look so easy in the videos, don't they? I know I'm not going to use this machine enough to make up for what I paid for it. I have no intention of doing T-shirts, glasses, or signs to sell on Etsy, I don't scrapbook, and as I said, how many fussy cut images could I possibly need?

Sorry for sounding so angry but believe me, I've tried everything everyone has suggested.

<style></style>

I’m with you! I think I get my machine to work properly about 50% of the time, and it’s too expensive for such a low success rate. It scans beautifully, but I find the included software difficult to use (Silhouette was much easier), the mats finicky to care for and expensive, the auto blade needs to be set manually for best results, and it’s frustrating when one paper wrinkle on a new or almost-new mat will cut through my image. I was really hoping to avoid all the fussy cutting, but the stamps I work with most are The Greetery or Altenew, and it’s so much easier to use the dies. If you work primarily with Avery Elle, Lawn Fawn, MFT, or stamps that tend to have a clear outline image—and you have a dedicated space to keep your machine out and set up—you may fare better than I have. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Hi, Leah--

Actually, I rarely work with stamps at all. the type of fussy cutting I'm talking about results in stuff like Tim Holtz's Paper Dolls, or his Ephemera packs (i.e. vintage roses and flowers).

At this point, I don't see myself taking up stamping. It's just not something I enjoy very much (even though i do like this forum a lot, LOL).

Sorry to hear your experiences have been similar to mine. I've heard other software works better, such as Sure Cuts a Lot (SCAL). You can do a trial version of that program. There's another good one but I can't remember its name, darn.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2020, 04:42 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you all for the feedback. I think I’ll look into the scan and cut machine. I would like the ability to fussy cut stamped images to avoid trying to line the stamps up to make a nice “picture”. I recently realized my holiday cards will need to have 6 images cut out for card and I’m not looking forward to it. Lol. My own fault but I purchased the stamps and I’m determined to use them. �
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2020, 04:20 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Hi, Leah--

Actually, I rarely work with stamps at all. the type of fussy cutting I'm talking about results in stuff like Tim Holtz's Paper Dolls, or his Ephemera packs (i.e. vintage roses and flowers). 

Girl after my own heart. I read you did a lot of collage work. I adore collage. I fussy cut images almost every day of the week.

I own a Scan'n'Cut. I have given it good reviews over here. I hardly ever use it for fussy cutting images that are not stamped or on scrapbook paper. Even scrapbook paper I am fussy cutting out the images.

I am a tech girl. SNC only has so much memory. The more complex the image is the memory can't handle it. SNC is good for a lot of basics. You can do complex but you have to do a little bit at a time or the machine will just fall over in a faint.

I admit I hardly have touched my SnC this year. It does set right in front of me at my desk. Last year I was using it almost on a daily basis.

I got a Cricut Joy this year and it has replaced my SnC as my most used cutter. Cricut Joy does not scan. I love it for basic images, & paper piecing. I tend to work in small.

I do a lot of Print & Cut. I never ever use my SnC for Print & Cut. I use my Silhouette Cameo.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I've stayed away from these electronic machines because of all the confusion and so many choices!  Now, after reading all these comments, I'm glad I did....but still am curious about them. First question would be: why would I want one & what would I do with it?  Would be nice to cut down on buying expensive dies....  I stayed on the fence for several years when die cutting machines came on the scene.  Got overloaded with choices and all the various "sandwiches" chatter.  Finally saw a Big Shot in person and she demoed it for me.  I.was.hooked!  Bought my Big Shot about 6 years ago, still works great and never looked back!  Really added so much fun to my stamping hobby!  Now to do more investigating on these electronic machines.... :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2020, 03:22 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

mphb- I have said this for a long time about die cutters that they are like sewing machines. There are ten million on the market but you need to pick the one that fits your needs. Of course there are not ten million die cutters on the market, lol.

I have the majority of the machines because I am a geek and tech girl so it's fun for me. If I had to pick one, and only one then it would be a Silhouette Cameo. I do a lot of Print & Cut. I prefer the Silhouette for P&C.

Some of the ladies here can't live without their ScanNCut because they can have matching "dies" with their stamp images. That saves thousands of dollars for a lot of stampers.

Other ladies couldn't part with their Cricut because it's easy to use, mobile and has a large subscription library.

JoAnn & Amazon have quizzes (least the last time I looked) that help you pick out the machine for you need.

Pretty much all the machines do the same thing but each machine has a stronger characteristic that is better than the other.

Reply With Quote Likes