Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first started making cards, I thought I'd start with monthly card kits.
Every one of the kits I received were for 5" by 6-1/4".
It seemed a waster of cardstock to me unless I bought those cards premade.
After I got my feet wet, I learned more.
I found in Britain, square cards as very popular, but in the states, you must pay extra postage for them as they need hand stamped by the post office. I was told the square cards do not go through the machines properly. Who knows.
These are the card sizes I know:
4-1/4" by 5-1/2" are A2 and standard size (no additional postage needed),
5" by 6-1/4" cards are A6 and considered Greeting Card size (depending on weight and thickness, additional postage may be needed)
5" by 7" are A7 and are considered Invitation size (more postage needed).
There is a 4 Bar card that are 3-1/2" by 4-7/8" and are considered RSVP card sizes.
Another card is smaller, like a gift card, that is considered a reception card, these cannot be mailed are used inside of formal invitations.
Note Cards are 3-1/2" by 5" (I think). I don't have my card size chart available (lost on the hard drive), but I think there is a 4" by 6" card as well, but I cannot remember if it has a number or not.
I admit that after making the larger A6 cards for sometime, it was difficult doing the A2's. They looked either too small or too crowded.
Now, after working for Stampin Up in the past and Fun Stamping Journey now, I only use A6 cards for multi-functioning cards (meaning they have more than 1 mechanism that makes them move).
My Breast Cancer cards are a mix of A2 and A6 as I like a larger shaker card.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #42  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I like working BIG on special cards, so I'm a fan of 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 cards. I find the A2 seems kind of less than impressive when you're celebrating an occasion. I use the 6 X 9 clear or white envelopes with the big cards. I like lots of layers, so it's easy to fill up the space.
I think (like lots of previous posters) that A2 became the standard because of using a half sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 CS. Between the old computer generated cards (I'm OLD too...) and SU demos turning out 4 1/4 X 5 1/2 cards, it just became the default size.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 03:46 PM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphyre333View Post
When I first started making cards, I thought I'd start with monthly card kits.
Every one of the kits I received were for 5" by 6-1/4".
It seemed a waster of cardstock to me unless I bought those cards premade.
After I got my feet wet, I learned more.
I found in Britain, square cards as very popular, but in the states, you must pay extra postage for them as they need hand stamped by the post office. I was told the square cards do not go through the machines properly. Who knows.
These are the card sizes I know:
4-1/4" by 5-1/2" are A2 and standard size (no additional postage needed),
5" by 6-1/4" cards are A6 and considered Greeting Card size (depending on weight and thickness, additional postage may be needed)
5" by 7" are A7 and are considered Invitation size (more postage needed).
There is a 4 Bar card that are 3-1/2" by 4-7/8" and are considered RSVP card sizes.
Another card is smaller, like a gift card, that is considered a reception card, these cannot be mailed are used inside of formal invitations.
Note Cards are 3-1/2" by 5" (I think). I don't have my card size chart available (lost on the hard drive), but I think there is a 4" by 6" card as well, but I cannot remember if it has a number or not.
I admit that after making the larger A6 cards for sometime, it was difficult doing the A2's. They looked either too small or too crowded.
Now, after working for Stampin Up in the past and Fun Stamping Journey now, I only use A6 cards for multi-functioning cards (meaning they have more than 1 mechanism that makes them move).
My Breast Cancer cards are a mix of A2 and A6 as I like a larger shaker card.
The 5 x 7 size size fits within the accepted limits of maximum 6 1/8 x 11 1/2 and does not need extra postage unless more than 1 ounce or thicker than 1/4 inch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #44  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saphyre333View Post
Yes, I had that software too and you always had to take the card from the printer after doing the front, flip it around and feed it back through to make sure the sentiment was done the right way when folded!
OMG! The headaches.
When I remarried, my hubby and I decided we were both adults who had been living together for 3 years, so we did not need a big wedding and all of the trappings involved. I had a big Irish Catholic wedding the first time and it didn't last 8 years!
We didn't tell anyone and went to Myrtle Beach with our dog in attendance! We got a JOP to marry us on the beach.
We bought that software and a pretty parchment stationary to print our own announcements. I think we messed up half a box of that stationary before we got the hang of it!!!
Ah, memories!!
Ditto. Not the marriage, but the card making software. Mine allowed me to put a sentiment on the card, which printed out on one of the 4 panels. I also had clip art software that was just horrible. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2015, 08:02 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Default That explains it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
The 5 x 7 size size fits within the accepted limits of maximum 6 1/8 x 11 1/2 and does not need extra postage unless more than 1 ounce or thicker than 1/4 inch.
That explains why I always pay more postage as if I am going to make a card that big, it's going to be a doozy!
I'll have to post pictures of a breast cancer shaker card I made at that size. It is nearly 1/2" thick and weighs in at 1.73 ounces according to my postal scale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #46  
Matboard Maniac

Hello guys and gals! I apologize that it took me so long to reply to my own thread. Life is crazy right now! I appreciate all the info. I have always been worried that recipients of my cards would think I was being 'cheap' by sending such a small (A2) card (as someone else replied here). I think the size is so cute, though... and it IS nice to be able to make two cards from one sheet of cardstock. I've been making my cards 5x7, but I think I'm going to switch to A2. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to share your knowledge with me!

Oops.. also wanted to mention that I'm a huge fan of square cards, too!

Last edited by BohemianBelle; 11-03-2015 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: added something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

The A with a number stands for announcement type envelopes, as opposed to others like baronial, or office, or catalog, etc.

Here's the sizes:

A-2 envelope � 4⅜ � 5�
A-6 envelope � 4� � 6�
A-7 envelope � 5� � 7�
A-8 envelope � 5� � 8⅛
A-10 envelope � 6 � 9�
A-Slim envelope � 3⅞ � 8⅞

Envelopes are just a tad bit bigger than the card that goes inside.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #48  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too like to make A7 size cards or 6" square cards. I generally purchase 12x12 cardstock. When cutting the A7 card, I have a nice 5" strip leftover that is great for matting another card so for me I have very little wasted cardstock.

I also am a huge fan of digital images, I can make them the size I need to fit the card I'm making. I do have a few stamp sets that I love but I do need to "make them work" on the A7 cards.

My biggest struggle comes when I try to use the coverplate dies that are made to be used on A2 cards. Oh how I wish they came in a larger size!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 11:30 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpritschetView Post
I too like to make A7 size cards or 6" square cards. I generally purchase 12x12 cardstock. When cutting the A7 card, I have a nice 5" strip leftover that is great for matting another card so for me I have very little wasted cardstock.
I like that idea. I have quite the stash of strips from using 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Have you found a heavier weight of 12x12 to use? My supply would create a pretty floppy card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2015, 01:11 PM   #50  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpritschetView Post

My biggest struggle comes when I try to use the coverplate dies that are made to be used on A2 cards. Oh how I wish they came in a larger size!
Maybe it's time to consider an electronic cutter like the Silhouette or Brother Scan n Sew?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2016, 05:37 AM   #51  
Matboard Maniac

I use Bazzill 12"x12" cardstock and seems to hold up quite well for my needs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Hi there, ever since Michaels came out with 110 pound CS, I've been using that mostly for card bases and because I love thin metal dies I love the space I get to create a sturdy card without a lot of bulk. I have the envelope punch board but I don't use copy paper I use light weight sketch paper with a smooth finish. Just for my envelopes though. Much cheaper for those is need of odd sizes or want a nice finish envelope or to use their 65lb patterned paper which I also do.

My favorite sizes are square cards, 4.5 x 6 and 5 x 7. Christmas time however can be a little daunting so most times I go to the 5.5 x 4.25

My favorite for card bases however will always be watercolor paper 90lb from Strathmore. It weight is perfect for larger card bases and the size I get is the 11" x 15" pads.

It gives me 2= 5"x7" (great for gate fold cards), 2= 5.5 x 5.5, 2= 4.5" x 6", 2= 3".75" x 8" or taller that will fit a business size envie of 4 1/8 x 9 1/5, 3=4.25' x 5.5"

These are only the amount of card bases I get from one sheet each. so when I decide on a card base size I normally go for my watercolor paper, otherwise if I want a colored base then I use SU CS.

Last edited by 2busyscrappin; 02-17-2016 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: missing words
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #53  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2busyscrappinView Post
Hi there, ever since Michaels came out with 110 pound CS, I've been using that mostly for card bases and because I love thin metal dies I love the space I get to create a sturdy card without a lot of bulk. I have the envelope punch board but I don't use copy paper I use light weight sketch paper with a smooth finish. Just for my envelopes though. Much cheaper for those is need of odd sizes or want a nice finish envelope or to use their 65lb patterned paper which I also do.

My favorite sizes are square cards, 4.5 x 6 and 5 x 7. Christmas time however can be a little daunting so most times I go to the 5.5 x 4.25

My favorite for card bases however will always be watercolor paper 90lb from Strathmore. It weight is perfect for larger card bases and the size I get is the 11" x 15" pads.

It gives me 2= 5"x7" (great for gate fold cards), 2= 5.5 x 5.5, 2= 4.5" x 6", 2= 3".75" x 8" or taller that will fit a business size envie of 4 1/8 x 9 1/5, 3=4.25' x 5.5"

These are only the amount of card bases I get from one sheet each. so when I decide on a card base size I normally go for my watercolor paper, otherwise if I want a colored base then I use SU CS.
Thanks for these details! And since I live not too far from you (I'm over in Brampton area) I appreciate the fact that I can no doubt find the same stuff that you recommend. Thanks again for posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 07:12 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Your very welcome. When Michaels has there buy 1 get 1 sale I try to buy at least 4 which lasts me alooong time. When back to school starts is when they have the best deals and still have my stash from the last school sale.

I did forget to mention that its the yellow pad 300 series.

Also the Canson XL pads of 30 sheets I like as well and if I can find the Biggie Jr size of 50 pages I'll buy those ones too. I cant find them as easily anymore though which also 90lb 11x15. Same paper more pages.

There are bigger sizes also but I didn't do the size calculations on that one

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carol WView Post
Thanks for these details! And since I live not too far from you (I'm over in Brampton area) I appreciate the fact that I can no doubt find the same stuff that you recommend. Thanks again for posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2017, 05:15 PM   #55  
Cardstock Collector

Default I prefer larger cards

I must be in the minority but I prefer a larger card. The A2 size will always be a "note card" to me. I make the A6 and A7 size cards and, unlike what someone else said, I don't pay extra postage unless it's over an ounce and or it's too thick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 02:43 AM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting read, all of this info. Over here in the UK we don't seem to really have a standard. Most popular are A5 (A4 folded), 5"x7", or square cards, around the 6"x6" size. DL cards are also quite popular,(21cm x 9.9cm). We only get a postage increase once you hit actual A4 size envelopes. No postage difference for square cards.
Most of my cards are done with a folded A4 sheet, or the 6 x 6" square. I generally prefer the larger format. It's only when making a lot of Christmas Cards that i go smaller, and maybe for Sympathy, Thank you's and such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 10:39 AM   #57  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A2s are small. But the temptation to get two card bases out of a standard sheet of cardstock is great, I think.

I started doing tags and found it very freeing. I was having fun doing #8 tags then got ahead of myself and tried #10 tags and I see that I'm not ready for that much real estate yet. ;)!

You can't find much in the way of BG stamps for bigger cards. And limited EFs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 11:17 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Rachael, that it's just too tempting to get 2 card bases from one sheet of 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock.

That's how I started off making cards, and A2 is the size I usually make. Once in a while I will make a 5 x 7 for a special occasion or a grandchild's birthday, but mostly I make A2 size.

I never make square cards because I don't like having to make/find envelopes for them, and also pay extra postage.

When I make the 5 x 7's, I have a little trouble adjusting to placement on the larger size because I'm so accustomed to the smaller format.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #59  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And anyway, a handmade A2 card beats a storebought card of any size, any day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #60  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Yes it does!

I use all sorts of sizes, and I will make envelopes if I have to.

I find the A2 small but are handy if I am making a relatively quick card - you know the 4 hour one as opposed to the 8 to 12 hour ones:rolleyes:

I actually have my cardstock for A2 cards cut for me at Staples and I have it cut vertically instead of horizontal so my card crease is at the top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-15-2017, 01:30 PM   #61  
Watercolor Wizard

I almost never make an A2 card, with the exception of the SU group I go to. They're just too small for me, bigger is better. I make 5 1/2 X 8 1/2 cards (one 8 1/2 X 11 inch sheet, folded in half) and buy A9 envelopes (from Paperpapers online). If I'm going to work on a card for someone, I want it to be impressive.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 11:44 AM   #62  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I make my own bases, I just default to A2 size. A lot of online stores I shop in offer A2-sized envelopes in really pretty colors, too, which makes mailing faster and easier. I can also leave an A2 card in my mailbox for my postal worker to pick up, whereas other sizes require a trip to the post office to drop off.

I have tried other sizes in the past, but I always default back to A2.

One thing I'll mention is that working with any one size for a while will make it easier and faster to get its proportions right. I don't even really have to measure my 4x5.25" panels anymore, I can eyeball trimming a panel and get it just right. This makes it a lot easier to get into card sketch layouts.

Btw, if any of you love card sketches and working in A2 size, I strongly recommend Kristie Marcotte's blog. She shares 6x6 paper pad tutorials, along with card sketches with measurements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2017, 12:07 PM   #63  
Watercolor Wizard

As long as you have an accurate scale, and pay attention to the stated measurements, including thickness, you can mail anything under 13 ounces without taking it to the PO.

Also, if you want to see some pretty envelopes, Paperpapers.com has a great selection. I tend to stock up when they send the 70-75% off Clearance emails- there are always some envelopes in clearance. I have also bought some great heavyweight cardstocks there- 130-140#- that I use for bases. I cannot stand flimsy cs used as bases! I've stocked up on markers & gel pens (clearance, naturally!) as well.

I still think it's HUGELY Stampin Up's influence that made A2 the standard size in card making. Way back before SU got rolling, other than invitations & reply cards, who ever saw an A2 card? Since SU's cs is 8 1/2 X 11, cutting it in half and making an A2 card made the most sense for the demos. No scraps. (I don't have scraps from my bases either, but I use a whole sheet of 8 1/2 X 11, folded in half.) 2 cards out of each sheet of cs. Pretty economical.

I still like my A9 cards, always will. To each his or her own. Yup, it costs me more to mail them, but if I'm happy with the card, and care about the recipient, do I care how much mailing it costs?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2017, 02:33 AM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
I'm old, so I remember when "store bought" cards were a full sheet folded in quarters. Many years ago I had a card creator software program that printed on a full sheet & then you folded in quarters.
I remember that too. And we ain't old. We just seen a lot in our glorious lifetime!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #65  

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

I have NEVER thought about why A2 is standard. (And I can be pretty out-of-the-box about a lot of topics). THANK YOU for the diverse perspective this morning. So funny how I can just take something for granted and not see it another way. I've been making A2 for years, with the occasional exception. I guess when I get out-of-the-box is when I do art journaling. Have a rockin' day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2017, 04:57 AM   #66  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the "standard" size shrunk when people started making and using their own dies. I know that is when I finally caved and started to make smaller cards.

The machines were too small to accommodate full half sheets and continue to be the most made because too much $$ has now been invested in the smaller sized dies and embossing folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2017, 05:52 AM   #67  
Cardstock Collector

I make a few A2 cards, mostly for thank you Notes. I make my Birthday and other Greeting cards larger, usually A6 or A7. It's my personal preference. I tend to buy the precut card sets from Michael's. The cardstock quality is lightweight/not as good as I'd like but I usually add layers to my cards so that makes them nicer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #68  
Cardstock Collector

Like everyone says...it's more economical. I, on the other hand, like a big card (to give & get!), so I use 8 1/2 x 11 and fold it in half. I love filling up the space, making it very personalized, and having something that "makes an appearance". I don't waste paper by layering with full pieces either. I cut a one inch border and save the middle for other projects. Regular layering wastes too much good paper and this way I can do several layers using "frames" layered on top of each other. To each their own as they say!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's more difficult to make a smaller card --at least for me-- just as it's more difficult to make a clean and simple card than one with more detail in which mistakes are hidden! I find it extremely difficult to make an A2 card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #70  
Compulsive Stamper

Yes as folk have said i think A2 is popular as its 2 cards from one sheet of cardstock When I first started making cards to sell at craft fares over 20 years ago I found the most popular size to make would be A5 which was one sheet of A4 card folded in half (A4 is the standard size for card and printer paper in the UK) A4 measures approx 8.25" x 11.75"ish which made a card 8.25 x 5.75 ish! folk wanted that size as they were ordering "special cards" and were happy to pay a good price for them. to be honest the market for handmade cards hadn't really taken off yet and getting a personalised card made with names on it was a very special thing then, especially for the many unusual names out there! at that time I made the A2 cards for general get well and encouragement and note cards etc. I used to have my card delivered as A3 sheets then!

nowadays I don't do craft fares, but since the craft industry boom its so much easier to get blanks in many sizes. no big card company orders needed now! as there are local craft shops and markets stocking card blanks abundantly. (I still ensure they are good quality though!) Now I use card blanks wherever I can as I buy the packs with the envelopes included. The size of card blanks I reach for more is A7 (5"x7") it suits the stamps I own and gives me enough room to add a little more to my cards I very rarely make a card with just one layer, its just the style I have developed and come to love. The other card blanks I use a lot are 6"x6" square or 5.5" x 5.5" I do still make the A2 cards for encouragement cards as before but feel they do sometimes seem quite small. I buy my card packs in white, cream or Ivory and at Christmas time in red and craft.

I love to watch Sue Wilsons videos, she always seems to make 8" x 8" cards which look fabulous but seem massive to me! does anyone make cards that big? I guess they would be good for extra special boxed cards. she doesn't use stamped images so much though, its more of a die cut layers and 3d flowers card usually so the card is easy to fill
The size of embossing folders has been a bit limiting for larger cards I have to be quite creative at times! but I now have some A4 and 6x6 embossing folders as I have a cut n boss die cutting machine so the size is not really as much of an issue now but back when I started die cutting wasn't even thought of then! there were no machines (boy how far we have come!),

Generally when I start from scratch with card stock its because i either want a coloured base or I am making a fancy fold card. my card making is for fun now rather than for business, its just a matter of finding what is pleasing to you! doing what you love and loving what you do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2018, 02:26 AM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

Hi Papercraftess, yes, I use 8x8, 7x7, 6x6 card blanks almost all the time. I also usually use A4 folded. It's rare for me to go smaller, in fact it's generally only when I'm making a largish batch- probably Christmas Cards- for work colleagues/acquaintances.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2018, 04:46 AM   #72  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

What a neat thread. I never saw it when originally posted but am so glad you all revived it. Ive been making cards since 2005 but only in the last year or two have started making a variety of card sizes thanks to the Envelope Punch Board. It wasn't until I saw so many sizes listed there that I wondered why I almost always made A2.

But to be honest, I just made a series of cards for my husband to give to a French colleague and they are all A2. I suppose thats why she always says they're so CUTE... To her they're small!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #73  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
Hi Papercraftess, yes, I use 8x8, 7x7, 6x6 card blanks almost all the time. I also usually use A4 folded. It's rare for me to go smaller, in fact it's generally only when I'm making a largish batch- probably Christmas Cards- for work colleagues/acquaintances.

HELLO SHAZ
do you sell your cards?
how do you sell the 8x8 boxed?
have you had any problems with postage?

thanks for your reply
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2018, 06:34 AM   #74  

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

If it's a special card I say waste be damned and make it 5 by 7 with a custom envelope from the envelope punch board, but for most cards I do A2 just for the economy
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2018, 09:19 AM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

I buy my card blanks in packs like you, and they come with envelopes. I don't make them fancy enough for boxes! I'd make a box if it had a lot of layers/ embellishments.
Sometimes I sell them, I often get asked to make them for work colleagues, so they want something a bit more special than shop bought.
We don't get charged extra for square cards in the UK, postage is standard until you go up to full A4 size. That's full size, not folded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 667 Likes on 346 Posts

I have always been a fan of giving cards to encourage people. So for most of my life I sent store-bought cards. When I started stamping and only sending hand-made cards, I made A2 and have never thought of them as being "chintzy" or "cheap-looking"! LM :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 02:14 AM   #77  
Matboard Maniac

To me an A2 is the normal size card. I also make 3.5 x 5 and 4.25 x 4.25. Since these square cards fit in an A2 envelope there is no extra postage required. I choose the size of the card depending on the size of the stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2018, 05:20 AM   #78  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcgView Post
:cool:What does the 'A' stand for and what does the '2' stand for?

Check out the attachment below. It explains the sizes available...for cards and envelopes. A2 is a card 4-1/4 x 5-1/2 in an envelope that is 4-3/8 x 5-3/4.

When I was printing, I understood the basis system for A, B, and C size papers. They're the full sheet sizes of paper (around 3ft by 4 ft for the A). That's A0, and A1 is cut in half. A2 is cut in half again. And so on down to A10. Same with the B and C size papers, which are even bigger.

But how that same numbering system got applied to envelope/card sizes, I would like to know too! There is no logical connection that I can find!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf envelope-size-chart.pdf (217.0 KB, 13 views)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #79  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Fionna you are such a treasure! You have so much great info you share!!! ((hugs)))!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Diane, thank you for sharing this and all the other tip sheets. You are a tremendous resource!
Reply With Quote Likes