Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #801  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by split-peaView Post
Long time no chatter girls. I've got tons of new posts on my blog about all the fun stuff I've been crocheting, but no flowers. Maybe we need a general crochet thread where we can chatter about crochet anything. lol

I have not been working on anything crochet related in sometime as I am working on Christmas and none of the gifts I am giving this year are crocheted.

But, 2 of our nieces and 1 nephew were here for the weekend and I started to teach the basics to the 2 girls and their Mom. We got the chain stitch and single crochet down pretty good. I will see them again at Thanksgiving and we will go over Dbl Crochet and start working on Granny Squares. Hopefully by Christmas, when we will see them again, they will be ready for flowers....at least they hope so!

The girls are 9 and 12.....the 12 yo has patience and persistence. The 9 yo is an instant gratification kiddo.....so we had some stomping off and tears. But, in the end she is on her way too!

Don't you think that these hand crafts, other than scrapbooking and stamping are a dying art? Not many kids want to just sit and crochet so, I admire these girls and their mom!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #802  
Gabfest Goddess

That's so cool that you're teaching them. I think the reason kids don't learn is they don't see their elders crocheting. If their parents, grandparents, uncles or aunts crocheted they would see it as an option for a hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2009, 07:25 AM   #803  
Gabfest Goddess

I started a crochet chatter thread over in eveyday chatter. So I won't be cluttering up this thread with non flower stuff. LOL Here's a link. Crochet Chatter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2009, 09:01 AM   #804  
Gabfest Goddess

Hello all. What's everyone up to? I might try to finish up that flower scarf tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #805  
Rubber Obsessor

I love this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #806  
Gabfest Goddess

Not flowers, but I thought if you did them in thread they would make great embellies.

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/cr...snowflake
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #807  
Polyshrink Goddess

Perfect time of year to post these. Thanks bunches! Can't wait to try making some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #808  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

the flakes are great! They actully look easy! I made the hat on a loom and made a flower out of yarn to embelly it, I inclueded the sure easy hat instructions too: http://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.co...nitty-with-it/ I also made a big sunflower out of the scraps, I'll post it when I have it on a hat;) Thanks for keepin this awesome thread alive;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 03:57 AM   #809  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by split-peaView Post
Not flowers, but I thought if you did them in thread they would make great embellies.

http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/cr...snowflake.html
Thanks Shelly that is a nice find for this time of the year. I have some cotton thread by my chair.....wanting to work on edgings again.....might give it a go! I used to have a whole tree covered in these.....way back in the 80's. It was the rage then! I starched them for the tree.

I am sorry that I have not been a contributor for awhile, life is just so busy lately!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #810  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsaymayView Post
the flakes are great! They actully look easy! I made the hat on a loom and made a flower out of yarn to embelly it, I inclueded the sure easy hat instructions too: http://thefrugalcrafter.wordpress.co...nitty-with-it/ I also made a big sunflower out of the scraps, I'll post it when I have it on a hat;) Thanks for keepin this awesome thread alive;)

that's an awwesome project!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 AM   #811  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

These snowflakes look alot easier than the pattern I have!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #812  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Cute hat. Great use of the flower. Your son did a great job on the scarf. So adorable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #813  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cvansluysView Post
Thanks Shelly that is a nice find for this time of the year. I have some cotton thread by my chair.....wanting to work on edgings again.....might give it a go! I used to have a whole tree covered in these.....way back in the 80's. It was the rage then! I starched them for the tree.

I am sorry that I have not been a contributor for awhile, life is just so busy lately!
I was thinking of doing a few for the tree too.

I think we'll all have more time for this thread after we are done with holiday stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 05:09 AM   #814  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

I love this thread and am subbing to find it easier. Thanks for all the great ideas and hints.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #815  
Rubber Obsessor

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #816  
Polyshrink Goddess

Subbing

http://craftermeetstamper.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:53 PM   #817  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this thread has been around for sometime! I stumbled across it last week while searching for something else. I finally made it through reading the entire thread. Woohoo! Last year I taught myself to knit. Recently, I started teaching myself to crochet. So, I'll definitely be trying to crochet these flowers and butterflies. There is one thing that I didn't see anywhere in the thread that I thought of, and will give it a try. That is, when using embroidery floss, mixing colors. Like, 3 strands color A and 3 strands color B, or 2 strands each of three colors, or maybe even 1 strand each of 6 colors. Not really sure how it's going to turn out, but want to find out. Only difficulty I can see is that in undivided floss the 6 strands are intertwined, so when you divide the floss and combine the strands you lose that. Splitting of the floss might become a problem. But, we'll see. Has anyone else given this a try already?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #818  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts

I've not tried it with using variable colors of thread. I'm wondering if any of the demos have come up with the new DMC color matches for the new SU colors. Maybe I'll email a friend about that. Wish I'd copied the chart before they switched the colors around so I'd at least have some of them LOL

In the mean time, I'm crocheting in crochet cotton thread - white and dying to match with the reinkers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 01:46 PM   #819  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by afdishView Post
Wow, this thread has been around for sometime! I stumbled across it last week while searching for something else. I finally made it through reading the entire thread. Woohoo! Last year I taught myself to knit. Recently, I started teaching myself to crochet. So, I'll definitely be trying to crochet these flowers and butterflies. There is one thing that I didn't see anywhere in the thread that I thought of, and will give it a try. That is, when using embroidery floss, mixing colors. Like, 3 strands color A and 3 strands color B, or 2 strands each of three colors, or maybe even 1 strand each of 6 colors. Not really sure how it's going to turn out, but want to find out. Only difficulty I can see is that in undivided floss the 6 strands are intertwined, so when you divide the floss and combine the strands you lose that. Splitting of the floss might become a problem. But, we'll see. Has anyone else given this a try already?
I am by no means an "expert crocheter" but I have crocheted off and on for years. I made a bunch of the flowers using regular #10 crochet thread in various colors that I had left from other projects. They turned out cute, and didn't take long to make. I made quite a few in a neutral beige/ecru color, and used them with different colored small buttons or brads in the middle to match my cards.

I did try using the embroidery floss, but just the solid colors, not splitting them. I will say that I found it a real pain to use the floss compared to the crochet thread. It wanted to split and seemed too tedious a process to me. I only made one that way, and went back to the regular thread.

Have fun with the flowers.

A little OT, but have you seen the fabric "yo yo's" made with small circles of fabric and used as embellishments. They can be used like the flowers and are cute and easy to make.

Check out Mish Mash's blog to see them in action:

Mish Mash: Yo Yos

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #820  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinCEOView Post
I've not tried it with using variable colors of thread. I'm wondering if any of the demos have come up with the new DMC color matches for the new SU colors. Maybe I'll email a friend about that. Wish I'd copied the chart before they switched the colors around so I'd at least have some of them LOL

In the mean time, I'm crocheting in crochet cotton thread - white and dying to match with the reinkers.
I found an old list, rearranged it to match the current color setup. There are 11 new colors not in the old list that are in the current setup; i.e. the 5 2010-2011 In Colors and 6 that were added to the main colors during the color renovation. Since I don't have any SU cardstock yet to compare to, the next time I see my Demo (in about a week and half), I will take my DMC color chart and figure out what DMC colors to assign to those 11. I have one of the good DMC charts with the actual floss samples, and not just pictures of the floss colors, so I should be able to come up with a very good match up. Here is the revamped list as is right now: DMC EMBROIDERY Floss conversion for SU colors as of FEB2011.docx

I will repost this list once I have determined the remaining color matches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #821  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I am by no means an "expert crocheter" but I have crocheted off and on for years. I made a bunch of the flowers using regular #10 crochet thread in various colors that I had left from other projects. They turned out cute, and didn't take long to make. I made quite a few in a neutral beige/ecru color, and used them with different colored small buttons or brads in the middle to match my cards.

I did try using the embroidery floss, but just the solid colors, not splitting them. I will say that I found it a real pain to use the floss compared to the crochet thread. It wanted to split and seemed too tedious a process to me. I only made one that way, and went back to the regular thread.

Have fun with the flowers.

A little OT, but have you seen the fabric "yo yo's" made with small circles of fabric and used as embellishments. They can be used like the flowers and are cute and easy to make.

Check out Mish Mash's blog to see them in action:

Mish Mash: Yo Yos
Thank you Bugga! I am a slow knitter, so I'll probably be a slow crochet-er too. I am a very patient person, so I should do okay with the floss, at least with undivided floss, and maybe with mixed colors. We'll see. I will also use regular crochet thread, probably white, and dye to whatever color is choose. But I have a huge collection of embroidery floss that I'd like to put to use. I love to cross-stitch, have been doing that since I was 9. So, I have an inventory of floss. But I have a bunch of it that I don't plan on using in my cross-stitch work, because it is either an off-brand or older DMC floss that was manufactured before they changed their dying methods, and therefore often doesn't quite match the same color number as it looks after the dying method change. I went on an Ebay spree a few years back, trying to amass all the DMC floss colors. I didn't know about the dying method change until I got some of the ebay lots and noticed different labels, and some subtle color differences, and then researched for why that was. So, I have one bin of the newer DMC floss that I will use for cross-stitching, and one bin for the rest to use with whatever craft I can use them in. So, this will be a good use for some of the "craft" bin. I also, can use it for tying buttons onto cards, stitching on cards (when faux stitching just won't do), and whatever else I can think of. Also, when my son gets older, I will teach him to cross-stitch and make friendship bracelets, and whatever other crafts we'll do together that can use the craft floss.

Also, thank you for the blurb about yo-yos. I appreciate it. Personally, though, I've never really liked the yo-yos. Nothing about them really appeals to me. I know lots of SCS folks love them. So, I guess I'm just a little weird. Actually, I know I'm weird, and quite happy as I am. ;)

Thanks for the advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #822  
Matboard Maniac

Lightbulb

Quote:

I found an old list, rearranged it to match the current color setup. There are 11 new colors not in the old list that are in the current setup; i.e. the 5 2010-2011 In Colors and 6 that were added to the main colors during the color renovation. Since I don't have any SU cardstock yet to compare to, the next time I see my Demo (in about a week and half), I will take my DMC color chart and figure out what DMC colors to assign to those 11. I have one of the good DMC charts with the actual floss samples, and not just pictures of the floss colors, so I should be able to come up with a very good match up. Here is the revamped list as is right now: Attachment 209398

I will repost this list once I have determined the remaining color matches.
I got scraps of the 11 missing colors from my Demo, compared them to my DMC floss chart, and have updated the list. Here it is:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2011, 02:48 AM   #823  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I got scraps of the 11 missing colors from my Demo, compared them to my DMC floss chart, and have updated the list. Here it is:
thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:09 AM   #824  
Crimping Master

Default beginner Crochet Flower tutorial

Hi Stampers,
I'm going to post this in acouple of threads here because it is fun, easy and cheap I love crochet flowers (you know, they sell them in the SU catty for big bucks) and they are really easy to make. I made a video to show you how to make them. You do not need to know how to crochet already to make these. Here is the link: Video Tutorial: Easy Crochet Flowers! � Thefrugalcrafter’s Weblog

Also I have a list of links to patterns and crochet basics so do not be afraid to try this Here is a card I made with my flowers, stamps are by Stampin Up:

I linked back to this thread too in my blog post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #825  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:

Hi Stampers,
I'm going to post this in acouple of threads here because it is fun, easy and cheap I love crochet flowers (you know, they sell them in the SU catty for big bucks) and they are really easy to make. I made a video to show you how to make them. You do not need to know how to crochet already to make these. Here is the link: Video Tutorial: Easy Crochet Flowers! � Thefrugalcrafter�s Weblog

Also I have a list of links to patterns and crochet basics so do not be afraid to try this Here is a card I made with my flowers, stamps are by Stampin Up:

I linked back to this thread too in my blog post!
I wish I was that talented. I have tried to crochet several times and the furtherest I got was the initial chain. My mom was here about two weeks ago and I had her the stuff to make me some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 05:11 AM   #826  
Matboard Maniac

Default sticking crochet flowers

This is a very long and interesting thread - and has been going for a long time. I have been enjoying crocheting a variety of flowers (might have saved myself some time hunting for patterns if I looked here first).

I want to know how everyone adheres them to their cards? I find that if I am not using a brad, doublesided tape is a bit tricky, it does not always want to stick. I now only use cotton to crochet the flowers as wool/fancy yarns are too hairy and don't stick at all well.

Did anyone ever find the Butterfly pattern that Lacyquilter used to make her gorgeous little butterflies - I couldn't find it on her blog.

I have a few different cards in my gallery with crochet flowers that I have recently uploaded. I'd love you to take a look.
Prov. 11:25
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 05:17 AM   #827  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by natjaView Post
Did anyone ever find the Butterfly pattern that Lacyquilter used to make her gorgeous little butterflies - I couldn't find it on her blog.
I don't know about her pattern but you can find the cute and fast butterfly pattern I use here. You can see the one butterfly in the photo crocheted in mauve next to the larger light pink flower. It's a small, cute, and easy butterfly for cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 07:20 AM   #828  
Gabfest Goddess

I want to know how everyone adheres them to their cards? I find that if I am not using a brad, doublesided tape is a bit tricky, it does not always want to stick. I now only use cotton to crochet the flowers as wool/fancy yarns are too hairy and don't stick at all well.

I used the largest glue dot to hold mine down, or two smaller ones.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #829  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post

I used the largest glue dot to hold mine down, or two smaller ones.
I use fabric glue! Works perfectly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #830  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=natja;18264057]I want to know how everyone adheres them to their cards? I find that if I am not using a brad, doublesided tape is a bit tricky, it does not always want to stick. I now only use cotton to crochet the flowers as wool/fancy yarns are too hairy and don't stick at all well.
QUOTE]

If you are layering your card, I have left the ends hanging when I made the flower, poked two holes on the layer with the flowers. threaded the ends thru and either made a knot or just taped the ends down if I felt the knot would make too much of a bump
Reply With Quote Likes