Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Covering wooden letters

We are wrapping up the end of our 16 week Precept Bible study and for the teacher's gifts, another lady bought some big, thin wooden letters (about 8x10 inches). She has talked me into "making them pretty." I've never covered wood letters or anything wooden with pattern paper before and I'm needing to know if anyone can tell me how to do it knowing that I don't have ModPodge or even really know what that is. I have looked though thousands of posts and can't find what I need to know to do this project. On the plus side, while learning something else, someone did mention that using Crytal Effects works the same as ModPodge. Can someone walk me through this step by step? I need to have these projects done by early next week! What did I get myself into??!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Hi there I have sone everal of these letters before Christmas--what did was to turn the letter over--so the letter is backwards or the front of the letter is facing down on the table--on your cardstock that you are using to cover the letters. Take a pencil and trace around the letter as close as you can get then cut out the cardstock and glue the cardstock letter onto the front of the wooden letter--be sure you turn of the letter over for the front to be facing up. I myself used Hodge Podge--which you should be able to get at any hardware store it is like a thick white glue. Then after you have the cardstock on the wooden letter I used a fingernail emery board or sandpaper and sanded the edges to give a little more rustic look and also the paper is not hanging over the edges of the letters. I'm sure crystal effects would work for gluing also. Then you can embellish the letters anyway you like--with stickers, ribbons,--anything. I hope this helps to get you started.

Shelly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2007, 06:44 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Default still needing help!!...wooden letters

OK, I'm so far behind, but I finally got the nerve to use my Crystal Effects to put a thin layer on my wood and cover with pattern paper. I have yet to sand the edges, but I'm sure that won't be difficult.

My question is this: Do I need to add another layer of crystal effects on the top of the paper? I noticed when I used a small paint brush (all I have) to attach the paper that were were so many tiny bubbles.

I would love any other tips from others who know what they're doing.

Thanks,
Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2007, 08:41 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Smile

I have used Mod Podge for this kind of thing before. It dries clear, but not as shiney as the Crystal Effects. I usually sand the edges before the paper is completely dry, but I'm sure it doesn't matter. If you don't want the "rustic" look to your edges, consider covering the white, sanded edges with ink (using a dauber or direct-to-paper...umm, -wood!) or even painting the edges with a small paintbrush. Then, (after it's dry) apply a couple of coats of either Mod Podge or Crystal Effects. Be careful to get an even, smooth coat. (If you get a few air bubbles, try waving your heat gun over it for a few short seconds).

Good luck! HTH! Post your results!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Is the coating on top of the paper a necessity or can I leave it be? I don't have time to get Modge Podge and the closest I can get it is by driving 30 miles. The wood is only 1/8 in. thick and I am making it to be a wall hanging.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2007, 05:37 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

I would love some more help with my first opportunity at covering wooden letters with paper. Where did all those talented experts head off to...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2007, 05:46 PM   #7  
Retail Therapist

Hmmmm......do you have a Meijer's or Wal MArt? Even they carry Mod Podge.....otherwise I'd say you're doing ok! I did read somewhere that someone suggested using your finger to avoid the little bubbles. I would suggest doing a coat of something on top of the paper to protect it from getting torn........hth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Whenever I do these, I use mod podge to adhere and then again on top to seal. My bubbles always go away when it dries. I paint the edges just because I can't seem to wrap correctly. I never tried the sanding though; I will have to try it. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2007, 06:09 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Go to the Resources section, and under projects there is a tutorial on Altered Frames. This would be the same sort of thing as for the letters. Enjoy - I'm working on one now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2007, 10:42 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Default Here's the link to what I made

Thanks to those who helped answer my questions. Though I did not have time to add a layer of CE or Modge Podge over the pattern paper, it still turned out really well for my first time.

I just wanted to post a link to what I created. Hope you enjoy it...

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2007, 01:09 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

I was enjoying reading the posts and I have to say they came out GREAT! Especially for your first time! Good job!
Reply With Quote Likes