Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-20-2016, 11:20 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts
Default MMTPT440 ~ December 27, 2016 ~ Patching Up the Year

WELCOME TO TEAPOT TUESDAY
THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING TEAPARTY
AND CHALLENGE #430

MMTPT440 Patching Up the Year

Note: Anyone is welcome to play! You automatically become a Teapotter the first time you play in our challenge. Also, you do not have to write a story. You just have to be inspired by the teapot or by the story about this week's location! Have fun! If this is your first Teapot Tuesday Challenge, please mention that in your commentary so we can be sure to greet you properly, in pure Teapot Tuesday fashion! Your participation in Destination Station is 100% voluntary and not at all required. Just have fun!

I'm your hostess for this last tickle of the year. And as you all know, I don't really write stories - so here's my challenge theme.

I was trying a couple of months ago to think of a theme for this week's Tickle a Teapotter challenge as we close out the year. In my mind, with winter definitely settling in here, I was thinking of cosy blankets and comfort and warmth.

So, that set me to thinking of patchwork and quilting and memories. I know that nowadays most quilts are created with fabrics bought especially for the project - and with so many absolutely beautiful designs out there, why not! But in older times, they were often a way of using up scraps and leftovers, or even of putting worn-out garments to use. I still remember the patchwork quilt I made for my teddybear's four-poster bed, and what fun it was even as a child picking out scraps from the dresses and skirts my mother had made. Memory quilts can be made from old clothes as a memorial to someone who has died, but also to mark other stages along life's journey.

I know that this year has been a harder one for some amongst us, to varying degrees, but it can still be good to look back on happier memories. For me, my dad's dementia worsened to the point where he was no longer able to live on his own after a fall when he fractured his pelvis. Sometimes he's not too sure who I am, and on occasion when I leave, he tells me I'm a lovely doggie - or birdie, or whatever the word of the day is. If I'm visiting on a day when the weather is fine, we walk up to the community garden; he enjoys visiting the hens and ducks there. Sometimes some of the hens are a bit more free-ranging than they ought to be, having escaped from their run. When that happens, nothing will satisfy my father but that we get them back into the run before leaving the garden, and we're developing great teamwork skills; he takes a couple of stones off the chickenwire and holds it up with his stick while I chase the fugitives up along the side of the run till they reach his gap and go back in again. I'm glad he's happy to leave the running to me!!

My quilt represents the hens and the garden, and I have also added some patches cut from script paper - it was so sad clearing out his house and finding all the notes he had written to himself to remind him of all sorts of everything...

So my challenge to you this week is to make any kind of a patchwork card.
Extra cookies for incorporating a memory into it and sharing the memory with us.

CHALLENGE TRANSLATION: Make any type of patchwork card.
EPEC: Incorporate a memory into the card - and share the memory with us.

There are many lovely patchwork and quilting dies out there, but here are a couple of techniques for extra inspiration:
Quilted Card Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers
TLC544 ~ Cathedral Window Patchwork ~ photo and pdf tutorial

DESTINATION STATION:
This week our destination is each other! Once a month, we send our cards to each other! A little payback and reward to the teapotters for always sending their cards to the recipient of the Destination Station.

I have started this new thread in the Teapot Tuesday Extras Forum. If you are participating in the card exchange please go to this thread and follow the instructions.

Here is a Quick Link to the MMTPT440 Challenge Gallery

Here's my card: MMTPT440 Quilt Those Memories

Be sure to you use KEYWORD MMTPT440 in your upload and post a comment here so we can all see your card!

If you are confused about these challenges, see the first sticky post of this thread for more information. There is also a directory of individual challenges.
Attached Thumbnails
MMTPT440 ~ December 27, 2016 ~ Patching Up the Year-china-patchwork-teapot-lid-quilt-design-smooth-no-trim.jpg   MMTPT440 ~ December 27, 2016 ~ Patching Up the Year-5188779c556d0516260439716d0b194d.jpg  

Last edited by Ksnurse; 01-03-2017 at 04:36 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #2  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts
Exclamation PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

WOULD YOU LIKE TO GUEST HOSTESS A TICKLE IN 2017?

As we are coming to the end of another year of teaparties and tickles, it's time to work on the rota for next year's Tickle a Teapotter guest hostesses. My thanks to those who have already volunteered to host a challenge in the coming year.

All teapotters are welcome to host a challenge. You just have to find a teapot (or two), and write a story, long or short, to frame the challenge. Whilst we have some gifted storytellers in our midst, you all know that my write-ups are pretty basic, so anybody who likes to should feel free to volunteer. You'll email me the story and photo of the teapot, and I'll do all the admin.

We still have some free slots - there is a sign-up thread in the Teapot Extras forum HERE if you would like to be a guest hostess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 04:50 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 830 Likes on 584 Posts

I was lucky enough to have this card started working on a few cards for my MIL for a friend's Christmas gift.

MMTPT440 Quilted Hello by Shoe Girl - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:30 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 711 Likes on 545 Posts

Here is mine

Quilted Friendship card by snietje - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

and the inside

Quilted friendship card inside by snietje - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Snietje
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 05:43 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts

I love the idea of making a quilt card Sabrina!! I hardly ever use my quilt die, so this was the perfect opportunity!!

MMTPT440 Tickle Quilt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 06:32 AM   #6  
Favorites Team Notifier

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

That is such a sweet and sad story about your dad and I know how you feel, I know because my mother died from Alzheimer's disease. One of my sisters and I also had to clean out her house when she got too bad. That is very hard.God bless you with extra strength and wrap His arms around you during this time you and your dad are going through.
BIG HUGS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,503 Likes on 719 Posts

The only story I have is that I love Mary Engelbreit background papers. Thanks for the wonderful storyline for today, and TFL.

Patchwork Thanks by Kemernow - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Phil. 4:13: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 08:29 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 595 Likes on 369 Posts

Sabrina, this is a great challenge and was an opportunity to revisit the past. My mother also suffered from Alzheimers, but till the end (the last 9 months in a nursing home) she always recognised us, which was such a blessing, even though she could not verbalize it.My card:
MMTPT440 Mom's Quilt by yellowrose46 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #9  
Favorites Team Notifier

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Hi Sabrina, thank you for this challenge. I wish I had more time to do something a bit nicer with real stitching etc. but gotta go to work!! Holiday is over!

TPT Horse Memories by Stamperrobin - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

There is my quilt card. I drew the line at using anything smaller than a 1x1, so no fancy quilt patterns here.

So sorry to hear about your father, Sabrina. It was incredibly sad when my stepmother went through that.
Teapot Tuesday participant

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,179 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Here's my card! Stitched with a gold gel pen!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 12:11 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Love this idea of a nice cozy quilt card...and your story is heartwarming...my step dad had Alzheimers...and we would go visit him...and they had a little pond which he loved to go out and watch the ducks...when he was still able to walk..so your story brought back some good memories there...TFS
The joy of the Lord is your strength. Neh. 8:10

http://cardsbyjankeen.blogspot.ca/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 12:18 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 244 Likes on 184 Posts
Smile MMTPT440 Warmest Patchwork

My patchwork message- Stay Positive. Be happy. Used warm colors, did a reverse stencil to represent our chocolate baby bunny. Added some washi tapes, and lots of recycling! Here's Warmest patchwork
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 03:17 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a lovely challenge Sabrina, I wish I could give you a big hug and sit and listen to stories about your dad. I thought of my Grandma and Nan for hours while I was making this. Thank you. xx

MMTPT440 Quilters Cottages by susie australia - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry, no memories to share with this card. I hope everybody makes some happy memories in 2017!!! "Knot" Your Average Card by Sunshinesense - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Chemo Angel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thank you, Sabrina for sharing your story. I look forward to coming to the tea party. But I must sit and think on a memory
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default TY Sabrina

TY Sabrina for such a wonderful idea and sharing about you and your dad. I wish too i could give you big hugs in person, but feel them from way over here...BIG...HUGS...God be with you in these times...and always my friend.Going to put my thinking cap on...:0)
We as people are raindrops of colorful ink , falling down Crisp and Clear, each a different shade more vibrant then the last, but once we realize at the bottom of an endless abyss we all fall into the same inkpot forming one color, only then can we come together as one My son.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I am back...I did think and here is what tumbled out...

crafted by hand

Can't wait to peruse the gallery...I'll bet it is full of tributes. Thanks Sabrina for this perfect way to celebrate 2016.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2016, 03:26 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Here is my card.

MMTPT440 Grandma's Quilt by buddy'smama - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey...got my card done early...wow//www.splitcoaststampers.com/gallery/photo/2772488?&cat=500&ppuser=153586

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

MMTPT440 ~ A Warm 2016 Ending by heartsong47 - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2016, 01:09 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default " You're Amazing "

Yah got my thinking cap on and finished...Wonderful way to end the year Sabrina.TYSM...Here is my You're Amazing...for the party....
We as people are raindrops of colorful ink , falling down Crisp and Clear, each a different shade more vibrant then the last, but once we realize at the bottom of an endless abyss we all fall into the same inkpot forming one color, only then can we come together as one My son.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I finally finished my card, here it is Cuddle up and Dream!

My husband's grandmother loved to quilt. She made quilts for each of our children when they were born. Some of those quilts are being used by our grandchildren! I always feel like I'm getting a hug from her when I use one of our quilts.

Sabrina, my heart goes out to you, sending hugs, prayers and love.
Reply With Quote Likes