Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I need glimmer mist?

Hi have been thinking about buying some glimmer mist in snowflake, but saw somewhere that your paper gets wet and warps from it unless you use watercolor paper. Do you have to use watercolor paper and if you have the glimmer mist, do you like it, and how "glimmery" is it? I know it is not expensive, but don't really know if I " need " it. Thanks for any info!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the G.M. I have several bottles of it. I usually use mine for backrounds. I just spray and then use my heat gun to dry then spray again then heat gun and so on until I get the tint I want. It does get nice and glimmery. The more you spray the darker it will get. Some times I use my brayer in between coats as well as that will give it a nice even color. I suggest buying a bottle and playing with it. I always use regular cardstock with mine. The paper will curl a bit but once it dries it is fine again. The heat can help with that as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 12:25 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

A really awesome technique I saw with these-spray some on a sponge, and sponge the edges of an image or card layer. The one I saw was torn around the image, and then the torn edges were sponged. It looked fantastic.

Also, I love the look of the clear one (don't remeber the name), sprayed all over the front of a whole card, right over the image. very shimmery!

my blog: inkerbel's inklings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 03:06 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have 2 bottles. I haven't had very good results with "my" technique. I will be in my dungeon all day. I'll give it another try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:47 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have 1 bottle but so far I don't like it at all!:(
I make a huge mess with it....YUCK!
How do you spray without getting everything around covered in glimmermist too?:confused:
Vronica;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:56 AM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurabelleView Post
A really awesome technique I saw with these-spray some on a sponge, and sponge the edges of an image or card layer. The one I saw was torn around the image, and then the torn edges were sponged. It looked fantastic.
This is a great idea... I'll have to try it! I haven't had much luck with my glimmer mist yet, but I only sprayed it a few times when it firs arrived. I'll have to dig it out again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love mine. I've heard you can spray it and then brayer over it to smooth it out. I like to mist mine about 8" away from the cardstock with a motion almost like I'm spraying pump hairspray. Not back & forth, just moving top to bottom.

Here's a sample with the irridescent gold (on the pretty in pink panels). I totally soaked them and then dried with my heat tool.
Bella da Ball Challenge #5 Sample by steubner at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by vronicaView Post
I have 1 bottle but so far I don't like it at all!:(
I make a huge mess with it....YUCK!
How do you spray without getting everything around covered in glimmermist too?:confused:
Vronica;)
I use an old tray that I spray my cardstock on. I use it to brayer as well. It wipes right up when I done and I do not a mess anywhere anywhere else
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I put my paper in the trash bag that sits next to me and spray in the bag, I keep the bottle high and get a fine mist. I love the snowflake color. It's blue in the bottle but sprays a fine shimmer but not really blue. I spray the paper I'm going to tape down so if it curls a little it doesn't matter. I do use a lot of tape-lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spray outside.... first I spray into the air and then after about a second or two, pull my project through the mist. This seems to let the larger "blobby" bits drop out of the finer mist before I pull my project through.

I will say, it also works great on sewn items too. I made a little primitive raggedy anne doll and she got misted too. Funnnnn! =)
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 10:14 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Default Glimmer Mist How-To's

Hi - My name is Kristi and I work for Tattered Angels - the makers of Glimmer Mist. My main focus is on helping our store owners. One of them sent us an e-mail about this website and all the questions about Glimmer Mist. We thought we'd answer some of your questions directly!

First off - give up the perfection!! (This comes from me - not from Wendy - the creator - who is definitely a perfectionist!) Even Wendy doesn't get a perfect spray every time. There will be some blops (is that a word?!). I think of them as adding "movement" to my page!

Second - we'll be posting our DVD on the front page of our store's website. The timing is determined by our webmaster :rolleyes:

Below is what we send to our stores to answer commonly asked Questions. Hopefully it will be helpful to you all too!

To help you enjoy this innovative new product, here are some helpful tips. Happy creating!

How to Use:

1. For a light, evenly misted look hold Glimmer Mist away from your project, and spray, such as you would when applying hairspray.
2. For a thicker, raindrop application hold Glimmer Mist closer to your project while spraying. Do not move the sprayer too much, or too fast.
3. For a pooling effect, which gives intense color, spray Glimmer Mist very closely and directly on your project.

You can let Glimmer Mist air dry or use a heating tool to speed up the drying process.

Please note that while Glimmer Mist is attractive when just using one color, layering multiple colors also adds a beautiful richness to your projects.

We have a blog spot, but can't post it here until I do at least 3 threads! I'll get on that...

Some of our Favorite Places to Use Glimmer Mist:

Dries instantly on wood
Looks fabulous on chipboard and paper
Sticks to metal and glass
Pools on plastic to create a stained glass effect
Makes your stickers shimmer
�Pops� your fabric or paper flowers
Adds a gorgeous sheen to lace, ribbon, twill and fabrics (will wash out!)

Glimmer Mist applications are limited only by your creativity!

Commonly Asked Questions

The sprayer dribbles:

When you spray, make sure your finger is not hanging over the front edge of the sprayer. When the Glimmer Mist disburses it will hit your finger and dribble back down onto the rim of the sprayer. The next time you shake it or tip it, it will dribble out. If your finger is pulled back the Glimmer Mist will spray out in the pattern it was intended to and as much won't go back into the cap.

When you push down on the sprayer some of it gets into the rim of the cap. Before you shake it the next time, pop the sprayer part off and tip out an excess.

The sprayer gets clogged:

To prevent it getting clogged - make sure you shake all the bottles of Glimmer Mist really well before you spray it. The Glimmer part settles as the bottom and if the bottle isn't shaken really well the sprayer will suck up too much glimmer for the sprayer to handle.

To clear out the sprayer - take the top part off and put canned air down by the hole. Spray the canned air. You can also put the canned air to the outside of the hole and spray it that way.

You don�t like the Spray Pattern:

You want a fine mist � Push the sprayer down quickly and move it across the surface of your project like you�re applying hairspray. You want to keep your hand moving quickly and evenly across your project. Bear in mind the nature of the product is that it may take you several tries to a completely even spray pattern. Practice spray before you do your final project.

You want a �splotchy� look � Push to sprayer down halfway while aiming at your project. Don�t move the sprayer too much or too fast.

The paper is curling:

Glimmer Mist is a water-based spray that can make lightweight mediums (like tags and paper) curl as it dries. There are a number of ways you can correct this:

1. Use a heat tool on both sides of your paper
2. Iron your paper
3. After it�s dry, place a heavy object on it for a few minutes

Will it stain my hands and/or clothes?

As with any arts and crafts project, messes happen. Glimmer Mist will come out of your clothes in almost all circumstances. It may take a couple of washings so make sure you check before you put it in the dryer. Glimmer Mist on your hands comes off best with shampoo � so once you�re out of the shower it should be gone! It will also come off with several washings from soap.

Will it fade in the sun?

Yes! Glimmer Mist will fade if left in the sun. You may be able to resist fading if you use a UV protective coating over your project.

Is Glimmer Mist water resistant?

No, Glimmer Mist is water based and does not use pigment dye. Therefore, it will run if exposed to moisture. If you�re planning on using Glimmer Mist in a humid environment (bathroom d�cor, for example) put a protective coating over it.

My stamped images get blurry after being sprayed:

There are two ways to use Glimmer Mist with stamped images. If you�re using archival ink, you can spray Glimmer Mist on top of your stamped image and it won�t run. If you don�t use archival ink, spray the Glimmer Mist first and stamp your image when it�s dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 10:19 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

Wink Of course you need this!

Quote:

Originally Posted by o'brienView Post
Hi have been thinking about buying some glimmer mist in snowflake, but saw somewhere that your paper gets wet and warps from it unless you use watercolor paper. Do you have to use watercolor paper and if you have the glimmer mist, do you like it, and how "glimmery" is it? I know it is not expensive, but don't really know if I " need " it. Thanks for any info!
Hi there - I actually work for the company that makes Glimmer Mist! I've posted some Glimmer Mist How-To's that address commonly asked questions. To answer you directly Glimmer Mist will make your cardstock and paper curl (it's waterbased). There are a couple of ways to handle it. You can let it air dry and it usually uncurls by itself. If you heat set it the uncurling happens faster. If it's still a little warped when it dries you can put in under a heavy book and leave it for a little while - it flattens it right out. Hope that helps! Kristi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 10:23 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Talking Names of the "clear ones!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurabelleView Post

Also, I love the look of the clear one (don't remeber the name), sprayed all over the front of a whole card, right over the image. very shimmery!
Hi - there are 3 Glimmer Mists that just add some Glimmer without adding color: Iridescent Gold (gold shimmer), Pearl (white shimmer), and Snowflake (a purple/blue rainbow shimmer).
Reply With Quote Likes