Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of doing a craft fair...

if you couldn't tell that from the polls I posted! There is one close to me, a church fair, on Nov. 17. After reading some older posts on craft fairs, I am completely overwhelmed. Some people do well with cards, which is pretty much all I've made; others never sell cards and do better with other things. The prices I think I see people charging are a lot less than I'm inclined to charge, and when I've sold cards to individuals they have thought I should be charging *more*. For example, my stepmom bought some Xmas cards and I told her I'd been charging $3, but she wanted to pay me $5, and now for those I would charge $4 (they were the 6.5"x5" size). If anyone has craft fair experience in the NW Boston suburban area I'd be especially curious to hear about it. I just don't know what to do - I'm afraid of repeating my recent yard sale experience, spending lots of time making stuff, especially if I decide to tackle lots of non-card projects, and then not selling anything.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #2  
Kookie Creator

Are you a SU demonstrator? Some ideas I have done for the fairs include:
stationary packets w/ cards, candles, single cards, gum flip cards (waterfall style), cocoa/tea packet cards, popcorn holders, sour cream container style w/ candy inside... the list is endless. I am a SU demonstrator so I also offer a Craft Fair special and do a drawing for free merchandise. It is such a great way to meet new clients. Best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2007, 06:15 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintwin1View Post
Are you a SU demonstrator? Some ideas I have done for the fairs include:
stationary packets w/ cards, candles, single cards, gum flip cards (waterfall style), cocoa/tea packet cards, popcorn holders, sour cream container style w/ candy inside... the list is endless. I am a SU demonstrator so I also offer a Craft Fair special and do a drawing for free merchandise. It is such a great way to meet new clients. Best of luck to you!
I'm not a demo - I've considered becoming a hobby demo off and on, lately mostly off. ;) Thanks for the great ideas, though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I do one craft sale a year in November. At the sale I do, people are really looking or inexpensive items. I make lots of items other than cards. What I don't sell, I give away as gifts at Christmas or throughout the year. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 03:01 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

[QUOTE=twyant;7230495]I do one craft sale a year in November. At the sale I do, people are really looking for inexpensive items. I make lots of items other than cards. QUOTE]

That's kinda what I'm realizing... I think I'll have to focus on things that are easy, which I guess helps since I won't have to charge much for them! I'm thinking of focusing on cards/card sets, coasters, simple goody bags, and maybe one other thing... I'm still sorting it out in my head. :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with twyant, people are looking for inexpensive items. I sell my cards for $2.50 ea. or 5 for $10.00. I have always heard the same thing you have " you could sell your cards for more" but at this price I sell alot of cards. Since I love making them, it works for me. I am sure I could sell them at a higher price but then wouldn't have the excuse to make so many. I usually have about 350 cards to start with and do two craft fairs. I come home with about 100 which I use for gifts and to send out myself.

Lynn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 06:56 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have heard about some do sell many cards and others have sucess selling many other things. Customers usually look for "inexpensive".

Gifttags can be inexpensive to make...

Craft Shows are inexpensive-usually about $20+ for a table. (I did a Bridal Show once--it was a FLOP...and COST A LOT too!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a friend that lives in boston and makes cards for the girls at work and I know she charges about 4-5 for her cards but they aren't stamped cards, they are very embellished. but I could not get that for most of my cards.
hth
Julie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

The price you can get for cards & items is really dependent on the area you live in. In Boston, it would make sense to me that prices are going to be higher than you'd find in a country/rural location. You should judge accordingly to the prices in your area...and also price by the cost of materials and time invested to complete an item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've found that you really can't charge for your time -- most folks won't pay what that's worth! If you're looking for a quick, inexpensive card I recommend the Simply Scrappin' kits and one of the various templates posted here on SCS for getting anywhere from 40-60 cards from one. I had two of the old Island Blossoms kits and followed one of the 60-card templates. They're the most popular among my flea market customers!

There have been OODLES of threads posted about craft fairs each fall, so you should be able to glean quite a bit of great advice from those past discussions. Keep in mind, though, as a previous poster pointed out, that "results may vary" quite a bit depending on where you live, whether it's a 100% handmade items craft show or a flea market with a mix of manufactured stuff and hand crafts, and the demographics of your customers. Good luck to you! I also recommend getting a partner or two to split the space with you, not only to save money since booth fees can easily run up to $50 or more for popular shows, but also so you can take a potty or snack break and not have to rely on your fellow vendors to keep a close eye on your stuff while you're gone!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree that it's better to price on the low side. When I have sold my cards, I've made them more simply, fewer embellishments, cheaper supplies, etc. I know the difference, but I don't think the average consumer of handmade cards would think, "This would have been nicer if she had used BasicGrey paper, a few more mats, heat embossing, and a row of brads down the side." I tried to make nice looking cards, but that didn't cost me a fortune or take me a long time to make. When I make custom cards, I make them really nice but I get paid what they're worth.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2007, 07:30 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

One of my stamping buddies has done a few craft/art fairs in the area you're talking about and has not experienced success with her cards. Ditto for the cards she has had placed in local boutiques and shops. I believe she is pricing her cards in the $4-5 range.

However, I believe the lack of sales is less about the market than the suitability of her product for the audience. With the quality and creativity of the faux-handmade cards you can get at Hallmark or Target for just $3-4, potential customers will expect to buy work that is just as cute, trendy, and well-crafted. Since many are crafty themselves, they probably won't buy something that they think they could recreate with very little time or cost. Your cards don't have to be complex or costly, but to sell well, they should probably look like they do or offer something unique in terms of composition and artistry.

I don't mean any of that to sound negative, just realistic. I've been considering trying this myself so I believe success is possible at craft fairs here. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes