Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2004, 05:53 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailed (and LONG) Craft Show Results

I just thought I’d share the results of my FIRST (and maybe last???) craft show experience. I first want to say thank you for all of the feedback, answers, and encouragement to all of my requests prior to the show—I know I would have been unprepared if I had not had all of your help.

Now for all of the little details:

The show was a one day bazaar with 169 vendors, and had close to 3000 paid people through the door ($1 admission). This is critical to know about your show, because if there are no people to buy, you won’t sell! I had a great location—right inside the gym door where everyone who came in the door could see my display—which is pictured in my user gallery if you are curious to see what I used to show my wares. The following are the products I had, the price I charged, and the amounts I sold:

205 Individual Cards at $2 each—sold 41 = $82
16 sets of 4 tiles at $15 a set—sold 7 = $135
32 sets Christmas Color Me Notes (5 cards with crayons) at $5 a set—sold 5 = $25
10 sets of Christmas Paint Me Notes (5 cards with a paint set) at $5 a set—sold 4 = $20
19 sets of Every Day Color Me Notes (5 cards with crayons) at $5 a set—sold 3 = $15
29 sets of 4 Christmas Cards at $6 a set—sold 5 = $30
30 sets of 4 other occasion cards at $6 a set—sold 4 = $24
25 sets of 8 monogrammed cards at $12 a set—sold 0 = $0
26 packages of 10 Christmas tags at $3—sold 6 = $18
18 packages of Snowman Soup at $1—sold 18 = $18

Total In = $367

Now, $367 sounds pretty good until you take into account the following:
$50 for the bazaar fee
$26 for the display boards
$50 for the baskets, table cloth, & table skirt
$50 for the tiles
So, subtracting those hard costs, I am now left with: $191.
I have not even begun to calculate the costs of the mono adhesive, the gable boxes, the card stock, the paper envelopes, the clear envelopes and cellophane bags that I used for the individual cards, and my time (not to mention, the 3 or 4 stamps sets I HAD to have to make certain projects, like Crayon Christmas, etc…). In the end, I probably have 0 profits, but since so much of the stuff I used I already owned, it was hard for me to keep complete costs…Yes, I know I should be better at this!

I should have set clearer goals for myself at the beginning of this process, so I would feel a better sense of accomplishment at this point. One of the reasons I don’t feel like it was a success, is that I came home with SO much stuff! I could do another craft show this weekend with the amount I have ready—of course, being so new at this, I don’t know of any and am sure it would be too late to sign up for one if I did! Actually, my craft show goal was to make enough money to meet this 4th quarter minimum without doing a workshop—I was going to wait until January 1st, and turn in a $400 dollar order for stuff I wanted in order to maximize SAB benefits, and earn the hostess set. Obviously, I didn’t quite make that amount. I am still considering what to do with regards to earning another $200. I have been a demonstrator for almost 5 years, and have just recently stopped doing workshops with the birth of a 3rd child. I am trying to find other avenues to earn money to maintain my demonstrator status and actually have time to stamp. This craft show met the goal of actually creating and stamping—I had so much fun coming up with ideas! So that was good…

In closing, as to what might be the longest post ever, here are a few lessons learned as to what might have sold better:
1) More colored tile coasters—all of my colored ones sold; my black and white ones did not.
2) Pre-packaged teacher gifts in gable boxes (rather than just decorated gable boxes)
3) More Snowman Soup!

I apologize for being so long winded and hope that this helps someone out there get ready for a craft show. Please post any questions you may have, and I will try to answer to the best of my ability!

Kelle
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:02 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

I found your information to be very informative. I've considered doing craft shows but really didn't have much of an idea as to what to expect. I am not a demonstrator but thought it might be fun to give it a try.

Thanks for all your info. I will keep it handy if and when I decide to do them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:04 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

I am not a demo but I think you did pretty good, most people that I have heard of have sales about like you did at a craft fair. The only other thing I can think of is that you did have a ton of inventory so it would have been hard to sale all of it. Try to look at it like you are prepared for next time, check your local papers or with churches in your area, I am sure there are craft fairs into December that you could be a part of. You will already be prepared so it will be less work for you next time...keep your chin up

I now have a gallery!! www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/miss_missy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:09 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I also did my first craft fair this weekend and had less than stellar results. The problem was the weather - it was TOO GOOD! A warm, sunny Saturday in November is rare in the Chicago area, so everyone chose outdoor activities over an indoor craft fair, I guess. There was only 1/3 the ususal attendance.

I brought about $500 in merchandise (cards, gift bags and tags, lots of gift-y things) and sold $90, minus $30 for the table. Probably a couple hundred dollars for supplies (it's really hard to keep track) and a couple hundred hours of my time also invested.

Well, it was fun, and I'm donating most of the unsold cards to Monica's cards for troops. We'll just hope for a cold, rainy Saturday next year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:10 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Kelle, I know it's easy to get discouraged, but try to look at it in a more positive light.....some of the costs you mentioned, baskets, display boards, etc., are one-time costs. If/as you continue to do shows, the cost of those items is spread out over more shows, thus bringing the cost per show down. The same is true for the stamp sets you bought.

I think you did an awesome job for a first timer! At least you made money! Did you have a chance to wander the show and see what other vendors were doing? Did you get a chance to talk to other vendors after the show for their impressions of the show?

Seems to me you learned some valuable lessons for future shows and didn't lose your shirt at it! Many folks aren't nearly as lucky! I have heard that anytime you sell out of something chances are you underpriced....while that may or may not be true, it's something to think about!

Hang in there, Kelle! You really did do great!!

Hugs,
Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:13 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for sharing all of that info. I have been asked to do a couple of craft fairs but I won't because it is so much hard work and non crafters don't know or appreciate how much you put into it. Maybe you could take all of the things you have left and give them as Christmas gifts?? It sounds like you did pretty well compared to the craft shows we have around here.

Joy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:19 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I can understand your pain. This past Sat I did a Stamping demonstration for the community ed department. i had a blast and so did the people but I was really hoping for some orders or a booking but no luck. But I did meet a few new stampers. So hopefully in the long run it will work in my favor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:21 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Kelle, I used to do boutiques, craft shows, and had booths in craft stores. I didn't sell hand-stamped items but I sold fabric folk dolls, ornaments, etc. It's a tough, tough business. I stopped doing it because it was such a fickle business. You never knew from one show to the next what would be your big sellers. Pricing is always tough too. I always came home with more inventory than I wanted to. It's tough to predict what you'll need. I got out of the business because I got sick of hauling my inventory back and forth with not enough sales to show for it.

That's one of the reasons why I became a Stampin' Up! demonstrator. I can still indulge my creative side but instead of making 50 of the same project up and not having it sell, I can teach people how to make the items and see the pleasure it brings to their lives.

The bottom line is that I did the craft business because I enjoyed making the folk dolls. When I got burnt out and it wasn't fun anymore I knew it was time to get out. It sounds to me like you had a very successful show. You said you enjoyed creating the items too. That's what it is all about. There are plenty of craft shows around at this time of year. Check your local community newspaper. There may be ads looking for crafters in it.

It sounds like you will have lots of Christmas presents now too from your left overs!

Kathleen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:51 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

I agree with Msbestyz that some of those costs are a one time investment which you will have for next time and you still have plenty of inventory. I would suggest trying a couple of more times before you give up. I think you did really well for the first time, especially since you did not know what to expect. Don't give up too soon though. Keep your chin up and try to find another craft show soon and try again. And just think if you made sure that when you used the angle policy stamp you included your email on it then you may get even more customers from this. Since you did sell quite a few items. And with the fact that it was only a 1 day show that makes a difference as well. an extra day makes a differnce sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 06:57 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Here is a question.....

Well I don't know if you can do this since you are a demo...

My demo is doing 2 vendor fairs and asked if I wanted to do anything and she could sell them on my behalf

I am doing some
glass ornaments
glass marble magnets
ceramic tile magnets
Kids Color-it Card sets
tumbled tile coasters
maybe a few picture frames

I am also going to make up a little business card (I am not a demo) with my name and what I can do so if someone sees something but they want a different color or want 10 of the same thing they can just give me a call or drop me an e-mail and I can do it.

I am sticking with things that if they don't sell I will just give as gifts - if they sell I will just make more to give as gifts.

As a demo can you have an additional business card with a listing of different things you do i.e.
Kids color in cards
monogrammed cards
Tiles
etc....

Then you could just bring a few to a craft fair to sell and keep an example of one thing back...

I know I have gone to craft fairs and ordered something handcrafted from a vendor if I wanted something in a different color or shape or they had run out of what they had (they had a sample for show). Most of the time they were happy to obilge....and would drop it off to my house. Most of the time they ask for 1/2 as a deposit and 1/2 when they deliver it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 07:39 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Default craft fair experience---LONG

I was asked to participate in a holiday Bazaar 2 years ago by my MOPS group. We had several meetings prior to it and each decided what we would sell at our table/booth. I chose to make cards and picture frames. We predicted that we would have about 1000 people in attendance. It wa a nightmare. I prestamped 25 of our large SU frames, 400 cards and a few misc. other items. I spent a little over a month putting everything together and getting it all stamped and priced. My prices were $2 a card or 6 for $10. My frames were priced between $9 and $15 dollars. I even was customizing them if wanted. From that event, sitting for over 8 hours not counting the 2 hours setting up and cleaning up, I sold $40 worth of stuff and took orders with deposits for 2 frames from members of my MOPS group that then decided to cancel the frame orders since she didn't make any money either. We only had about 50 people through. It was a joke. But I didn't really want to bow out of the other events in the works. I accepted an invitation a month or so later to "demonstrate" my SU services at a womens ministry breakfast. There was about 50 women and each were stampers or scrapbookers. I wound up with about $70 in orders from that, no bookings. Disappointed again, I really had doubts for my final "obligation." We had a long planned "crop for the cure" event in the works. I was asked if I would donate raffle items, I chose to donate the frames and some cards from the original bazaar. I was told that no vendors were going to be able to do any demonstrations at all as to not add any Pressure to buy on the women there. I gave out my cards with the raffle items as well as some gift certificates and such. After 5 months of meetings and being on the planning committee for this, I thought all was perfect, and then I arrived the morning of the crop and almost died!!!!

When I arrived in the auditorium that morning, I saw a banner with all of our "donators" and there were several companies listed. Under Stampin Up, I noticed 3 names, mine and 2 others. It seems the others were not donators, but vendors that were going to be doing live workshops during the crop event. When I saw that, I went straight to the person who was in charge and asked what was going on, as it had not been mentioned the night before during our set up. Turns out, it was a couple of her friends that she had asked to teach workshops there. I was stunned. I reminded her of our "group decision" not to allow this and she said she made an executive decision to allow this. So, I was now out the donated items, as well as any potential customers, even two of my recruits that was on the fence since they could not afford the starter kit at that time wound up signing under those women since they offered to pay them back for half of their starter kit if they signed that day. That was the last event that I did for that group.

I am not saying all vendor/craft shows are bad, but in my experience, 0 for 3 is not a good record.

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 07:40 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Thank you all, again, for your encouragement not to give up, to continue to do shows, etc. Your advice is well founded and very positive. I should say that I am not all that disappointed in the results--I just had very high expectations! (A perfectionist at heart--you know, the type that success would mean I would sell everything!!!) I did have the mind set that any left over stuff would become Christmas gifts, and I am thinking about having my own open house (or maybe trying to pair it with a friend who sells jewelry and Tastefully Simple...)

Thank you again for all of your feedback, and I hope that the details of my experience helps others (as sometimes the details are hard to come by!).

Take care,
Kelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 11:08 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellestamps
I am thinking about having my own open house (or maybe trying to pair it with a friend who sells jewelry and Tastefully Simple

I think this is an awesome idea. You could advertise in the paper, at craft stores, etc...and have it in your own home! Or if the weather permits, on your front lawn!
You've given me a great idea. Now, does anyone know if there are "laws" to this kind of craft fair? LOL

Marjori Miller

Come stamp with me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for your post! I'm doing a craft show this weekend...actually my friend is selling my stuff for me since I'm on bedrest....and I was curious of what to expect....this will be my first craft show ever. How much did your Snowman soup cost to make? Did you do it in the cello bags with a cardstock topper? Thanks again for the awesome info...Emily
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks for your post! I'm doing a craft show this weekend...actually my friend is selling my stuff for me since I'm on bedrest....and I was curious of what to expect....this will be my first craft show ever. How much did your Snowman soup cost to make? Did you do it in the cello bags with a cardstock topper? Thanks again for the awesome info...Emily
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 12:38 PM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default craft show

Thank yo for sharing your experience in detail. I am working on some things for a holiday open house some friends & I are going to do in Dec. I agree w/ the one who said to have an open house in your own home. If you didn't want to pay for adv. in the papers, you could make up lots of flyers to put around in major places.
Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 12:44 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Thanks for your info. I too am getting ready to do a craft fair. I love doing them but this is my first time setting up a booth to actually sell items I've made rather than just setting up to get names. My biggest stress is how many of each and what to sell. I don't want to make too many but I guess i can store it and do another one.
Again, thanks for your info. I think you did a great job and agree you should definitely try another one. Especially with all that inventory.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 12:48 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Kelle

Have you thought of having a Bazaar in your home? I did every year for about 4 years. I would even invite other friends who did crafty things. We would gut out my livingroom furniture and set up tables with table cloths. I would simmer cinnamon sticks with cloves and we would post signs all over town. I never charged an admission, it was open to all. I made flyers to hand out to friends, coworkers and my sons team mates parents etc. You might try it. BEST of all it's free to you and you'll at least make some more sales. I know around here, lots of friends LOVE doing the craft shows. Good Luck and don't give up! You can also save your product for next year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

The joy of the craft show. I don't sell cards, I'm not a demo and don't have the supplies to make that many cards! I do sell handmade handbags that are unusual and fun. I have done a few sales and have done really well, or not sold a thing. I call it a crap shoot! Hopefully I'll hit this weekend...my last effort before the holidays! But I totally understand when you have put a ton of effort into your products and you don't sell, sell, sell!

Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 01:28 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I have done several craft fairs over the last two years. My last one was in April and I've decided it would be my last. I make handcrafted soaps, lotions and creams from 100% natural ingredients. My goal was to sell a quality product at a fair price. A big part of my cost is the bottles and jars, and I was able to find a good, fairly inexpensive internet source. I could sell my product at a price to recover these costs, but it takes me at least a month to make and package enough of my product for a show. If I charged what my time was worth, nobody would be able to afford my product. And, by the time the show arrives, I am exhausted.

But, I can suggest a good book to read: Craft and Craft Shows How to Make Money by Philip Kadubec. It is a no nonsense look at a very hard way to make money, let alone a living.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2004, 02:37 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

First I must say I believe you are a real Enterprenuer or however you spell it. You have no idea how organized and methodical you are. Not only that you were a success for several reasons:

1. Everything was organized
2. Very well presented - I looked at your booth
3. You studied the outcome and
4. You gave very objective and constructive criticism.

Last, it sounds to me like you have tiles that can be salvaged to sell again. You have gifts to give for your children's activities and,

I think you are going to be a success. I am being sincere. I have thought about doing what you are doing and I think you have shown me I should try. That was only your first attmept. I say you were a

SUCCESS!!

Job well done. I want to try :lol:

Shirley
Shirley in NC - SCS #756

Reply With Quote Likes