Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #1  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue
Default I wish I art journaled...

I want to, and just haven't made the time yet. But I'm subscribed to this lady - I find her videos mesmerizing.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I like this - but now you can't see the words she stamped out.

I so want to art journal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #3  

I know - they become just designs in the background. Here's a clearer pic:

One of the things I like about this journal in particular is that she cuts the art out and adheres it to the pages. I think that's more my style than painting directly in the book, because I'm a Virgo - haha! I like things a little neater, and by things, I mean my art, not my laundry, my desk or my house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep making excuses why I haven't yet started art journaling... I love watching videos with people creating pages of beautiful colors and textures and end up feeling overwhelmed by it all. I have to let go of my perfectionism to get started... in other words, I need to get messy! One of the things I HATE most is thinking that I am waisting stuff. Art supplies are expensive to me.... which makes me think that one of the reasons why I might enjoy art journaling is because I can use anything, like cut-outs from magazines, or cheap acrylic paint... I want to think that I am just heating up the engines.

Last edited by Candida; 04-04-2014 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #5  

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
I keep making excuses why I haven't yet started art journaling... I love watching videos with people creating pages of beautiful colors and textures and end up feeling overwhelmed by it all. I have to let go of my perfectionism to get started... in other words, I need to get messy! One of the things I HATE most is thinking that I am waisting stuff. Art supplies are expensive to me.... which makes me think that one of the reasons why I might enjoy art journaling is because I can use anything, like cut-outs from magazines, or cheap acrylic paint... I want to think that I am just heating up the engines.

Exactly - I love that as well - the collage whatever aspect - I get SO many catalogs. Surely that's a motivation!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2014, 03:11 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Lydia, have you seen the art journals of Sandra van den Bogaard? Her art journals are inspired by Teesha Moore, which I love. Here is a video you might like to see, because she uses lots of cut outs from magazines. A painted background, a good black pen and a white marker is all you need. This is on my list, next to gelli printing...next to mixed messy media... next to remains-of-the-day-journal.... next to watercoloring botanical prints...

This is her blog: http://sanartydesigns.blogspot.com.br/

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 04-05-2014 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: added embed code
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #7  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

my art journal so far consists of pages made while watching inspiring technique videos. I have made minimal pages on my own. Still in the hand holding phase
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 05:27 AM   #8  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

well looking back in my art journals I guess that is not really true. I just feel like I am always using videos for inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #9  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am another 'art journaler wanna be'.

This thread has given me the courage to jump in and give art journaling a try. I may not post anything on SCS for a while (anticipating that I have a big learning curve and who knows what my first attempts will look like LOL.........).

To get started I just ordered a few Cottonwood Arts coldpress mixed media notebooks from Dick Blick and I am going to start my first art journal page as soon as I complete projects for a few upcoming SCS swaps that I've joined that are due over the next few months.

I do already know that I am going to be a very wet, messy mixed media art journaler (love inks and paints), so the Cottonwood notebooks seemed tough enough to stand up to my style. I recently bought a gallon of pouring medium so I can't wait to see what kind of messes I can make with that stuff................

I'm jazzed !

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 04-05-2014 at 08:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #10  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I am trying t get several with different spines to see what I like to work with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #11  

Quote:

Lydia, have you seen the art journals of Sandra van den Bogaard? Her art journals are inspired by Teesha Moore, which I love. Here is a video you might like to see, because she uses lots of cut outs from magazines. A painted background, a good black pen and a white marker is all you need. This is on my list, next to gelli printing...next to mixed messy media... next to remains-of-the-day-journal.... next to watercoloring botanical prints...

This is her blog: SanARTyDesigns

O
M
G

I love this!!!!! And do you know how many magazines are on my coffee table????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
I am another 'art journaler wanna be'.

This thread has given me the courage to jump in and give art journaling a try. I may not post anything on SCS for a while (anticipating that I have a big learning curve and who knows what my first attempts will look like LOL.........).

To get started I just ordered a few Cottonwood Arts coldpress mixed media notebooks from Dick Blick and I am going to start my first art journal page as soon as I complete projects for a few upcoming SCS swaps that I've joined that are due over the next few months.

I do already know that I am going to be a very wet, messy mixed media art journaler (love inks and paints), so the Cottonwood notebooks seemed tough enough to stand up to my style. I recently bought a gallon of pouring medium so I can't wait to see what kind of messes I can make with that stuff................

I'm jazzed !
Oh - do post! We even have a gallery for art journal pages!
Anything but a card >>Books, Handmade Albums and Journals>>Art Journal Pages. I don't do it myself, but I do love seeing what people upload.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 AM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Oh - do post!
I promise. I will post. Eventually. :shock:

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 04-06-2014 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

I log in tonight and see Mixed Media category. I was so excited and so dang happy. That is my biggest love is mixed media and art journaling. I have been doing both for years. I love to art journal. I think it's an obsession.

The things I love about art journaling the most are using inexpensive art supplies to create beautiful pages. I am like you Candida I hate wasting expensive art supplies.

I love cutting up magazines. You know those people who hoard magazines and have a large stack in their house? That's me. I love my high end fashion magazines. I love go through them and find new treasures to cut out.

Everyone throw out the fear of art journaling. I read a great quote tonight "Better to write for yourself and have no public than to write for the public and have no self -Cyril Connoly" That applies to art journaling too.

My favorite art journaler is JenniBelle- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLc...xRVN-Bi7cll8MA She also has a ning site too she teaches art journaling classes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I log in tonight and see Mixed Media category. I was so excited and so dang happy. That is my biggest love is mixed media and art journaling. I have been doing both for years. I love to art journal. I think it's an obsession.

The things I love about art journaling the most are using inexpensive art supplies to create beautiful pages. I am like you Candida I hate wasting expensive art supplies.

I love cutting up magazines. You know those people who hoard magazines and have a large stack in their house? That's me. I love my high end fashion magazines. I love go through them and find new treasures to cut out.

Everyone throw out the fear of art journaling. I read a great quote tonight "Better to write for yourself and have no public than to write for the public and have no self -Cyril Connoly" That applies to art journaling too.

My favorite art journaler is JenniBelle- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLc...xRVN-Bi7cll8MA She also has a ning site too she teaches art journaling classes.
Thanks for the link. Looks cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I should have never clicked on this link because now I am hooked! Lol I had never heard of this before. It looks amazing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I want to see the pile of magazines on Lydia's table
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #18  

Quote:

Originally Posted by 329shanaView Post
I should have never clicked on this link because now I am hooked! Lol I had never heard of this before. It looks amazing!!!
How AWESOME!! It is amazing.......and you are on the threshold of an incredible journey.

Just hold onto your seat, cuz you are gonna be blown away when you see all that there is to mixed media...........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

OH my - I just watched that video - awesome~~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Ohmyyyyyyyyyy............

The cover for my new book! - ponderings
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #21  

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post

Oh this is great - thanks for the 'heads up' - can't wait for it to come out.

I recently purchased Dina's book Art Journal Freedom and I think it is outstanding. Its description is 'how to journal creatively with color & composition' which are both things that are challenges for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

My love for art journaling started when I watched someone make their cover - I was hooked! I usually try to find a theme for my page, but sometimes it's just a place to vent my feelings. I do everything on the page even put 3D flowers. I just make sure I glue a few pages together so it's not so thick. Right now I just have a sketch book I grabbed at Michaels, but I'm going to grab either the Dylusional or another Mixed Media journal. I love it so much my daughter's gotten hooked and the two of us craft together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post

Big Congratulations! I am so excited for you. I can't wait to read it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 03:21 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

LOVE that cover!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've just started art journaling, and normally I'm very careful and precise (I'm a bit of a perfectionist), so I'm using it to give myself permission to play, and be messy, and if I don't like something, just slap a new layer of colour over it! I haven't found my own style yet, but it's been fun trying to discover it.

I just uploaded a few of my pages to Art Journal Pages gallery. If anyone has any suggestions on how to branch out even further, I'd love it hear them!

Oh, and thanks for all the links, everyone! I think I'll be watching a few videos this afternoon. ;)

Pip
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:34 AM   #26  

Quote:

Originally Posted by pippinmctaggartView Post
I've just started art journaling, and normally I'm very careful and precise (I'm a bit of a perfectionist), so I'm using it to give myself permission to play, and be messy, and if I don't like something, just slap a new layer of colour over it! I haven't found my own style yet, but it's been fun trying to discover it.

I just uploaded a few of my pages to Art Journal Pages gallery. If anyone has any suggestions on how to branch out even further, I'd love it hear them!

Oh, and thanks for all the links, everyone! I think I'll be watching a few videos this afternoon. ;)

Pip

OMG these are amazing!!! I'll be featuring that floral doodle on our Splitcoast FB page - incredible! What watercolor medium are you using? Your color is so intense!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I love it when people confuse me with Dina Wakley... but the book is her work, not mine!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #28  
Cardstock Collector

This is so ironic that you posted this because I feel the same way! I have numerous journals and all of the supplies but I can't seem to pull the trigger. I think a big part of my problem is that I have never been a person to keep a diary or post my every move on Facebook but I like the look of words in other people's journals. Today I received a link from a lady I follow and she is talking about this exact thing. She has some great ideas for getting words in your journal in alternate ways. Hope you enjoy!

I haven't posted the required minimum on this forum to include a link to the video so just try looking for this.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 04-09-2014 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: added video
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
OMG these are amazing!!! I'll be featuring that floral doodle on our Splitcoast FB page - incredible! What watercolor medium are you using? Your color is so intense!
Wow, thank you so much!! I actually used 3 different watercolour sets on this, one is an old Reeves pan set, one is a new budget Royal & Langnickel set, and the last one is a nameless set in a plastic case that I've had for at least 30 years. :smile: I just kept painting layer upon layer until it was nice and bright.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #30  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindykl2006View Post
This is so ironic that you posted this because I feel the same way! I have numerous journals and all of the supplies but I can't seem to pull the trigger. I think a big part of my problem is that I have never been a person to keep a diary or post my every move on Facebook but I like the look of words in other people's journals. Today I received a link from a lady I follow and she is talking about this exact thing. She has some great ideas for getting words in your journal in alternate ways. Hope you enjoy!

I haven't posted the required minimum on this forum to include a link to the video so just try looking for this.

I added the video for you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Here's my art journal cover! I love how it came out!

http://lalacraftworld.files.wordpres...pg?w=308&h=390

I agree it's tough to start, but you can do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #32  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

how about a sticky just for video links that have inspired us, no chatter?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #33  
Swap Moderator
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I want to, and just haven't made the time yet. But I'm subscribed to this lady - I find her videos mesmerizing.

Isn't she wonderful! And she gets so much done is so few minutes
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 AM   #34  

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

Love her videos!
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 AM   #35  
Swap Moderator
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Swapper of the Month - November 2013

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinalalaView Post
Here's my art journal cover! I love how it came out!

http://lalacraftworld.files.wordpres...pg?w=308&h=390

I agree it's tough to start, but you can do it.

Very nice!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #36  

Here is an art journal I need more time in the day to do! It is AWESOME, just like all of her stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Received 208 Likes on 118 Posts

Love all the fab ideas for art journals! Lots of great inspiration here; just need to get started! Thanks for sharing the videos and pictures!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2014, 08:54 PM   #38  

Quote:

Originally Posted by holtzfanView Post
And expensive.

Shhh.... don't say that out loud!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2014, 06:35 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

love that video!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the idea of pasting pieces onto the pages. I might be messy, but I must have a way to know the finished piece before it's all glued in place. lol

Thanks for the video links!

I have just started going throughThe Art of Whimsical Lettering book in hopes of getting the confidence to write by hand directly into a journal.

Among a few nice ideas it has 20 techniques to try in a lettering journal. The first one is to get out all your markers, pencils and writing utensils and fill pages in a journal. Now that is something I can do!
Reply With Quote Likes