Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:25 AM   #121  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,393 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Just watched the magpies video, how brilliant. Thanks Candida. I wish you hadn't mentioned the accent though as I spent the whole time trying to work out where she could be from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #122  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing, right? I still haven't seen all of here videos but she has given already so many great tips. And she is a lovely lady, isn't she?

Kathy, I love how she pulls off the ghost print with a second layer of paint over the dried first layer. Check her other videos, she does this a lot.

Jan, you must have missed it, because at the beginning of the video she mentions UK. I watch so many BBC shows that I figured that one easily!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #123  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I realised she was from the UK, as I am, but I was trying to guess which region her accent was from, I`m guessing the south, I`m from the Midlands myself, good old Robin Hood Country.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 05:59 AM   #124  
Stazon Splitcoast

Candida, are you a football fan? I hope so as I just noticed your location, it must be wall to wall football over there, I think Brazil went through the other night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 06:15 AM   #125  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jan, I thought you were in Spain!

Yes, I am watching the games, but I'm not a football fan. I just like all the buzz around the World Cup games. Tomorrow I will nibble on what was left of my nails from Brazil's last game! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 06:23 AM   #126  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well I'll be darned, that was so cool.

I kept wondering what the big deal was with lining back up exactly at the beginning, now I know. Ya'll are gonna convince me to get one of these plates yet.

Last edited by stampin stacy; 07-04-2014 at 05:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 07:32 AM   #127  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
Don't miss this video, seriously, it is awesome [and I love the British accent!].

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-OWDfFXXeRM?list=PLmytW2NIfA_aP5LzcbLtcqVcaK9qzaDxT" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

She shows other 5 videos with gelli plate techniques.
Oh my goodness! Amazing! I watched four of them! Thank you!

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 07-03-2014 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #128  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome video!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2014, 04:52 AM   #129  
Matboard Maniac

subscribe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #130  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I haven't been reading this thread because of all the mixed media techniques Gelli printing wasn't one I wanted to dive into. I have done Gelli printing when I was a little girl. My Father taught me monoprinting. We made the plates. I had so much fun.

The other night I was surfing. I saw the prettiest Gelli printing techniques when I was studying this ladies masks she made. I told my hubby "Oooh, this is so pretty." My hubby said to me "You need a Gelli plate." My DH theme for my birthday next month is things he thinks I need but I don't think I need.

I am getting a Gelli plate. I am excited about it now watching all the You Tube videos, Pinterest and this thread. This is my third present that I am getting excited about it. Enabling bad hubbies, lol.

Lydia I agree about the smell making your own plates. I am a frugal girl but not when it comes to smells. I will pay to avoid bad smells.

Does anyone know if Michaels has the plates in yet? I don't live near Michael's any more. I will make a trip up there with a coupon. Have you all seen them at Hobby Lobby yet?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2014, 06:00 AM   #131  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

They aren't in my Michaels yet. I had a friend who ordered me one from simonsaysstamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #132  
Glitter Guru

I ordered the new smaller size plates from Ellen Hutson when she had her last sale. I bought the 8x10 plate at my local LSS. Ellen Hutson carries all the sizes of plates including the round plate.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #133  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I just got the 6" x 6" plate today!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 12:13 AM   #134  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Thank you muscrat & ceramicat for letting me know who has them in stock. I am going to go through my favorite scrapbook store too since Michaels doesn't have them in yet. I don't know why I am surprised they don't. I know my Michaels store gets new things in two years after it was at CHA. I am not joking.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 03:23 AM   #135  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I just got the 6" x 6" plate today!
I have the 6x6 plate too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 06:02 AM   #136  
Stazon Splitcoast

Im just researching and wanting to get started. Mainly a card maker. Which size Gelli plate do you recommend ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #137  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post
Im just researching and wanting to get started. Mainly a card maker. Which size Gelli plate do you recommend ?

I started with the 8x10 - you can really get great prints to use on your cards and use larger stencils with it - I think it's a fun one to start with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #138  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandidaView Post
Don't miss this video, seriously, it is awesome [and I love the British accent!].
She is WONDERFUL!!! She was making me laugh and her magpie print is out of this world!!! I'm off to watch her other videos. Thanks so much for the introduction to this wonderful artist and really funny person - and I loved that she got paint on her shirt and that the gelli plate was moving around on her table at the beginning of the video - so human !!!!!!!!! And great tips, too, about the same size paper and marking the top on both papers......

I just went out to Clarity Stamps website - so far I've only looked at the stencils but I want a whole bunch :shock: oh nooooooooooo LOL

Some enabling heeheehee......
http://www.claritystamp.co.uk/Clarity-Stencils

Oh, and I love her stamps, too....

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 07-13-2014 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #139  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I started with the 8x10 - you can really get great prints to use on your cards and use larger stencils with it - I think it's a fun one to start with.
I started with the 8x10 also. I have a number of large stencils and they work well on it. I like that I don't have to cut my paper down for the 8x10.

― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 04:31 PM   #140  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was thinking 8x10 would work best for cards. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #141  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by amysingsView Post
I started with the 8x10 and played with it once. I wished it was 8 1/2 x 11 so I could cover a whole sheet of paper that I could then cut to 4 1/4 x 5 1/2. When Ellen Hutton had her 20% off sale over the 4th of July weekend I bought the 5x7 size so it will cover an A2 size plus I saw a video where someone used the smaller size to stamp in their art journal by attaching the gelli plate to an acrylic block. This weekend I showed 3 friends how to use the 8x10 gelli plate. The funny thing was that they didn't want to play with it themselves...they want to watch me play with it with my stencils! They found that more fascinating! LOL! When I arrived home today from my stamping weekend the package was here with my new 5x7 gelli plate. :-D Now I can have two gelli plates going at once! :-D The 5x7 will be easier to handle to stamp various prints in my art journal. That will be fun to play with!

The 8 x 10 size prints can be cut to nice sizes that can be layered on A2 card bases. I just hate for there to be all that white space left around the edges of an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper that could have been filled with gelli plate/acrylic paint goodness! Of course, now that I think about it I could paint acrylic paint to cover up those white edges...hmmmm...something to experiment with....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #142  
Rubber Obsessor

I've lost track of this thread. Just want to make a few quick comments.

muscrat: you're doing great! There is a bit of a learning curve regarding how much paint to use and what types work best for what you want to do. The Gelli Arts people are coming out with a book soon. I looked at the preview on Amazon, and the book said any acrylic paints would work with the gelli plate.

You said you are having some trouble with the paints drying quickly. You could try the Golden Open acrylics, but you may have to order them online. I'm not sure if they're available at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or JoAnn Fabric. A few years ago, I bought a small bottle of Liquitex brand glazing medium in Hobby Lobby's fine arts/paint section. (Of course, I'd totally forgotten that the last time I was on this thread). :P

The Liquitex glazing medium works similarly to the Golden glazing medium, in that it allows you to have more open time with your acrylic paints. Ranger had a retarder/open medium in its Claudine Hellmuth Studio line of paints, but since that line's been discontinued, I'm not sure if you would be able to find it now. You may be able to use gel medium/multi-medium. Gel medium is thicker than glazing medium, but it does help extend your paints and help you make glazes with them. Someone here who is a bit more familiar with acrylic media may want to chime in.

Ranger has multi-medium under its own brand and gel medium in its Dina Wakley line. The Ranger multi-medium comes in matte and gloss, whereas the Dina Wakley gel medium comes in matte only. I could be wrong, but I think the gel medium and multi-medium are pretty much the same product. I used the Ranger multi-medium back when it was sold as a Claudine Hellmuth Studio product. I've used it only as an adhesive and not as a paint extender, so can't give any feedback as to how it would work on the gelli plate.

You can always do Plan B when paint has dried on your plate, as others mentioned above. Put a good coat of white paint on the dry paint and pull a print on scratch paper. This first Plan B print will be mostly white. Quickly pull another print with your good paper/cardstock to pull up the dried paint. Here's a tutorial about Plan B prints from Gelli Arts:
Printing with Gelli Arts�: Plan B

Hope all that helps in some way. I feel that I'm muddying up the topic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #143  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinHoosierView Post
I've lost track of this thread. Just want to make a few quick comments.

muscrat: you're doing great! There is a bit of a learning curve regarding how much paint to use and what types work best for what you want to do. The Gelli Arts people are coming out with a book soon. I looked at the preview on Amazon, and the book said any acrylic paints would work with the gelli plate.

You said you are having some trouble with the paints drying quickly. You could try the Golden Open acrylics, but you may have to order them online. I'm not sure if they're available at Hobby Lobby, Michael's, or JoAnn Fabric. A few years ago, I bought a small bottle of Liquitex brand glazing medium in Hobby Lobby's fine arts/paint section. (Of course, I'd totally forgotten that the last time I was on this thread). :P

The Liquitex glazing medium works similarly to the Golden glazing medium, in that it allows you to have more open time with your acrylic paints. Ranger had a retarder/open medium in its Claudine Hellmuth Studio line of paints, but since that line's been discontinued, I'm not sure if you would be able to find it now. You may be able to use gel medium/multi-medium. Gel medium is thicker than glazing medium, but it does help extend your paints and help you make glazes with them. Someone here who is a bit more familiar with acrylic media may want to chime in.

Ranger has multi-medium under its own brand and gel medium in its Dina Wakley line. The Ranger multi-medium comes in matte and gloss, whereas the Dina Wakley gel medium comes in matte only. I could be wrong, but I think the gel medium and multi-medium are pretty much the same product. I used the Ranger multi-medium back when it was sold as a Claudine Hellmuth Studio product. I've used it only as an adhesive and not as a paint extender, so can't give any feedback as to how it would work on the gelli plate.

You can always do Plan B when paint has dried on your plate, as others mentioned above. Put a good coat of white paint on the dry paint and pull a print on scratch paper. This first Plan B print will be mostly white. Quickly pull another print with your good paper/cardstock to pull up the dried paint. Here's a tutorial about Plan B prints from Gelli Arts:
Printing with Gelli Arts�: Plan B

Hope all that helps in some way. I feel that I'm muddying up the topic.
A lot of good advice. I did buy something called gloss medium from Walmart and it seems to work well. But I also watched a video where they purposefully allow the image to dry and then she coats it with something to pull the print. I'm going to watch that again. She used magpie stencils. It was gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #144  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've just ordered some gloss gel, glass bead texture gel and sand paste. I saw it used in a mixed media book I treated myself to.
I just wish I had asked for a sink in my craft room now, I think I will have to buy a bowl so I can clean up after myself as I seem to get in a mess but I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 01:56 PM   #145  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Barbara posts a new video each Tuesday ("YouTube Tuesday").

Here's today's video using a gelli plate with ink and stencils:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #146  
Proud Fan Club Member

I didn't know you could use inks! She's awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #147  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
A lot of good advice. I did buy something called gloss medium from Walmart and it seems to work well. But I also watched a video where they purposefully allow the image to dry and then she coats it with something to pull the print. I'm going to watch that again. She used magpie stencils. It was gorgeous!
Thanks for the suggestion about the magpie video. I loved her print. That was sorto like using Plan B as your Plan A.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 05:50 AM   #148  
Crimping Master

Default Mixed Media

Hi,
I am new here and would like to know how to join this group.
Thanks,
Josie hancock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #149  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josie HancockView Post
Hi,
I am new here and would like to know how to join this group.
Thanks,
Josie hancock
Hey there Josie. It's easy, just join right in. Head over to the introducing myself/chat thread & introduce yourself & then find a discussion you're interested in and add your 2 cents or ask a question. Everyone's super nice & helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2014, 06:38 AM   #150  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You have already joined SCS no need to "join" anything else just jump in on any thread/conversation you want. Glad you found the Mixed Media area, we are a bit harder to find. Do you do mixed media or art journaling?

I was actually in the area of a scrapbook and paper arts store yesterday and went in to see a Gelli plate in person. I was so excited but she is currently sold out, dang it!!

Last edited by stampin stacy; 07-17-2014 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #151  
Crimping Master

I have done some of each, very new to journaling. I will post some pics of what I have made shortly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #152  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jan31View Post
I've just ordered some gloss gel, glass bead texture gel and sand paste. I saw it used in a mixed media book I treated myself to.
I just wish I had asked for a sink in my craft room now, I think I will have to buy a bowl so I can clean up after myself as I seem to get in a mess but I love it.
Cheap cat litter trays are great! The dollar store usually has them and they are big enough to let most things lay flat. When we redid the basement I made sure I put a large sink in the kitchenette. It's big enough to submerge my Cricut and Silhouette mats.

― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2014, 03:19 AM   #153  
Crimping Master

I use a square laundry tub. I fill it with warm water and use it until I am done for the day. Saves me from running to the kitchen all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #154  
Proud Fan Club Member

I pulled a couple of prints this morning but nothing as great as Barbara grays stuff!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #155  
Gabfest Goddess

I showed another friend how to use gelli plates today. We used my8 x10 and my new 5x7. Sad to say it makes me want to buy even more of the 12 x12 stencils so I can cover the whole plate with a stencil! It never ends, does it??? This craving for more toys...

Last edited by arlenevita; 07-20-2014 at 03:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2014, 01:14 PM   #156  
Crimping Master

Have anyone here made their own plates. I have made 3 using 3 different recipe's. They work great for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2014, 02:17 PM   #157  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josie HancockView Post
Have anyone here made their own plates. I have made 3 using 3 different recipe's. They work great for me.
I was going to make one but then a friend bought me one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #158  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,976 Likes on 1,492 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
I showed another friend how to use gelli plates today. We used my8 x10 and my new 5x7. Sad to say it makes me want to buy even more of the 12 x12 stencils so I an cover the whole plate with a stencil! It never ends, does it??? This craving for more toys...
No, it never ends. I have watched a demo at a Local stamp store and they do the print on a large plate and then use the small one with it. I have the 8x10, but kind of want the smaller one, too. Especially after watching that video!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #159  
Crimping Master

These are easy to make. You just need a container to make them in and then to put back for storage. If you can find a container with square sides ,that is best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2014, 03:38 AM   #160  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
No, it never ends. I have watched a demo at a Local stamp store and they do the print on a large plate and then use the small one with it. I have the 8x10, but kind of want the smaller one, too. Especially after watching that video!
How do they use the smaller plate with the larger plate?
Reply With Quote Likes