Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-03-2018, 11:03 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SU Photopolymer Storage

Has anyone here taken their Stampin Up photopolymer sets out of the DVD cases and stored them in stamp storage pockets?

I store all of my other photopolymer sets in Avery Elle stamp storage pockets, but I've been hesitant to do this with the SU sets that come in DVDs. Some part of me feels like I can't just throw away the "official" DVD insert with the pictures of the stamps. But I honestly don't know why I want to keep it. I really don't need it.

Let me know, if you've already ripped the band aid off and thrown these out.

TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 03:50 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have everything in stamp pockets, even my SU photopolymer stamps. I just want everything the same, and stored in the same place.

Plus, the pockets take up a whole lot less space.

I did rip off that band-aid didn't I? Hope I gave you a couple good reasons to do the same?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2018, 05:25 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, Diane, you're giving me courage. Those DVD cases take up so much space. I love my pocket storage system. I'm trying to get rid of as many rubber stamps as I can, but some of them I love way too much to part with. I'm also transferring my wood mounts to cling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-05-2018, 01:53 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally I haven't. I do use the pocket storage system for all my other stamps and store them by company. The only SU ones I have in pockets are ones I have unmounted from wood. The reason I haven't gotten rid of the DVD cases is that I have them on a couple of tall bookshelves in alphabetical order and I like looking at the spine to find stamps I'd like to use. Crazy really since I have everything cataloged in Evernote. Maybe someday I will put them all in pockets but for now, no.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2018, 04:27 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

I hadn’t done that. I am in the process of unmounting my hundreds of SU wood mounted sets and putting them in dvd cases. That is saving me tons of space in comparison. I am putting two similar sets in each case: one on the front, one on the back. Once I’m done, I’ll do a numbering system, but not yet. I bought a case of dvd cases, but if you’re going to get rid of a bunch at some point, I might be interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are you storing them within the dvd case Lunnewithane? just loose? or adhering with ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
Has anyone here taken their Stampin Up photopolymer sets out of the DVD cases and stored them in stamp storage pockets?

I store all of my other photopolymer sets in Avery Elle stamp storage pockets, but I've been hesitant to do this with the SU sets that come in DVDs. Some part of me feels like I can't just throw away the "official" DVD insert with the pictures of the stamps. But I honestly don't know why I want to keep it. I really don't need it.

Let me know, if you've already ripped the band aid off and thrown these out.

TIA
Can't you tuck the insert into the back of the pocket? Or are the inserts too large for the pockets? Not sure of the sizing but if it's too large as-is, maybe you can trim down the front part with the images? You wouldn't necessarily need to keep the spine and the back page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 05:46 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I put my retired PP sets into pockets (I'm a demo). The insert fits perfectly into the pocket, if you just fold the "binding" edge of the insert over to the back.
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 05:57 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppofctView Post
how are you storing them within the dvd case Lunnewithane? just loose? or adhering with ?
I am one that likes the stickers on my red rubber. So, I wait until I�ve unmounted a bunch of sets, and lay them out on the clamshell case. Then I take a bathroom cup and mix some tack it over and over with water, and use a foam brush to apply it to the sticker. (I peel the sticker off the wood, and stick it to the foam.) I let it dry overnight, and they stick pretty securely to the inside of the dvd case. The case is just wide enough that I can have a set on the front, and a set on the back.
When I started seeing the whole Avery Elle pocket thing, I knew I didn�t want to start all over again. That�s when I thought of doing two sets per case. I figure that should even up the amount of storage space to doing the pockets.
The only thing I might change is storing similar sets together. I may switch to alphabetical, but not sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I store mine in pockets similar to the Avery Elle ones. The cling ones, too - just on a thicker back. Once I got my stamps all done and "filed" I started on my dies and I now put them in smaller pockets (for CD's) so they are always handy.

One thing I can't do is part with the DVD cases though! I keep them in the closet with the inserts all stacked up. Seems silly to save them but what else can I do? I don't think I could sell them and I don't want to dump them. I keep thinking I will come up with a use for them eventually. Story of my life!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

The only ones I keep in the DVD cases are the ones with a matching die set. I put a piece of vent cover in the front part of the DVD case and lay the dies in there, so they are right in with the stamp set. Everything else goes in an Avery Elle envelope. I just fold the DVD case insert over at the "spine" and it fits into the envelope.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I really like the SU cases. I use for all brands of unmounted rubber stamps.I use a piece of dura-lar against the cling part since the direct contact with case can ruin the cling.
The cases offer sturdy support for unmounted, especially larger stamps.
They take up a bit more room, but stand sturdy for storage. Also, work well for stacking flat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
I use a piece of dura-lar against the cling part since the direct contact with case can ruin the cling.
Wait a sec....SU sells their own stamps in cases that will ruin them? And sells the cases separately so that you can put other stamps in them? Where did this info come from? Can you lead me to something so that I can find out some more details? Don't get me wrong, my intent is not to be combative, I just have never heard this until now and it seems odd to me that a stamp company would do this. Stranger things have happened though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2018, 06:51 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

SU has had the cases in diff sizes in their catalogs for years. I don’t know if they have them in 2017-2018 catalog. I have a nice stack of them I use for both clear and rubber cling.I use the Duralar for both kinds of stamps.
SU told me plus I had read not to adhere the rubber stamp sticky backing directly to case. It can ruin the sticky back. Maybe they expect you to keep the paper backings that come with each stamp? I was told it is safe to adhere polymer directly to inside of cases.
I use the clear pocket system for majority of polymer stamps, but I like the sturdiness of the cases for my penny black rubber clings and some polymer.
I’m glad I stocked up on the 3 sizes over the years. I like storing my Christmas stamps away knowing they won’t get crushed.
Remember, the information I am passing on is only as good as the info I was given.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2018, 06:53 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

I think she's mistaken. I've heard of the crystal jewel CD cases harming EZ mount cling over time, but never heard that of the SU DVD size cases (which are made of something way different that the clear CD cases).
My Stampin' Up! site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2018, 06:54 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

My info came directly from SU....guess they are mistaken?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2018, 07:44 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

If the info came directly from SU, then I hope the employee/representative was mistaken or misunderstood the question/reason for your inquiry. It just does not make sense that a company that sells stamps would choose to package their product in something that is harmful to them. If you don't mind my asking, what prompted your inquiry to Stampin' Up? This post has really got me curious now - can you imagine the backlash against them as a company if this is true? To knowingly sell you something that will damage the exact product it is meant to protect? I might contact them now If I get a response, I will share it in this thread
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2018, 08:32 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Polymer:
Like everyone, at first I just got a bit obsessed with polymer stamp storage, since I was apparently going to ruin my POLYMER stamps leaving in original packaging.All this begs the question, why do POLYMER stamps come in so called damaging packaging?
I recall asking Jennifer McGuire if she uses the original sheet polymer stamps come on with her clear pockets, and I understood her to say yes to that. That was comforting. Sometimes I do, sometimes I use the Dura-lar.

Cling:
When I was a previous “demonstrator” for SU I wrote them directly after seeing comments on SC and other demonstrators. “Do not adhere cling stamps directly to case”.
(But, it is ok they say.......to adhere polymer directly to case since not acetate).
I thought the cling thing strange too, but I am a compliant person��.
So I cut cardstock to rest the cling against, or used duralar.
It is possible SU has changed their status on that, I don’t know. I do what I do and it is working.

I’m mostly curious on the original packaging still used with polymer stamps and why that has not changed.....at least it does not seem changed.
Again......right or wrong, my info is just what I have read or heard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2018, 07:19 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I store my SU photopolymer in Avery Elle pockets. I remove the DVD insert, fold at the spine, and place that in the front of the pocket. I have the pockets in a fridge bin and I can flip through, looking at the large image from that DVD insert, and see the full image.The idea of leaving them in the DVD on a shelf and seeing the images on the spine wouldn't work because I can't read the small images on the spine.
I have so many sets and removing them from the DVD case frees up so much space. You wouldn't think it would, but it does. I sold most of the unused cases at a swap and then gave the rest to my crafting buddies. I kept a few, just in case, and found I don't use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Gosh, SU responded quicker than I had expected! We can now breathe a sigh of relief knowing that we can store SU stamps in the cases they are sent in

Good Afternoon Melissa,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your inquisition. After researching this situation, I was unable to find any statements given directly by Stampin' Up! in regards not storing the Clear Mount Stamps in their original casing or the Dura Lar. We do advise and support storing stamps in the cases that they are originally packaged in!

If you are wishing for additional tips on storing your products, I suggest visiting our Youtube Channel or Pinterest Account. There we have provided exceptional advice. I have included the link to our Youtube Channel below:

https://www.youtube.com/user/<wbr>stampinupvideo

I hope that this helps! Let us know if you have any other additional questions.

Warm wishes,

Tiffany
Stampin' Up! �
Inspire. Create. Share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This topic in general confuses me and makes me worry about my stamps! I'm very happy to see Stampin Up's response. Regarding other brands, is there anyone else who keeps their stamps attached to the clear sheets that the stamps come adhered to? I keep all my clear stamp sets in their original packaging and have them on spinners (except the DVD and CD sets by SU, A Muse Studio, and Papertrey Ink.) Whenever threads on this topic come up, I start to get ancy that my lifetime savings spent in the form of stamps, lol, are in danger of being ruined!

Does anyone know if companies like MFT, Lawn Fawn, Hero Arts, Avery Elle, and all the other big names are safe for the long haul in what they come packaged in? Has anyone here run into problems of their own or just heard about them? I know I had sets from when clear stamps first came out - that did not stand the test of time. It could have been the original stamp material or the sheeting. They stamps would get squishy and tear when be pulled off or they would be absolutely impossible to take off the backing and had to get tossed. But clear stamps have some so far since then...

I just want to make sure these stamps last and if I need to change how I store them, I'd rather do it sooner than later. I am going to email a bunch of the companies now. I'll post what companies say if anyone is interested! - Catherine

Last edited by Catherine773; 03-21-2018 at 05:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 04:01 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

THIS THREAD has a ton of information (and research) into this topic, if you'd rather read it than do a lot of re-inventing of the wheel...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 05:49 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sue thank you for the link! Thankfully it took me maybe 5 minutes to cut and paste my inquiry to the stamp companies, so I'm happy to share the feedback I received. Good news all around... and wonderful customer service!!! Below are the companies I've heard back from so far. The only company who could not give an an enthusiastic answer was Mama Elephant. They just apologized for not knowing and said so far, it hasn't been an issue they are aware of. Both MFT and Lawn Fawn said the plastic sheets will not damage the stamps at all over time. Newton's Nook is a go too. WPlus9 is safe in their original packaging. Sunny Studios was a awesome and is contacting the manufacturer to confirm for sure there will be no issues for the long haul - they use the same manufacturer as Hero Arts does. Your Next Stamp is a go for keeping stamps in their plastic. Simon Says Stamps gave me good insight - their stamps are safe on the acrylic sheets, but they shared not to store clear stamps in the closed outer plastic they come in. The stamps need to breathe and be kept in a dark cool place. I'd never thought about the outer packaging. Reverse Confetti confirmed it is safe. There are a few more companies I'm waiting to hear back from... but so far, these companies promote that their clear stamps are safe and sound on the acetate or whatever their particular sheets are made of these days! PS - I'm not bothering with companies manufactured in China and certain others that I know from experience how horrible the sheets are over time, such as Fiskers, Inkadinkadoo, Kaiser Craft and so on. Back in the day all my Brenda Walton stamps went bad. My KI memories. My Sentiments Exactly. I suspect as time has passed, the higher quality companies have improved things. Quick question - I did see on the other thread a few post about CD cases. I have tons of PTI sets. Has anyone personally experienced issues with these cases???

Last edited by Catherine773; 03-22-2018 at 06:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I also have to thank you, Catherine771, because your research prompted me to find out what Shrinky Dink film is made of. They had it right next to the stamps at Michaels and I was out of Dura Lar so I bought it. BAD BAD BAD because it is made out of one of the poly propa-whatever it's called that is bad for stamps. Now I have to try and remember which ones I stored on that stuff so I can take them off. I am going to have to flip through a lot of stamps to find them. Makes me want to go back down to Michael's and leave a note on the display!! At least I saw your post before it was too late, I think it's only been a week or so. You are wonderful!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2018, 03:34 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Just wanted to update who else Ive heard back from...

Avery Elle, Your Next Stamp, and Newton's Nook all said their plastic sheeting is safe for the long haul. Still its only Mama Elephant who is unable to give a definitive answer. So far, it's looking good!

If I do in time end up changing to storage pockets/sleeves - these spinners do take up quite a lot of space - does anyone just slide the stamp set into the pocket as it is? I know the other threads talk a lot about transferring the stamps onto other materials. I'm trying to remember what Jennifer McGuire does - and I think she has the stamp sets on their original sheeting and just drops them right into the pockets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Per my previous post, I asked Jennifer and she keeps clear stamps on original sheet and drops in a clear pocket with cardstock cut to fit.
It makes perfect sense to remove the outer clear packaging. Clear stamps seemed smothered with all the outside packaging.
Nice that SU responded. I’m still going to protect the sticky side of cling stamps from the case with duralar or cardstock. 3 diff sources was enough to convince me.
Reply With Quote Likes