Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 AM   #41  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that organizing by theme doesn't work for me, because so many images cross over. What, exactly, is a "birthday" image, for example?
I was blessed that dh scored a shelf from a hospital which has lots of narrow shelves (they used it to organize and store all the different forms they needed). So different sizes of clamshells don't bother me; only 2 fit on each shelf anyway. I store them all alphabetically, except for alphabets. This includes individual stamps and clear sets (which I keep in the original plastic bags and write on the end what its name is, and just put on TOP of the wood mount ones so they don't get smooshed). Some things, like Stampscapes I keep under "S" instead of under the name of the individual stamp.
THEN, I think the KEY is, I made an index binder with all the stamps organized by category. So, if I'm making a birthday card, for example, I can turn to the "birthday" category which has specific things like presents and balloons--but I can also easily flip through the rest for other ideas, like ice cream cones or fairies for a little girl, or motorcycles for a man. If an image fits in more than one category, I put it in both. Originally I stamped each one to make the binder, but I recently switched over to printing it out from an index photo (stamping the ones that I can't find online) so I could add, reorganize and reprint if necessary. I tried to size the picture so it was relatively close to the original. The only excepting is sentiments, which I did stamp directly on the paper, because so many times I need to know the exact size ("will it fit in my 1" circle punch?" for example)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #42  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote: "I find that organizing by theme doesn't work for me, because so many images cross over. What, exactly, is a "birthday" image, for example?"

I put just the things you mentioned into my birthday section--gifts, cakes, balloons, confetti, bows. However, they are in the same drawer (that hold two clam shell boxes deep) with other occasion cards: graduation, St. Pat's Day, baby, wedding, Easter eggs etc. (I have so many Valentine's Day and Christmas stamps that they each have their own drawer. Mostly I use the birthday stuff for kids and the grown-ups get a birthday card by the theme of the month. For example May was people (I have dancing images and hatted women etc.) and June is cacti. Because I do stamp by theme (Father's Day this year will be lighthouses), separating my stamps by categories works best for me. Writing the name of the stamp set on each block is helpful for looking them up on SCS to check on ideas or to see what section the other stamps in the set are. This saves me time stamping or printing out the images. Since I do the same for sentiments/greetings, when I need a birthday or sympathy, I just grab out the box(s) containing those sayings and pick the style/ size that works for that particular card. What's more important, however, is what works for the individual person. Hats off to everyone that responded. I love hearing how everyone does it, as one can pick up an idea here and there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2010, 12:10 PM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

I keep all of my SU stamps in their original clamshell. I have a ringbinder w/ looseleaf paper in it. Each page has a topic on top (baby, Christmas, Birthday). I stamp each image on the page that it corresponds to and then write the name of the set underneath. I then store the sets alphabetically in drawers. Some stamps that may fit into more than one category are stamped on more than one page. Also, I stamp the image in pixie pink, so I don't have to clean black off all my stamps. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thought about separating my sets, but can't for the very reason already mentioned - too many images fall into more than one category. So here's what I do.

- Sets stay together. All of my stamps are unmounted and in CD cases. Each set gets an identifying number. This is an alphabetic code for the manufacturer plus a number. For example, Stampin' Up! sets are "S1", "S2", etc. Papertrey sets are "P1", "P2", and so on. This number is on the spine of the CD case in addition to the set name and manufacturer.

- I have a binder in which I stamp images in various categories. Some of the categories are "thank you", "birthday", "sympathy", "butterflies", "animals", "hearts", etc. Some categories are for sentiments, some are for images. I can easily add new stamps to the existing categories, or stamp an image into a new category that I just realized that it should be in, or a new category that I decide to create. For example, I recently decided to add a category for "medallions" - all of the cool round images that often work together. Easy as pie to set up a new category and then add images as I get around to it.

- In my binder, each image has the identifying number of the stamp set handwritten under it. I also keep a master list of the identifying numbers at the front of the binder. I rarely have to look at it, though. I just see the number, such as "S25" and know to scan the Stampin' Up! area on my CD rack for the number.

- On my CD rack, I have a few manufacturers that I have a ton of - they each get their own shelf/shelves - Papertrey Ink, Stampin' Up!, and Verve are in this category. Stamps from these companies are alphabetical by set name. Other companies are below these, alphabetically by my company code letter(s), and then alphabetically by set name within each company. The only sets that are stored by category rather than by company are alphabets. They're all together on one shelf.

- If I sell or trade a set, I just put an "X" through its images in my index book. Very low-tech.

- When I want to find something - a sentiment of the right size or font, or just the right star or butterfly - it's very easy to flip to the category in my book and find one, then zip over to the CD rack and grab it.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing stamps - by kind? alphabetical?-cd_labels.jpg   Organizing stamps - by kind? alphabetical?-index_book1.jpg   Organizing stamps - by kind? alphabetical?-index_book2.jpg  

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2010, 04:23 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelle328View Post
I don't buy sets so all of mine are individuals. I store them in a blueprint drawer unit. I do them by categories: people, botanical, holidays, sentiments, etc. I'm in the process of indexing them now.
I don't have any sets either, just individual wood mounteds.I have some clear and some UMs but truthfully, I am too lazy to go thru them and then get the proper mount so I just grab the woods. Have them in clear plastic drawers stacked 2 stamps high per drawer but over the years they are starting to sag. Did find a small 5 drawer wood unit reg $60 on clearance for $16. Part of the wrought iron trim was bent (DH fixed) so that holds all my words and large background stamps. Do have them catagorized. Do alot of collage so my MISC category is really full.
Diane Long
Creative Destinations Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

All my stamps are unmounted and each stamp no matter what kind it is is in an individual little zip baggie. I have plastic boxes and each box has a category. All stamps are separated by category. For those stamps that I did purchase as a set, they are all separate since the set together has no meaning to me. It's not like I would only or ever use all of the set on one card.

I have categories like animals, dogs, cats, trees, flowers/plants, fruit, etc. All sentiment stamps are in one box.

This system works for me and is easy to find what I want and takes up very little room.

I think I have all the stamps I would ever want so the containers fit my needs.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #47  
Forum Fanatic

Well, I out-grew my binders long ago, moved most of my wooden stamps (mostly SU) to unmounted and CD cases. I love my CD cases but have found that I forget where certain stamps are located, especially after moving my crafting space within the past 2 years from our main floor to the basement and back to my main floor again. Anyway, now when I am looking for a stamp for example for a kid's birthday, I can't seem to recall what the name of the stamp set is (which are alphabetically arranged). Now I don't want to separate the stamps in each case, as I have other stamp companies already labeled in the CD case (i.e. Paper Pretties, Gina K, CC Designs), so I am going to try sorting these stamp sets on the CD shelves by categories. I have come up with about 14 categories (floral/nature, masculine, cute, vintage/feminine, religious, multiple holidays, Christmas, seasonal - have quite a few Autumn or summer stamps, wedding/anniversary, sentiments/poems, sympathy, alphabet and animals). I also have a couple of drawers of wooden stamps that I just couldn't bring myself to pry off the blocks (Penny Black, House Mouse, Gruffies and Great Impressions that are separated by manufacturer and then placed in their drawers by categories as well. Hoping this will help jog my memory and passing it along in case others are not "sure" about splitting up their stamp sets by category.
Barbaralynn's Summer Swap

I'm a BRAK member. We would love for you to join us!
Click here for more information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 05:08 AM   #48  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I decided to keep all my sets together. The thought of separating them just kills me. Plus I figured it would be a chore trying to find all the correct stamps if I ever wanted to sell any of them later on.

I think everyone needs to have a storage solution that works for them. I am limited on space and so I decided to keep all my stamps arranged in alphabetical order on two storage racks. I have the shelves marked with the correct letters of the sets and I keep a list of my stamps, dies, embossing folders, etc on my computer so there's no need to keep track using papers, binders and such.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #49  
Compulsive Stamper

Here is what I do.

I keep all my SU sets together. I need to organize them better, but I keep them in their clamshell cases and then in a cloth covered storage box. I found some at garden ridge that were the perfect size, that way I can just slide the box out half way on my shelf and pull out the one I need. I will post a pic of this soon.

My clear or cling mounted I keep in 3 ring binders, I laminated card stock to make it stiff and since its laminated its slick the stamps stick to it.
I have them sorted by company then by category. I love this. I have labels on the binders that show me just what is inside and I just flip through and pick out what I need.

Now some people unmount their wood stamps. NOT ME. I love the feel and look of them still. But think that my recent way of storing them helps greatly. Here is a link my storage. This isn't my page but where I got the wonderful idea. i heart scrapbooking: My new rubber stamp shelf...I'm in love!!!!
But I didn't make that little shelf I find that they fit well in the cubes that have shelfs for paper from Micheal's. I put two on each shelf and slide the other one to the back and that works fine. So for these non-su wood mounted I have categorized by subject, flowers, trees, food, words of encouragement, hello and thinking of you, etc.
But I will put a picture of that up soo also,, BUT love, love, love, it. I wish I had done that all along, makes it so easy to put away when I finish a project or come home with a new stash, HEHE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 04:41 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Mine are all unmounted and on laminated sheets in page protectors in binders. I have all of the holiday sets (regardless of manufacturer) together, but otherwise they are organized by manufacturer, and (roughly) alphabetical. Because it IS easier to find a particular image if you're looking in a category, an index is invaluable - I use a Rolodex. I had all of my sets broken up and organized in categories, but I found that there were too many crossover images and I was getting aggravated, so I put them all back together again. Don't go there...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2013, 05:11 PM   #51  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I have wood-mounted, unmounted, and clear stamps. I won't separate stamps in a set. I won't unmount my wooden stamps. My wood-mounted are in clamshells. I have large clamshells that I buy by the case for my wood-mounteds that are not part of a set. My unmounted rubber stamps are on 8-1/2 x 11 3-hole punched boards from Sunday International and the boards are in large 3-ring binders. My clear stamps are not in a good system right now, but I'll be putting them into large bins soon.

I just got a good idea here for cataloging using a Rolodex and I'll be cataloging and storing all my stamps by category.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #52  
Kookie Creator

Organization. The bug-a-boo of crafters everywhere.

Before I tell you, my caveat is, I'm not sure I still like it.

I have my stamps stored as they came (mostly), in sets, mounted. I mix clear and rubber sets. I use elfa drawers:
The Container Store > White elfa Closet Drawers
in my craft room. The drawers, by the way, are lined with a clear liner that elfa also sells.
My stamps are in one of several drawers, labeled:
Christmas (this includes snowflakes, snowmen, winter stuff)
Animals (including sets with multiple greetings)
Nature (flowers, mostly, but also landscapes)
Backgrounds (both small and large, includes design sets)
Greetings (stamp sets that are just words, Simply Sent sets, alphabet)
Holidays (all the other holiday sets that aren't Christmas)
Misc. (This has some shapes, some cheaper stamps I rarely use)

I like what a previous poster mentioned about not knowing where a specific flower was, what set it belonged to. I run into that issue quite a lot, so I am interested in how to restructure my organization to allow me to spend more time stamping, and less time looking for that one image.

I don't know how much this helps you, but it's what I do.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #53  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I am just in the beginning stages of organizing my stamps but, for my stamp sets, I am not separating them. I'm going to use a rolodex system organized by category, so I'll have to see how this plays out but my plan now for my sets is to file the stamped image by category and then to reference the number that's on the container that holds all the stamps in the set (be it a cd case or a clamshell - whatever). So, if the set has sayings and flowers, I'd mark the outside of the container that holds all the stamp in that set with, just as an example, SU1234. On my index/rolodex card that has the stamped image for the flower, i'd put SU1234. On my index/rolodex card that has the stamped image for the thank you saying, I'd put SU1234. That way I can keep my stamp sets together and still categorize the individual stamp images that are in that set by category on my rolodex/index cards and find the set by the id on the container with the stamps. Hope this makes sense and HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by happigirlcorgiView Post
Organization. The bug-a-boo of crafters everywhere.

Before I tell you, my caveat is, I'm not sure I still like it.

I have my stamps stored as they came (mostly), in sets, mounted. I mix clear and rubber sets. I use elfa drawers:
The Container Store > White elfa Closet Drawers
in my craft room. The drawers, by the way, are lined with a clear liner that elfa also sells.
My stamps are in one of several drawers, labeled:
Christmas (this includes snowflakes, snowmen, winter stuff)
Animals (including sets with multiple greetings)
Nature (flowers, mostly, but also landscapes)
Backgrounds (both small and large, includes design sets)
Greetings (stamp sets that are just words, Simply Sent sets, alphabet)
Holidays (all the other holiday sets that aren't Christmas)
Misc. (This has some shapes, some cheaper stamps I rarely use)

I like what a previous poster mentioned about not knowing where a specific flower was, what set it belonged to. I run into that issue quite a lot, so I am interested in how to restructure my organization to allow me to spend more time stamping, and less time looking for that one image.

I don't know how much this helps you, but it's what I do.
Since I break p my sets and store them by type or theme, I just write the name of the set on the side of the block with a Sharpie. Then I know where it came from, can check to see on SCS how others have used it and see what other stamps are in the set and know where in my storage to find those. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

I like so many have created a binder of stamped images. In a space about the size of an ATC, I stamp the image and write the manufacturers and set name below. My categories are things like "flowers" "crowns" "sentiments", etc. I keep my sets whole. The plan was to flip through my binder when I'm looking for inspiration, but I like looking at the stamps themselves more. Often I switch my plans entirely and pick up the set that speaks to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

This thread and another one pushed me into scanning all of my stamps today. I did them by set, and if I had a bunch of singles that were related by theme, they all went in together too. Now to attach the pictures to my prepared document that will allow me to note name, company, punches/dies, and cross reference with other sets.

I am exhausted. Scanning was not the issue. Traipsing around the house with 50 lb drawers of stamps was. Going to get a hot pack for my back now.

Thanks for inspiring me to get myself better organized. I know, I sound grumpy now, but I will be happy later.

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #57  
Inking Addict

Thumbs up

Has anyone tried the Create A System Stamp A Log? I'm going to give it a try and see if it works for me. all of my stamps are clear unmounted sets.
Create-A-System :: Stamp A Log Complete Starter Kit

--------------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Sounds pretty comprehensive, but maybe too time consuming for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #59  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaV1View Post
Has anyone tried the Create A System Stamp A Log? I'm going to give it a try and see if it works for me. all of my stamps are clear unmounted sets.
Create-A-System :: Stamp A Log Complete Starter Kit
I bought the Stamp-a-Log not long after I started stamping years ago. It has specialized pages for various types of products. The design of the pages may have changed over the years. I also created my own specialized pages on my computer for some things. For example, I was collecting so many Marvy die ink pads and markers that I created a numbered list for ALL of their colors so I could just check off the ones I had - ink pad, reinker, and/or marker. It's based on a 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" page which I thought was handy for carrying when I went shopping. Now if I had just kept it up-to-date and actually taken it to the store, maybe I wouldn't have purchased so may duplicates over the years. :oops:
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
This is the first I've heard of such a thing. Sounds pretty comprehensive, but maybe too time consuming for me.
I totally agree. I'd been stamping for years and was encouraged to catalog my stamps. Well after 3 hours and I hadn't even dented what I owned, I realized that I could be having fun stamping instead of this. So I didn't do my stamps. I remember what I have for the most part and if I end up 'finding' stamps I forgot about, all the better! I do have my stamps sort of organized in the stamp credenza I built by category, but ended up doing some by vendor too.

It's everyone's prerogative to do what they want and what works for them. For me, it didn't bother me that I don't have them cataloged. I think I'd spend more time looking through that than stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #61  

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
I totally agree. I'd been stamping for years and was encouraged to catalog my stamps. Well after 3 hours and I hadn't even dented what I owned, I realized that I could be having fun stamping instead of this. So I didn't do my stamps. I remember what I have for the most part and if I end up 'finding' stamps I forgot about, all the better! I do have my stamps sort of organized in the stamp credenza I built by category, but ended up doing some by vendor too.

It's everyone's prerogative to do what they want and what works for them. For me, it didn't bother me that I don't have them cataloged. I think I'd spend more time looking through that than stamping.
I thought about doing this as well. I even went as far as to purchase the items I needed to catalog my stamps. Well, that was like 4 years ago and like you said it would take me so much time. I'd rather be stamping and creating so I gave up even before I began.

I love when I come across a set I forgot about or haven't used yet and if I need to find a certain type of image I just google it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #62  
Gallery Gazer

Received 178 Likes on 119 Posts

Anyone care to share their digital excel files?
I think this is the way to go for me, I have always scanned pics of stampsets as I buy and just flip through them on my computer when deciding on a project, but something more specific would be a bonus.

I still need to read all the above messages thoroughly, might pick up other ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

Doris,
Have you considered using a photo organizing software? I'm using ACDsee. Every time I purchase a stamp set I save an image of it from online and assign keywords to it. I can also assign sub-categories. I can look at all of my Christmas sets, or search for "tree" within "Christmas". I can also assign more than one keyword. If a set has Thank You, Hello, and an image of a flower I can assign the set to each category. Once I decide what I want, I can easily pull the set which I keep filed alphabetically.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2013, 04:31 AM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

I use a binder system too. I have my sets broken into many different categories - if I find that one category is getting too large, I break into smaller ones. For example, I somehow had a lot of leaves/stems and so I separated these out of the more general flower category. I have a piece of white cardstock in each page protector, and then the acetate. I have a mix of clear and rubber on each page. I have the stamps INSIDE the page protectors (on the acetate) so that if any fall off they don't get lost. I love this system because I think in categories too. I can just flip through my binders to see what flower, or thank you, or happy birthday I like for a project. I don't have an index (although if I were starting over I might do this!). I have about 15 binders, and they just take up one shelf on my Billy (IKEA) bookcase so it is very space friendly. This system really works for me - I can find what I am looking for easily and I no longer buy duplicates!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2013, 01:20 PM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Default I just reorganized my stamps

You can see what I did on my blog:

CRICKETS CREATIONS

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2013, 05:01 AM   #66  
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

I started using Evernote, love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 03:14 PM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

I started with spiral bound index cards, one or two stamps per card etc. but I bought too many stamps too quickly. So I abandoned that idea and just left it alone... for 2 years.

Gulp.

I now have Word documents that I print out on cardstock. I have it set up in boxes so that there's room to stamp the image and write what it is etc. Right now, I'm just trying to get every single thing stamped. Once it's done, I'll put it all in order and put organizational dots on them and mark the book with what number they got.

My pages are like the word doc, and stamped they look like the image. It's taking FOREVER, but I have a LOT of stamps. WAY more than I thought I did. *gulp*

My categories thus far are...

Animal Stamps
Anniversary Sentiments
Baby Stamps
Bird Stamps
Birthday Sentiments
Birthday Stamps
Boy Stamps
Children Stamps
Christmas Stamps (wish I'd done sentiments separately. Grr)
Congratulations Sentiments
Encouragement Sentiments
Flower Stamps
Funny Sentiments
Gift Stamps/Sentiments
Girl Stamps
Graduation Sentiments
Graduation Stamps
Heart/Love Stamps
House Mouse Stamps (includes the off shoots like the rabbit, guinea pig etc.)
Men Stamps (wish I had done masculine... did it too soon after I woke up!)
Nature Stamps
Ocean/Water Stamps
Patriotic Stamps
PSX Stamps
Quote Stamps
Religious Stamps (crosses and religious quote/saying/sentiments that aren't scripture)
Scripture Stamps
Sympathy Sentiments
Tasha Tudor Stamps
Thanksgiving Stamps
Thank You Sentiments
Transportation Stamps
Tree Stamps
Valentine Stamps
Wedding Stamps
Women Stamps (again, wish I had done Feminine)
Attached Thumbnails
Organizing stamps - by kind? alphabetical?-stampcatalogimage.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: docx Birthday Sentiments.docx (13.6 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

I should also note that for the MOST part, I'm just stamping them in the catalog as I use them. Last night I was too sick to write, so I grabbed a bunch of stamps and stamped in the catalog while I watched Arrow because I was too awake to go to bed. Nice balance for me.

If I just sat and stamped nothing but the catalog, it would be faster, sure, but I'd never finish because I need creative time and I get so little of that anymore anyway. I hoard it. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #70  
Glitter Queen

I have a small crafting space and I have been trying to decide how to catalog my stamp sets. I have so many stamp sets and it's hard to remember what I have -- out of sight, out of mind. I started reading some of the ideas in this forum. I thought about scanning the stamp sets or stamping them and putting the sheets in a notebook filed by category -- not an easy task!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've scaled back so don't have nearly as many stamps as a lot of people (or as many as I used to!) but I store them by brand and always have. Right now they are in two DVD towers. On the shelves, they are in a variety of containers - DVD cases, Tim Holtz Advantus pockets, CD cases.

I still have some wood-mounted stamps that are in clamshell cases, stacked on a closet shelf. These are from a variety of manufacturers so some of the cases have a variety of brands and are organized by style/type.

I don't have any kind of binder or index system. I'm not sure I need one because there aren't that many so I usually have a good idea of what I'm going to use. But I do have a ton of Waltzingmouse Stamps so if I created any kind of list system, I'd probably just photocopy the index sheets and put them in a binder.

Last edited by Phantom; 11-02-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #72  
Cardstock Collector

A Little Birdie Told Me Stamp Storage

Clear sets are stored in CD cases, then housed in a revolving CD holder by category.

Wood mounted sets - Each storage case is labeled and numbered. All images from a set are stamped on a page labeled with the set name and the case number. The image page is filed in a binder by category. When I want an image, I locate it in the binder, and find the corresponding numbered case on my shelves. Although I could keep the cases in numerical order, I don't. I store them by case size and scan to find the set I need.

It's simple to add/delete sets and I can create multiple pages for sets that fit several categories.

Small clear sets are stored in baseball card page protectors and placed in a binder by category.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #73  
Cardstock Collector

Help please. I am trying to redo a very small scrap area that is also a room I share with my husband. Does anyone have a blank excel inventory spreadsheet already categorized they would be willing to share. I need to get everything organized and quit buying duplicates of things....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 12:02 AM   #74  
Gallery Gazer

Better than an excel program Evernote is your answer, I would recommend you check this link (not mine) that explains the program quite well for crafting purposes, Ink On My Whiskers: Creating a Stamp Index Using Evernote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 12:51 PM   #75  
Cardstock Collector

I would still like an excel spreadsheet. I know everyone goes on and on about evernote but that's not my style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #76  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm reading this thread again, since it is an "older" thread (2005 would be "ancient" ;) ) that has been resurrected and it's really interesting because many of us who responded the first time or the second time have changed what we do!

As for me...I didn't break up sets back then and now I have taken that leap. I love it!

As for the laminated cards that I had my stamp sets on before...those are now kind of a "set index". If I decide to purge something then I can find the stamps easily from those set cards.

Otherwise, since my stamps are filed in shallow drawers by topic, I have small images of the cards they are attached to on the front...or rather I will when I get done with them. Right now the drawers just have post-it labels.

Now, I know that Sue (gregzgirl) has changed her scheme...again...since this thread started. Who else who posted earlier has changed things since then?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #77  
Cardstock Collector

I love the fact that this has been brought back to the surface. And I love the way all are changing the way they used to do things. So consider me on the new boat to scrapper heaven. I want so much to organize all my things in a manner that anyone could follow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

I organized by theme back in the late 1990s and I still do. Guess I'm not much into change!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 03:17 AM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Diane is right - I have changed things up again (and again and again)! Currently - stamp sets are broken up, stored on laminated cardstock in page protectors (5 1/2" x 8 1/2"), and in file boxes I made from mat board. Each box is a different broad category (Nature, People and Their Stuff, Holiday) with subcategories within each box. Only full sets and sentiments are in an index. Otherwise, I just flip through the category of stamps that I want to find the particular image I want. The images are stamped on an index sheet for that particular page protector, so I didn't feel the need for a separate index - saves a step when I'm creating... I had all of the page protectors/stamps in binders, but this way is faster. Can you tell that I'm a tad impatient about finding things?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I still like your category "People and their stuff", Sue!

I may borrow that thought for the drawers I have that are people and stuff. Hmmmmm. Novel concept! May help me organize drawers and quit moving them around. Ha!

I also want to find things quickly. None of this check the index for what stamp might be the right one, check where it's stored, go to the right place to find the stamp. Why not just look directly at the stamps that are sorted the way I'd be looking at an index anyway.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes