Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did it....I jumped on the wagon: Erin Condren Planner Unboxing

I try to keep everything electronic...but a pen and a post-it is just so much faster sometimes, at meetings, on conference calls, jotting down appointments, phone numbers. Then I would have a book of post-its in my purse and I'm leafing through them....like I know I wrote down that number somewhere! HA!! I decided that maybe having a planner isn't such a bad thing.
I do not plan to decorate it much....but it is helping already and it IS beautiful. Wanting to do process videos and blogging, I'm finding that it definitely takes more planning than a thought. If I want to post something on a Wednesday, I really should start it on Sunday, especially if it's a video, uploading, downloading, editing and uploading again takes time!

What are all of your thoughts? Planner? No Planner?? If you've gone digital...do you miss being able to see further ahead of what's coming? I'm not all that busy, mostly kid stuff, but they are old enough to do things on their own. I am a bit introverted so telling myself when I have to go grocery shopping in advance does help me get in gear to get it done! lol Also, blogging and videos...I've found that *definitely* takes some advanced planning.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2015, 09:50 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Digital planning has never worked for me. I'm paper all the way . . . but then, I'm pushing 60 and kind of old school.

For a dozen or so years, I used a large (18"x 24") desk calendar where I listed my meetings and deadlines. It really helped me be productive to see the entire month at a time.

These days, I use a Day Timer binder for personal notes. Mostly, it's to list birthdays and jot short notes about things I want to remember (ie: Oct. 29, roofers finished tearing off shingles; Oct. 30 roofers replaced bad wood; Oct. 3, roofers covered boards with tarps; Oct. 4, water leaks in kitchen, hallway and craft room.)

I'm really looking forward to starting a bullet journal. The idea is to keep everything in one place but I'll probably still have two or more calendars/notebooks for different things. I'm kind of weird that way. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2015, 03:47 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm paper too. Now I confess to having stuff on my phone...for the purpose of having already-set alarms to remind me it's time to get the younger grandkids ready to go pick up the older ones from school and stuff like that.

But my mind runs to using paper. I'm like you, Jennifer (your name is on your planner, hehe), and having to go look for all those little post-its is a big bother. I have a problem, though, being diligent and consistent in using it. And I want one that works perfectly for me.

I realized earlier this year that I wasn't finding just what I wanted, so I bought a pretty one at the store that would get me through the year. I have looked at every planner I can find out there to see what they put on the pages.

I think I've figured out what I want in a planner now and how I want it to work for me. I love the EC planner, and other similar ones. But practically everything starts the week on Monday. That's a disqualifier for me. It has to start on Sunday.

I found a really cool binder at ARC that I adore. I decided that I like a doodled look so that I can color if I want. I found the arrangement of sections on the pages that I like...and it is very similar to the EC. So, between now and December I plan to make the masters and print them off on slightly heavier paper than printer paper and I'll be ready to go.

I'm with you, Melissa, with having one more binder. I broke down and made a second one and have been using it for a while. It's my shopping one. I have clipboard space for my shopping lists. And inventory and samples of my cardstock, dies, punches, etc, as well as wish lists. It's working pretty well. Don't buy duplicates at any rate!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I went with Erin Condren because I love that I could personalize it with my name (Diane, haha!!) I tried my best electronically...and I'm a tech junkie. iPad, Outlook....the same here. I hate that if there is more than a couple things on one day when I looked at the month, it would not all show on the screen unless I click on the actual day. Not to mention I have to have my iPad or be in front of my computer to see it. This is sitting comfortably on my desk at work and I have a tote/purse, so it fits in there nicely (it's about the size of the mini iPad, but much thicker, of course) and can keep it open on my kitchen counter. I've already been referencing it a lot.

I'm the type...I really need to "mentally prepare" for what's coming. Bdays, anniversaries, trips with friends/family...even grocery shopping. lol It's weird, I know.

I hear you on not being able to find anything....there is no planner that is perfect. At work, I always had a journal type notebook beside me. I'm a brainstormer. The problem is....once I flip the page, I forget about it. So, I'm hoping being able to re-position things and the insert that I made will help with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2015, 03:08 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I'm with you entirely...except for work. I'm a full-time grandma. So my days are all different and all over the map...literally!

I do love your cover on your planner! I'd get one like that if I was going that route. And I like the insert thingy. I'll probably make one for my planner too. I like the way that you can move it from place to place as you need it. Dashboard. That's what it's called! Great concept!

My pages are similar to the EC but not with morning afternoon evening sections. Mine are going to be: weekly list of activities by topic, daily things to do, and appointments. One column for notes and calls, and one space for a major goal for the week.

I just have to make myself use it consistently!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I love the EC planner, and other similar ones. But practically everything starts the week on Monday. That's a disqualifier for me. It has to start on Sunday.
Funny, for me it's the other way round: It has to start on Monday. Every once in a while I see a beautiful calender starting the week on Sunday - that's a disqualifier for me. Otherwise I'm totally confused.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 11:30 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamping me.View Post
Funny, for me it's the other way round: It has to start on Monday. Every once in a while I see a beautiful calender starting the week on Sunday - that's a disqualifier for me. Otherwise I'm totally confused.
^^^ Me too! That's one of the reasons I had so much trouble with Project Life, until I finally gave myself permission to break out of my box! lol I like to see my sat/sun together. Most of the time days are one event.

The insert has been working great! I ended up printing the other side with a light grid and have already used it to do some sketches. Makes me actually look forward to those long boring meetings at work! haha (shhh....don't tell!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I started a bullet journal this week. So far so good. I'm just using a composition notebook I already have to see if this is organization method for me. I am planning on starting some decoration of this next week.

But I have to see writing is key for me. For some reason writing something down seems to reinforce it in my mind. Typing doesn't have the same affect.

Time to sort through my washi to see what I want to use this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2015, 03:17 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I have tried and failed at digital planning many times over the years. I am a paper planner girl with lots of different colored pens. I used an EC planner for 3+ years. This coming year I have switched to a Plum Planner. So far in prepping for next year, I like it a lot better because I was able to chose my weekly layouts, add additional pages, etc. It's also a "tad" smaller than the EC, and the paper is so smooth. Love it, and can't wait to be using it daily next year!
Reply With Quote Likes