Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-02-2022, 05:09 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts
Default How often do you reorganize?

I've noticed that whenever I have something in life to plan out, I seem to work it out by reorganizing some part of my craft space. It might just be a drawer or shifting things on my desk.

Do you keep the same set up or change things up? What encourages you to move things (if you do)?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
wavejumper (07-03-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 06:19 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I try to do it twice a year, usually June/July and December/January. I don't necessarily reorganize everything, but I try to go through and purge a few cagegories of my craft and jewelry making supplies each time. If I organize on a continuing basis, I find that I do more organizing than creating.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by Scrapjanny:
debable (07-08-2022), fl_beachbum (07-03-2022), wavejumper (07-09-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 12:07 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 317 Likes on 203 Posts

When there is need! Usually it is access driven - I get tired of moving or digging through for something and it suddenly becomes easier to purge and/or reconfigure. Interesting topic, Adriana.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by gaylestamps:
fl_beachbum (07-03-2022), pepperann (07-02-2022), pnzimmer (07-06-2022), Ragtop (07-03-2022), wavejumper (07-09-2022)
Old 07-02-2022, 12:12 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Ughh...when I can't get the door open to my craft room? Ha ha--just kidding! I reorganize quite a bit actually. My spare room is my craft room and it is only a 10x10 size and when you factor in my two bookcases and spot for my Cricut Maker...well, space is at a premium. I find when I reorganize it tends to jump start my creative mojo, so that's always a good thing!

Last edited by pepperann; 07-04-2022 at 07:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by pepperann:
fl_beachbum (07-03-2022), smadson (07-06-2022), wavejumper (07-09-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 08:35 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Not by any time schedule! I've got enough other work projects around the house that keep getting postponed, as it is!

It gets done when:
1-When I started acquiring a new type product that necessitated some re-organization to accommodate (i.e. gel plates)
2-When I get into a long-term type of crafting (I just switched to doing Christmas cards primarily, and I want the frequently used materials close at hand.)
3- When I'm watching a TV show that doesn't need my full attention. I like getting two things done a the same time.
4- When some form of storage is just not working for me. I tried one of those spinning acrylic paint bottle racks, and I realized storage in portable acrylic organizers was much more preferable. I also realized I'm not using the metallic effect materials because I have them dumped into a large box.
5-When I acquire a new type of organizer, like a lazy susan. I bought a low Alex chest of drawers at a garage sale yesterday (It rolls under a table - no additional wall space needed!) so I have some major re-organizing going on this weekend. :grin:

I keep a stash of storage containers (i.e. acrylic organizers, empty notebooks, vinyl shoe boxes) in the garage and often make switches.

Last edited by GypsyRoseStamper; 07-03-2022 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: omission
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by GypsyRoseStamper:
debable (07-08-2022), fl_beachbum (07-05-2022), gaylestamps (07-06-2022), smadson (07-06-2022), wavejumper (07-09-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 10:48 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

When a supply outgrows it's current home . :lolo::oops:
-either I need a whole new system or
-I just expand with another box, but then may change up the categories.

When a system just does not work well.

I don't know that I would call it reorganizing, but I rotate stuff for easy access depending what I am into at the moment like Gypsy Rose said.

Space is a problem. I would give a lot to have another whole wall. I only have two in that room. The other is the window and the 4th is a closet and door.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by wavejumper:
gaylestamps (07-06-2022), pepperann (07-04-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 01:09 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Well——

I try not to any more than is necessary. Recently finished a big reorganization after reading about paper fading. I bought wooden file cabinets and MANY file folders and I love it! One thing leads to another and I ended up with a new, bigger desk. I hope I won’t be reorganizing again for while!
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by VeronaSue:
fl_beachbum (07-05-2022), gaylestamps (07-06-2022), pepperann (07-04-2022), wavejumper (07-09-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 05:18 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I have a teeny tiny stamp room so I do not reorganize that often .

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
gaylestamps (07-06-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 12:15 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 808 Likes on 529 Posts

I go here twice a year:

www.sdscrapinn.com

When I go, I take so much stuff that when I get home and it's time to unpack, it's easier then to change things around, reorganize, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by smhtwin:
gaylestamps (07-06-2022), smadson (07-06-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 03:02 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

I don't know that I would call it reorganizing, but I rotate stuff for easy access depending what I am into at the moment like Gypsy Rose said.
I do that, too. Pretty soon it will be time to make the Christmas supplies more accessible.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
gaylestamps (07-06-2022), wavejumper (07-09-2022)
Old 07-05-2022, 03:05 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I have a teeny tiny stamp room so I do not reorganize that often .
I don't have a separate room, but use part of what is supposed to be a formal living room. I think the smaller space encourages me to only keep what I really use, which does make it all easier to manage

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
cheermom (07-07-2022), gaylestamps (07-06-2022), wavejumper (07-09-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 05:37 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Talking Reorganizing

I do this often. I have a 10 x 12 room. It has a full size bed, chest of drawers. I use a 2nd hand sewing desk to work on. It sits in front of a window. That gives the cat access. When she is there I will grab a TV tray. Our new carpet has to be stretched due to the fact it is buckling. I am purging items that I have forgotten. I must reorganize every other week. I will pull out acrylic boxes. I will take whatever out to the garage. I never want to rid anything that I may use later on. We all need look "outside" the box. Any ideas for storage would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2022, 06:41 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,981 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I am always moving things around. I reorganize, and clean, and then I am inspired to craft! Nothing like a clean space to inspire me to start crafting! I have a small room that is crammed full of craft supplies! I have found that if I want work space, I can’t have all those little organizers there. So my dilemma is work space or everything handy? LOL. Another issue is a bad shoulder. I have my
8 1/ 2x11 cardstock in plastic cases. So in order to not have to lift them all the time, they are on top of what could be work space! There are like 7 of those! When I didn’t have a bad shoulder, I had those stacked in the closet. So what was the question? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by smadson:
fl_beachbum (07-06-2022), gaylestamps (07-07-2022), Renata Joyner (07-06-2022), wavejumper (07-09-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 06:57 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Organization is my other hobby. I'm doing it constantly for most of the same reasons as already suggested. Recently, though, I found I was lacking mojo---something that has never happened before. So, I decided to look through my card file of ideas and ended up reorganizing one box that seemed to have gotten out of hand. I'm still in the process now, because it has ended up leading to taking stock of my stamps to make sure they fit the need of the ideas I want to use, or discovering some that I have and don't want/need anymore. Right now it's ideas for baby cards. There was a time when all my friends and relatives were having babies, but I haven't needed a baby card for at least 5 years. I don't foresee needing any in the near future, so I will only keep a couple very versatile stamps and share the others.This kind of thing happens often, but maybe just a drawer or a shelf or a particular embellishment. This sparks my mojo and gets me excited about creating again. Lots of this reorganization goes on in the living room while watching evening TV with my hubby, so I don't dig into my crafting time during the day.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by jeanne3579:
domesticdiva (07-10-2022), fl_beachbum (07-06-2022), smadson (07-06-2022), wavejumper (07-09-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 11:18 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickiebuttsView Post
I do this often. I have a 10 x 12 room. It has a full size bed, chest of drawers. I use a 2nd hand sewing desk to work on. It sits in front of a window. That gives the cat access. When she is there I will grab a TV tray. Our new carpet has to be stretched due to the fact it is buckling. I am purging items that I have forgotten. I must reorganize every other week. I will pull out acrylic boxes. I will take whatever out to the garage. I never want to rid anything that I may use later on. We all need look "outside" the box. Any ideas for storage would be greatly appreciated.
I recommend that you look through this part of the forum which is dedicated to this kind of info. So many ideas over the years!

Mission: Organization Forum at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2022, 10:24 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

If you could tell us what you want to organize, no doubt lots of ideas will roll in! Paper, stamps, dies...what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2022, 06:44 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Good grief. I would like to find a decent system for my dies. I have had them in the Art Bin. I have them in clear folders (on magnetic sheets) now with dies on both sides. The problem is that they are so darn heavy. I have a shelf unit from Ikea. Also, there is a cabinet with glass fronts. I bought the large acrylic drawer system from Michael's. I, have two drawer units from Office Max. I own the Cuttlebug and Big Shot. I am going crazy. I keep downsizing. My stamps are in the Crafter's Companion EZ storage sheets. Ink pads are in an old cassette stand. Embellishments are located in a bin used for photos. Pencils are located in a spinner from Stamper's. Moving everything out before fixing the carpets. I wish someone could magically appear and fix my mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
ChrisO (07-10-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 10:53 AM   #18  

Received 275 Likes on 162 Posts

Quote:

Good grief. I would like to find a decent system for my dies..
I use dollar store baskets which rest on a shelf at eye level. Dies are on magnetic sheets, divided into categories using self-made dividers, such as frames, borders, flowers, alphabets, etc. The baskets are easy to flip through, or I can grab a category in my hand to look through. Much less weight to lift, easy to find what I want. Maybe something like this would work for you.
Attached Thumbnails
How often do you reorganize?-ab74c44a-c09e-4413-bcb8-216b1d057fb3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2022, 01:48 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

For dyes (and embossing folders, stencils and patterns), I use baskets I got at Joann's. The have straight sides and I group my dies (on magnetic sheets slid in clear sleeves) by type and put them in the larger SU plastic stamp boxes. They fit neatly on one shelf and I can easily find what I'm looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
How often do you reorganize?-new-dye-storage-copy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2022, 02:24 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Good grief. I would like to find a decent system for my dies. I have had them in the Art Bin..
I use a combination of the Art Bin magnetic sheets (resting in a small trunk-like box) and what Jeanne and Ozark shared. I keep my most used dies on the art bin sheets (frames, mostly) and the rest sorted by how I tend to look for them (words, nature, etc.) in two baskets. The dies that go with specific stamp sets are stored with those sets. This seems to distribute the weight enough and it's easy for me to know where to look based on how I think.
Hope this helps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2022, 02:35 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Here is my little space. I bought these white bins at Aldi many years ago and I change out my stamps with the holidays. I have all my die cuts in 2 bins and I use these magnet sheets from Home Depot. I have 2 bins that are marked NEW and these are my newest stamps so I remember to use them .
my pics look sideways from this screen but seem to be ok when you click on each one.
Attached Thumbnails
How often do you reorganize?-stamproom1.jpg   How often do you reorganize?-stamproom2.jpg   How often do you reorganize?-stamproom3.jpg   How often do you reorganize?-stamproom4.jpg  

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (07-12-2022)
Old 07-10-2022, 03:25 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

I dont want to hijack Adriana's thread, so Dickiebutts if you would like to start a new thread, we can all chime in. It would also get more answers.

You can just title "need help with organizing in general" and then cut and paste what you wrote up there to get started
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2022, 02:48 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

hijack this one if you want to

Reply With Quote Likes
wavejumper (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 02:50 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I keep new items on my desk so I remember to use them, too. It motivates me to use them (so I can put them away, clutter stresses me) and also keeps me from ordering more!

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by fl_beachbum:
cheermom (07-13-2022), gaylestamps (07-14-2022), wavejumper (07-13-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 11:52 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Well, I am trying to get my mindset turned to reorganizing / purging for two reasons:

1. Part of the flooring in my condo has to be replaced because it was damaged due to the windows leaking. So now my stamps, dies, and other supplies are jammed into the living room area until the flooring is replaced. (windows are still leaking - rather long story!)

2. We are planning on moving mid-October. I will have a larger art studio after we move, but I don't necessarily want to carry everything with me. Purging now is the best option. With purging comes reorganization!
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 07:24 AM   #26  
Inking Addict

Thank you. Carpet is fixed. I have everything back. So, my husband and I are purging again. It does feel good. I have been donating everything what is great shape or slightly used. I don't need 10 snowmen stamps, etc. Have a great time moving.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2022, 03:03 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 301 Likes on 141 Posts

I used to reorganize twice a year until I came across Joshua Becker who said "Owning less is better than organizing more". It struck a cord within me, the organizing stopped, and it kickstarted my journey to unload everything crafty that no longer speaks to who I am right now. Every month, the feeling of lightness grows. Had I known and taken into consideration back then that I and my tastes would drastically change and my way of expressing those changes would evolve, I would have purchased much less and enjoyed each item much more. My crafting time is even better now that I am so very close to having only those items and images precious to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 4 users liked this post by AScrapofKindness:
ChrisO (07-22-2022), fl_beachbum (07-22-2022), Kathi127 (07-26-2022), kazeka (07-25-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 07:36 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

With my upcoming move all I do is feel like I am reorganizing and purging. I am sick of it.

Normally I like to reorganize at the end of the year. That is when I purge and restock my room.

Reply With Quote Likes
RJP111 (07-26-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 07:18 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I am laughing at myself for this post. My answer is every time I walk into the craft room. Seriously. Every.Single.Time!

I take something out, then something else to make room for something. That goes on the floor while the table is in use, then the floor stuff goes to the ironing board. Then the original empty hole is full again with the wrong thing.

It's a thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 5 users liked this post by Mindykid:
Arlene_C (07-31-2022), fl_beachbum (07-25-2022), jeanne3579 (07-24-2022), Karen3000 (07-26-2022), kazeka (07-24-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 10:05 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

You made me laugh, too, because I could have written those very same words.
Reply With Quote Likes