Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #41  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Nothing wrong with getting back to basics.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #42  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Wonder if after all these years I am burned out with cardmaking. I find I don't want to use the big shot, die cuts, or punches.......punches almost seem outdated.
I keep thinking go back to what you like most.....simple stamping, until I made it complicated with brushes, stencils, paints, watercolor techniques etc. Everything is messy.
wow, I'm no fun. Thanks for listening.
Go back to what you enjoy! I went back to more basic cards and enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 04:55 AM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I agree with the others - do what you love! There's room in the world for ALL the different kinds of cards - CAS, super-fussy, abstract, mixed media - you name it! If you don't love all the "stuff", move it along to someone who does and find joy in your craft again!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 05:18 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Make what you love - it doesn't have to be cards - and use what you enjoy. And it's fine to take a break from all of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 06:56 AM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have to say I was going to ask if anybody just tosses any stamp they don't like? Sometimes I think that would be easiest - go through the sets and toss the ones I don't like. I wonder if anybody even buys them at the thrift shop or if they end up getting tossed anyway? Sometimes it is freeing to toss something in the trash and not look back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 07:04 AM   #46  
Gallery Gazer

I can't imagine throwing items in good condition away, whether it's dishes, clothing or stamps.

Our LSS supports a senior center with an active crafts center. Every autumn they hold an open house and we can donate unloved stamps, paper, etc. for the center. They collect other donations for another non-profit too.

Many thrift stores accept craft items. For the thrift shop we donate to, I sort and bundle items in plastic bags, rather than jumbling everything together.

At least there's a chance that someone on a strict budget could buy and have fun with something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

What a great idea to bundle items for your thrift store! Wish I had thought to do that will some of my donations this weekend.

As for people buying stamps at the thrift stores I know for a fact that they do at least in my area. I was there browsing one day and noticed a large quantity of retired SU stamps. I looked but had some of them myself or they weren't my taste but a lady came behind me and was SO excited and gobbled most of them up.

I find my crafting goes in waves of simple to fussy and intricate in the space of even a year. I have taken a break from one type of craft only to get interested in another which sparks an idea for the original type. It's always changing and that's what makes it art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftywitchAZView Post
[snip] I have taken a break from one type of craft only to get interested in another which sparks an idea for the original type. It's always changing and that's what makes it art.
That! :p No boundries, just enjoy whatever rings your chimes.

Years ago an accomplished kiln-formed glass artist/instructor in a difficult workshop gave us each a laminated picture of a maze with a mouse in it, with some of the walls whited out. The caption: "No walls for this mouse!"

I still use it when struggling with doing something "right," not knowing what direction to go, or feeling not good enough.

Recently I painted watercolors on paper - stripes, blobs, blending them or not... no goal. The color and feeling was enough.

Is that less valuable than making and finishing something? No one is going to pay big bucks for a paper box, mini book or card; these items don't pay the mortgage. So why not do something - anything - that's simply fun?

Off my soapbox; I have twinchies to make for a swap, ack!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

Well said Beth. I have been feeling stuck as well since I don't have a deadline or "assignment" as it were. Usually I am involved in multiple swaps so I always have a direction to go in. A lot of the swaps here on SCS seem to have taken a hiatus so I sit looking at my supplies going "now what?" Sometimes just getting a few things out and seeing what happens makes all the difference like you said even if its just for the sake of creating. Good luck on those Twinchies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

It's not too late to join us, Melanie. They're due 8/25. You could do inchies, twinchies or a combo. Linda, our fearless leader, is very flexible. I'm just getting started; it's my first swap since I don't like deadline pressure - but couldn't resist this one. Again, ack! lol

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 07:51 AM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

I would but I have sworn off swaps until after my upcoming Scrapbook retreat. Need to get myself organized, and its a switch in gears as I mentioned as I have been doing Pocket Letters and recently got sucked into the Planner scene as well. I can't even remember the last time I made a card! I will visit the thread though so hopefully you will all post photos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #52  
Watercolor Wizard

Ok. I give up. What is a twinchie? I know what an inch i.e. Is, but not a twinchie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 12:23 PM   #53  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

Twinchie - 2" x 2"

Another option for donating stamps and supplies is a local hospital. I volunteer at 2 local hospitals and both of them have "art carts" that are taken out by volunteers. They offer patients and family members a chance to make a little something. Very popular!

Also, one of the hospitals has a scrapbook group for patients in Physical Rehab. Patients/family members make scrapbooks documenting their progress and also the patients use scrapping as a way to build up their fine motor skills. There's also a scrapbook group for parents who have a baby in the NICU. They make scrapbooks to document their baby's progress. The nurses use the supplies to make big colorful nametags for each baby that are posted near the bassinet/isolette so staff can call each baby by name :-P

If you call a hospital, ask to talk with either their Volunteer Services Department or ask if they have a front desk concierge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,163 Likes on 497 Posts

you Can donating stamps and supplies And short things donate things.
Kids hospitals
Ronald McDonald House
Code Foundation
My church But ask me keep the things a my house so the kids don't tear it up. I bring when Need.
I made cards cancer treatment places
I made cards for older people
And ect
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2016, 04:17 PM   #55  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I would but I have sworn off swaps until after my upcoming Scrapbook retreat. Need to get myself organized, and its a switch in gears as I mentioned as I have been doing Pocket Letters and recently got sucked into the Planner scene as well. I can't even remember the last time I made a card! I will visit the thread though so hopefully you will all post photos.
I started reading about pocket letters, but my brain spun around and I had to stop. : ) I'm sure it's not as confusing as I remember; I'll go back and re-read.

Making twinchies has pushed me, both in terms of a technique I'd wanted to try, and giving my imagination a bit of free rein. It's been good for me (she says after only 1/3 complete, 2/3 to go!). lol

Enjoy your pocket letters and planner. I've been thinking about planners too. I just did a one-time $5.00 planner kit from Studio Calico (where I get my SB kits, not that I SB). But since my calendar is on my iPad/Windows phone/PC, I'm not sure if a planner is for me. They're so neat though!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 12:59 AM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

One thing to mention...please don't forget freecycle.

I started my first "run" of getting into papercrafting by someone offering ATC's. so I made some.

Then, when I moved to Vegas, a post offering scrapbooking items got me into it, AND a new friend (although that was at 2 seperate times, same person).

I am unemployed and disabled. I look *and* post on freecycle, hoping that someone will have things...for me, it's like shopping, especially when you don't have the money, it does "bother" me that i can't shop, and the "gifts" of items can perk me up. ((didn't help that i went through a major pain cycle/depression, and didn't use them last year...but, I am there. To create. just have to get off the computer...*laughs*))

So...please remember those people on freecycle. Who knows...you could be helping a new crafter into a new realm, or could be helping someone who can't afford the materials that they "need". And...even if you think "it's too small to donate on" (i.e. a box of scraps or ephemera)...pass it on...the worst they could do is toss it, the best they could do is use it *or* pass it on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
One other thought about just donating -- if you have a local preschool, or by some chance an elementary school that still does art, they might be thrilled to get some supplies.

I agree with gregzgurl, I don't want to spend a lot of time/effort finding a new home for my stuff. So I give it a shot with friends or maybe a preschool, but really I just want it gone.

When I can't find a quick and easy new home for those last things though, I donate to Goodwill. There's a collection center right by my house so it is super convenient. And I look at it like, hey there's gonna be some crafter in a goodwill store sometime who will be thrilled at her find! Passing along the joy that I no longer get from those things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 01:07 AM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

As for people buying stamps at the thrift stores I know for a fact that they do at least in my area. I was there browsing one day and noticed a large quantity of retired SU stamps. I looked but had some of them myself or they weren't my taste but a lady came behind me and was SO excited and gobbled most of them up.
I wish i had been so lucky, when i go. the most I have found have been some papers (although this time,s omeone had donated 4 sets of specialty disney papers...not what I am into, though). And I found a magazine, that I thought I would tear into for vintage...then when I realized which one it was, I can't do it! (it's the Norman rockwell Saturday Evening Post where he is painting himself). And I bought a book for the vintage paper...but then realized due to bad karma, i can't use it...so wasted money (the rise and fall of the 3d reich)...

But we will see on some of the other stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 01:12 AM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdscrapperView Post
have to say I was going to ask if anybody just tosses any stamp they don't like? Sometimes I think that would be easiest - go through the sets and toss the ones I don't like. I wonder if anybody even buys them at the thrift shop or if they end up getting tossed anyway? Sometimes it is freeing to toss something in the trash and not look back!
At goodwill, at least here in vegas...if it is an item that can't really be sold on it's own, they bag it with other, similar (and sometimes not so similar) items. I did buy 3 bags of "horrible" rubber stamps/wood mount one time, and this last time, a bag of 3 new ribbon, with a disney gift bag, that was a touch bigger than gift card size. They also had baggies of fingernail polish, hotel toiletries, samples (one time, bought a bag full of men's hair gel samples)...if you think it's too small to donate, DONATE. let them make the call. If you think it won't sell...i can guarantee you that someone probably wants/needs it. "Oh, this paper is from the 90's...who would use it"...someone who loved that paper...or who just made a project and ran out of that paper! Or...why would we go to buying vintage magazines/catalogs/etc...what is not good for you...is for someone else!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 01:18 AM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris01View Post
Wonder if after all these years I am burned out with cardmaking. I find I don't want to use the big shot, die cuts, or punches.......punches almost seem outdated.
I keep thinking go back to what you like most.....simple stamping, until I made it complicated with brushes, stencils, paints, watercolor techniques etc. Everything is messy.
wow, I'm no fun. Thanks for listening.
My suggestion would be look at Pinterest, and put in that type of punch/die/etc. See if there's a pic that grabs your attention.

For example...punches. You might be bored with it as a heart...but what about using that heart as a flower, or butterfly? A die might be boring as it is...but would it bring up more interest if it could be used embossing wise, or cutting half-way into a paper, etc?

If you can't answer "yes" to those...put them into a box. Maybe even date it. If after a couple of months...if you dont miss it...pass it on, maybe. If you take it off the shelf, it's out of sight, out of mind...might get you to focus on the things that you do like, or the others that you "don't"...and then can visualize things to do with those!

And then, if you think "oh, i could x with that heart"...go retrieve it. And if it's 4 years past donation...then maybe it's time to buy it again, because it has that love again. (not sure if that made sense)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 05:28 AM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

I just wanted to chime back in for a quick second to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread - LOTS of great thoughts! I also wanted to address the "I don't love this now, but maybe I will again someday" thought process...

I know that I have been one of the worst offenders on that front - with clothes and other things, not just craft-y supplies, but I'm OVER IT! When we decided to move across country with ONLY what fit in the car (except a few boxes of books that we shipped) there was some waking up and snapping to, I can tell ya! How much of what was sold/given away do I miss two years later? Can't even tell you what it was, for the most part... If you can't even remember it, you obviously didn't love it enough to justify keeping it, right?

Chances are, if you don't love it RIGHT NOW and won't use it RIGHT NOW, the odds of "some day" miraculously falling in love with it and using it are (in my experience) slim to none. Do yourself and someone else a favor by freeing up YOUR space and filling in a hole in THEIRS! Win/win!

If, "some day" you want that thing, go a-lookin' for someone who doesn't and reverse the deal - win/win again!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #61  
Watercolor Wizard

Default Freecycle

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittynView Post
One thing to mention...please don't forget freecycle.

I started my first "run" of getting into papercrafting by someone offering ATC's. so I made some.

Then, when I moved to Vegas, a post offering scrapbooking items got me into it, AND a new friend (although that was at 2 seperate times, same person).

I am unemployed and disabled. I look *and* post on freecycle, hoping that someone will have things...for me, it's like shopping, especially when you don't have the money, it does "bother" me that i can't shop, and the "gifts" of items can perk me up. ((didn't help that i went through a major pain cycle/depression, and didn't use them last year...but, I am there. To create. just have to get off the computer...*laughs*))

So...please remember those people on freecycle. Who knows...you could be helping a new crafter into a new realm, or could be helping someone who can't afford the materials that they "need". And...even if you think "it's too small to donate on" (i.e. a box of scraps or ephemera)...pass it on...the worst they could do is toss it, the best they could do is use it *or* pass it on.
I am a huge fan of Freecycle! I actually got two of those wooden cassette holders to store ink pads on Fc.
When I'm getting rid of things, it just makes me happy to know that someone who really wants it is getting it. I've given away lots of stuff on Fc. What no one claims goes to either National Children's Center or Purple Heart.

One thing I'll say is to always be gracious when you get something.
Several years ago, I decided to get rid of some scrapbook paper on there. Not surprisingly, I got lots of replies. I told them I was going to split it in half so two people could benefit. One of the ladies emailed me that what I gave her wasn't worth the trip to my house.
First of all, the idea of Freecycle is that you advertise in your community so no one is traveling a long way. (I live in a densely populated area, and put my area on there.) If it was too far, she shouldn't have responded. Besides that, I told her what she was getting, and it was free! How can you complain about something you got for free? Off my soapbox.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

I do understand when you feel that someone felt "ripped off" getting something through freecycle. I have heard that a lot. "it's not good enough" or "people only give away junk"...I don't know how much paper you gave...but if you think about it...from the sound of it, I assume it was 10 pages or more to each. 10 pages x....79cents? at joanne's...that's a good price. I have known people who would drive an hour to spend $10, cuz it was on sale.

Besides, you know what you did, and if it was good to you. theoretically, you brightened a person's day. If they felt that way...it must have been worse.

She was probably a person who would see a cricut on sale for 25cents...and try to talk the price down! *laughs*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #63  
Gallery Gazer

My take is it's part of the entitlement syndrome that seems more and more prevalent.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

She was probably a person who would see a cricut on sale for 25cents...and try to talk the price down! *laughs*
Forgot "at a yard sale"...but i guess the meaning was the same either way. *laughs*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #65  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Forgot "at a yard sale"...but i guess the meaning was the same either way. *laughs*
Yes, wherever she would be it would be the same.

OT, but reminds me of a Yelp review about a ballpark. The reviewer was vehement that you should park in the VIP section since security is light, so you won't be towed, and how you can buy cheap seats and sneak into a better section and won't be caught. He was YELLING not to be a chump - to get more than what you pay for. :rolleyes:

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #66  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I just wanted to chime back in for a quick second to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread - LOTS of great thoughts! I also wanted to address the "I don't love this now, but maybe I will again someday" thought process...

I know that I have been one of the worst offenders on that front - with clothes and other things, not just craft-y supplies, but I'm OVER IT! When we decided to move across country with ONLY what fit in the car (except a few boxes of books that we shipped) there was some waking up and snapping to, I can tell ya! How much of what was sold/given away do I miss two years later? Can't even tell you what it was, for the most part... If you can't even remember it, you obviously didn't love it enough to justify keeping it, right?

Chances are, if you don't love it RIGHT NOW and won't use it RIGHT NOW, the odds of "some day" miraculously falling in love with it and using it are (in my experience) slim to none. Do yourself and someone else a favor by freeing up YOUR space and filling in a hole in THEIRS! Win/win!

If, "some day" you want that thing, go a-lookin' for someone who doesn't and reverse the deal - win/win again!
This, way, way more than the "I spent money on it" thing, is my biggest purging issue. Because I am exactly the kind of person who drops things for a while then picks them back up later. Or who decides what to make based on what randomness I have on hand. I have too much to be comfortable, too much to even find what I'm looking for half the time, but the success of having just the perfect thing sometimes is hard to get past.

And that was my a-ha moment today. I will probably give away something awesome that I will wish I hadn't later and think wistfully about from time to time. And then I will move on with my day and figure something else out. I am giving myself permission to screw it up. Making a few wrong decisions is better than no decisions and all the clutter.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 PM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrslairdView Post
Making a few wrong decisions is better than no decisions and all the clutter.
Amen, and AMEN!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 01:26 PM   #68  
Rubber Obsessor

well, I took 2 boxes of purged items to the grade school this week, with instructions that what they couldn't use, they could give to the high school's rummage sale next summer. I've got a 3rd box going and I haven't even started on the paper or stamps. In fact, I haven't even started digging! I should take a vacation day and stay in my room purging all day long!! I watched a few youtube videos on purging scrapbook supplies and there are a few interesting, thought-provoking ones out there. For me, I need to get them out of my house right away so I don't go digging through. I purged earlier this year with the thought of a rummage sale, and before you know it, they call came back into my scrapbook room! Out of sight - out of mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #69  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My son and daughter- in - law came by last Saturday night and helped me purge more stuff. I think we spent about 3 hours filling bags and creating piles of papers. It seemed to me that I own a magic craft room - even though I kept filling up bags and creating huge piles of paper, more stuff seemed to fill the room!

I still have lots of stuff, but I feel very happy gradually taking back my craft room to something useful with. I'm happy that my daughter in can use the stuff for her school classroom - or for herself , sell it, or throw it in the garbage if she sees fit to do so.

Purging is good feeling, but very exhausting as I do it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 10:00 AM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

I took a trunk load of purged items to the school over my lunch. What a wonderful feeling. They were excited to get them and I was excited to give them. I just want to keep on purging. There are so many wonderful ideas out there and for years I'd watch or read about them and ordered up the stuff to do it. You guessed it, never happened. Now I'm hoping that some teachers out there will grab them and put them to good use. And I decided I'm not going to feel bad about it. I'm going to move on and hopefully get back to loving my hobby and doing it my way. Unemcumbered by loads of stuff I am not going to use. Yeah me!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,163 Likes on 497 Posts

If anyone wanted to see my wish please pm email....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2016, 02:35 PM   #72  
Matboard Maniac

Alright. I am posting this thank you here, because this is what brought it into being.

I don't know how Arlene_C was able to see into the future, but she sent me a package with perfect timing. She sent me a surprise package, due to the post that I wrote on this thread. I was touched by her offer...but had NO idea how much it would mean...

it basically turned out to be a "get well" gift, that she doesn't know yet. Yesterday, i had to go into the ER, again, for heart palpitations, and not feeling like I was saying thoughts right, and pain in my left arm...they think it was a TIA (mini-stroke), but don't see "proof" of it. So I spent the night. I thought the package was coming yesterday (turned out that was a walmart package with 2 colors of tim holtz distress pens that were on clearance), but came in today's mail, so was nice to come home, put my pillows on the bed, pet the kitties (and explain that No, i didn't go cheat on them with a rottweiler, but they brought one to the hospital as a comfort animal), then opened the package.

Wow...this package was amazing! I over-use the word amazing a lot...but this was. I am flabbergasted by what she sent...These should jump-start the process....

2 packages of stamps from itty bitty by unity (2 flowers, 2 sayings, beautiful!)
a block with 4 punches, cat/ghost/pumpkin/spider
2 pink/green patches, for either scrapbooking pages, or maybe denim jackets. (laughs)
2 pink mini-clipboards
1 bag of ribbon, and some lace.
another spool of orange ribbon with white polkadots, perfect for Halloween
1 rubber stamp of a woman in a pumpkin patch with a cat (an elf?)
1 rubber stamp, wood mount, of a girl (doll?) holding a sunflower
another spool of ribbon, with funky geometric shapes
2 cuttlebug folders (one looks like a quilt blocks of snowflakes, and one is like wheat field)
Epoxy word stickers
countless sayings 1 by stampin' up (a set of "love" stamps)
and a few pages that can be put into a scrap journal, or used in a scrapbook as the journaling section.

This brightened my day so much...I was happy to get home, but was looking forward to bed. Now...when I wake up, I might (finally) hit that craft table, and get something out! My son's b-day was monday, his 30th, so it might be good to get his birthday card done. *laughs*

Again, thank you, Arlene! I am so shocked at your generosity, and surprised at the timing, and just overall in awe, at the people on this forum, and how we all help each other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

It was my pleasure, Mary. Glad it cheered you up. I have so much more to pass on to folks - maybe next week someone else will get a package?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #74  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 893 Likes on 566 Posts

Mary that was perfect to come home to!!! When I moved from a townhouse to an apartment... my craft friend got first pick... then she helped me make a pack for the school and the daycare... they were VERY happy!! My last ' purge' went with this same friend to a special needs class!! Bonus points... but I had never heard of free cycle till now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

Definitely look into 301 Moved Permanently ... it's international. It's so that you can give away what you don't need, and can ask for things you do. some have some restrictions (like the main Las Vegas one, you can only ask for 5 things a month, and can't ask for "new" items or high-quality (i.e. can't ask for a scooter, or a Xbox latest, etc...could ask for a game boy, probably, that kind of thing), but the North Las Vegas doesn't have those restrictions. Check out your latest one...it is a very handy resource to have. And better than going into the garbage (and although thrift stores are good...a lot of items don't get sold/etc, and get sold in bulk to other things...i don't know the stories, but sometimes it's better to try to help a person or family straight on, then perhaps pass it on to a thrift agency).

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think I would do local cause postage can be huge... I think my son's gf is doing this...and my son recycled all if my stuff to his place when I moved!!! Lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #77  
Gallery Gazer

The thrift shop we use donates 100% of profits after salaries to dog/cat rescues and a medical center. It's light and airy, and they display and price things really well, so they move. For example, they get tons of sets of dishes and large baskets, so the sets are placed in baskets with cellophane and a ribbon.

We drive a distance because we believe in their cause. Doing a little research (profit or nonprofit, a jumbled mess or nice, etc.) can make a difference when parting with your cool stuff.

When I was doing a huge declutter and would waffle, I'd think of the dogs and cats that could be helped and I'd let it go.

I'm reluctant to use a service that would bring people to my home. Not saying my attitude is good, just saying be careful out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 03:42 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

That is my worry ... if I do an exchange with someone I don't know I always go with my son... well is is 27 now..safety first
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #79  
Matboard Maniac

sorry, i just saw that it didn't show the website. it's freecycle dot org. and when I said it's international, I didn't mean that you would be exchanging internationally...most metropolitan cities/areas have a group of their own. If you are in a smaller city, it would be the next-largest size one.

I understand about having strangers come to your home...but it's up to you how you set it. You can meet them at the local mcd's or grocery store parking lot, you could have them come to your work, you can leave it out on your doorstep for them (would suggest that you find out what time they would come by, like a 2 hour window, and leave it out)...one thing that they suggest NOT to do is to post "first come first grab at 123 main street"...#1 - it's posting out to everyone, not just one person, and #2 - people will go through it, and leave a mess a lot of times.

Not trying to change people's minds of where you donate...just telling about freecycle, since it has helped me a lot, at times when I have needed it. *smiles*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2016, 03:52 AM   #80  
Gallery Gazer

Plus advertising first come first serve is an invitation to case out your house or other houses.

kittyn I hope you're feeling much better - what a scare! And lovely about the surprise package!
Reply With Quote Likes