Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #201  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Barbara Jay -
Thank you so much for your explanation. The links worked perfectly. I can't believe how much work it takes to get our stamps safe.

mcw519
M Carolyn W

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #202  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjlee717View Post
Nice!! Love the price. The ones from Amazon won't fit into the Fridge Binz. I wonder if you can use the WRMK Fuse tool to cut off extra width. It's more work, but for that price it may be worth it. Will need to think about it. Thanks for sharing!
Brenda.... I bought these and they are the exact size of the avery elle!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2015, 11:20 AM   #203  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjoy71View Post
Brenda.... I bought these and they are the exact size of the avery elle!!
Thanks, Jen! I have the ones from Avery Elle and MFT. I haven't had a chance to look that the Amazon ones closely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #204  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjlee717View Post
Thanks, Jen! I have the ones from Avery Elle and MFT. I haven't had a chance to look that the Amazon ones closely.
Youre welcome!! I cant tell the difference between my Avery elle pockets and the ones from Amazon.. and sooooooo much cheaper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2015, 09:47 AM   #205  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default MSE warning

I am in the process of moving all of my stamps to safe storage. I have found that my My Sentiments Exactly stamps were in bad shape. Many of my other clear stamps seem to be doing ok, but the MSE stamps were extremely sticky and two of them had tears in them and one ripped in two. I thought I would share my experience so if you have any of these stamps you might want to make it a priority to move them into safe storage immediately.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #206  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
It was a lot of putzing to get this stamp storage system set up , but I am very happy with it. It is the best system I have had.

All the stamps are in one place and filed by category. I can quickly flip through them to find what I want .
Before this system I had some in Univenture binders; some in a photo box and a few in a shoe box . I had them stored by the company that made them . Now they are stored by category.
The previous way made it difficult to find what I wanted and easy to forget a stamp set that I had .
Barbara, how did you categorize your stamps? I am in the process of organizing my stamps to store them into storage pockets but am having a hard time deciding on what categories to use! Especially the sets that I feel could go into more than one category.

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine-Class of 2012!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM   #207  
Hardware Hotshot

Here is a list of the categories I have in my stamp storage box -Works for me

Birthdays
Borders & Edges
Butterflies & Birds
Christmas
Doilies & Lace
Fans & Stripes
Fishing
Flowers & Fruit
Flourishes & Corners
Frames & Tags
Halloween
Misc
Sentiments
Fits Spellbinders
Sympathy & Pets
Tilda & Edwin
Trees & Foliage
Sugar Nellie
Whimsey
Backgrounds

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2015, 01:33 PM   #208  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you, Barbara! I'm going to be borrowing most of your list!

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine-Class of 2012!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 05:21 AM   #209  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow, thank you ladies... this is such a great thread! I'm still think of myself as a newbie when it comes to stamping, storage, and more!

One question... unmounted rubber stamps... do they need to be mounted on ez-mount? I have tack n peel and thought i could store them in the baseball card collector sheets if I don't mount them. Is that a bad idea?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2015, 05:31 AM   #210  
Crimping Master

It is a matter of personal preference. Many people stamp with bare rubber and some sort of cushioned stamping surface such as a thick fun foam, or a magazine. The Tack N Peel also has a little cushion. You could stamp with an unmounted stamp and then mount it and decide what works best for you. I think either way works great, but for me, the unmounted takes a little getting used to. I prefer some kind of foam, but really I think it is because I learned to stamp with foam mounted stamps. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #211  
Glitter Queen

I use unmounted rubber stamps all of the time, because I like to buy unmounted rubber sheets-it's a great way to save money. I cut out the images on the sheets and then coat the backs with a solution of 1/2 Aleene's Tack it over and over and 1/2 water. Otherwise it's much too sticky. I've never used EZ mount because I've been doing it this way for the past 13 years, and back then I'd never heard of EZ mount. For me I prefer it this way for several reasons. It's less costly, and saves storage space, and time too.

After the stamps have dried I put them on 81/2 x 11 Dura-Lar sheets and then slide them into an archival page protector along with the index sheet with the stamp images on it that came with it. When I stamp I like to use a light cushion sheet under the stamp, or a magazine under it. It's a lot less expensive to do this under all of the stamps than put EZ mount under each and ever stamp.

Debbie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #212  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebinMdView Post
I use unmounted rubber stamps all of the time, because I like to buy unmounted rubber sheets-it's a great way to save money. I cut out the images on the sheets and then coat the backs with a solution of 1/2 Aleene's Tack it over and over and 1/2 water. Otherwise it's much too sticky. I've never used EZ mount because I've been doing it this way for the past 13 years, and back then I'd never heard of EZ mount. For me I prefer it this way for several reasons. It's less costly, and saves storage space, and time too.

After the stamps have dried I put them on 81/2 x 11 Dura-Lar sheets and then slide them into an archival page protector along with the index sheet with the stamp images on it that came with it. When I stamp I like to use a light cushion sheet under the stamp, or a magazine under it. It's a lot less expensive to do this under all of the stamps than put EZ mount under each and ever stamp.

Debbie
Why do I feel like I have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what to do with my stamps?!!!

I guess I am going to have to try figure out which stamps I need to change...

Whew, what a job!!!

Good luck all AND many thanks to everyone that have put so much time and research into this.

Carol xoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #213  
Cardstock Collector

Default stamps on acetate

After reading this thread I got really worried! Sooo, I sent out several inquiries to a stamp companies Here are two answers so far:

CS Manager, Jan 22, 13:55:
Hi Mary,

Thank you for your email. I have no idea why anyone would caution against using the acetate sheets for stamp storage. We have never had a problem. Maybe the stamps they are referring to are not made with photo polymer, maybe they are made with a different material, I just don't know. We have stamps from the year we started and they are completely fine. If stamps were affected by the acetate sheet, the manufacturer would not take the risk of using this material in the manufacturing of the stamp sets. If you have any additional questions or need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you so much, Mary, I hope you are having a fantastic day!!

Take care,

Julie Heskamp
Customer Service
Paper trey Ink

another answer
Hi Mary,
I have never heard that before and I have been using the acetate sheets for years. We also include a Binder sheet as an alternate method of storage. But that is also coated with acetate. So I am stumped.

Thank you for contacting Gina K. Designs. We appreciate your business!

Truly,
Gina K.

Gina K. Designs, LLC
5401 S. 9th Street
Milwaukee, WI 53221

In conclusion, I guess I will just stop worrying If some stamps go bad it might not be good quality stamps or too much light or high temps or karma! I guess I'll just have to buy more, oh darn! :>) I hope this is of some help, which is my intention here because I certainly take the care of my expensive stamps seriously! I absolutely LOVE this site where I come for all of my questions and problems...you gals are priceless to me. I bought the wonderful MISTI on account of reading on this site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 06:47 AM   #214  
Crimping Master

All of my unmounted stamps were stored in exactly the same fashion. Some are fine, and a few have been ruined, or are heading that direction. Whatever the reason for the difference I have been taking precautions to protect my stamps by using laminated panels and Mylar. I consider my stamps an investment and I want to be able to use them for as long as I want to use them. I don't trust companies that say they wouldn't manufacture something that would harm stamps. We all know there are many companies that are about the bottom line and once you have made the purchase they really don't care about their stamps or customers any longer.

Purchasing new stamps is always fun, but Murphy's Law dictates that my favorite ones will end up being the ones that get ruined and I don't want that to happen. I am sticking to the better safe than sorry rule.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 07:08 AM   #215  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 454 Likes on 306 Posts

Well...I would trust Gina K...only thing is, she may not have ever had or heard of a problem, so that would be why she would say that. I do think if she found out it was a problem she would tell us though. There may not be a problem with her stamps, cause they are a better stamp...but some of the cheaper ones may have a problem with some materials. I don't know...we can only do what we can do, and hope for the best. :-))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #216  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I don't trust companies that say they wouldn't manufacture something that would harm stamps. We all know there are many companies that are about the bottom line and once you have made the purchase they really don't care about their stamps or customers any longer.

Purchasing new stamps is always fun, but Murphy's Law dictates that my favorite ones will end up being the ones that get ruined and I don't want that to happen. I am sticking to the better safe than sorry rule.
Agreed. So many of the companies didn't know that harsh chemical harmed our stamp blocks until it was too late. No company can protect against how many different ways we use/abuse our stamps until they become aware of the problem. I have some stamps that were made by excellent companies but because I didn't use them they have degraded, stuck themselves to the original packaging, and other issues. IMHO it better to make we do what works for us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 07:17 PM   #217  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the same answer from Julie Heskamp at PTI also. Their company is nine years old and they are still selling some of the originals but that doesn't mean that they haven't been restocking all along. As a precaution I have moved all my PTI stamps out of the tapeline jewel cases and put them on duralar and stuck the labels that come with the stamps on the other side. I use Avery Elle envelopes. Now I am wondering if that little sheet of saran wrap stuff they come packaged with is safe. I put that on the other side of my stamps mounted on the duralar so they don't stick to the envelopes. I don't suppose anyone knows what that is made from. ??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #218  
Hardware Hotshot

I bought some stamps sets from a well know company that advertised their stamps are made in the USA from the finest polymer .

I had two sets of those stamps that were gummy and stuck to the acetate carrier sheet they came on. I tried to gently and slowly remove them but 3 stamps tore in the process. They were stored black file box so they were never exposed to light . And I have special clear stamp cleaner that I use on the few clear stamps I have .

I transferred all my stamps ( clear and rubber) to the Dura-lar system and now only buy rubber stamps . Maybe some sets would have been OK , but I was not taking any chances. The sheets of Dura-lar and Avery Elle pockets are cheap compared to the cost of the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #219  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel like I have to do something. It's quite an investment. Now I have to move on to all my Lawn Fawn, Hero Arts, MFT, etc. and mount onto duralar. Good/sad to know about the gooiness of the polymers. That pretty well tells me I might as well switch my other brands as well if I want them to survive. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 08:07 AM   #220  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

Anyone know where I can find the 1 1/4" wide (wood black size) clear DVD style cases besides from Stampin' Up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #221  
Mad Swapper

If you put your stamps on durlar and then place them in a sleeve, do you put another pc of duralar on top? or are stamps ok if they touch the Avery Elle sleeves ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2016, 04:58 PM   #222  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ppofctView Post
If you put your stamps on durlar and then place them in a sleeve, do you put another pc of duralar on top? or are stamps ok if they touch the Avery Elle sleeves ?
It should be okay if they touch, but I find it easier to slide stamps in and out of the sleeves if they have a "cover sheet", so I laminate half sheets of cardstock in a full pouch, cut the two halves apart after laminating, and use the side with no cardstock in it for the cover sheet. This is especially helpful for photopolymer stamps because they stick to EVERYTHING! With the cover sheet, they can't get hung up on the sleeve...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #223  
Mad Swapper

Just transferred my first set of PTI stamps onto a laminated sheet - went to place it in the avery elle sleeve and it was catching. I put another laminated sheet on top like you recommended and it slid right in. Thanks Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #224  
cms
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soooo......since I'm always trying to reuse/repurpose stuff, I have a question. Do you think it'd be harmful to store cling stamps (clear and EZ Mount) on sheets of glossy photo paper? I have a lot from years ago that I got for free. I saw (somewhere online) where someone did this but I don't know if the poster was concerned or knew about possible damage to the stamps. If it's safe, it'd certainly be quick and easy to use the 4x6 size and slip them in an Avery Elle pocket. Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Jimmie Johnson #48 fan! KS Jayhawk alumni!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-10-2016, 05:37 PM   #225  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I tried a glossy paper once upon a time and it was fond of sticking to the stamps, so it tore frequently. I wouldn't recommend it

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #226  
Rubber Obsessor

I was wondering if I mount my stamps on dura lar - front and back- and put them in the Avery Elle envelope will it matter if I keep the images sheet with the paper from in the original packaging behind it so I know what the images are? Can I store the accompanying dies in their original packaging in the envelope also? I am trying to figure out if I include the original packaging in the Avery Elle envelope but surround my stamps in Dura lar, will it emit some chemical that will still damage the stamp?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #227  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by campbell96View Post
I was wondering if I mount my stamps on dura lar - front and back- and put them in the Avery Elle envelope will it matter if I keep the images sheet with the paper from in the original packaging behind it so I know what the images are? Can I store the accompanying dies in their original packaging in the envelope also? I am trying to figure out if I include the original packaging in the Avery Elle envelope but surround my stamps in Dura lar, will it emit some chemical that will still damage the stamp?
I have my clear stamps on Dura Lar front and back with the original image sheet behind the Dura-Lar and so far no problems . I put the stamps in the same order as they were on the original image sheet so I can identify them .
I only moved the stamps to the new Dura-lar System about a year ago so maybe someone who has had theirs on longer can reply.
Reply With Quote Likes