Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Punch Storage - solved EZ Squeeze storage

I am so proud! I just made this punch rack to fit on the wall behind the craft/exercise/guestroom door. It is cafe rods from Walmart, attached to two pine boards (one 16"x1"x36" and one 12"x1"x28, with a 1 x 3 shelf on top). Then I screwed the boards to 2 studs in the wall. This way I wil only have 4 holes to fill if I ever take them down. I learned on the second one to make the board a bit shorter than the space (4" each side), so I can extend the cafe rods past the brackets and have extra deep storage space on either side for stuff the won't fit the rods.

I am particularly stoked about figuring out how to store my Fiskar EX Squeeze punches - they were jumbled in a drawer and too thick to fit in the rods. GRUNDTAL S-hooks from IKEA hold the handle perfectly, and they could be angled slightly and pushed closer together to fit more on a rail. This way I can see the punch shape facing me and not have to fish through them. Then I figured out how to make custom s-hooks from some 12 gauge copper wire I had lying around (you can buy it by the foot at most home stores). I had a finish hammer whose handle fit the BYGEL hook almost exactly, so I used that as a jig and hammered it a bit to "work harden" the wire. Now I can make custom hooks any size and length I want. Made a ribbon holder hanging below with 3 copper wire hooks and a dowel. And now my embossing gun is exactly where I need it, instead of in a drawer.

Pics in my gallery - my effort to link them does not look successful. Can anyone tell me where to find info on how to attach image to a post? - I searched forums and looks in tutes but can't find anything.

Last edited by karjor; 01-12-2012 at 08:06 PM.. Reason: spelling correct IKEA name
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

AWESOME!!!!!!!

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Great job on the whole thing, and kudos to you for creativity and problem-solving + ingenuity in making your own s-hooks, etc.!

As far as linking pics (thumbnails) to a post, just click on "Go advanced" under the Quick Reply box and it gives you a lot more options! Scroll down the page a bit and you'll see "Manage Attachments" - that's where you link up pics. Click on that button and it opens a dialog box where you can browse for and upload the pics you want. You can attach other types of files, too - pdf and word documents, etc.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

love it!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for looking, and for the tips. Here is what the home-made s-hooks look like - and I can practice attaching an image.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Punch Storage - solved EZ Squeeze storage-photo-6.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjorView Post
Thanks for looking, and for the tips. Here is what the home-made s-hooks look like - and I can practice attaching an image.
Hooray! You figured out attachments! Thanks for the pic - I may have to make some hooks for my space. Right now my easy squeeze punches (I only have six) are in a bucket on a shelf, and I hate taking up precious shelf space like that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just noticed that the IKEA hooks are GRUNDTAL on receipt, not BYGEL. I edited the original post to fix, but in case someone is going to buy them, wanted to point that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Great idea. You are quite talented to come up with this. Also thanks for the pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes