Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craft Room vs Studio

This has always intrigued me. Even on the sewing Forums there are very strong opinions on the difference between a "sewing room" and a "Studio". I see the same references here on SCS. Here is my take on it:

A "Crafting area" = is a small space dedicated to your crafting that is otherwise in a multi-purpose or commonly used area. For example a corner in your dining room. Your supplies are compactly organized and can be quickly concealed or moved away when necessary.

A "Craft Room" = is one room ( spare bedroom, section of the basement, attic...etc) that is entirely dedicated to your crafting hobby. Your supplies are organized, but because the room has only one function, you can leave your supplies, and current projects out and come back later.

A "Crafting Studio" - is to my mind a fuzzy definition - but this is what comes to my mind when I think "Studio". And this could apply to anything - crafting, sewing, painting, knitting, etc.... A "Studio" would be for someone that probably makes an income from their craft. In the case of sewing - a client might come for a dress fitting. In the case of paper-crafting it might be for someone that mass produces cards for sale or is on a design team or actually has a small home business selling their wares.

I have a nicely tricked out "sewing room" - but it is in my son's old bedroom. So - no studio there

I have a terrific "crafting area" but it takes up a corner of our spare bedroom - that still has a bed in it, which is occasionally used by my daughter and grandson. So - no studio there.

Do any of you have a "STUDIO"? And if so, what makes it a studio???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 04:48 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

I have a Craft corner in the basement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 04:50 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a big ol' mess.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sewnmachine....I have what I refer to as a computer/craft studio. It is the bedroom of my apartment that is completely devoted to my computer and crafting and nothing else is done in that room (no, there is no bed or furniture resembling a bedroom).

I consider it a studio (no I am not running a business with my computer or crafts) because this is where I work with anything computer or craft related. In my case, it is a room that is off limits to visitors of our home. Even my puppy is not allowed in the room unless I am with him. It is my room to work in and not worry about picking up after a session. It is not decorative, but is truly functional. No matchy-matchy furniture or decorations of that nature. It is storage for all my crafting tools and supplies. These things are all out and visible so they are ready to be used on a whim.

I feel your descriptions are rather accurate as you write them. But as with everything else, each person may have a different description to fit them.

I am a serious crafter (my computer is used in my crafting also) and spend the majority of my day in my craft studio. It is a room well used.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 04:57 AM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I fall under the "crafting area" of your descriptions (which, btw, are appropriate, I think). All my crap is stored neatly in a pantry type cabinet in the corner of my dining room. When I'm ready, I pull out my basic supplies and work at my dining room table.
Sure, it makes for a lot of pizza nights and grilled cheese in the living room but it's what I've got. :-)

My grandparents had 11 children in a 3 bedroom house so as they all flew the nest, one by one, eventually there was a spare room. (Only one, though because by the time their last baby left, it became my room and eventually, they sold the house before I was old enough to buy it. lol) Anyway, my grandmother had my grandfather turn the smallest bedroom into a "sewing room". It was a tiny room and so, so, so cramped! lol But he built her tons of storage, a huge built in desk, etc. There was also a pull out sofa in there. I have so many childhood memories of sitting on that sofa watching General Hospital or People's Court with my grandma while she sewed away. Oh, and another funny thing - there was a closet in the sewing room and it was WAY over-stuffed and every time you needed to get something from it, you'd open the door and fabric, batting and all kinds of crap would fall out of it. lol It was really a safety hazard! lol

Sorry for rambling but I haven't heard the term "sewing room" in a long time and it brought me back. Grandma is getting older now and currently in the hospital - it's so nice to remember that time we had together during my childhood.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
I have a big ol' mess.
Rotfl!! I'm with you on that one! I have one end of our master bedroom. So just an area for now. Maybe I can convince DH to sleep on the pullout couch so I can have the whole room? LMAO!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I have a big ol' mess.

Name:  sHa_rofl.gif
Views: 2621
Size:  9.6 KB
Omygosh so do I and it is a whole room! Thanks for the laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

I have a hard time distinguishing between craft room and studio as well. Sort of like the difference between a crafter and an artist. Somehow "artist" and "studio" implies a more professional designation. I no longer have a space for arts and crafts, but when I did I called it my "art room" rather than a studio. Guess it took some of the pressure off being "good enough" to call myself an artist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:28 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

I call mine a studio. Dunno why, just do.

Mine is a large room (16x22) that is solely for my crafting. It us on the main floor of the house. It has tons of natural light. It is not used for storage or anything else. No one is allowed in without my permission. And the door locks. If I want to hold a crop or a class or a workshop I can.

I guess since I was a Su demo I thought studio was more appropriate. But honestly I don't care what it's called so long as it's ALL MINE LOL!

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #10  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

I didn't know it matters so I call my area both.
actually it is called at different times:
the craft room
the studio
the stamp room
mom's retreat
the hideaway
and yes I have to agree with Greendragon it has been refered to by dh as the mess.

I can't say I have ever seen a debate on this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:38 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I have a big ol' mess.
A lady who speaks the truth! I love it : ) My area? A small corner of our family room that is in need of a good cleaning/organizing. But....at least I know that what I am looking for is SOMEWHERE in the corner ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine is a big ole mess too. In fact, if you're in my room and you ask, "Where's the trash can?" I will say, "You're in it."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

My DH had been referring to it as my cr@p area! It does rhyme with craft ;)

Starting on March 15th a contractor will be ripping out some built-ins that are circa 1960 (our house is from 1949) and be putting in a counter and upper and lower cabinets. Since baby #2 is on the way I can't use a spot in bedroom #3 (we rarely have guests since my entire family lives in KC and I live in Milwaukee so we usually visit there) for my sewing anymore.

So I'll have a true space built for my sewing and stamping. I can't wait!!!!! I'm super excited to have a place for everything so I can put everything in its place. One of my best friends is visiting next month for my big stampin event but we'll have some time for her to give me a hand organzing (she's a born organizer... some might call it OCD but hey I get an organized area out of it).

Now unfortunately I still have to share the area with DH since his computer is in there too but I'm happy to have my built area and not a crazy hodge podge of unhelpful storage solutions.

So to the OP I guess I don't really have a name but craftstation seems to fit since it's sewing and stamping (quilting and scrapbooking).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a whole room, too. Plus most of the library. And when I want to actually make a card, I have to use the kitchen table. :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I call mine my craft room/scrap room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I call mine the beadroom. Just cuz I mostly beaded when we moved and I got the spare bedroom! Then I started stamping... and now it is mostly a paper mess. But still the beadroom. The niblings (nieces and nephews) always hope to be invited into the beadroom, mostly to make paperdolls but sometimes cards.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:11 AM   #17  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
Mine is a big ole mess too. In fact, if you're in my room and you ask, "Where's the trash can?" I will say, "You're in it."
well that certainly isn't where you video stamp tv!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mama2oliviamaeView Post
I fall under the "crafting area" of your descriptions (which, btw, are appropriate, I think). All my crap is stored neatly in a pantry type cabinet in the corner of my dining room. When I'm ready, I pull out my basic supplies and work at my dining room table.
Sure, it makes for a lot of pizza nights and grilled cheese in the living room but it's what I've got. :-)

My grandparents had 11 children in a 3 bedroom house so as they all flew the nest, one by one, eventually there was a spare room. (Only one, though because by the time their last baby left, it became my room and eventually, they sold the house before I was old enough to buy it. lol) Anyway, my grandmother had my grandfather turn the smallest bedroom into a "sewing room". It was a tiny room and so, so, so cramped! lol But he built her tons of storage, a huge built in desk, etc. There was also a pull out sofa in there. I have so many childhood memories of sitting on that sofa watching General Hospital or People's Court with my grandma while she sewed away. Oh, and another funny thing - there was a closet in the sewing room and it was WAY over-stuffed and every time you needed to get something from it, you'd open the door and fabric, batting and all kinds of crap would fall out of it. lol It was really a safety hazard! lol

Sorry for rambling but I haven't heard the term "sewing room" in a long time and it brought me back. Grandma is getting older now and currently in the hospital - it's so nice to remember that time we had together during my childhood.

:mrgreen::mrgreen: Tell your grandma that she isn't alone in having a closet that is a safety hazard. My closet is filled to over-flowing with fabric that just HAD to have. Fabric that I will USE SOMEDAY. Well, someday has come and gone - I've decided I won't live long enough to use what I have - but by golly if I want it - I've got it in there somewhere.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 AM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
well that certainly isn't where you video stamp tv!
You have no idea what's on the floor.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Craft room and Studio are the same thing to me, I have a room...that is a DISASTER area, I call it my Stamping Room not "craft" because I don't feel like I am a "crafter"

I suppose I could call it my Studio if I wanted to, it is after all my room to call whatever I want ;) lol...

Here's the official word:
Studio:
n. pl. stu�di�os
1. An artist's workroom.
2. A photographer's establishment.
3. An establishment where an art is taught or studied: a dance studio.
a. A room, building, or group of buildings where movies, television shows, or radio programs are produced.
b. A room or building where tapes and records are produced.
5. A company that produces films.
6. A studio apartment.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post

I watch Stamp TV - and what you have definitely qualifies as a "Studio". I think it would make a very motivating video if you would someday give us a tour of your studio - er - trash can. I would love to see the room you design in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

I have a whole room, too. Plus most of the library. And when I want to actually make a card, I have to use the kitchen table. :oops:
LOVE this :mrgreen:
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellesartView Post
I have a hard time distinguishing between craft room and studio as well. Sort of like the difference between a crafter and an artist. Somehow "artist" and "studio" implies a more professional designation. I no longer have a space for arts and crafts, but when I did I called it my "art room" rather than a studio. Guess it took some of the pressure off being "good enough" to call myself an artist.
I have to agree with you. Yes - for whatever reason - studio fits nicely with artist. That's just my association.

But I also have other very loosely defined word associations:

Artist = talent
Crafter = skill

Here's how my logic goes:

An artist has talent in envisioning something from nothing, PLUS has the skill to execute it. Example - a musical composer can "hear" the sonata , write the sonata, AND perform the sonata. A dress designer can "see" the creation PLUS has the skill to actually put it together.

A Crafter has extraordinary ability to sew, play the piano, ..... but probably lacks the inherent ability to write the orchestral score of music, or design the evening gown.

I think those are probably extreme examples, because as card/scrapbook makers we can "see" the final product in our minds eye - and have the skill to put it together.

But then, that creates another question - is paper crafting an Art or a Craft?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:37 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

"my room" or "stamp room" and it's a bedroom that I use for my office (I'm a consultant and work mainly from home) but the majority of the room is dedicated to stamping. Last year I completed a make-over thinking I would be more organized...bwahaaaa!!!

I stopped hoarding and it's getting better but when I'm in the zone who has time to clean.

DH says that he's heard it's going to be declared a hazmat site and I expect to see the guys in white suits show up any day now.

DH is a photographer and he has the other spare bedroom and we call it a studio - funny how we make that difference. When I see people that have room for other's to stamp, I think "studio", don't know why, I just do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

I have a Craft room. When I think of a Studio, I think of a studio apartment, something you could live in. A studio would have it's own bathroom, sink, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 06:50 AM   #26  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have a dedicated wall in the family room, plus the den closet...so no room, studio here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

I fall under the area designation. I get the back chunk of our living room, have a gate to keep the kids out and can work on stuff and listen to tv or talk to DH. Of course there is a little bit of space dedicated to other stuff, books mostly, but it works well for me. For me, like most, "studio" sounds more professional, but is also something I associate more with photographers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #28  
Mad Swapper

I have a craft room/computer room/class room, in my house. When we were looking at houses before we moved the two main things we looked at were a big kitchen and a room that I could us just for my cardmaking. We home school our kids so it is nice having there desk set up in my craft room so they can be doing there work while I make cards and I am closer to help them out when they need it. I think that any where you can find space to work on your hobbies is a sanity area, no matter how big or small of an area, at least that is how I feel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 07:25 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I have a big ol' mess.
LOL!!! Me too!

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

I have a room and I call it my office/craft room. I guess I can call it a studio since I do photography and graphic work but I dunno, since it's a big mess it just doesn't seem right to call it a studio. I always imagined a studio to be neat and tidy

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post

But then, that creates another question - is paper crafting an Art or a Craft?
I can't tell you how happy this thread is making me right now. I love reading the different opinions and considering my own opinion. This is the delicious details of life & language that make it enjoyable! And I love that we can share, debate and laugh at it all at the same time.

O.k., my zen horse just ran away with me! :lol::oops:

I call my area the 'cubby hole,' and it definitely fits in with the craft room rather than studio. In fact, if people walk into the cubby hole they usually trip on the paper scraps or the heat gun power cord. lol

I think you're right on about a studio having a professional aspect to it...either a spot for customers or for employees. But I'm also fine with someone calling their room or area (or cubby hole!) a 'studio' too.

As far as papercrafting being an art or a craft....I have a friend who is an art teacher that defines 'art' as an interpretation of the world around us. Using that definition then I'd say papercrafting can have the potential to be an art, definitely!

LOL, boy this thread got me talking. Thanks for the great question and all the great answers so far!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a good sized room dedicated to stamping. I call it my stamp room. Hubby calls it the crap room. When I got my new Jeep he ordered personalized plates for me. He ordered " I SCRAP" When they came he told me they made a mistake on the spacing and it said "IS CRAP". I about fell on the floor with relief when he said just kidding. Anyway, stamp room or crap room...he is quick to point out to visitors that "this is the most expensive room in the house." I make good money on what I sell though and I give back a lot by my card donations to the troops, the church youth group for fund raisers and my church bookstore to name a few. What ever you call it...it is all mine and that is all I care about.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:06 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Once upon a time I used to refer to my sewing room as my FIBER ARTS STUDIO - because I design and make art quilts. When family and friends would come to visit, I would take them upstairs to see my "FIBER ARTS STUDIO" - without exception they would look at me and ask --------- " Isn't this Ben's old bedroom? Wow, you sure have alot of stuff in here " My fiber arts studio was immediately down-graded back to a sewing room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What fun to read - great thread!

I'm retired with grown kids and many grandchildren. I have a "spare" bedroom which I call my "craft room."

It contains a leather couch (which I'm storing for my dd), some wire cube shelving units, a chest of drawers and a wall of inexpensive bookcases.

All my crafting supplies are kept there, organized pretty well for the most part. I'm the sort of person who likes to have everything pretty visible. If I can't see it, I forget I have it. So bookcases and open storage work well for me. My paper trimmer and Score Pal are kept leaning in front of the bookcases. My Cuttlebug and folders are in a sturdy bankers file box.

Now, here's the funny part. I could easily have a table in this room, and spend time in there creating. But I don't like the idea of being off by myself and shut up in a room down the hall.

When I have a project in mind, I go into my craft room, gather up everything I need, and make several trips to bring it to a game table in my living room, which is where I make things.

I'm willing to tote things back and forth because I love being in my living room in the center of the house. It's a lovely room, has high ceilings, two little dogs asleep on the sofa, and a sweet hubby wandering by occasionally on his way to the kitchen for a snack. I usually have the TV on in the background to be sure the world in still spinning.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama

Last edited by buggainok; 03-04-2010 at 09:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a small craft area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 364 Likes on 266 Posts

I call mine my hobby room..it houses all my stamping gear, my computer, and my sewing machine. I love having one room that can just be dedicated to my hobbies and not have to worry about putting anything away..I just close the door if company is expected. I have to admit though that the sewing machine is used more these days for sewing on my cards ..haven't made an actual garment in years but have done some craft projects which required sewing and the occasional hemming or curtain. I may have to start calling it something else though cuz in a week or two as my niece is painting it for me....perhaps it will emerge as a studio or an atelier (no, too hard to pronounce that one)...Anyway I love having my own space.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

I have a room in the basement, I refer to it as "my room." I consider it a craft room, not a studio. Studio to me is for a more professional, serious artist type room. Mine is more a mess, kind of tossed together type room. I am just happy to have it. Being able to leave it in any condition I want is great, no worry about kids getting into stuff or company seeing it. Not to mention it has a door with a lock on it, so I can go close the door and lock out the world if it has been one of those days that I need to get away from the kids and DH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

I just recently took over the NEVER used dining room. We're not THAT kind of family that eats in a formal dining room and right now we don't have a lot of time or $$ to entertain so we don't have company over for dinner either.. So my hubby and I felt good about taking that over...

Now here's the cool thing. Ever since I set up my "studio" (i don't call it that in real life, but I should...) I have been getting calls from friends and acquaintances that know I craft to consult on various projects. (the most recent was a post-it note holder for a Red Hat party...) Anyway!! I have a spare table that I can pull out for my guest and we sit together, brainstorm, "shop" around my "store" for supplies and ideas and it feels like I have this little business going on.. So I guess I SHOULD call my space a "Studio" from now on...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

My DH says our whole home is my stamping room! I must admit, my supplies do have a knack of creeping out of their designated room and into the rest of the house....

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

I built on a 20' X 24' addition on to my house just for a craft room. I called it a craft room but my friends all call it "The Studio". We do love to all gather here and play. Scraping, stamping, beading, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes