Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-30-2021, 09:49 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Cardstock Storage

I need help with cardstock storage, mostly 12x12 scraps. I have letter size full sheets on a shelf in a sorter - so I have the colors grouped. Full 12x12 are in the plastic storage containers. I have 3 rolling carts in here (the small ones from Michaels) 2 are non-crafts I could move 1 or both out of here.

12x12 cardstock scraps and smaller

They are on the end of our "school" table / cart. I want to put our school art stuff, books etc in this instead. I will still have the plastic things available to use. But I am wondering if someone has their scraps in a cart instead?

How do. you store your larger cardstock scraps?

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 09-02-2021 at 03:45 PM.. Reason: reduced pic size to fit forum page
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2021, 04:40 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

I tend to keep my scraps with the uncut sheets but at the front of the bag or file, so that I can see at a glance if I have scraps to use rather than cut into a new sheet. I used to keep scraps in a separate box, but I found that I hardly ever remembered to get the box out to look through, and it was all too much hard work matching the scraps up with the rest of my stock. Like you, I group my uncut sheets by colour. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
PinkKitty (09-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 05:11 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I keep my letter size sheets in hanging file folders - any scraps over 1/4 sheet I keep in the front of the folder. 1/4 sheet and smaller scraps are in a DVD binder pocket, also tucked into the folder.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
debable (09-07-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 07:01 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Scraps for me is less than....2/3 or half a piece.

I keep all my scraps in one plastic box under my desk. That way I just pull it out and grab what I need. If the box is getting too full it is time to make scrap based cards or pre-cut sentiments. I suggest the same kind of plastic thing you have your 12 x 12 in now and just put all your scraps in it. Looks like you have room for one more where they are. Depends on how much you have. Keep it easy How organized do you want to be? I am only half in my box-I paper clipped some things together. But I am fine with dump it out if I have to and just sweep it back in too. I don't want to spend a lot of time on scraps even though I am a little *ahem* anal about organizing lol

As to where you put that batch of folders to make more space for the school group...can that rope thing stand on it's own? Could go on a shelf, on the floor since they are protected under shelving or a table...or find a box you can put them in if you want to keep the rope thing on the cart. Btw-that is cool looking
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2021, 03:49 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I have two separate areas for scraps. The smallest ones - a mount for a sentiment or a piece for a small die-cut - are kept in a shallow box, divided down the middle, by colour. Then I have two magazine files for bigger/longer scraps, also by colour, with a separate poly bag per colour: anything small but larger than the previous storage or long and thin, both up to the width of the magazine file, will qualify. I keep my main papers in hanging files: smaller or long tall scraps just fall to the bottom of the storage and never get used, plus they take up valuable space which could be used for full- or part-sheets. I absolutely hate waste, so always go to these two places if I need just a small piece for mounting or die-cutting - the magazine file items often finish up in the shallow box if they get partly used!

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2021, 05:49 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

I keep all my 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock and DSP together alphabetically by color in hanging files in 3 filing cabinets. The scraps are in heavy duty plastic folders with a pocket to hold the old computer disks. I will link when I find the company. tiny pieces go in the pocket until I have time to punch them into embellishments. I keep the pocket in front of the full size cardstock.

Now working on a way to get my 6x6 paper pads sorted and incorporated in the above system so I can actually use it. I am usually very monochromatic so having DSP and cardstock together should help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2021, 05:49 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I put scrapes in one box...on my shelf. When box gets too full, I sort out the stuff I will not use.
Box is what I refer to as a stationary box, 9 x 12, 3 1/2 " deep. Nice patterned box I purchased from Staples...I have several of them stacked up that hold various items. One each for 8.5x11 plain
colored cardstock, patterned paper, watercolor paper, inspiration file, collage papers, journal ephemera. Each box is either plain color or different pattern with metal labels in front. Looks colorful on the shelf and easy to pull off and put on my desk.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2021, 06:11 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is the link for the storage pockets I use for my scraps

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal...50780/16898614
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 338 Likes on 212 Posts

Ondinesgirl - Do the scraps slip out of the CD rom pocket?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2021, 09:31 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Could go on a shelf, on the floor since they are protected under shelving or a table...or find a box you can put them in if you want to keep the rope thing on the cart. Btw-that is cool looking
Thanks for the inspiration - I could add another container below it for my scraps!!! I put our art stuff already in the one above…

Or I look for 2 identical things to hang LOL. I pulled them out and they are standing in the bucket on the floor behind me right now!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I put my scraps in a box with hanging files - one file for each solid color, and one file for each patterned paper with a color or colors that matches the preceding solid color file. I go to these scrap files before I start cutting up new cardstock or patterned papers.

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
VeronaSue (09-11-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampnnatterView Post
I tend to keep my scraps with the uncut sheets but at the front of the bag or file, so that I can see at a glance if I have scraps to use rather than cut into a new sheet.
Same here. All my scraps, whether cardstick, patterned paper, 12x12 etc are all stored with the full sheets.
My cardstock is stored in page protectors, my patterned paper (not 12x12) are stored in ikea freezer bags) and my q2x12s are stored in 12" vinyl sleeves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2021, 03:31 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am glad you are finding a solution

Hey this is a creative space. You dont HAVE to match. It just has to work...esp for kids. They could care less LOL. I have very little that matches in my space. My space is very utilitarian. I get plastic boxes (just did again) from Ace hardware LOL. Re-used cookie tins etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momof9BlessingsView Post
Thanks for the inspiration - I could add another container below it for my scraps!!! I put our art stuff already in the one above…

Or I look for 2 identical things to hang LOL. I pulled them out and they are standing in the bucket on the floor behind me right now!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2021, 02:54 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

My cardstock is stored in hanging file folders, the scraps are stored with them in paper protectors (bought years ago at Staples, Martha Stewart, there is a flap on the open end so fully enclosed, nothing falls out). I label the page protectors and I pull that out before I cut into a new piece. I am also ruthless about recycling small pieces of paper I deem unusable. My 12x12 dsp is stored in plastic envelopes I recently purchased from Scrapbook.com, scraps stored with them, love how it is working. I also label the envelopes (most of my papers are SU). I plan on purchasing an Ikea Kallax, to hold cardstock and other supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Just letting you know that this informative thread is being moved to our Mission Organization forum!

Carry on! ;)

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 09-02-2021 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: added link to Mission Organization forum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2021, 09:09 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi. All good ideas and I've tried pretty much all of them. What I finally settled on was putting all my scraps in some type of paper protector, whether it's a page protector or card envelopes, etc. Those packets of scraps are placed on the top bin of my Ikea cart (I have 2) and they are close by and convenient. If I need a different color, I go to my card stash. My card stash is arranged by color in the larger magazine holders (they hold 12x12 paper very well). I mix the 12x12 and letter size paper together in the same color family. I don't have room to separate out all my plain cardstock. I keep like colors in something called work order envelopes (a Jennifer McGuire recommendation) and they work great. I may put larger scraps in the envelope, but mostly the scraps stay in my cart. My design paper is cut up in normal card sizes and I have those arranged by prominent color design or specific design, e.g., dots, lines, etc. Those papers are stored in the three drawer units (12x12 size) and placed in my rather ancient entertainment center where the TV would be. I have four of those stacked. Trust me, I have redone my scrap room many times and my paper storage to numerous to count. This is what works for me now. Next year may be different. When I look at my display of colored paper I am happy. While it's not in rainbow order, it is way more organized than it used to be and that is the important thing. Keep us posted on what you do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2021, 05:06 PM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Accordion File

I have used the plastic 13 pocket Accordion File that has a cover that is held down with a button & elastic band. ROYGBIV, black, brown, gray, tan, & white. It works for me.

I have a friend who chooses to keep none of her solid scraps, no matter what size. She sells CTMH & has enough of the full sheets. I guess that could be called job security to earning monthly sales quotas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2021, 04:56 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recipe Box

I cut my scraps into A2 size and store in a recipe box. That has eliminated the space-greedy accordion file that I once used, and it is portable enough to store on a shelf. Works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2021, 05:17 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Default Cardstock storage

I have mine in a Totally Tiffany binder sorted by size and color. I purchased the zippered binder and insert sheets that have a full size pocket on one side and smaller pockets on the other side of one sheet. I love this system. I’m able to flip to the color I need without digging through piles of scraps. I can also grab and go with it very easily when going to weekend crops.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-19-2021, 09:32 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have my 8 1/2x11 paper and my 12x12 paper in labeled folders in separate rolling carts. In front of each folder, I have scraps in clear sheet protectors that you would use in a notebook. Keeps all my scraps separate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2023, 02:56 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

It's a bit late to reply, but I'm so happy to find this thread because it was so hard for me to create a space for all my art and school stuff, thank you all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2023, 09:07 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Agree with the guy above, that's so a helpful thread. My study place is always messy, especially because of its size. But thanks to the tips here, I hope to fix this situation. Honestly, as a student, I don't have enough time to keep it clean for the long term, but I think thnaks to the time I'll get by the sources which are help me with my study tasks (view here) and if I'll remove the most of stuff from the surfaces - it might look much better. Even my mom decided to stop arguing with me on this point, but I understand that it's a problem by myself. How can you study or create some stamps without a place for them...

Last edited by PoshgirlPuss; 04-02-2023 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2023, 11:55 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoshgirlPussView Post
Agree with the guy above, that's so a helpful thread. My study place is always messy, especially because of its size. But thanks to the tips here, I hope to fix this situation. Honestly, as a student, I don't have enough time to keep it clean for the long term, but I think if I'll remove the most of stuff from the surfaces - it might look much better. Even my mom decided to stop arguing with me on this point, but I understand that it's a problem by myself. How can you study or create some stamps without a place for them...
Welcome! So glad to see new people posting. When you find time to create, please share work in the gallery. I love looking through the gallery when I have time. Kudos to you for continuing your education and having a hobby in the process.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2023, 11:58 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,714 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AphesisView Post
It's a bit late to reply, but I'm so happy to find this thread because it was so hard for me to create a space for all my art and school stuff, thank you all!
Welcome! Glad you are finding helpful information. When you have time to create, please share photos of your work in the gallery. I love looking through the gallery as I have time. Awesome that you are continuing your education and keeping a hobby going at the same time.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2023, 07:30 AM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I keep scraps of DSP with their full sized fellows. For solids, I have an 8.5 X 11 page protector for each (pink)ROYGBIV color and one for white, cream, brown and black. These sit in a little basket right under my desk so when I need a strip, backing piece for a sentiment or something small for a punch or die cut, it is close at hand.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes