Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking ABC Craft Cave Dwellers Unite!

Is your crafting area in the attic, basement or a closet? Are you limited by the space that is available to you? Do you feel your space is not perfect? Do you look at some of the other craft rooms that are posted and start to drool? If you've answered "yup" to one or more of these questions then you know how difficult it is to post photos of your craft cave.

I've hesitated to post photos of my basement craft cave here because of all the gorgeous one's I've looked at and coveted but I'm going to come out of the closet and admit ... I'm a Basement Craft Cave Dweller and HERE is my Craft Cave.

A couple of questions for those who are also Crafting Cave Dwellers ... what do you do to bring in more light? Are you limited by electrical outlets? How do you keep warm/cool? What do you do about humidity/dust/critters? What other obstacles interfere with your crafting? (Husbands don't count) Please share your creative storage solutions in tight spaces.

I had a craft cave at our old home as well and one day I went down and found little colored footprints all over my craft bench. The mice got into my ink pads and left little mousey footprints everywhere. Instead of getting mad I ended up loving it and wished I could have taken the work bench, with it's little footprints, with us when we moved.

Please feel comfortable in posting photos of your Attic, Basement or Closet - Not-so perfect-but-loved-by-you Craft Cave. I think it would encourage those of us who hesitate in sharing
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 03:51 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

OMG I love it!!!! I love that shelving unit your DH and FIL built for your stamps!!! You are the queen of the craft cave!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2012, 04:39 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That space is great! My area shares a room with my sewing machine and table, ironing board, clear boxes and drawers of needlework threads, craft related books and magazines, computer desk, copy machine, misc boxes and leftover rolls of carpet! And best of all, the "door" is an old red bedspread and the room doesn't have a window. Guess that makes it a cave after all!

edited to add: About 10 years ago we put in a large solar tube in the ceiling so it's only cave-like at night.

Last edited by Cartermrc; 01-30-2012 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I loved the guided tour round your cave! Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! I LOVE IT! And I love, love, love the string of lights, too!

I do have a craft room, but it's not big or fancy...and it also doubles as my office and quasi den. (I watch Netflix on my computer in my craft room)

Last month, I was in a "poor me" mood. I was complaining to my mother about being the only person I knew who still had Formica counters in my kitchen and a wardrobe made mostly of thrift-store clothing. I was also bemoaning the fact that my entire house is furnished with second-hand (or even third- or fourth-hand) furniture. And you know what she said? "Lucky You! You didn't have to go in debt to decorate your home and clothe your body."

I had to think on what she said a few days. But I eventually realized that she's right. I am very, very lucky to have what I have, including my craft room. Things don't have to be matchy-matchy pretty, state-of-the-art, or brand new to be useful. So, to all of you have repurposed your basement, attic, enclosed porch, closet or even a crowded multi-purpose bedroom, I say: HOORAY! GOOD FOR YOU FOR MAKING USE OF WHAT YOU HAVE!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

Love your room, mine was in my attic for a long time. Now I have a small bedroom.

Gerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Your craft cave looks like a very fun place! I like that you have so many bargain finds and repurposed items and I love the story of the little mouse prints.

My space isn't really a cave since there's a large window, but it is a 14'x14' room with a window, large radiator, five doors (old house!), and our farm office so my wall space is VERY limited. But as others have shared, I am just so happy to have a place to craft with my daughters and pursue this hobby that I love! Thanks for reminding me to be grateful -- much more fun than envy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

What a fabulous awesome 'cave'. Love how you repurposed things. I love going to garage sales and finding things to reuse in my home. (Though I have to say that my mother was queen of repurposing things.) I have many items in my craft space that had other uses prior to me acquiring them. I do not feel that I need to spend money on all matching storage. (I would rather spend the money on scrapbooking tools and supplies.) To me, the mismatched items make me feel cozy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:45 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d

Last edited by flash&rusty; 02-02-2012 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: deleted post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Thought I would share pictures of my craft cave:

ABC Craft Cave Dwellers Unite!-craft-cave-overview.jpg ABC Craft Cave Dwellers Unite!-craft-cave-supplies-organization.jpg ABC Craft Cave Dwellers Unite!-craft-cave-overflow-stuff.jpg ABC Craft Cave Dwellers Unite!-craft-cave-paper.jpg ABC Craft Cave Dwellers Unite!-craft-cave-inspiration-station.jpg

Behind my working area is a large living-room sized space that has the 2 couches (flowered one you see, and a plaid one) and the LaZBoy chair (with the teddy bear on it), as well as my son's hockey tree holding his equipment, a hockey net with 8 sticks, my daughter's treadmill, and a guitar and amp. To the right of the station is an air hockey table.

My DH and I have such great plans for this space, but after 18 years of it being this way, I am not very hopeful that it will ever get finished! At this stage, my DD is probably poised to move out in about 5 or 6 years, so I think I might just wait until that happens and take over her room! The only thing that I really want down there now is a bathroom - I hate having to run upstairs to use the facilities. I can't even refill my aqua painters or rinse my brushes/stamps.

I am going to take some hints from card stock queen and hit the thrift stores to find some sheets/tablecloths to tack up on the wall and cover that pink insulation and falling down vapour barrier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post

I do have a craft room, but it's not big or fancy...and it also doubles as my office and quasi den. (I watch Netflix on my computer in my craft room)

Last month, I was in a "poor me" mood. I was complaining to my mother about being the only person I knew who still had Formica counters in my kitchen and a wardrobe made mostly of thrift-store clothing. I was also bemoaning the fact that my entire house is furnished with second-hand (or even third- or fourth-hand) furniture. And you know what she said? "Lucky You! You didn't have to go in debt to decorate your home and clothe your body."

I had to think on what she said a few days. But I eventually realized that she's right. I am very, very lucky to have what I have, including my craft room. Things don't have to be matchy-matchy pretty, state-of-the-art, or brand new to be useful. So, to all of you have repurposed your basement, attic, enclosed porch, closet or even a crowded multi-purpose bedroom, I say: HOORAY! GOOD FOR YOU FOR MAKING USE OF WHAT YOU HAVE!!
Am going to post a video of my craft area, not exactly ABC, but pretty small corner in the family room. Nothing "matches" it is not an area that will win design awards...but I really love it! Feel cozy and familiar in there : ) Also almost all of our furniture is second hand, and I love it! My husband has to fight with me to get "new" furniture (as I develop a very unhealthy attachment to the old stuff )

Your Mom is so right, we don't buy unless we can pay for something up front or within a certain timeline (ie, no interest for six months or longer, always pay off before the time is up). While we do have a small amount of debt for the most part we get by on what my hubby brings home each month, not always easy but we sleep at night : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 08:11 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Love your space, my space is soooo small (video will be posted later today), but functional, and I have grow attached to it.....we actually have a spare room and I do not want to move : ) Why? Because I like being in the family room instead of off by myself : ) and the area I have works for me, ie, small, everything within reach and I am used to it.

You did a fantastic job with your area, what fun and inspiration you must have when you are there : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I love the things you have done with limited room! It just goes to show you you don't have to invest thousands of dollars to be comfortable and creative. Most importantly to me is they look comfortable. You can't be creative if you are not comfortable.

As far as "second hand furniture" is concerned I prefer it, they just don't make the furniture to be comfortable and most importantly last anymore. Besides we can always refinish, paint, or reappster and still be ahead. Plus it lets us think out of the box on ways of doing things which is the fun part for me when designing something.

My youngest is learning this. My oldest looks at it and says it's easier to go buy until I explain the difference in cost.

I look forward to seeing more rooms, maybe I'll get some ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #14  
Inking Addict

Thanks for all the replies everyone and for posting some photos. I agree, with everything everyone has said and I'm glad there are more folks out there who are of the same mind. Although I'd love to have most of the newly made craft areas, I'm comfortable with what I have and happy to have a space dedicated to what I enjoy. I have a list of wishes ... warmer cave in the winter, dryer cave in the summer, a quieter furnace (it's a big bad loud boy) and better lighting but I'm comfortable with what I have and sharing my space with friends.

I'd love to see more photos and see how creative you all are
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #15  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Thought I would share pictures of my craft cave:

Attachment 240562 Attachment 240563 Attachment 240564 Attachment 240565 Attachment 240566

Behind my working area is a large living-room sized space that has the 2 couches (flowered one you see, and a plaid one) and the LaZBoy chair (with the teddy bear on it), as well as my son's hockey tree holding his equipment, a hockey net with 8 sticks, my daughter's treadmill, and a guitar and amp. To the right of the station is an air hockey table.

My DH and I have such great plans for this space, but after 18 years of it being this way, I am not very hopeful that it will ever get finished! At this stage, my DD is probably poised to move out in about 5 or 6 years, so I think I might just wait until that happens and take over her room! The only thing that I really want down there now is a bathroom - I hate having to run upstairs to use the facilities. I can't even refill my aqua painters or rinse my brushes/stamps.

I am going to take some hints from card stock queen and hit the thrift stores to find some sheets/tablecloths to tack up on the wall and cover that pink insulation and falling down vapour barrier.

I'm sorry for the loss of your mom :( I lost my mom when I was 26. I was carrying my first child and she was only 50. That was 20 years ago. I have photos of her in my craft cave too.

I love your cave. The exposed insulation actually makes your room "feel warm" to me. I love the comfy furniture too. Makes me want to come visit, curl up on the couch with a cuppa and spend time scrapping with you. It's a very inviting space. Thanks for posting photos!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post

Melissa, Good for you for chewing on your mothers wisdom, and seeing the light.
Too many people see only what they don't have and are unhappy. I have been guilty of this myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

loved the guided tour! Im sending you blog address to my friend who had a very large , tidy workspace , moved to a old house on 7 acres and now is in the basement.
My own space is a room crowded with bookcases (that actually hold books) an a catch all for other junk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Default Updated cave

I took some advice from you, and spent about $62 purchasing white bed sheets and covered up most of the walls. Remember this:

ABC Craft Cave Dwellers Unite!-craft-cave-overview.jpg

Now it looks like this:
ABC Craft Cave Dwellers Unite!-craft-cave-sheets-003.jpg

The picture of the parrot is actually a beautiful silkscreened piece of fabric work I purchased on my honeymoon, which hasn't seen the light of day in over 23 years. I love the fact that I have finally put it up!! I eventually want to frame it (which was the intention 23 years ago!), but for now, I find it so cheerful. The white sheets and colourful parrot really brighten up the space, and make it much more pleasant to work in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

The sheets make all the difference in the world -- great update for your space

Gerry
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Quote:

I took some advice from you, and spent about $62 purchasing white bed sheets and covered up most of the walls. Remember this:

Attachment 242099

Now it looks like this:
Attachment 242100

The picture of the parrot is actually a beautiful silkscreened piece of fabric work I purchased on my honeymoon, which hasn't seen the light of day in over 23 years. I love the fact that I have finally put it up!! I eventually want to frame it (which was the intention 23 years ago!), but for now, I find it so cheerful. The white sheets and colourful parrot really brighten up the space, and make it much more pleasant to work in.

I love it! What a difference, wow! I love your silkscreened parrot too. You must rename your room to ....... "The Parrot Lounge" :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, what a difference!! To be honest in looking at your newest picture I would get more done and be more comfortable in your area than one of the expensive ones. It just begs to have you create something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 02:38 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Love ur rooms ladies they are so crafty I could lose myself in them crafting away
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by tspoland407View Post
Wow, what a difference!! To be honest in looking at your newest picture I would get more done and be more comfortable in your area than one of the expensive ones. It just begs to have you create something.
Actually, since I added the sheets, I find myself much more creative. I don't know if it is the parrot picture, or the fact that I am more comfortabe and happier. What I do notice is that the white walls reflect light much better, and it is much brighter down there now - which could also contribute to better creativity. Whatever it is though, I am so glad I did it! Even if we actually do get around to finishing the walls with real drywall, I told my husband that the sheets won't be wasted, as we now have a bunch of drop cloths already pre-bought for painting. I was still trying to rationalize the purchase as a household purchase instead of a crafting purchase, but he didn't buy it!

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my space - makes me feel better knowing that my little corner of the basement is not just a "hole in the wall"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Attachment 242099

Now it looks like this:
Attachment 242100
What a transformation! It looks great. Isn't it amazing how one little thing can really change the look and feel of a room. The sheets were a great idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Actually, since I added the sheets, I find myself much more creative. I don't know if it is the parrot picture, or the fact that I am more comfortabe and happier. What I do notice is that the white walls reflect light much better, and it is much brighter down there now - which could also contribute to better creativity. Whatever it is though, I am so glad I did it! Even if we actually do get around to finishing the walls with real drywall, I told my husband that the sheets won't be wasted, as we now have a bunch of drop cloths already pre-bought for painting. I was still trying to rationalize the purchase as a household purchase instead of a crafting purchase, but he didn't buy it!

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my space - makes me feel better knowing that my little corner of the basement is not just a "hole in the wall"!
I like the way you think and I fully support that being a household purchase and not a craft purchase ... you're multi-purposing those items LOL!

My room actually can be called a hole in the wall or a hole in the ceiling LOL! The ceiling above my work area has exposed rafters due to a leaking patio door from the dining room which is above my craft cave. When I look up I see some bats of pink insulation and some empty space where the wet stuff was removed. We only need about two grocery bags of insulation but they only sell a bag the size of a small car at the Home Depot! DH is hoping to find someone with some extra that could spare us a few pieces.

The ceiling was not gyprocked but had a type of ceiling tile on it. I'd never be able to find a match for it because it is original to the house from the 1960s. Even though the room is small, it would still be quite pricy to replace the tiles in the whole room - I'd rather spend that money on craft supplies. I'm inspired by your sheeting technique. This might be just the camouflage I could do for the small area I have exposed but that will be after the insulation is put back and sealed with plastic.

My floor is only a plywood floor over cement. If I find laminate or even stick tiles, I might cover that up, or I might just paint the plywood. There was carpeting in the room (again from the 1960s/70s). We had two more water incidents before the leaking patio door. The first was when my a sensor in my washer that would tell it when to stop filling stopped working and it ran and overflowed for almost an hour. What a mess! The second was when our hot water heater failed and flooded the same area. These were within months of each other.

Unbeknownst to us after we got the carpets all dried both times, we could smell an occasional musty smell but couldn't figure out where it was coming from. We discovered a spongy spot in one of the rooms and found that the basement cement floor was not completely level, and water pooled and sat underneath the subfloor in my craft room and "wreck room". The water caused the wood to rot. That's how I got a new subfloor in my craft room and all kinds of cursing from DH LOL! Between the floor and the ceiling ... it would probably cost around $500 to restore this all properly ... but I'll spend it on craft supplies for now and make do with my temporary fixes until money falls from the sky LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Leslie, contact a home renovator/builder in your area. They should have insulation pieces left over from a job and you might be able to purchase what you need from them. I have been known to ask nicely for something and gotten it for free!

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatrickView Post
Leslie, contact a home renovator/builder in your area. They should have insulation pieces left over from a job and you might be able to purchase what you need from them. I have been known to ask nicely for something and gotten it for free!

Cathy
That's our plan. We have a friend who works in the industry and I'm sure we can find a few scraps. We just haven't touched base yet. It is even small enough that a couple of cans of spray foam might do the trick if need be.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2012, 04:55 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

I have to admit to being a little green over all of your spaces. I would LOVE to have a space, even a small one, of my own. I used to have a room...then I had another child. LOL We have a finished attic, and I had my DD in one of the "rooms" and my DS in the other. The room that my DD was in though is basically just a walk through area to get to the other room. So, when my second DD came along, we moved the girls into the room that was my scraproom/office. We then moved the office/scraproom up to the space that DD was in. Weeeeellll... I was finding that I couldn't craft anymore with all of my stuff upstairs. I could never (seriously never!!) take the time to go up and scrap or make cards. I did love my space, I had a little tv, all of the stuff was organized and right where it needed to be so that I could reach it. I miss my own space.

To be able to craft/scrap though, I had to move it all back downstairs. I have a very small area at the end of our dining room. I have to use the end of the dining room table to work on. I have to be sure everything is put away because of lots of little fingers who could mess things up. I am still trying to figure out some good storage... I have been watching for either a buffet, or a dresser, or something like that so that my stuff can be more out of sight...

I love looking at other's ideas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Attachment 242099

Now it looks like this:
Attachment 242100

Wow, unbelievable the difference the sheets make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 08:18 AM   #30  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 798 Likes on 326 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Card Stock QueenView Post
Is your crafting area in the attic, basement or a closet? Are you limited by the space that is available to you? Do you feel your space is not perfect? Do you look at some of the other craft rooms that are posted and start to drool? If you've answered "yup" to one or more of these questions then you know how difficult it is to post photos of your craft cave.

I've hesitated to post photos of my basement craft cave here because of all the gorgeous one's I've looked at and coveted but I'm going to come out of the closet and admit ... I'm a Basement Craft Cave Dweller and HERE is my Craft Cave.

A couple of questions for those who are also Crafting Cave Dwellers ... what do you do to bring in more light? Are you limited by electrical outlets? How do you keep warm/cool? What do you do about humidity/dust/critters? What other obstacles interfere with your crafting? (Husbands don't count) Please share your creative storage solutions in tight spaces.

I had a craft cave at our old home as well and one day I went down and found little colored footprints all over my craft bench. The mice got into my ink pads and left little mousey footprints everywhere. Instead of getting mad I ended up loving it and wished I could have taken the work bench, with it's little footprints, with us when we moved.

Please feel comfortable in posting photos of your Attic, Basement or Closet - Not-so perfect-but-loved-by-you Craft Cave. I think it would encourage those of us who hesitate in sharing
I love your room! It has so much character and all the unique touches you've added are so fun! You've come up with some great ideas for storage and to make it look pretty

I don't know where my room fits. I know it's not the designer room that so many crafters share, but it's not a cave either. I don't have anyone to build things for me, so I have to come up with storage by myself.

My room is a spare bedroom. I don't have any fancy furniture or specially made cabinets with countertops. I used what I had; the white bedroom furniture I used as a child. I share the closet with the Christmas tree and decorations.

I posted pictures of my room on another thread (Share Your Stampin' Room / Stampin' Space! ) and while other people got lots of comments on their rooms I got only one. I didn't think my room looked bad, I mean, I like it. I was trying to show that any old furniture can be used and like you, I hung things on the wall for decoration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #31  
Inking Addict

Please post photos here so we can see it. I love looking at other peeps rooms/areas/spots, lol.

My best friend just set herself up with a crafting area behind her sectional couch in the family room! It's small but the two of us can sit there, side by side, with plenty of room and have a grand old time. A plus for her is that she faces their HUGE tv in the family room. It's a small area but it's well organized (which is a must) and oh, so comfy and fun. Other than a desk, that she needed to purchase, she used whatever she could find around the house and in the basement and everything just fell into place perfectly.

Having the top of the line, perfect craft room, doesn't change your abilities or talent *wink*. Even Becky Higgins started out in a closet *grins*.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #32  

Quote:

Please post photos here so we can see it. I love looking at other peeps rooms/areas/spots, lol.

My best friend just set herself up with a crafting area behind her sectional couch in the family room! It's small but the two of us can sit there, side by side, with plenty of room and have a grand old time. A plus for her is that she faces their HUGE tv in the family room. It's a small area but it's well organized (which is a must) and oh, so comfy and fun. Other than a desk, that she needed to purchase, she used whatever she could find around the house and in the basement and everything just fell into place perfectly.

Having the top of the line, perfect craft room, doesn't change your abilities or talent *wink*. Even Becky Higgins started out in a closet *grins*.
Thank you CS Queen. We're not supposed to cross post, but I do have all the photos on my blog. I'd love to have you take a look.

Your friend's space sounds so cozy! You're right about the space not effecting the talent. Some of the people on here who claim messy/poor spaces do beautiful work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I am very inspired by your rooms - my room is probably the most "cave"ish here though - cement floor - cement walls (NO INSULATION!! - in CANADA!!!) no ceiling... nothing matches and everything is all over the place... i keep moving things around to try to get the configuation correct. I will be honest... i don't actually MAKE anything in here - because it lacks - function!

AFter my last re configuartion of shelves cabinets counters table dressers etc... i think i have a layout that will work. I am inspired to paint the cement walls - and "tarp" the ceiling with white bedsheets - the only lighting i have at this point in time is table lamps...but i'm ready to tackle that issue too.

Thanks for the inspiration -

How do I post photos? I did paint...

Last edited by Kerri Wilson; 03-11-2012 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #34  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerri WilsonView Post
I am very inspired by your rooms - my room is probably the most "cave"ish here though - cement floor - cement walls (NO INSULATION!! - in CANADA!!!) no ceiling... nothing matches and everything is all over the place... i keep moving things around to try to get the configuation correct. I will be honest... i don't actually MAKE anything in here - because it lacks - function!

AFter my last re configuartion of shelves cabinets counters table dressers etc... i think i have a layout that will work. I am inspired to paint the cement walls - and "tarp" the ceiling with white bedsheets - the only lighting i have at this point in time is table lamps...but i'm ready to tackle that issue too.

Oooh you could have some FUN painting the walls! You could paint abstract shapes and designs, or flowers and trees, or stamp on the walls. What fun! Please share when you have finished.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 06:40 AM   #35  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerri WilsonView Post

Your cave sounds just like mine. You can do so much with such a rustic area, especially if you have half way decent walls. I have exposed stone and concrete walls, a stone ledge and cement floors. I only have one completely solid wall that I put the shelving up against. I pretty much made the rest of my walls with sheets, a folding screen, a free standing hutch and a carpet wall hanging LOL. The ceiling was all exposed and each time someone walked through the livingroom upstairs a little bit of grimy dusty stuff came down on my work area. Ew. I ended up staplegunning (is that a word?) pieces of fabric to the joists above my work bench to catch all the little dusties and bits. I'm sure the spiders are loving it *rolling eyes*. It works though.

I would love solid walls. I'd get the brightest, boldest, happiest paint colors I could find (in the disount bin of course) and go to town on the walls. It would probably end up looking graffiti-ish (is that a word) but would be totally fun. Right now I don't have one inch of paintable wall space so I'll live vicariously through you. LOL

If you go to town on your walls, please post photos here so I can see what you do. I love all the photos everyone is posting. I'd love to come scrap with you in all your rooms/spaces.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #36  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
Thank you CS Queen. We're not supposed to cross post, but I do have all the photos on my blog. I'd love to have you take a look.

Your friend's space sounds so cozy! You're right about the space not effecting the talent. Some of the people on here who claim messy/poor spaces do beautiful work.

I LOVE your furniture!!! I love the memories your furniture holds. Your paintings make the space personal and inviting. The desk and bureaus are beautiful! Your crafting space actually looks spacious from the photos, neat and well organized. All the wall space you have makes me jealous! I noticed something else ... your floor is so clean, LOL. I have to bring out the shop vac every once in a while to get up all the bits and pieces of paper, ribbon, etc. that ends up all over the floor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

CS Queen, your craft cave is wonderful! You've made fantastic use of the space and I especially love your tool tree! And I really enjoyed your blog post guided tour, that was so much fun.

My craft cave is in the basement of our home, too, it is a room (with and door and real walls! LOL) that is about 10 ft. X 10 ft. I have recessed lighting in the ceiling and a couple of desktop ott lights and one small window for natural light. I always want more light, though. I have an L-shaped work table that's large enough to suit my needs just fine. Shelving, storage, that's working well, too. (for now, ha ha) BUT that doesn't stop me from dreaming of buying a second home (or an empty warehouse!) - just for papercrafting! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2012, 11:02 AM   #38  

Quote:

I LOVE your furniture!!! I love the memories your furniture holds. Your paintings make the space personal and inviting. The desk and bureaus are beautiful! Your crafting space actually looks spacious from the photos, neat and well organized. All the wall space you have makes me jealous! I noticed something else ... your floor is so clean, LOL. I have to bring out the shop vac every once in a while to get up all the bits and pieces of paper, ribbon, etc. that ends up all over the floor.
Thank you so much

You know what though? There are dark 'specs' all over the carpet right near my desk. It's not paint or ink... it's like bits of something stuck to the carpet. I was afraid my DH would notice and bug me about it, so I keep using my sharp scissors and cut them out. I can't keep doing that, or there won't be any carpet left. :shock:

I can't figure out what it is so that I can stop doing what ever it is I'm doing!! I'd almost say bits of adhesive... glue or tape but how the heck would I be getting that on the floor?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't have a cave but I like to buy stampin' stuff with my $$$$ instead of fancy storage! That's just me. I love what you have done with what you have. Here's my make do and re-puposed stuff!

I love to re-purpose too. I have my extra single $1.00 stamps from Mike's in a printer's box that I had set in a pile to give to the local thrift store. I used to have little primitives in it when that was popular. Luckily I still had it when I saw someone else used a PBox for stamps.

I have a heavy sectioned box that bulk Crayola markers came in and it holds single stamps, twinkling H2O's, stickles, etc. The cardboard is bright white and I stamped on it. I have it tipped on the side/standing up. It came from an order of markers for my job and it was such quality material I had to think of something for it!

I have two two-tiered shelves (one wicker, one metal) that had other lives. One has dsp, envelopes and extra cards on it. The other holds my punches.

I have ribbon in blue Mason canning jars and more ribbon in a wicker picnic basket. I have card samples in a metal vintage recipe box from the '50's that I got at the Farm Chicks vintage show in Spokane, WA.

I have re-inkers in a tiny Fisher Price barn lunch box. It's from the '60's or 70's. It originally held a mini thermos but when I bought it the thermos was gone. It holds 10 re-inkers and is sooooo sweet;.)

I have an old drop leaf table from the 40's or 50's. It was our kitchen table when I was growing up. It's small and not ideal for stamping but it is soooo special.

I love looking at the BIG, fancy craft rooms. Mine is in a beautiful room with big windows but there is nuttin' fancy 'bout my storage!
I have no desire to have it match and be more than it is right now.
LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE AND BE HAPPY!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 03-07-2012 at 07:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #40  

I love the Fisher Price barn lunch box and the old drop leaf table! Don't you just love having memories in your studio while you are creating?
Reply With Quote Likes