Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Stampin' Up a Member Company?

Just wondering if SU is a member company on Splitcoast? I don't see them listed but they sure get a lot of publicity. If they aren't a member company shouldn't this be restricted? Especially in light of their new policies and Demo agreement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, Stampin Up is not a member company.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No, Stampin' Up! is not a Member Company at Splitcoaststampers.

You can find a listing of all our wonderful Member Companies in the forums under the Member Company heading. There are also links to each of their forums on the home page, just so they are easy to find. ;)

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Stampin' Up is not a member company. The concept of "member companies" is a relatively new one.

The founder of SCS was a Stampin' Up demo who moved from one part of the country to another and wanted a way to keep in touch with her entire customer base. The day-to-day operation of SCS, although now owned by NameMedia, is run by her husband, Daven (a.k.a. splitcoaststampers), along with an incredibly talented and dedicated Team. This is the primary reason you see preferential treatment toward Stampin' Up.

At least that's my understanding of the history .

Well - what am I talking about?!! Read all about it here (follow the link to the article):

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I understand the history, but when SCS was bought out why did SU! not have to "buy in" to SCS to stay the major company around here....??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 07:28 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only time it became important is now that the Demo issues have oozed over to GS like hot molten lava.
Because non-demos and customers have gotten so riled up about SU demo policies, of COURSE SU has gotten a lot of publicity lately.

Maybe Daven is keeping it as a courtesy to Tracy? I dunno.

SA Sistah -Original Swappers Anonymous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #7  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wondering why this bothers people so much?

And wondering if the people who seem to be so bothered by it belong to the Fan Club? Do they support this site with their dollars, or do they take advantage of all the free stuff available without contributing anything to the site?

If not, why are they so concerned about this issue? If they are worried about the viability of the site, they can always join the Fan Club or buy a few t-shirts and coffee cups to keep the money flowing. ;)

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 02:51 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInkView Post

;)
I was wondering the same thing. And why someone who hardly participates on this site would choose to pose this particular question/comment. Aside from the origins of this site. SU! gets a lot of publicity on here because a lot of people love their products. And unfortunatery, there are a fair amount of people who like to bash Stampin' Up! every chance they get. So if this "publicity" should be restricted as you suggest, posts like this should not be here.

This is a privately owned site and the owners manage the site how they see fit. Restricting Stampin' Up!'s presence here would not be a sound financial move, in my opinion. And by the way, how would you propose to restrict this publicity? Just wondering that also.

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #9  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

And wondering if the people who seem to be so bothered by it belong to the Fan Club? Do they support this site with their dollars, or do they take advantage of all the free stuff available without contributing anything to the site?

If not, why are they so concerned about this issue? If they are worried about the viability of the site, they can always join the Fan Club or buy a few t-shirts and coffee cups to keep the money flowing. ;)

I'm not bothered at all by SU'! presence on SCS. No problem to me. And I'd I"ve been a fan club member since I first came on site -and I've made donations and purchased a fan club membership for a friend.. Just sayin........... ;) But - I am bothered by the new IDA.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #10  
Full of Malarky

BTW - great blog Jan!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buttercup76View Post
Just wondering if SU is a member company on Splitcoast? I don't see them listed but they sure get a lot of publicity. If they aren't a member company shouldn't this be restricted? Especially in light of their new policies and Demo agreement.
I think they get a lot of publicity because the members here talk about them a lot. I don't see them getting any preferential promotion. Stampin Up is a big name in the industry and one that the majority of stampers know so they do get talked about more.

Given the uproar about the IDA could you imagine what would happen if the powers that be came along and said "Right, you lot, we're restricting the talk about SU. You can only post one card using SU images a day and mention them in forum posts two times a day."

WOuldn't that be worth putting your feet up and grabbing some popcorn for? :o:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 03:41 AM   #12  
Full of Malarky

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
I think they get a lot of publicity because the members here talk about them a lot. I don't see them getting any preferential promotion. Stampin Up is a big name in the industry and one that the majority of stampers know so they do get talked about more.

Given the uproar about the IDA could you imagine what would happen if the powers that be came along and said "Right, you lot, we're restricting the talk about SU. You can only post one card using SU images a day and mention them in forum posts two times a day."

WOuldn't that be worth putting your feet up and grabbing some popcorn for? :o:rolleyes:

LOL!!!! Yes - that would really be worth grabbing some popcorn for and watching that thread!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishymomView Post
I was wondering the same thing. And why someone who hardly participates on this site would choose to pose this particular question/comment.
Yes, isn't it interesting that the people who seem to be most bothered, the ones who always show up when there is any negativity concerning SU!, are the ones with the lowest post counts and NO GALLERY? They have very little of themselves invested here, can only be described as visitors, really and yet they feel they should be able to dictate how this site is run?

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:33 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by debzi333View Post
I'm not bothered at all by SU'! presence on SCS. No problem to me. And I'd I"ve been a fan club member since I first came on site -and I've made donations and purchased a fan club membership for a friend.. Just sayin........... ;) But - I am bothered by the new IDA.
I wasn't really talking about people like you, Deborah. You have a gallery, heck you have an AVATAR with your OWN picture and a link to your own gallery where people can see what you are all about! You don't have a funny little anonymous name, with fewer than 40 posts or so, no avatar, no gallery and no clue as to who you really are. You have spent some time here and are part of the community. These other folks...not so much. :mrgreen:

ANd thanks for the compliment on my blog! Between the time I spend stamping and the time I spend blogging about it, it's a miracle I get the housework done that I get done...though...ahem...it isn't all that MUCH housework, when I think about it. :eek:

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Last edited by JanTInk; 09-06-2009 at 05:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 AM   #15  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

I wasn't really talking about people like you, Deborah. You have a gallery, heck you have an AVATAR with your OWN picture and a link to your own GALLERY where people can see what you are all about! You don't have a funny little anonymous name, with fewer than 40 posts or so, no avatar, no gallery and no clue as to who you really are. You have spent some time here and are part of the community. These other folks...not so much. :mrgreen:

ANd thanks for the compliment on my blog! Between the time I spend stamping and the time I spend blogging about it, it's a miracle I get the housework done that I get done...though...ahem...it isn't all that MUCH housework, when I think about it. :eek:
Sheesh...I tried to edit this to fix my goofs and it wouldn't save it. So I am forced to do it this way instead, LOL!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:13 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

The fact of the matter is, that A LOT of stampers have used, currently use or have at least heard of Stampin' Up. A LOT of stampers (including myself) love their products so it is frequently mentioned on this site. This site was started by a Stampin' Up demo to discuss Stampin' Up products and it has evolved into the wonderful site that it is today where everyone can freely discuss whatever papercrafting products they use and like.

I feel that if SCS put restrictions on the "publicity" Stampin' Up received on this site then they would be just as bad (IMO) as Stampin' Up with their new IDA. I know that SCS is well above that, and will continue to allow everyone to express their opinions on all products. That's why I am and will remain a loyal member AND Fan Club member.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Good point Jan! Also, I don't know all the details about financing a site such as SCS but don't the number of "hits" help in advertising revenue? If so, SU customers and demos are contributing a lot to the site whether SU is a member company or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

MY impression of Member companies are those SMALLER companies trying to get the word out about their products in order to compete with/hold their own against big conglomerates such as SU!. they do, I believe, pay a fee to get special mention/perks such as their own forum.

Frankly if it weren't for SCS I NEVER would have found all these other great companies and accessories.

I can't imagine my life without Nesties and I have SCS to thank( or that curse :confused for addicting me to Copics.

SU! doesn't NEED to be a MC and have their own forum. besides, who would be the one running it? which SU! demo from the site? there's only what, hundreds?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampcrazy82View Post
I understand the history, but when SCS was bought out why did SU! not have to "buy in" to SCS to stay the major company around here....??
Basically, because it is the choice of the people who run SCS. When SCS was bought, they were told that the day-to-day operation of the site would be left to Daven and his team. They are in charge and it will be however they want it to be. And if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also, there was talk of this in another thread and basically Daven has told the demos that their "side" isn't going anywhere.

The SCS Team has done a darn good job of it so far (which is a complete understatement!), and frankly, I don't see why members of this site would have a problem with this decision.

If you have questions about it, you can always PM splitcoaststampers, or make your suggestion in the Site Suggestions and Comments forum.

BTW, I am a PROUD member of the Fan Club and love having SU represented here along with all the other companies, and if the Team at SCS doesn't have a problem with them not paying for it then neither do I. The number of people it draws to the site is a positive result of SU having a strong presence here.

And I love that SU has special galleries that happen to be here because of the site's history, I think it is perfectly fine that the demos have their own place here, and I'm pleased as punch that so many demos joined in on the conversation about the new IDA because their perspective was enlightening.

tfrd5r -- apparently that's what one of my cats has to say. I think it means.. "So there."

Seriously... let it go people. If you don't want to read about SU or see SU stuff, then don't look at it ... or don't come here. Easy peasy simple as pie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Yes, isn't it interesting that the people who seem to be most bothered, the ones who always show up when there is any negativity concerning SU!, are the ones with the lowest post counts and NO GALLERY? They have very little of themselves invested here, can only be described as visitors, really and yet they feel they should be able to dictate how this site is run?
My thought was that the type of post you speak of is not posted by a newcomer, but by someone who wishes to remain anonymous. I suspect that some users set up a new account with SCS, under a different user name, and then post things they don't want to be held accountable for.
Just my thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
My thought was that the type of post you speak of is not posted by a newcomer, but by someone who wishes to remain anonymous. I suspect that some users set up a new account with SCS, under a different user name, and then post things they don't want to be held accountable for.
Just my thought.
And Jan, you think you are so subtle, right?? :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Just my thought.
Which is against the TOS, am I right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:24 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

You are oh so right, Brandi.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 07:36 AM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
You are oh so right, Brandi.
It happens from time to time. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Um...what? Not sure what you mean? :confused:

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

tfrd5r -- apparently that's what one of my cats has to say. I think it means.. "So there."

Seriously... let it go people. If you don't want to read about SU or see SU stuff, then don't look at it ... or don't come here. Easy peasy simple as pie.
Your cat types nicer words than mine would.....LOL! I don't have a cat but you get the message

Thanks for your comments, ESPECIALLY the last paragraph
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Okay, I guess I was just showing my naivte (not sure if I spelled that correctly).
Off to a Labor Day picnic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Okay, I guess I was just showing my naivte (not sure if I spelled that correctly).
Off to a Labor Day picnic!
I've been just about as naive as they come!! You are actually much more perceptive than me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Now, that's really an unfair generalization.

I've only been here since April, but I became a Fan Club member almost immediately. I don't have thousands of posts, and I'm not one of the "in" people, but I do try to post helpful answers and read the forum every day.

I have a gallery, albeit a small one, and I look at new gallery entries almost daily.

The reason many people get concerned about SU is that it can be a very overwhelming influence. The color swaps are always SU colors, and seldom are there examples for people who don't have SU products.

I can't tell you the number of postings in the forum where people start talking about a stamp set, or inks or many other things, and don't even mention SU. They take it for granted that everyone on the planet knows which are SU products. We don't.

Just my two cents.

Cyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #30  
Compulsive Stamper

;)
Quote:

I wasn't really talking about people like you, Deborah. You have a gallery, heck you have an AVATAR with your OWN picture and a link to your own gallery where people can see what you are all about! You don't have a funny little anonymous name, with fewer than 40 posts or so, no avatar, no gallery and no clue as to who you really are. You have spent some time here and are part of the community. These other folks...not so much. :mrgreen:

I joined SCS in '07 and then my dad was diagnosed with cancer so I haven't been able to participate in this site for a while. Now I'm back to stamping and this weekend planned to take pictures of my new cards and start a gallery. Maybe even join the Fan Club (just recently read about it). Seems funny that YOU would criticize someone for supposedly criticizing the site when they don't have as many posts as YOU think they should. So don't dare have an opinion until you have an approved avatar, a gallery, the proper name, etc. I'm pleased to know that most people on this site have been warm and welcoming and do not share your thoughts.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #31  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aunt PPView Post
;)
I joined SCS in '07 and then my dad was diagnosed with cancer so I haven't been able to participate in this site for a while. Now I'm back to stamping and this weekend planned to take pictures of my new cards and start a gallery. Maybe even join the Fan Club (just recently read about it). Seems funny that YOU would criticize someone for supposedly criticizing the site when they don't have as many posts as YOU think they should. So don't dare have an opinion until you have an approved avatar, a gallery, the proper name, etc. I'm pleased to know that most people on this site have been warm and welcoming and do not share your thoughts.;)
I have no problem with people who join and want to be part of this community.

I'm glad you like the site and want to be part of it. The other people aren't really looking for that...they just have an axe to grind. Post count really has not that much to do with why I question their motives.

So welcome! I'm glad you have gotten back to stamping.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #32  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynergyView Post
Now, that's really an unfair generalization.

I've only been here since April, but I became a Fan Club member almost immediately. I don't have thousands of posts, and I'm not one of the "in" people, but I do try to post helpful answers and read the forum every day.

I have a gallery, albeit a small one, and I look at new gallery entries almost daily.

The reason many people get concerned about SU is that it can be a very overwhelming influence. The color swaps are always SU colors, and seldom are there examples for people who don't have SU products.

I can't tell you the number of postings in the forum where people start talking about a stamp set, or inks or many other things, and don't even mention SU. They take it for granted that everyone on the planet knows which are SU products. We don't.

Just my two cents.

Cyn
I'm sorry if my post about low post count upset you. I was really referring to a person or group of people who sometimes come here to stir up trouble. The low post count is just one sign of such a person. The other sign is what they post in threads, usually just one or two on specific topics, and always trying to "stir the pot".

I know not all of us are as chatty as others, or even have been here long enough to build up a big post count. Believe it or not, I've been here a long time, and there are people "younger" than me who have way surpassed me on post count!

I hope that you learn more about SU!...it's a great company! And yes, sometimes people take for granted that everyone will know what they are talking about! It probably is bewildering when you don't.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Ladies, Jan has a good reason for trying to call certain people on their questionable behavior here. This was definitely not meant as a generalization. I guess lynnewithane, and Beedubya and I were trying to acknowledge that without being too obvious about it. Let me just tell you, the comments would have had me bewildered until recently, too.

Not that she needs me to defend her, but Jan's one of the good ones . I, for one, am glad to know that possibly not everyone's motives for posting are as genuine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Hey!! I take exception to that. I have no gallery, no Avatar with my picture on it but I've been here since 2004 and a fan club member since 2005 (I think) Does that leave me out of the community?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
Hey!! I take exception to that. I have no gallery, no Avatar with my picture on it but I've been here since 2004 and a fan club member since 2005 (I think) Does that leave me out of the community?

Sorry, i should have read the thread all the way through before posting. (and I hate it when people do that, so I really should have!) I get it now!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 01:54 PM   #36  
Compulsive Stamper

Red face

I've got it, too! And I'm sorry I misjudged you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #37  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

We're all good!

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

We're all good!
Happy to hear it. I hope YKILY, Miss Jan. I'm a big fan BTW.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #39  
Full of Malarky

Quote:

Thanks for that Jan! Your blog is really nice, no matter how upset I am with SU at this time. And now I'm going to make a card!!;) Sometimes stuff just gets to me. And clean my house..............

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-06-2009, 03:26 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

I have been a SCS member since 2004 and visit this site everyday. I really enjoy seeing everyone beautiful work and comment whenever I can. With the ever increasing volume of work that is posted everyday, I have stopped posting my own creations. I have had a wonderful SU demo for 8 years and am still a true blue SU customer. Obviously this site has grown enormously in the last 5 years and things always change. So apologies to non-SU people, but there are still times that I feel that a wonderful SU site (that it started out as) has been highjacked and sometimes it feels as if SU gets lost in the shuffle. I am thankful though that SU still has a strong presence on this site and hopefully will for a long time because, for me, the day they don't is the day I give up SCS.

Reply With Quote Likes