Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-11-2021, 10:31 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is It a Secret?

Why do so many companies keep their die and stamp measurements to themselves? When we're looking to purchase, that's the #1 thing we need to know, but it's so often a guessing game.

And a general measurement is insufficient: for example, "a 4x6" stamp set" doesn't cut it. That puts the burden on the consumer to guess what's going on inside the set. Personally, I'd be content with the measurements of a single stamp (or die) from the set as a point of reference. I'd even be okay with an approximation, say 1/16" variation (which they shouldn't need in this era of advanced mechanization). But if they feel the need, at least that would give the consumer a starting point.

Samples used to be helpful, but with some card-makers branching out into different sized cards, that's not necessarily the case.

Stamp and die companies, would you please share? We need this info!

And to those companies that already offer this - thank you! It takes the guesswork out of purchasing your products!

Last edited by binx; 01-15-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2021, 06:33 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I SO AGREE!! I have had to email to a stamp/die company to ask them, and then I don't get a reply until the sale is over! I don't need the "4 x 6" size of the package. I need to know the exact size of the rectangle the die will cut. I have even gone to the manufacturer's website for more details, but often they are not even posted there.
I must say that I received the fastest response to my question about a product from The Greetery. I think she replied at about 10 pm! It wasn't about a measurement, but if a certain die matched a certain stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I agree too! Although I don't buy SU products anymore, I really do appreciate that they indicate which punches, dies, and stamps work together. I wish other companies would do the same thing when possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 291 Likes on 193 Posts

I thought I remembered seeing measurements for stamps and dies on ellenhutson.com, but I just looked again - looks like they only have that for their own products. I can understand that it would take a ridiculous amount of time to measure the products from the companies, but I agree it would be nice to have the info!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh I so agree! I have emailed Crafter's Companion several times, with no response. Almost all of their dies are 6x6, and won't fit on an A2 card size. So frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntiof8View Post
Oh I so agree! I have emailed Crafter's Companion several times, with no response. Almost all of their dies are 6x6, and won't fit on an A2 card size. So frustrating.
Hey auntiof8, I know what you're talking about. I find companies (not all, but some) often ignore these kind of email requests.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to work for an online stamping and scrapbooking company that closed several years ago. I wrote descriptions of products and often helped photograph, measure and weigh products from many different companies for the online store. It took a lot of time!

One thing we did that was helpful, and I think would be easy enough for other companies to do, was take a photo of the product placed in the corner of a special ruler that looked like two rulers that were placed into an “L” shape so that customers could look at the photo and get a really good estimate on size without us going to crazy extremes trying to measure every stamp or die in a set.

Maybe if you suggest something like this to your favorite companies they would consider doing an extra ruler photo? It would be an easy way for them to boost their customer service, cut down on inquiries, and likely sell more products!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2021, 03:55 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Ebay sellers often do that trick with the rulers.

I agree with this request. Spellbinders is good about giving us measurements of each die in a set.

There once was a die set years ago I was lusting for-a nest circle set with interesting patterns-not your typical scallop edging. It was expensive so I was waiting on a sale. Meanwhile I saw pictures using it so I felt I knew the scale.

Um NO. It arrives and it is HUGE-the largest is almost a salad plate size-it is a European set and now of course I know they work larger than us doing bigger cards...I was SO disappointed. I would have gotten use of only 2 of the 6 or more dies...so I told the company I wanted to return it and they let me having to admit they did not have the sizes listed esp bad in a case like this in this country.

I don't trust card pics anymore either. I have found that smaller images which may be put on trimmed down cards (aka not a full A2) but are shot and look like an A2....I wont say it is intentionally deceptive...I am sure they want to say they want a nice clear pic...but that is one pitfall I have had more than once. Or the reverse like above where larger actually looked smaller.

Or they just use blown up pictures but not so much I realize it is a blow up of the product itself.

I am guessing most card makers tend to be pretty easy going and even when disappointed will try to still use it.

I have to say I have never not gotten that answer yet but of course I always specifically say I need to know this in order to buy it. Or I keep asking if I really want the thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I so agree. I wanted a rectangle frame die that would be the 4.5 x 5.5 exactly and it took me weeks to finally find one because most companies didn't give the real size.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Perhaps companies are not publicizing the exact sizes of their stamps or dies to make it harder for companies that make illegal copies of them and then sell them super-cheaply to match the dimensions exactly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2021, 05:22 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most cards sold in stores are the 5x7 variety. So when I first started making my own cards, that is the size I made. I was so disappointed to find all the stamps and dies were made for 4x5 cards. To me, that size was more like a little Thank You note card, not a real birthday or Christmas card size.

It took awhile but I finally got used to the idea of making tiny cards. But there are times when I order a die or stamp and and think, "That little thing? That's all I get for $15?"
Reply With Quote Likes