Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money Saver pricing of handmade cards

hello, all! I am planning on selling my handmade cards at a bazaar this fall,
and they are mostly A-2 size cards with a few wedding cards that are
5 1/2 x 5 1/2. it is very hard how to know how to price them! I have NO idea.
I would appreciate any feedback that experienced card sellers would be willing
to share. thank you so much!-Heather LaBudde
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It all depends on what you think they are worth and what the people in your area are willing to pay. I quit doing craft shows because I went back to work, but, depending on how much material/complicated/intricate the card was, I charged either $4, $5, or $6 for my cards (with envelope and outside plastic protector envelope) and I never had anyone complain about the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

It's really gonna depend on where you are in the world. A $3 card in South Carolina can be a $5 card in New York. If you're in an area that "celebrates" artisan quality, you can get a higher price for them. The phrase "whatever the market will bear" comes to mind. It can also depend on how your cards are presented. If they are in protective sleeves with the envelope, they will likely move better than if they aren't.
I seem to have the most success when I price my cards at about $3 each. They're not elaborately embellished, but they're not just a one layer card either.
Be sure to make notes of any comments you get from your first time out. You'll find out what an acceptable price is and what is most popular with the crowd you're selling to. That way you'll be able to tweak your creations for the next craft bazaar. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

I typically sell my cards to people I work with in batches 5 for $10. I'd rather unload some of my giant stash of cards than have people go to the dollar store to buy one.

My cards are very detailed so I'm probably only making equivalent to 5 cents an hour LOL!

For a single card I usually ask $3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

This is a tough one because I think that artists are worth something in this world... My primary job as a music teacher and musician dictates that I need to be paid what I am worth because I have bills too! (Have you guys seen that pinterest thing going around??)

As a cardmaker I feel it's no different. If I let people buy my handmade pieces of art for $1-2 dollars then I feel like it's devaluing what I do. You can walk into a drugstore and pay $5-6 on a flat, mass-produced piece of crap!! Are my cards not worth more than that??

The other side of the argument - I sell MOST of my cards, but a few of them just don't sell... After a few months of cycling through old cards to new cards I have a few (3) shoeboxes full of unsold cards. THOSE I will let go for cheap or give away to charity or something, but not my 2-3 hour copic creations!!!

Good luck! You're worth something!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do really well at $3.00 per card.
blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about pricing, but I just want to point something out, if you're not already aware. Square cards take extra postage to mail because of their proportions, so if you're selling them, I suggest you make sure your customers know so they aren't frustrated if they are planning to mail them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 04:28 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

I live in western South Carolina and sell cards for $7.50 at an Art Gallery gift shop.

You know, I bet it matters where you are selling cards too. For instance, a gift shop versus a craft fair?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 04:43 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you want to make money or reduce expenses? In other words, are you selling cards that you otherwise would have made anyway in order to recoup the expense of your hobby or do you want to make a profit?

It is very very difficult to make a profit on selling handmade cards because most of us buy our materials at retail. Sigh.

If you are in it to make a profit, then add up the total total cost of your supplies -- adhesive, etc. Most cards are fairly pricey to make, but a judicious use of embellishments can add a little interest without expense.

Then you need to add the cost of your time. What hourly wage do you want to make? Have you kept track of the amount of time it takes to make a card? If not, do so and see what it comes out to. Don't forget your time at the fair.

What is the cost of the entry fee for the fair? Add that.
Then there are taxes.
Are there parking fees or a long distance? If so, then we have gasoline.

Add it all up (some will be an estimate) and divide by the number of cards. Is this a reasonable figure in your community? If it comes to $10 a card and you think your market it only $4 a card, then rethink.

Now if you are only looking to recoup at least part of the cost of your supplies, then you have an entirely different equation. As long as you make more than the cost of the entry fee and taxes, you are in the plus mode.

Sounds like fun. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Thank you ALL who responded with such
Terrific feedback for me!! I am very grateful!
-Heather LaBudde
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I have pretty good luck at craft fairs with a price of $2 which includes the envelope. I also have a box of old cards (that never seem to sell for full price) for $1 but they don't come with envelopes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
This is a tough one because I think that artists are worth something in this world... My primary job as a music teacher and musician dictates that I need to be paid what I am worth because I have bills too! (Have you guys seen that pinterest thing going around??)

As a cardmaker I feel it's no different. If I let people buy my handmade pieces of art for $1-2 dollars then I feel like it's devaluing what I do. You can walk into a drugstore and pay $5-6 on a flat, mass-produced piece of crap!! Are my cards not worth more than that??

The other side of the argument - I sell MOST of my cards, but a few of them just don't sell... After a few months of cycling through old cards to new cards I have a few (3) shoeboxes full of unsold cards. THOSE I will let go for cheap or give away to charity or something, but not my 2-3 hour copic creations!!!

Good luck! You're worth something!!
I couldn't agree with you more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2012, 01:35 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Joan B has some great points...I totally forgot that I am gifted lots of new products from a special friend and I buy everything wholesale. That cuts down my costs to just about nothing. I also package my cards in clear envelopes with a white or ivory mailing envelope.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks to all who posted. I too had the same question. I went away with 9 women this weekend and made 55 cards. People at work want to purchase them but I had no idea what to charge. I think the less intricate ones I might sell for $2.50 and the fiddly ones will be sold for $4.00-$5.00.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started selling my cards. And this past weekend I sold 16 out of 20.

They were in a Country show in MO.

Mine where priced between $1.50 and $4.00 a card.

Knowing the area. I didn't want to over price my cards.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would look up JBGreendawn and click on her blog. Look for her booth. It's EXACTLY the sort of booth that always does well in our area (I am not in hers, so there is two areas!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #17  

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

My first craft show was this weekend and my cards sold well at 5.00 each. We made a sign with two commercial cards on it and circled the prices 2.79 and 3.99 for plain no-frills cards! Our sign said "Don't your family and friends deserve handcrafted cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #18  
Kookie Creator

I sell mine for a flat $2 a card....I think I recoup some of my cost on some of them...but not on others....and my time----not making anything on that! I guess I want to sell my cards....and just make someone's day with a handmade card! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

At a local farmer's market, I noticed a space with some lovely water colored artwork. Then I saw her display of handmade cards. The bases were heavy watercolor paper layered with beautiful specialty paper. The designs were layered collages, also beautiful papers. Each one also featured a little water colored image. You get the idea. She was only charging $5 each and she felt it was a fair price. Several booths down another vendor was selling her unremarkable kit cards for $5. I guess you charge what the market will bear. I love the idea of posting a couple of commercial cards with the prices circled......great marketing plan!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

At our church I supply the bookstore and twice a year we do a half price sale to move out inventory for new stuff. We sold 569 cards this last Sunday...WOWZERS! I took in an additional 1000 cards on that day so had a total of around 1500 cards. Was blown away that so many sold.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sc magnoliaView Post
My first craft show was this weekend and my cards sold well at 5.00 each. We made a sign with two commercial cards on it and circled the prices 2.79 and 3.99 for plain no-frills cards! Our sign said "Don't your family and friends deserve handcrafted cards?
GREAT marketing idea!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I mainly sell only cards with some gift tags thrown in and I only do one 2 day fund raiser craft show where i live in a private school this show is the best one in a small isolated town where I live, there is an waiting list for booths... 4 or 5 years ago now I took the un-sell able space in an hallway designed for a 6' table.
every year is better than the last.
for me I price things based on how hard it was or how much supplies were used. a very simple thing I may sell for .25 cents ( tiny gift tags made from scraps) my cards tend to be larger than A-2 so, for any size card with a paper envelope inside a clear bag I do not go under 2.00) the highest priced cards in the batch are 10.00. the average is around 4.00.
I go to yard sales all year long and buy vintage lace and buttons. which gives the cards a custom look and a much lower cost than buying store bought embellishments.
I am gifted with glue and envelopes so their cost is not a factor in my pricing in my mind. I am not doing this for profit, it's more like... I am going to make these cards anyways and this gives me a little back to splurge on new toys... I also donate cards throughout the year and people who know me they know that also.
I think you are going to have to practice with it and listen to people who do take the time to stop at your booth and ooh and ahh and buy. they will tell you what they are looking for. and you will know if you have priced them too high if they pick them up, flip them over and see the price tags and put them back down like they have been burned... ;)

I do make my own price tags and each thing has a price tag on it, and I ask them as they buy them... do you need the price tag? (most people look startled and say no...) so I say good and pull it off, its more fun to make cards than price tags.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Home is where the heart is - in my fabulous new stamping room!
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
At our church I supply the bookstore and twice a year we do a half price sale to move out inventory for new stuff. We sold 569 cards this last Sunday...WOWZERS! I took in an additional 1000 cards on that day so had a total of around 1500 cards. Was blown away that so many sold.
blessings.
What was your average price per card?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sell cards in my Etsy shop and have also sold in a local shop at $3 each.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2015, 12:15 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Home is where the heart is - in my fabulous new stamping room!
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question How do you price your cards?

What is the average price for the cards that you sell? How do you go about deciding on the price. This is a fun hobby for me but I have accumulated many, many cards I NEED to start selling them!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2015, 01:07 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampdujourView Post
Here is a Current Thread with info on Craft Fair Best Sellers.

You can ask your question about pricing here. I am sure people will help you out.

Forums at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #28  

Location: At the end of a dead-end dirt road, 45.9484° N, 93.0754° W. Founded as a lumber camp in the 1870s,
Received 509 Likes on 353 Posts

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 07:07 AM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I sold my accumulated cards for the first time at a local craft fair this past October. I priced my cards based on size since it would be unfair to price for the actual time it takes me to complete a card...which can be the better part of a day. If I ever choose to repeat card designs I'm sure I could make more but it's the process that's fun for me. A2=$5.00, A6=$6.00, A7=$7.00, 5x5=$6.00, 5 1/2 x 5 1/2=$8.00 6x6=$10.00. I put each card into a clear envelope with a coordinating envelope. I including a small scan of the completed inside- slipped into the back- so people wouldn't need to open the clear envelope to handle the card. My display was very simple and was done on a 6 foot table which cost me $60.00 for the weekend. I sold over 100 cards...even the $10.00 cards sold out. No one questioned my pricing so I think it was ok. I'll put a couple of pictures of my simple sales area in my gallery. My best advice would be to spend the money for quality packaging so your cards stay clean. Don't under price your cards...you can always drop your price if need be. We have a tendency to under value ourselves.

my blog: www.stamptart.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2016, 08:22 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default price per card is 3.00

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampdujourView Post
For the church bookstore. Its 100% profit for them as I donate all the cards.

😄
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2016, 08:00 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

this is a really old thread...
my prices have gone up over the years because, of the cost of (everything else) has too... so, this last year I would say average price was 4.00 ( top price for a single card was still 10.00 ) lowest price for a very CAS (extreme CAS) folded 3" card with no paper envelope was .50 cents. - think to your self a folded scrap with a printed scrap and a stamped sentiment on it. and the bulk of my cards are all larger than A-2.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2016, 12:19 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

The first craft show I did it was a week before Mother's Day. Being new at card making I was not sure how to price. I did my cards at $1.25, then had a few gift items also. My cards went like crazy, the other vendors in the building were giving me the evil eye. One told me "people would go and spend $3.75 anyway for a card" why not us. Well, I would not spend that much on a card ever, the people took my phone number, and each year I slowly raised my prices, I think the most I ever charged was $3.00, and it was a large loaded with embossing and lace (which were scraps from my sewing days).
Reply With Quote Likes