Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-17-2016, 05:29 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts
Default Mixing papers on cards

Here's a fun question from one of our newsletter subscribers - what's your strategy?

"I have a question for your readers. Is there a secret to knowing how to layer plain cardstock with printed cardstock when making a card?"
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

A lot of companies today have printed double side paper that coordinates. I usually find a sheet of DSP and then match it to a solid. I also sometimes layer the DSP on a darker card stock before placing on the base. If you have trouble matching colors there is always the colorlab site that helps by allowing you to match them on the computer first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I have only one piece of printed card stock on hand and it has a huge chevron through it so, I have never used it... but for mixing printed papers with solid colored card stock I think it helps if your solid picks up one of the colors in the print. If that does not work for you try a neutral like Black or cream or white.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 06:58 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I agree with the thought of picking up one of the colors in the pattern or using a neutral. I usually like the results best if I use the color that provides the highest contrast, but that's definitely a personal preference thing.

The QUEEN of layering colors with patterns (or just plain layering in general, in my humble opinion) is Jessica Rone (knightrone)!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 09:10 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
The QUEEN of layering colors with patterns (or just plain layering in general, in my humble opinion) is Jessica Rone (knightrone)!
Wowsers! I love Jessica's cards! I love lots of stuff on my cards and she does it so well, along with mixing and layering patterns!

Seems the key to doing it successfully is to use patterns in complementary colors and use each pattern in a smaller dose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #6  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I had to trawl a long way back through my memory to recall which challenge Julia Stainton used to hostess - she once had a WT challenge based on using paper and linked to this article which she wrote for Ellen Hutson's blog. I remember finding it very helpful at the time - and in fact I have gone back to it a couple of times since: In Touch: Mixing Patterns by Julia Stainton

It's a little more about mixing patterns rather than prints and solid colours - but the principles in it are great and I thought they were worth throwing into this discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I had to trawl a long way back through my memory to recall which challenge Julia Stainton used to hostess - she once had a WT challenge based on using paper and linked to this article which she wrote for Ellen Hutson's blog. I remember finding it very helpful at the time - and in fact I have gone back to it a couple of times since: In Touch: Mixing Patterns by Julia Stainton

It's a little more about mixing patterns rather than prints and solid colours - but the principles in it are great and I thought they were worth throwing into this discussion.
That's a great article - thank you!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 03:52 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

It is! Mixing patterns is not my thing at all but that was very accessible! I bookmarked it. Great memory on you! Thanks!

The original Q-
I agree about pulling out a color to match in a pattern, liking contrast (unless you are looking for a soothing card), and going with neutrals if you dont have a solid you like.

I would add some things...
1) tone on tone reads as a solid but can be interesting for a pairing. You can easily make this with clear stamping or embossing.

2) you can make your own DP, which will definitely match your ink obviously. The great 6x6 stamps-stripes, dots, chevrons, florals, etc from companies like Impression Obsession are great for this. Then just sponge some paper to be the solid.

3) In the same way companies design paper collections to mix and match patterns...they also can do this for patterns/solids, ink and embellies...SU is one and I have seen many people say they love that. As Kathy was saying, a lot of DP sheets are 2 sided and one may be a matching solid.

4) If you are working with a geometric/stripe paper that maybe has 4 tones of a color (ie pink) and you use a 5th one as your solid-that can look great because it's all one family

5) If you are unsure about what colors go-try your color wheel. I still swear mine lies to me lol but they work. If you dont have one, they are only a couple of bucks at the art store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 04:02 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I keep forgetting I can make my own DSP! Thanks for the reminder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2016, 11:15 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I want a mat layer under patterned paper and I don't have the right colour I just colour a border with a Promarker, no-one's ever going to see the white underneath.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 03:36 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I agree with the thought of picking up one of the colors in the pattern or using a neutral. I usually like the results best if I use the color that provides the highest contrast, but that's definitely a personal preference thing.

Love this thread and wow... you are right about Jessica's cards. So glad you mentioned her because her cards make me happy and I never would have seen them without your comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2016, 04:52 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with the pick one color from the pattern to build around idea that others have mentioned. Once I've done that, I use my color wheel to pick colors to go with that color. Like has already been mentioned they are not expensive and usually have basic instructions included. I often use the "rule of 3's" and my wheel. It has 2 different triangles marked making it easy to picked a couple of different color groups to choose from.

Another way to go is to use black cardstock. It is a high contrast choice and almost always makes images or patterns pop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Thank you so much for the shout out!! You and everyone that has commented, and contacted me since you posted this has made my day...and that's saying something because I was having a pretty rough week, so I needed a little sunshine! Big stampy, crafty hugs to you all!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2016, 05:02 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Mixing papers on cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post

I found this very interesting . Anyone who quilts will agree that her instructions are the same as for choosing fabric for quilting. No wonder so many stampers I know also quilt. We all mix pattern in design in both paper and fabric.
Reply With Quote Likes