Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-10-2020, 05:19 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Knock Offs

I was just scrolling through stamp and die sets on Etsy and became frustrated. There are so many sellers who have stolen images from other companies. It infuriates me.

I once bought a set I thought was a destash only to find out it was a knock off. The stamp was so inferior I threw it in the trash and vowed to never be tricked again. I went right to the stamp company that had their images taken and bought the stamp set and dies.

I'm sure there are many people who are lured in by the cheap prices, but plagiarism is wrong. Whenever a stamp set doesn't list a company name, I move on. I don't want to contribute to theft.

Sorry for rambling. I was just so frustrated and felt the need to share. What do you think?

-Adam Osborne-
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2020, 06:54 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

This is often the case on Amazon, as well. The stolen images are so commonplace now that it is up to us to do a little research before we hit the "buy" button. I'm like you - if no company name is listed I will not buy it, as I'm fairly confident that it's a knock-off. If there is a company name but I don't recognize it, it only takes a minute to do a search to see if they're reputable or a front for a knock-off company. Sad that this is the case, but we can be responsible consumers if we choose...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2020, 07:01 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Even if money is tight for some right now if we don't support the legitimate companies when and if we buy supplies they will go out of business.  Then a good deal of what's left will be inferior product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2020, 12:24 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

As gregzgurl said, it just takes a little effort to be a responsible consumer.  If you don't want to bother, then it ends up like rockybeta pointed out and your favorite companies can close.

I should have mentioned Amazon.  I agree, it's also terrible there.  In fact, it seems like that pretty much the majority of stamps they sell seem like knock offs.  No Name companies selling stamps at rock bottom prices.  No thank you.  I want to support the actual artists who created the stamps I love.

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Well that just stank. Sorry. 

Dont let that deter you though from legit stampers de-stashing at good prices. Of course they will tell you the brand bc it is a selling point. They are on etsy too. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2020, 04:05 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

For several years I've been a member of Spellbinders small die of the month - and lots of their stamps and dies are reproduced on the Ali Express web site.  I used to order from them some time ago, but quit with the pandemic.  However, all Spellbinders stamps and dies list they are made in China -?-.  I'm sticking with only Spellbinders, but I understand the frustration of the craft industries and consumer issues...  Thanks for posting ! 
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2020, 04:24 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

It is true that even reputable companies outsource their manufacturing to China, but they still maintain quality control and have copyrighted, paid-for artwork. It might be worthwhile to consider that in our current paradigm we have a "global economy", and many items that we use every day are manufactured overseas. Many of the clothes we wear are made in Thailand or India, for example. Components for electronics and automobiles are made elsewhere, even if the actual product is assembled here. Furniture often comes from Mexico, Viet Nam and Hong Kong. Everyone's beloved Copic markers hail from japan. It isn't where things are manufactured that is the issue - it's the stealing of the intellectual property and the disregard for copyright law that are the problem. And then there's the lack of quality control, as well. "You get what you pay for" definitely applies to these knockoffs...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2020, 04:38 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

It really is super-frustrating for small businesses. I was browsing for stamps on eBay a couple of days ago and saw a sheet of clear stamps from a seller in China that included a couple of really distinctive images from a small UK stamp maker. They sell high quality red rubber, they pay their artists and they work hard to have a distinctive offering. I told them about the listing. They were pleased to have the information and said they’d report it to get it take down. They were also resigned to the fact it will just pop up again somewhere else  So yes, if we value the creative forces that enable our hobby, we each need to be responsible consumers. 

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2020, 06:25 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Things only sell if people buy them. If people did not buy knock offs they would not bother making them. In any industry. I am not being snarky...just an observation. I have a huge trade down in Chinatown with knockoff designer bags/suitcases. Fendi for example. They take you in back rooms...undercover cops cruise through there...the works. For some it has become part of the "NYC experience". For decades now. People feel it does not really hurt the big companies and possibly people feel that way here too....

The other thing is...a lot of stuff is "public domain". Meaning anyone can use it. Think clip art books or computer programs. Also quotes. Also fonts. So just because we see it at a known mfg does not mean it is their property. And they don't make the distinction.

Good eye on you Joanne! 

It does seem like we see this most on Amazon, Etsy, and platforms like that. You wont see it at gen suppliers like Michaels or Scrapbook.com right?  

I feel bad for honest crafters trying to sell their stuff...however they themselves may have bought it on Ali Express...this can be very circular...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I found a knock off stamp image on on of "those" companies.  I informed the stamp manufacture-Whipper Snapper.  They didn't even respond to me -just sad.

I belong to The Card Making Facebook page.  People always post their wonderful cheap buys and proclaim that Allied Express, Wish and other knock off companies so awesome.  Some do post that they got ripped off. The owner of this Facebook page let these posts go through, but if anyone "Shames" a poster for buying from these sites, that take money away from legit manufacturers and artists, the owner states she will delete these posts.  No shaming allowed, but supporting "these" company posts are allowed.  I really want to ask the owner why but I don't want to get booted off.

If I do get booted off, then I know she read this post on SCS.  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I saw two Stampin Up sets on Amazon, both stolen from the new mini. I know these are stolen because dies are offered with one set, that does not come with dies from SU. I am quite vocal about not supporting thieves, and I intend to let SU know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2020, 06:35 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

I was always surprised how proud people could be of those knock off purses...so I guess they can be of fake stamps and dies too. 

Reply With Quote Likes