Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-12-2020, 10:35 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Gold embossing powder for water coloring

I need a good gold embossing powder that works with water coloring.

I have ranger but I feel like it is to fine and does not hold up to water coloring. It flakes every time I try when I use it.

I can use any black embossing powder to water color. I just have a problem with gold embossing powder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

How old is your embossing powder? Sometimes the powder doesn't work.as it should after it gets old.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2020, 02:48 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
How old is your embossing powder? Sometimes the powder doesn't work.as it should after it gets old.

Little over a year
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-12-2020, 04:50 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I still use clear embossing powder that I purchased in a bulk container over 10 yrs ago.
There are different types/grades of embossing powder. Could you be using extra fine? If so that could be the problem. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 07:47 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I still use clear embossing powder that I purchased in a bulk container over 10 yrs ago.
There are different types/grades of embossing powder. Could you be using extra fine? If so that could be the problem. 

Embossing powder seems to be fine. Someone mentioned to me to use ink and clear embossing. Seriously I have been doing this for years and I never thought to do this with gold ink. 🙄
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

What embossing ink and paper do you use? I wonder if there's not a good bond?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 12:54 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I’ve used Ranger and I’ve used SSS in various versions of gold.  I wonder if, because of how fine it is, you might need to stamp the ink multiple times on the paper just to make sure you have a really good base for the powder to cling to.  That is the only thing I could think of that would cause the embossed powder to flake.  Hope this helps and if not, disregard  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 08:46 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Make sure your Versamark ink pad is good and juicy.  I have some very old SU gold ep that I am still using (only about 1/4 left) and it works great.  I have also tried Ranger, Brutus Monroe and Judikins gold ep's with good results.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 10:22 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Leslie, I just stamped two highly detailed images with Versamark and heat embossed on heavy watercolor paper and on bristol with Ranger Super Fine Detail Gold and Wow Metallic Platinum Regular (closest I had to gold) and then watercolored with my beloved super cheap set from Michael’s and a professional grade set (QOR). I used a fairly dry brush and then tons of water and all four embossed images were fine.

Ditto what Dini asked? I've wondered if black EP melts at a lower temp than other colors so maybe the gold needed more heat? I don’t really use black any more so don’t take my word for it.

I love testing, but designing/creating a card not always so much. So thank you. 

Beth

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
What embossing ink and paper do you use? I wonder if there's not a good bond?
Versamark and rangers gold embossing powder on multi media and water color paper. Every time I tried to water color with zig water color markers ofr SU ink the embossing came off. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbrownView Post
Make sure your Versamark ink pad is good and juicy.  I have some very old SU gold ep that I am still using (only about 1/4 left) and it works great.  I have also tried Ranger, Brutus Monroe and Judikins gold ep's with good results.

Versamark is juicy. I used a refill. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Leslie, I just stamped two highly detailed images with Versamark and heat embossed on heavy watercolor paper and on bristol with Ranger Super Fine Detail Gold and Wow Metallic Platinum Regular (closest I had to gold) and then watercolored with my beloved super cheap set from Michael’s and a professional grade set (QOR). I used a fairly dry brush and then tons of water and all four embossed images were fine.

Ditto what Dini asked? I've wondered if black EP melts at a lower temp than other colors so maybe the gold needed more heat? I don’t really use black any more so don’t take my word for it.

I love testing, but designing/creating a card not always so much. So thank you. 

Beth

Thanks for testing for me that was nice of you. I tried to order Brutus gold embossing powder in my last unity order but they were out. I might try to order again or I just might go to Miche and try another brand. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2020, 04:53 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Leslie, just to see where the problem is, how about heat embossing on a different paper  - even one you don’t use for watercoloring, like cardstock. 

If the powder doesn’t flake off, you’d know it has something to do with the paper. If it does flake off, it could be the powder. 

Since it’s happening with both Zigs and SU ink, you know it’s nothing specific to just one medium. (I might try just brushing on plain water to see if it still happens, but I’m a testing nerd.)

And I’m guessing you’ve tried gently scratching off the powder before getting it wet. 

The only other thing could be not enough heat. Feel free to pop some in an envelope and mail it to me for further experimentation! I’m curious. I’d also be glad to send you some of my Ranger. Since it works fine, if it didn’t for you it would have to be paper or heat.

Information Junky 

Last edited by bjeans; 09-17-2020 at 04:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2020, 06:29 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Leslie, just to see where the problem is, how about heat embossing on a different paper  - even one you don’t use for watercoloring, like cardstock. 

If the powder doesn’t flake off, you’d know it has something to do with the paper. If it does flake off, it could be the powder. 

Since it’s happening with both Zigs and SU ink, you know it’s nothing specific to just one medium. (I might try just brushing on plain water to see if it still happens, but I’m a testing nerd.)

And I’m guessing you’ve tried gently scratching off the powder before getting it wet. 

The only other thing could be not enough heat. Feel free to pop some in an envelope and mail it to me for further experimentation! I’m curious. I’d also be glad to send you some of my Ranger. Since it works fine, if it didn’t for you it would have to be paper or heat.

Information Junky 

You made me laugh.

IF I send you some embossing powder through the mail it might just get flagged as a biological powder.  I will have the FBI, CIA, NCIS, MI6-James bond and any other unidentified government agency at my front door claiming I started Covid with a gold powder
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post

You made me laugh.

IF I send you some embossing powder through the mail it might just get flagged as a biological powder.  I will have the FBI, CIA, NCIS, MI6-James bond and any other unidentified government agency at my front door claiming I started Covid with a gold powder

Haha! {Imagining you sitting them down and teaching them to heat emboss... FBI Agent: “Hey, do you have any blue? I’ve always like blue!”)

Well I’d put mine into a tiny jar. lol 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2020, 09:00 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I wonder if you aren't heating it for long enough. I've never had embossing powder flake off.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post

Versamark and rangers gold embossing powder on multi media and water color paper. Every time I tried to water color with zig water color markers ofr SU ink the embossing came off. 

It is hard to heat ep on watercolor paper.  Sometimes you have to reink and add more ep in order to get a good outline on watercolor papers.  This is why I love my MISTI's!!  :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2020, 04:36 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am thinking about the paper too. Some WC paper is textured (there is smooth too) and the texture could be screwing you up. Double stamp the ink and then heat it for a longer period of time and move the gun at angles. Most people I see heat embossing on WC paper on blogs double or triple stamp the ink to get in all the nooks and crannies. Off course you may have done this already. 

As for the powder I always turn upside down and shake EP before using it because it can "settle" and components separate. Like the glue part...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2020, 06:06 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do use the smooth side of the watercolor paper, but I haven't tried shaking up the embossing powder before.  Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-21-2020, 06:18 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Good to shake embossing powder that has different sizes or types of powder; Rangers gold is uniform, nothing to mix up -  it’s all the same plastic bits. A powder/paper bond is likely - more heat? A bad batch? And still happy to pop some of my Rangers gold in the mail - in a little embossing powder container, not loose, haha. 
Reply With Quote Likes