Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2006, 08:33 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is your 'style' changing?

I'm a newbie stamper, so I am trying everything that comes my way in terms of style of the card. I have noticed that my cards are much different than when I started (thank goodness).

Have anyone of you noticed a great change in your cards since you started stamping? And in what way?

Do you want to develop a certain style and stick with it? Or do all sort of stuff?

Just curious!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 08:38 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

My style definetly changed. It went from "crap" to "not so bad". I'm anxiously awaiting the style change to "kind of good".

In terms of style- I'm kind of all over the board. I tend to go more towards simplistic, only because I'm a hoarder- but I also like to try new techniques. In that respect I don't think much has changed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 08:51 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Absolutely! Keep in mind, however, I've been stamping for 13 years . . .

When I first started, I did simple dye ink to paper, lots of cutting and 3D mounting. Then, I went down the road of complex techniques, collage, multi-layer embossing, DTP, --THE WHOLE GAMUT!

Eventually, I grew exhausted mimicking everything I saw, trying every technique out there, buying butt-loads of stuff that I used mebbe twice and then never again . . . in the end, I realized that I really just wanted to make simple, fresh cards that had some distinctive touches that really were "me".

That was one year ago.

And . . . I'm still on that quest. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 09:16 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I wouldn't say my style has changed a lot, per se... I still love making cards with animal stamps, and love nature-ish themes, and still make the same types of cards.

I would say that my talent has increased, as it should. Most of my first cards I didn't take photos of or anything (before I found SCS), but I remember them. The main thing that has changed is I am getting better at putting different stamps together, and using embellishments in a way that accents the card rather than takes focus away from the stamped art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Yes my style changes month to month! LOL!
My taste in stamps has changed over time, as well as types of paper, color combos and what not. Stamps I liked 3 years ago I wonder what I was thinking. There are some I'll treasure forever as well!
I think as artisit's we evolve with the changing trends. We all have our own unique style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

I have gone from cutesy embellishment loaded cards to a more simplistic straight lined card. Who knows what will be next. In the beginning my cards could get down right ugly! But now I have learned to just stick with my own style and not try to be way out there! I do however still like a good challenge and love to try a new technique. And I am always practicing my coloring techniques. But I now resist buying every new thing that comes out on the market. Ink, watercolors, good paper and stamps that can be used in different ways, good embossing supplies work for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

My stamping style has pretty much stayed the same----cutesy, whimsical, simple cards. What has changed, however, is my level of talent. I attribute my change in talent to practice and to this lovely website.

My scrapbooking style, however, has changed TREMENDOUSLY! I HATE my old scrapbooks that I did over 10 years ago. There are stickers EVERYWHERE! I hate it so much that I am thinking of redoing them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I *love* discussions like this--I'm a very shallow, I guess, normally, but these kinds of topics always make me delve deeply about all that artistic stuff within, and why I do what I do, what I'm hoping to achieve in my creations, successes, failures, experimentation and exploration . . . finding my way . . .

See? Deep thoughts. (chuckle!)

I know, I know . . . I'm freakin'

The best part of it? It's always evolving, as someone else mentioned--the journey never ends. I think that's cool. I hope I never get to the end of the road . . . UKWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I go through stages of needing all the latest stuff to taking a step back and trying to create something original. There's nothing wrong with CASEing and I've done it lots but it's nice to be able to think "Hey, I came up with that" even if it's only for a day or two before you realize there aren't as many original ideas/layouts left out there anymore. I don't mind though...I know I came up with it and it makes me really proud. I don't even care if 1 in 10 cards is a true "kellybee original"...I have fun making cards and my friends who are not card makers think I rock!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 12:14 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Default i love threads like this!

I love threads like this! That's why I started it!! (patting myself on back) :mrgreen:

JulieHRR, you crack me up. I double you are shallow...but in case your are (snicker), this thread can un-shallow you for a while!

I could go on and on with threads like this...all philosophical and the like.

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 12:15 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok, that was I DOUBT you are shallow...where is that edit button??

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 12:22 PM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I think my style is changing. Hopefully for the better. I think art and creativity is inspired by those around us, styles around us and circumstances as well. I always love learning new things. It is all pretty much a frame of mind. It seems I can't go anywhere now without being inspired by something I see. I am loving the journey and can't wait to see where it goes.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wish I could develop a style- then I could see if it would change. Maybe as I get more experinced?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 01:08 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My style is constantly changing. I've gone from very simple, to cute, to vintage, to elegant, etc. I think I just like to try new ways of doing things and is a part of growing as an artist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread is so interesting. I was just thinking the other day whether there is an SCS "style" -- many of the most beautiful cards have a similar style, although there are some stampers whose work I can pick out immediately without seeing their names.

In terms of my own style, I don't really have one, sad to say!! I'm still working on technique and patience. Getting the basics done correctly, neatly, etc. I am always in the market to learn about design. It is hard to learn when it doesn't come naturally -- that is why I love blogs where the stamper explains why she did this one thing, versus something else.

The one area where I'm developing is watercoloring. I expect that I will learn to buy stamps that emphasize that technique. One thing is for sure -- I need to find a way to use what I have and not constantly give in to the notion that "if I only had this one new thing" everything I make will be better. Doesn't work that way!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 02:23 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

I don't have any kind of art background so I don't even know how to 'define' my style. I'm pretty sure I've improved I just don't know what I'm doing! ha ha

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
This thread is so interesting. I was just thinking the other day whether there is an SCS "style" -- many of the most beautiful cards have a similar style, although there are some stampers whose work I can pick out immediately without seeing their names.

In terms of my own style, I don't really have one, sad to say!! I'm still working on technique and patience. Getting the basics done correctly, neatly, etc. I am always in the market to learn about design. It is hard to learn when it doesn't come naturally -- that is why I love blogs where the stamper explains why she did this one thing, versus something else.

The one area where I'm developing is watercoloring. I expect that I will learn to buy stamps that emphasize that technique. One thing is for sure -- I need to find a way to use what I have and not constantly give in to the notion that "if I only had this one new thing" everything I make will be better. Doesn't work that way!!
Joan - I love your Paperlicious site - I read it every day and just now put it together that it was you (slow little me)!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I have been a stamper for almost 12 years and my style has changed considerably. Styles and tools change as do personal preferences (I like earth tones now and wouldn't touch them a few years ago!) It is a journey!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 03:24 PM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

My style has changed alot. When I first started stamping I was into vintage. I mean REALLY into vintage. I did the shabby chic thing alot... and purchased just about every vintage set in the catty.

Then for some reason about 2 years ago I started moving out of vintage mode and now very little of what I make is vintage. And when it IS vintage, it is a cleaner vintage. A "not so shabby" shabby chic.

I've always been into techniques though and that has not changed for the most part, although a lack of time in the last 6 months has taken a toll on how often I do techniques on cards.
Michelle Laycock ~ #499 ~
Laycock Designs
Product Designer for Our Daily Bread designs , North Coast Creations and Partner Companies
"They're only crayons. You didn't fear them in kindergarten, why fear them now?" ~ Hugh MacLeod
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm finding that my style goes through many phases. I do have a certain consistency in my style, but there's also been a lot of flexibility over the years with the changes in trends.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

bump...let's keep this going

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 04:41 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

bump let's try that again

MY GALLERY

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 05:40 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

I think it is natural for your "style" to change as you learn and grow your art. Since I'm not trying to build a business that requires some consistence, I feel no need to be loyal to any particular style. I like learning new things, and just because I really liked to do cards with a particular kind of look last month doesn't mean I will be into that this month. I'm influenced by the season, by what's popular, by what all is going on in my life. You usually have to try on different hats before you find what works for you. Of course, just because you find a great hat doesn't mean you have to wear it forever and ever!

"Creativity is a continual surprise" (Ray Bradbury)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

I wouldn't say me style has changed -- at some point I just decided that I liked "cutesy" and there is nothing wrong with that!!! For the longest time I tried to be what I perceived as "artsy" and it didn't work. I finally found my niche (sp?) and am sticking to it!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
One thing is for sure -- I need to find a way to use what I have and not constantly give in to the notion that "if I only had this one new thing" everything I make will be better. Doesn't work that way!!
hooboy, i know what you mean!! i'm a pretty new stamper, starting this past summer and i can't believe (actually i can) how much stuff i've bought. if my hubby only knew!! eek. and by the way, if you think you've bought everything you need, DON'T check out the threads going about the CuttleBug!! oh lordy.

but i'm definitely in the beginner phase of trying everything out. i can't have a style until i know what techniques i like, what i can do efficiently (my 3-hour cards are nice, but that's a lotta time), what makes me happiest. making cards makes me really happy, but only if i don't sweat it. the minute i start thinking about what someone else will think, i freeze.

great questions and thread. this is just the best web community!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 10:01 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I have tried lots of things...but I really don't like what I did years ago anymore, so I can say "yes, my style has changed". I am kind of like Skittl above...I like to hoard, (if I USE it...then I won't HAVE it!) so I am trying to get over that and USE what I have.

SCS has helped me to define what I like and dislike...THANKS to everybody for putting so many ideas on here!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think my style changes week to week. I kinda get on kicks with colors or embellishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 11:15 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Good Lordy I sure hope I'm evolving cause my first cards were Uuuuugly... maybe even FUGLY.

I had to sense of balance, no use of negative/white space at all, and my color combo's were blinding at best.

I commited more than my fair share of assults on the poor retina's of my children...I hope I didn't scar them too severely in my zeal for a captive audience!

I'm pretty basic at this point. I've decided I like simplicity and soothing colors. I also like non traditional colors (My christmas card in my gallery is a perfect example... tan, moss, and butter yellow...lol...)

I'm at the stage now where I create things because it makes me happy to do so...I used to create handmade cards because I wanted to be thought of as clever or crafty, or because I was a "scrapbooker" and people expected hand made cards too.

Check out my current work at ScrapsaDaisy Designs

Every Monday is Daisy Day!

The Daisy Patch.. my SCS Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 11:16 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

oops... meant to type that I had NO sense of balance...

Where o Where is the EDIT button when you need it!?

tee hee

Check out my current work at ScrapsaDaisy Designs

Every Monday is Daisy Day!

The Daisy Patch.. my SCS Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #30  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

What I thought was my style when I started stamping 2 years ago has undergone vast changes. I worked on a design project recently where I was forced to really reflect on what I liked and what "my" style was and I determined that I currently have 4 distinct looks that I create in. They are all a reflection of my interests.

I must say that designing for manufacturers has pushed me out of my box and most often for the better. It has helped me to try new styles and images that I would nevah have touched, but now I have a deep appreciation for them.

The point of this rambling is, never say never. You might find someday that you end up at a place you least expected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my style of stamp taste has changed a little bit.
I really love Floral and Nature Stamp set's.

I really don't care who makes them as long as they are deeply etched images. And don't cost an arm and a leg to purchase them

I am begining to see some changes in my stamping too.

I'm wanting to create better looking cards.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #32  
MnM
Crimping Master

Yes. but......... It all depends on what I am working on. I used to be stuck in a collage rut. Then all my cards started looking the same. I had to force myself to do "cute" cards.
So now I think I have a happy balance between cutsie and artsy. I like knowing that I can produce good stuff no matter what "style" of stamp is in my hand at the time.
I also don't say things like " I hate glitter" or " I don't like embossing" anymore.
In the past year I started using glitter.............yeah me ......using glitter. I used to hate the stuff. I have been stamping 15 years and never touched glitter till last winter. :rolleyes:
M
Reply With Quote Likes