Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Your local supplier

Hello, I was wondering how many have independent stores in their cities other than a Michael’s? In that case what are they doing to keep you supplied and motivated at this time?

Fortunately we have two in my city that are doing regular Facebook tutorials etc and are offering to mail or curb side pick up for supplies.

I guess it goes without saying, some are saving money by not buying. At the same time I miss not being able to browse in real time as opposed to my pc. Having said that I am so grateful that I do have this available to me.
At the present I am making Christmas tags.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I don't have any independent stores local to me. My husband and I are likely to keep our jobs so this week, I made a couple of small purchases from small companies online.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not aware of any small shops in Tulsa. We used to have several scrapbook stores, but they did not do much for card makers. My purchases are 75% online, and even my Stampin Up is completely online. My demo is in Minnesota and I have never been to a party. Other purchases are Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Joann's stores are very uninviting, so I shop there online.
I keep inspired through Pinterest, and blogs, as I have NO friends who are crafty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2020, 09:46 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My local shop is the best place. I miss going into the shop in person so much; there's nothing like seeing products in person and talking to people who really know the products they sell.
The owners also show videos on social media; they post pics of new arrivals; they are super fast to reply to online questions or requests. They do all of these things all the time. What they are doing now is taking orders online (they were just getting their online system set up and now it is working) and either mailing orders or doing a curb-side pick-up at the shop. You can also call and order.
I got such a nice note in with my package, I know they are grateful for the business.
If you are lucky enough to have a local shop and you are assuming they are absolutely closed down/not doing business right now... please consider contacting them and asking about making purchases during this tough time.

PS this fabulous place is It's All About the Scrapbook in Dixon, CA. Right off of I-80 about a half hour west of Sacramento.
If you're anywhere near here, when the world settles down this shop is absolutely worth the trip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2020, 04:33 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I have a little scrapbook store right down the road and I a grateful for them. The owners have been doing Facebook Live scrapping and card making events weekly and they keep in touch with their customers almost daily. When they can reopen, their crops are going to be mob scenes 'cuz we all to get out of the house and enjoy some fellowship with our community of scrappers.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2020, 06:42 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

While I love my LSS, they are closed by city law now for the pandemic.

What she did just email us to say is she is doing a fast down and dirty run to the store for one day and will ship anything we ordered online by herself.
It is bitter for them....they JUST moved locations after a protracted lease thing. Which of course had expenses around it. So the timing is terrible. :(

But she has been emailing to show us what the staff has been making at home on their intagrams etc. and just chatting with us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Kudos to those shop owners who Are being innovative in keeping us supplied and providing inspiration. I am appreciative of this. If we have to stay at home it’s good to know we can get that glue or whatever.

Pinterest can also provide a lot of inspiration for card makers and Scrapbookers......one can spend a lot of time there lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2020, 07:39 AM   #8  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,381 Likes on 515 Posts

I have an LSS about a 40 minute drive from me. They've been in business for 21 years so they have a very loyal and established clientele. Some of their classes have moved online and they are taking orders by phone and email to ship to customers or leave for curbside pickup. They are also using Facebook to demo new product arrivals and - I thought this was wonderful - offering personal Facebook shopping walk-throughs. An employee walks around the store with a cart and a camera so you can see the products and you can tell them what to put in the cart as you see it. The LSS published their May class calendar because they anticipate re-opening May 1.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 64 Likes on 34 Posts

There isn't a LSS within at least 50 miles. I buy almost exclusively from S.U. I would happily patronize a local shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #10  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSS

No stores in my town, or even my county, anymore. There are a few small stores in Orange County, California. They are offering shipping and curbside pickup. My favorite store is an hour and a half away. She has always had a strong online presence and continues that, but shipping is very slow now. She is having to do all the shipping alone. I will order from her when I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

We have a shop in Tukwila, WA called "Impress". Impress Cards Crafts and Rubber Stamps They have been closed and boy do I miss them! Can't wait to see them again. No online tutorials, but a great online gallery of ideas! They are offering curbside pick up for online and phone orders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 08:56 AM   #12  
Cardstock Collector

There is a wonderful scrapbooking and card making store close to me. She has been open only a few years but has great retreats and awesome items in her store. Lots of dies, paper, ink, stamps, you name it. Because we have a stay at home order from our Governor, (MN) she has been doing a Facebook live video of new items and then has specials you can purchase. As others, curb side pick up or mailing. Her specials you can't beat.
The name of the store is "Firefly Farm" in Pine Island, MN if you are ever in the area.
I know she has been working on a website to make purchasing easier for people. Should be ready soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Default Local paper crafting store - papercraftclubhouse.com

My store in Connecticut does it all! We can shop online, by phone including facetime, they ship or do curbside pickup for locals. Just spoke with them and they have been filling orders and adding all sorts of new inventory to their website. They have a clearance section so they can make room for all their new goodies. I support them and I hope you do too. They are located on the Long Island Sound and directly across the street from a resort hotel. When Covid 19 is behind us and we can travel again, I highly recommend a well-deserved trip to visit in person. In normal times, they have crops, celebrity classes, and so many other classes you could not possibly attend them all with being MIA every weekend of the year. we love them:
The Papercraft Clubhouse
1566 Boston Post Rd, Westbrook, CT 06498
(860) 399-4443
papercraftclubhouse.com
Go online and check them outCall them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 495 Likes on 164 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntiof8View Post
We have a shop in Tukwila, WA called "Impress". Impress Cards Crafts and Rubber Stamps They have been closed and boy do I miss them! Can't wait to see them again. No online tutorials, but a great online gallery of ideas! They are offering curbside pick up for online and phone orders.
I LOVE Impress!! Just placed an online order with them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 07:46 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The closet store to me is 200 miles away. I am an SU demo, so I get almost all my supplies fromSU. There is a wonderful LSS in Door County, WI. When I go there, once a year maybe....I always go there to look, feel, touch and buy some DP.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 08:32 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow you all that have a local store are lucky. All I have is Michaels, and it's a hassle to get to (do not drive). Years ago when I was young, I had loads of stores within walking distance of my residence, and it was so great. World Market being one, as an example of how cool my neighborhood was. Also some kind of New Agey, Pagan chain store (that had awesome stuff! I have a tiny, wearable wind chime from that place, and it hangs on my mirror right now). I get that's not a crafting store, but the feeling is much like what you are all describing and I'd love to have a craft store close enough to walk to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

We have no local suppliers in my town and Hobby Lobby and Tuesday Morning have closed so all of my shopping has been on the internet. Surprisingly to me, I have fallen back in love with digital stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2020, 11:16 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I'm not aware of any small shops in Tulsa. We used to have several scrapbook stores, but they did not do much for card makers. My purchases are 75% online, and even my Stampin Up is completely online. My demo is in Minnesota and I have never been to a party. Other purchases are Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Joann's stores are very uninviting, so I shop there online.
I keep inspired through Pinterest, and blogs, as I have NO friends who are crafty.
You have LOTS of crafty friends - us!!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2020, 11:29 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
We have no local suppliers in my town and Hobby Lobby and Tuesday Morning have closed so all of my shopping has been on the internet. Surprisingly to me, I have fallen back in love with digital stamps.
I love Tuesday Morning. Managed to get to one about a month before Lockdown and blew my budget on crafting stuff.

Now that I know TM has such things, I'm DYING to make a special trip there with a load of cash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2020, 05:26 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Thank you Jennifer, Biblesistersmom! I do have lots of crafty friends here, but I have no one who wants to craft in person. All my friends appreciate my talents sent to them in card form, but truly they have no artistic talent to even try to make a card.
I'm OK with having no visitors in my craft room (if you know what I mean).
Reply With Quote Likes