Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #201  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

This thread is just GREATNESS!

So, 10 years ago when I starting scrapbooking - it was STICKERS!! I still have tons bought then and my grandkids love them!

Sometimes, I like a trend........ I am so tired of cupcakes - BLECH

I am also tired of not having the creativeness that some have to come up with the things they make, etc.... ( envy - hehehehe )

There is more, just not enough time right now.......

Valerie - I am soooo sorry about your little dogger!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 AM   #202  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 3,394 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Oh yes stickers, can't do with them but my grandson who is three also loves them.

Ive done far too many owl cards, and I hate the trend of crochet on cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 08:24 AM   #203  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am So over most all of everything I have LOL..

I am over fibers on things like those paper bag minis..and such..they just make me want to sneeze..the dust ~shudders~ I too am kind of freaked out by the big headed kids..the faceless people..I don't care for steam punk I have seen it work well for others but when I try it ..it just looks like more "junk" than punk. I am over way over done cards that look more like a hanging of wall paper..big flowers..crocheted flowers..jewels..pearls..just way too much for me. I don't really get into charms..and such either...or random stamps (think the hand pointing at something wth?) Or random words..I can't send a card to someone that just says "imagine" ..Imagine what? Maybe those work well for scrap pages but not so well on cards. Oh and weird looking animals...( think a tall rabbit in a suit for example)..chairs..I so don't get the chair thing..headless people..That creeps me out.

I personally love the realistic imagines..I also LOVE to color..but am kind of over the whole Copic thing as well..( in my case I think it is a bit of envy..but I am a prismacolor girl )

I will be back..just need to think about it..LOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 01:12 PM   #204  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my...I look around my craft room and I have every single thing that you guys are "over":(:(:(

I have the same problem with card making that I have with home decor: I like darn near everything! I can appreciate all styles and am especially enamored of birds and bird cages. I can't really bother to keep up with the "trendy" stuff. I just buy what I like.

I guess my contribution to the list would be another vote for high prices for products and shipping!

Last edited by Kristipapercreatio; 08-09-2011 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: pesky misspelling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #205  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristipapercreatioView Post
Oh my...I look around my craft room and I have every single thing that you guys are "over":(

I have the same problem with card making that I have with home decor: I like darn near everything! I can appreciate all styles and am especially enamored of birds and bird cages. I can't really bother to keep up with the "trendy" stuff. I just buy what I like.

It's all good!

I love birds, trendy or not. Bird cages, too.

I love florals. And trees. And hearts.

People poo-poo eyelets as no longer trendy. I don't care. (hair flip) I love 'em, still use 'em and prolly always will. ;)

I just think it's a funny thread--I am always poking fun at myself over such things (which is why I linked to the "Put a bird on it" video). Totally cracks me!

I think the key is did you buy it BECAUSE it was trendy, or because you just liked it? If you like it, you'll use it! Be happy making what you like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #206  
Matboard Maniac

Pennants, Owls, Cricut, Ice Cream Cones
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #207  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
[B]It's all good![/B]

I love birds, trendy or not. Bird cages, too.

I love florals. And trees. And hearts.

People poo-poo eyelets as no longer trendy. I don't care. (hair flip) I love 'em, still use 'em and prolly always will. ;)

I just think it's a funny thread--I am always poking fun at myself over such things (which is why I linked to the "Put a bird on it" video). Totally cracks me!

I think the key is did you buy it BECAUSE it was trendy, or because you just liked it? If you like it, you'll use it! Be happy making what you like!
Exactly!!! If you don't like it, don't buy it/do it! Do what you like whether it's trendy, overdone, old fashioned or not. I own lots of things and am not "over" them by any means even though many are on the lists of "so overs" and many are really old--1990's. Guess I don't even know what's trendy or way out of style and I don't care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #208  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristipapercreatioView Post
Oh my...I look around my craft room and I have every single thing that you guys are "over":(:(:(I have the same problem with card making that I have with home decor: I like darn near everything! I can appreciate all styles and am especially enamored of birds and bird cages. I can't really bother to keep up with the "trendy" stuff. I just buy what I like.

I guess my contribution to the list would be another vote for high prices for products and shipping!
If you like it that is all that matters! Enjoy your stash! I agree with you on the costs and shipping.....just ridiculous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #209  
Matboard Maniac

Please go............12x12 stacks, 4 0f each sheet, designs far too big for cardmaking, struggle to use one sheet but got to buy it anyway!!! Girls with huge eyes.

Please stay, Digi stamps of food,spices, kitchen scenes. I love to make xmas gifts with herb/ spice blends. Tea towels rolled with a digi stamped band around. Serious flower stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 04:50 PM   #210  
Kookie Creator

Never got into the vintage thing and shabby chic and got tired of seeing it. I think it's the Type A personality that makes me like the cleaner designs more. I guess I just can't loosen up enough to get shabby chic. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #211  
Matboard Maniac

Oh, this thread is hilarious!! You are all so observant, and funny.

I am so over certain holiday sentiment stamps. Greeting cards for Thanksgiving anyone? I've never in my life received a Thanksgiving or Halloween greeting card - who does that? Happy Fourth of July. Really?
Let me know and set me straight, 'cuz I've got a box of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #212  
Hardware Hotshot

I have never sent nor received a Thanksgiving card either. I also never bought any stamps for Thanksgiving.

I send "one" Halloween card to my Son-In-law who loves Halloween and decorates the outside of their house and lawn.
Therefore , I have one SU Halloween set and he will be seeing a lot of that set LOL

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 08-12-2011 at 04:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #213  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I send Thanksgiving and 4th of July cards!! Several cards each to each nephew and niece! However, I try to send one card to each of them per mail day (15 cards per week). So around any holiday, the cards I make get defined by that upcoming holiday. My favourite holiday is Halloween, so I make lots of those YEAR ROUND and give them to my husband.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #214  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary HansenView Post

I am so over certain holiday sentiment stamps. Greeting cards for Thanksgiving anyone? I've never in my life received a Thanksgiving or Halloween greeting card - who does that? Happy Fourth of July. Really?
I do, I do I do!!! I send out Thanksgiving, Halloween and July 4th. Have such fun stamping and people love getting cards, so why not? I get a few on those occasions (mostly Thanksgiving), but that makes no difference to me. I take any occasion to make a card and friends and relatives seem to enjoy them. I make about 15 "back to school" cards for friends and relatives who work in education, as well as the holidays you mentioned. I only have one July 4th stamp, 2 Thanksgiving stamps (one Happy Harvest), and 2 Halloween greetings (along with a cute little "eek") and can always use alphabets for "Boo" and "trick or treat." Keeps me off the streets! Ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #215  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I send cards for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Easter and Valentine's as well as Christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, get well, congrats, sympathy, thinking of you to family and friends. I actually send out about 15 Thanksgiving cards. We're a retired military family and have friends all over and this is one way to keep in touch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #216  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I seem to be the card sender, not the receiver in my family. But everyone always emails or calls when I send them cards, so I keep it up. They say they love receiving them. I have a DIL who lives across the country who frequently says it's like getting a little piece of art in her mailbox. You can't beat that for encouragement.

I make cards for all the holidays, including Thanksgiving and Halloween. In between holidays I send lots of birthday and general thinking of you cards.

There was someone, I think on this forum, who said she never sent out any of her cards, just kept them in boxes. Now that, I do not understand. I say make them and mail them!

Oops - got OT. I meant to say I haven't gotten over anything.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 07:38 PM   #217  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 123 Likes on 109 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharityHandView Post
I'm over making cards for non-existent people, events and occasions. I have limited craft time so why waste it on a card that I can give to someone someday rather than (insert name here) now? Just for the sake of a photo in the gallery or blog, the opportunity to use that one particular stamp that probably has no other use.

I now only make my cards when I have a particular person in mind and have a reason for doing so.
I understand what you're saying because I used to feel the same way. Then I was introduced to Operation Write Home, an organization that collects handcrafted cards to send to our military men and women stationed overseas, so that they may write home to their loved ones. Our troops don't have easy access to the Hallmark store or Walmart or Target when they'd like to send a card home to their spouse, parents or children, kwim? So now, if I'm working on a challenge card and I don't have a specific friend or family member in mind for it, I make the card for OWH. I use a lot of generic sentiments like "thinking of you", "I miss you", etc.

As far as storage goes - I keep the cards for OWH in a Priority Mail box, which really doesn't take up much space. When the box is full, I send it off to them.

I'm sure there are other organizations that gladly accept donated cards, too. I used OWH as my example from my own personal experience.

I just wanted to suggest the idea of donating cards for any of you who would enjoy making more cards but feel like you don't have anyone specific to give the cards to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #218  
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

I don't like cartoon images of people like Holly Hobby type stamps.
Still laughing at above "who does that" in regards to sending Thanksgiving and Halloween cards. That is similar to how I feel. I sure love the images though.
love my eyelets
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #219  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I do, I do I do!!! I send out Thanksgiving, Halloween and July 4th. Have such fun stamping and people love getting cards, so why not? I get a few on those occasions (mostly Thanksgiving), but that makes no difference to me. I take any occasion to make a card and friends and relatives seem to enjoy them. I make about 15 "back to school" cards for friends and relatives who work in education, as well as the holidays you mentioned. I only have one July 4th stamp, 2 Thanksgiving stamps (one Happy Harvest), and 2 Halloween greetings (along with a cute little "eek") and can always use alphabets for "Boo" and "trick or treat." Keeps me off the streets! Ha!

I agree! I send out cards for the oddball/non-traditional holidays too! And I have lots of sentiment stamps that are less than traditional for those unique situations that may appear to be a useless card, but it is not. Everyone I send cards to loves them and looks forward to them to the point where they start dropping hints around the holidays. I also found out that a good friend of mine has kept every card for the last 7 years and another girl actually has framed her favorites!! My friends' mantlepieces and tabletops are like a graveyard of my cards....I think to myself, "you still have that?" You can't beat that kind of encouragement. I think that is 90% of the fun of having invested $6-8,000.00 over the years into paper crafting supplies....to ACTUALLY USE THEM! and I'm not complaining because I love my designer craft supplies and gadgets. It has been one of the most rewarding and fun hobbies (obsession) I've had....and I've had a few. If I just wanted to stick to Christmas, Easter, and Birthdays.....I'm thinking Hallmark would have been the cheaper, less frustrating route! I also don't usually invest in wrapping paper, gift tags, gift bags, bows and the like....so I REALLY get my Stampin' dollars worth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 05:30 AM   #220  
Matboard Maniac

I send cards to my kids every week. Other cards I make get put in a file for emergencies (like when I don't have time to stamp) and for gifts. I used to give to my MIL and gave some to a c0-worker for her birthday this year since she is always admiring my cards. She almost cried and said it was the best gift she ever got. (I don't believe that but glad she liked them) A set of cards makes an awesome gift for non-stamping people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 07:03 AM   #221  
Pearl-ExPert

My sister displays all the cards I send her---especially those from the "smaller holidays" as she says she doesn't have decorations for those (July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving, St. Pat's Day, Valentine's Day etc. She saves them and brings them out year after year. She sent me the attached photo of what she did with the July 4th cards I sent. When I saw all the work she went to, it brought a lump to my throat. She said some cards get their own frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Are you so over it???-dscn2718.jpg   Are you so over it???-dscn2717.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #222  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
My sister displays all the cards I send her---especially those from the "smaller holidays" as she says she doesn't have decorations for those (July 4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving, St. Pat's Day, Valentine's Day etc. She saves them and brings them out year after year. She sent me the attached photo of what she did with the July 4th cards I sent. When I saw all the work she went to, it brought a lump to my throat. She said some cards get their own frame.

I love that! I hope that everyone I send cards to feels that way. That's awesome!

"Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else.� Judy Garland
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #223  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a big joke in my family. All my inlaws are overseas and I just don't have time with work deadlines to write everyone personal letters in November to go with Christmas cards so they all get Halloween cards with a long letter in them and then the Christmas card is just our signatures. I then do another big letter card in the spring. It may be Valentines or St. Paddy's Day, just to remind me to send them. I started doing this long before my husband told me that Halloween is really a North American holiday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #224  
Polyshrink Goddess

i send them out, but probably cuz i make them. I don't think i would if i had to go to the store and get them. My mom has pretty much always sent out cards to us kids on some of those, easter,, thanksgiving halloween, valentines, 4th of july, and of course christmas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 08:25 AM   #225  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

jeanne3579 -- How fortunate that your sister appreciates the work and artistry that goes into your cards and adds her own touch to it! That's in high contrast to the number of threads I've seen here bemoaning people who just throw out handmade cards. Thank your sister for all of us, and tell her to spread the word!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 AM   #226  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
jeanne3579 -- How fortunate that your sister appreciates the work and artistry that goes into your cards and adds her own touch to it! That's in high contrast to the number of threads I've seen here bemoaning people who just throw out handmade cards. Thank your sister for all of us, and tell her to spread the word!
I thanked her when I saw it, but I will be sure to let her know that I am lucky that she does so as she seems to be in a minority. I also correspond with an elderly lady from my old neighborhood and she makes a bulletin board of my card. (Think she is on the second one.) Then my DH saves every card to "paper" the walls of her craft room---someday when she has one! A cousin I have saves all my cards (usually send only Christmas and birthday to her and her husband. Guess I get enough strokes (although it has only been recently that I have learned of these) that I don't really care what is done with the cards I send, but that has always been my attitude! I just love making and sending cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #227  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is a good chuckle! And I'm trying to think of something I'm "over" with... when it comes to my own stamping style and likes, I don't think there's anything! I have been pretty consistent since I started stamping.

I have always, and always will, only buy what I love. So no matter how old it gets, I still like it. In fact, I have a wish list of old SU sets long ago retired that I would love to own. Every now and then I find one listed on ebay that's on my list and I treat myself to it. I think if you invest in what you love, you'll be happy with your "stash".

I have had things given to me that aren't truly my cup'o'tea, but I donate them or re-gift them to someone I know will enjoy them more-so than me.

However, I am sooooo over certain magazines. Month after month of the same. I was so HAPPY when my subscription renewal notice came in the mail and I got to TOSS it in the RECYCLE bin!
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #228  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
The images of kids with big heads and no mouths...
I know what you mean! I suspect these were designed for people to add their own mouths to, but no-one does and suddenly it's really sinister!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #229  
Glitter Queen

I'm enjoying reading this thread so much!
All of you have great comments, some funny stories and some sad too.
Most of the stamps that I have, I still like - and use most of them, but the one thing that I am over, is patterned paper. I love making my own backgrounds, and use a variety of techniques ( the messier the better ! ) so I wish that I had never bought all those giant packs of paper.
I too am tired of all the "new" stuff that companies come out with every year. When I see all those "sneak peeks" of the CHA products I try to remind myself that I have enough stuff to last me the next twenty years and then some. I'm only buying adhesive and re-inkers. I refuse to buy anything else - unless it's really trendy of course! ;););)

A day without stamping is like a day without sunshine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #230  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
This thread is a good chuckle! And I'm trying to think of something I'm "over" with... when it comes to my own stamping style and likes, I don't think there's anything! I have been pretty consistent since I started stamping.

I have always, and always will, only buy what I love. So no matter how old it gets, I still like it. In fact, I have a wish list of old SU sets long ago retired that I would love to own. Every now and then I find one listed on ebay that's on my list and I treat myself to it. I think if you invest in what you love, you'll be happy with your "stash".

I have had things given to me that aren't truly my cup'o'tea, but I donate them or re-gift them to someone I know will enjoy them more-so than me.

However, I am sooooo over certain magazines. Month after month of the same. I was so HAPPY when my subscription renewal notice came in the mail and I got to TOSS it in the RECYCLE bin!
Amen, SweetMissDaisy, Amen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #231  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafting ClareView Post
I know what you mean! I suspect these were designed for people to add their own mouths to, but no-one does and suddenly it's really sinister!
Now, let's not be so hasty....I have a 13 year-old girl that would look fabulous with no mouth and sound even better, but not a stamp! LOL...I admit the stamped images are a bit creepy no matter how bright and cheery the dsp, ribbon and embellishments are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #232  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafting ClareView Post
I do, I do! I add mouths (and noses and eyelashes) to them! But it IS a pain to draw a mouth on every time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 AM   #233  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary HansenView Post

I'm with you on Halloween...I only send to my niece and nephews. BUT I send out dozens of Thanksgiving cards. It's part of my attitude of gratitude. I send them to people I love to let them know how thankful I am that they are in my life. I also send them randomly to friends who don't communicate with me anymore, just so they know I still remember them fondly.

I think it's a crime that Thanksgiving gets lost between the hyper-commercialism of Halloween and Christmas. So I reject reality and substitute my own!

PS If you send me your snail mail address, I'll send you a Thanksgiving card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 AM   #234  
Rubber Obsessor

I send Halloween cards to all of my grandkids and my young nieces and nephews. I usually send Thanksgiving cards to my parents, children, grandchildren, and siblings. Fourth of July cards and Bon Voyage cards are useless to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 12:47 PM   #235  
Mad Swapper

I can't say I'm "over" anything.. but there are a few things I never liked to begin with-- Grunge/shabby chic, vintage, the sewing theme.. I mean I know very few people who actually sew, so I can't imagine who would appreciate a card with sewing machines and stuff on it.

But on the other hand, most of what y'all are tired of, I think I will always love, including owls, birds, flowers, butterflies, etc. Someone else made a perfect point-- If you buy it because YOU like it, you'll use it. If you buy it because everyone else did and you don't want to be left out, you'll get tired of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #236  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
That said, I did find this video that pokes fun at trends absolutely HYSTERICAL!!!

Put a bird on it
That video just made my day! Beyonce's "Put a Ring on it" was running through my head the whole time! ROFLMAO

This thread is great! And a reminder not to take trends too seriously!

So adding to my list of trends I'm over: pennants--I just can't make them work on a card, however, I still admire the work of people who do.

And I'm keeping my shabby chic/steampunk/collage/grungy/rhinestoned/crazy random words! So there! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 03:35 AM   #237  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am soo over having this sinus infection - blowing your nose every 2 minutes, having to talk on the phone sounding like a DUH... and then there are my ears, which can't hear very well...... WHAT??? can you speak louder????

hehehehehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2011, 01:38 PM   #238  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
I am soo over having this sinus infection - blowing your nose every 2 minutes, having to talk on the phone sounding like a DUH... and then there are my ears, which can't hear very well...... WHAT??? can you speak louder????

hehehehehe
Sorry to hear you're not feeling well! Sinus infections are the worse, so I can empathize....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #239  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks! LOL

I think I made one guy mad yesterday on the phone, cause I just couldn't hear him.
I finally told him I had a double ear infection and couldn't hear very well, and he was nicer then
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #240  
Compulsive Stamper

birds and bulky stuff
Reply With Quote Likes