Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2021, 05:42 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is this the year of crafting burn out?

Anyone else seeing a trend in videos ? I watch several presenters and they seem to be copying each other with “I quit” and “ use what you have” themes. None of these seem to have the usual upbeat presentations of the past. It is refreshing to see one doesn’t need all new stuff to create, but the tones I am picking up are that there is more struggle than joy in the process. Anyone have any recommendations of new and enthusiastic channels to watch?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 06:08 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot of the channels I watch rarely post videos these days, if at all. I have decided to be very grateful for all the videos they did post in the last year and to realize that they are as tired, stressed and bored as I am. Did y'all hear that yesterday was the 1 year anniversary of the first reported case of Covid in the US. I would suspect there is a large amount of burnout in general worldwide at this point, it is what it is.

We are also used to a huge push of videos this time of year for Creatavation which isn't happening. We'll just have to encourage each other to be crafty, creative and inventive paper crafters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 06:38 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I agree about the burn out. Everyone, both crafters and non-crafters are anxious to get out of the house and do some new things, go some new places. Some will come back to their craft rooms and some will not. I'm guessing that we will see some of our favorite paper crafters expand what they do in the arts/creative world over the course of the next year.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #4  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I've noticed the same thing. I think the Youtube people have been pushed to come out with so many new ideas that it has them overwhelmed. I have always wondered how they could constantly design so many new things, as product comes out so fast there isn't even time to play with something before there are new releases.

It seems to me the more new product a company pushes out the less I am interested in their products. I recently looked at a new monthly release by a company and I had to actually go check if the new stamps were new or not. They look exactly like old stamps that they already have or perhaps already retired. This company used to be one of my absolute favorite companies. When they suddenly retired (and instantly sold out) an add-on to a die that I had purchased but had not been able to purchase the add-on yet, I was disappointed. I realized this last week that I have not purchased any product from that company since they announced that retirement. It has pushed me to really think about purchases from them and I will not purchase another item that has an add-on/consumable.

I am also over the hold your breath, we are going to introduce new product. I don't want or need the drama. Just tell me what day I can go to your web site and actually purchase the products. I don't need daily sneak peaks that lead to a catalog with items that can't be purchased for another month. I think the designers are doing an amazing job, but the companies they design for may need to take a self-reflective look at their behavior, because in my opinion, they own some of the reason for the burn out.

I find the designers who dig out something from their stash and make something new to be very inspiring. I hope we see a little more of that kind of thing in the future.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't seen a lot of new product that really excites me, which is good because my wishlists have been long enough. I have lots of new things I got last month I need to soend time creating with anyway.

May I suggest you go to your favorite channels and watch some old videos? I always find Jennifer Maguire and Kristina Werner inspiring, and they have been doing videos for a long time. Besides, you might find them crafting with stuff you already own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

You might want to look at the thread about which You Tubers people are watching. Still plenty out there go going! I am actually unhooking myself. I have plenty of ideas in my notebook to do already and I dont want the temptation on new product.

YouTubers I watch by Paula O. at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
I find the designers who dig out something from their stash and make something new to be very inspiring. I hope we see a little more of that kind of thing in the future.
I'm enjoying seeing a bit of this here on SCS in people's galleries as well.

Go for it! Use those older stamps!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2021, 08:01 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 218 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't know about the crafters posting on youtube, but I do know that I've had practically zero mojo for nearly a year : ( Somehow, I just can't get inspired to do much in my craft room. I'm trying to slowly get myself back into doing a few challenges here on Splitcoast, but this has been the longest spell of no inspiration I've ever felt with paper crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2021, 05:29 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm shopping my stash this year, no new purchases for me except consumables (tape, glue, etc) as I run out. Doing this has increased my creativity. I am looking on SCS and Pinterest for ideas for old stamp sets I have and have gotten excited again about them.

I recently got the SAB and mini catalogs for SU and nothing in there excited me enough to purchase from them. Even the cards created and posted by the demos hasn't excited me enough to purchase. I threw the SAB in the trash and will probably do the same for the mini.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2021, 07:33 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I'm seeing that trend as well in videos. I can say as a regular crafter, though, that I know what I've been doing this past year being at home nearly all the time... first I went through a crafting frenzy. I completed a bunch (not all though LOL) of unfinished projects and kits that I had purchased. I then went on a shopping binge and got a bunch of new stuff (okay that happens a lot of the time anyway) and played with that. I was so focused on creating that my craftroom deteriorated into an even hotter mess than usual. Autumn brought the usual Holiday Crafting Overwhelm, and towards the end of the year I could barely move around in my craftroom. So I went through a Purge and really really got my stuff organized. Where I am leading with all this is that now I've immersed myself in my stuff for the better part of a year, then got rid of a lot of the things I was so excited to get my hands on at the time I bought them, I feel like I am at last seeing clearly about Exactly How Much Stuff I Need To Be Happy. I have been educated, thoroughly. And I'd bet that anyone who has done the same has come to the realization that we don't need all the new stuff, all the time. And if you're a you-tuber or design team member or blogger, I'd think you would feel that even more strongly than the average crafter. So I feel like the pandemic has made a real impact on our attitudes and feelings about acquiring crafty things, and we are definitely seeing that reflected in videos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Sometimes the only thing that I think keeps me going is all the crafting challenges I participate in. I have been doing this for a number of years and they help me think outside the box. I felt like all my cards were looking the same. What fun is that?

I participate in the Splitcoast challenges right here and also challenges at:
Paper Playful and Challenges for Days

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2021, 02:43 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjzimView Post
I don't know about the crafters posting on youtube, but I do know that I've had practically zero mojo for nearly a year : ( Somehow, I just can't get inspired to do much in my craft room. I'm trying to slowly get myself back into doing a few challenges here on Splitcoast, but this has been the longest spell of no inspiration I've ever felt with paper crafting.
I completely understand lack of inspiration. I felt really kicked in the gut when Operation Write Home ended. I was really enjoying just creating cards, lots of cards, not knowing who they would ultimely go to. I overthink all the cards I make to send to people I know: What would make them happy, What should I say, What design would be appealing. The design/decision process often brings me to a halt. I absolutely steal ideas from Pinterest, altering them to fit the event for the cards.
I have an idea for you: Send me a card! I'm 74 and still working almost full time. I want to retire, but need a replacement that it will take me 2 months to train. I have 6 grandkids, from 16 to 23 from my son and my daughter. I'm not afraid of Covid, and I'm not sick. I'm in a great place with the Lord. I don't have a lot of needs. I have NO friends who are crafters, so I rely on SCS to connect with fellow crafters. If this sparks your interests you PM me for my address. I saw your very cute gallery, so I would like to see what you can do now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2021, 04:27 PM   #13  

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I know I've been feeling burned out and unmotivated to create lately. What is making me happy is digging through my older stuff - I LOVE the feel of the wood blocks and that they are ready to go, there are memories attached to my older stuff that give me warm fuzzies when using them, and it feels new to me since it's been awhile since I've used any of it.

I've never been into the monthly new releases or keeping up with trends. It's too fast-paced and doesn't give me time to fully enjoy what I already have. A lot of the fun, I think, is in recreating something I've seen using what I have. It's enjoyable to dig through my stash and devise ways to come up with something similar.

The secret, for me, to enjoying this hobby is to stick to one or two companies I love, create at my own pace, and focus on the creating (not the buying).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RenTView Post
Yes I'm seeing that trend as well in videos. I can say as a regular crafter, though, that I know what I've been doing this past year being at home nearly all the time... first I went through a crafting frenzy. I completed a bunch (not all though LOL) of unfinished projects and kits that I had purchased. I then went on a shopping binge and got a bunch of new stuff (okay that happens a lot of the time anyway) and played with that. I was so focused on creating that my craftroom deteriorated into an even hotter mess than usual. Autumn brought the usual Holiday Crafting Overwhelm, and towards the end of the year I could barely move around in my craftroom. So I went through a Purge and really really got my stuff organized. Where I am leading with all this is that now I've immersed myself in my stuff for the better part of a year, then got rid of a lot of the things I was so excited to get my hands on at the time I bought them, I feel like I am at last seeing clearly about Exactly How Much Stuff I Need To Be Happy. I have been educated, thoroughly. And I'd bet that anyone who has done the same has come to the realization that we don't need all the new stuff, all the time. And if you're a you-tuber or design team member or blogger, I'd think you would feel that even more strongly than the average crafter. So I feel like the pandemic has made a real impact on our attitudes and feelings about acquiring crafty things, and we are definitely seeing that reflected in videos.
Hi Renee...Hugs from Folsom (Pauline)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2021, 11:50 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't watched a lot of crafting videos the past few years -- well, until just recently. But I vividly recall one YouTuber who complained about all the work she put into her videos in exchange for product. That got me thinking . . .

A lot of the crafting YouTubers we watch might not like their products as much as they say because they worry that saying something negative might cause them to get fewer freebies. Also, working for product is still work -- except the pay sucks. It is essentially CHEAP advertisement for companies. A sort of a "voluntary slave labor" in my view.

Another thing that may be happening is the 2020 burnout that has nothing to do with crafting. Maybe some people are realizing that family, physical & mental health and friends are more important than running a YouTube channel.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I agree Melissa...2020 has made us look at priorities a little bit more.

You're right on about the 'slave labor' as well. Design team members receive product, yes, but in many instances are expected to blog a minimum number of times a month, and some ask for a minimum number of videos a month as well. I have seen quite a few people decide that product only for long hours of work over and over every month isn't worth it by the hour...and their love for their artwork is suffering as well. I've seen that some have said "I've had enough" in the past few months.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2021, 01:15 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I think this feeling of craft burn out goes along with the urge to purge through this pandemic year. Almost everyone I know went through cupboards and closets and got rid of items they've been hanging onto for years, but never use. Don't know if it's a result of realizing what our real priorities are, or being cooped up inside homes and rooms full of STUFF! I'm not one to buy a lot of the newest supplies or designs anyway, but I've had the time to go through my stash and find things I didn't even remember owning. It's been very satisfying to finish up a few old projects, and dig away at my old patterned papers, stamps, and embellishments.

I also wonder if stamping is getting to the stage that scrapbooking did 10 years ago when everyone already had everything they could dream of, and found themselves weighed down with too many possibilities. That led to an inertia that caused many of my friends to leave scrapbooking for years. I'm one of those, but I'm determined to finish up those old layouts and just do it. No more overthinking, or trying to out-do myself.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, I miss the LIKE button so much. So much here that rings true to me.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2021, 05:55 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

@kazeka I agree with you about the Like button! I especially agree with the design team, YouTube, family priorities, and health comments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2021, 02:24 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I have watched a few of Jennifer McGuires recent video's and noticed her talking about looking at your stuff and using what you have. She has even used retired items and said so. I recently used the really old stamp set Snowflakes from SU on a gelli plate background.

Last edited by justampin; 01-26-2021 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: wrong stamp set
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2021, 07:40 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

I'll confess to some burnout.

On the other hand, as this year has been difficult financially for so many people, we get a great response to tutorials that use supplies people already have in a new way. It's a really great time to give old techniques a new twist and pull out older stamps instead of pushing new ones. This week's tutorial is one of those, actually, and I used a vintage stamp too!

Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #22  

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

"Don't know if it's a result of realizing what our real priorities are, or being cooped up inside homes and rooms full of STUFF!"

I think it's a little bit of both.
On top of all the Covid stuff we also had to evacuate our home due to wildfires, for almost a month. My daughter got married shortly after that, and I was lecturing my other daughter about keeping her belongings in order and in her space when I stopped mid rant and realized that me and my hubby weren't doing such a great job ourselves. Between that epiphany and just being sick and tired of looking for things I need for way to long, we started purging all of our spaces. My bedroom looks like a bedroom again, my studio has 4 fewer boxes (and counting) of stuff I don't need (and as a bonus, I've found some supplies I forgot I had and I have been using them), our yard looks more like a yard than a junkyard, and the hubby's garage is turning into a nice work/hangout space.
We still have a ways to go but it's been so nice looking around and seeing less clutter that it's keeping us motivated to keep on decluttering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 12:37 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I'll confess to some burnout.

On the other hand, as this year has been difficult financially for so many people, we get a great response to tutorials that use supplies people already have in a new way. It's a really great time to give old techniques a new twist and pull out older stamps instead of pushing new ones. This week's tutorial is one of those, actually, and I used a vintage stamp too!
I'm all for continuing to revisit older techniques and products. When you think about it, even all the new products are based on things we're familiar with or already use. I find myself not even tempted by many of the new stamp sets that have been coming out, because they look all the same.
I understand that companies need to offer what is trendy, or get left behind. However, some of these trends have been going on for two years and they keep coming out with more of the same designs. I'm not even tempted to enter a giveaway for many of the cutesy stamps, because I already own five similar sets.
Instead, I'm looking through my stash at really old stamps (mostly unmounted ones that I bought in grab bags years ago) and trying to figure out fun ways to use them. Also pulling out my old embossing powders and using them again.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 02:16 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

If you're looking for a little inspiration or a kickstart to your mojo, come join the Teapot Tuesday Challenge here on SCS. We offer a different challenge and destination each week. It's a fun, thoughtful group that has brought joy and warm fuzzies to hundreds of people over the years. We'd love to have you join us for our teaparties! 😊

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 02:55 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah. I’m there with you all. Partly, because my space for papercrafts is in my personal office, which is now an annex of my state library, where I work part time. I have so much equipment and schtuff from work crammed here and there in my little office, that it’s hard to navigate my craft and sewing space, and I’m not very motivated to spend more time down there after 16 hours twice a week for work. Sigh.
I have worked some on stamp carving, which is really fun, and needs to be done upstairs in better light. So that mess is strewn about. My knitting (my main artistic release) is also a bit off the rails, as I am stuck on planning a project, and not real motivated to pick another that has been stalled for quite a while.
i think today, loosly organized around laundry, will be a good one for dealing with some messes and making spaces workable again.
Best wishes for success to all of us. Maybe periodically we can revisit this topic, and share our successes, whatever they are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 04:27 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Most of the YouTube channels I follow are more mixed media and junk journaling. There are some that post daily. Some that post at least once per week and then some that post when they have time. I don't think that many people realize how much time it takes to keep up a channel like that. I've considered starting one, but I know that if I did I would not enjoy crafting as much. I have noticed that most of the card maker channels I follow or followed only post videos about new products. It is always to advertise new products. I prefer to stay away from those type of channels unless they are advertising their own products that help keep their channel going. One person I follow actually did a video a while ago about why she quit all of her design team commitments. It was just too overwhelming for her. She still posts videos regularly, but she is now free to create what she wants with whatever supplies she wants. That is my preference as well.

I actually took time off of paper crafting back in 2005 for a few years. I bought a house and that took most of my free time to unpack and the upkeep. I just had no mojo or energy to craft. But eventually I was ready again to create. It took some time to get back to where I was. But now if I don't do some type of crafting throughout the week, I get antsy. I discovered junk journaling about two years ago and found that to be a better fit for me and my huge stash of craft supplies. I do buy new stuff from time to time. But my goal is to use more of what I already have.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 04:37 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I too miss the like button. Thank you all for such descriptive answers. I totally understand the feeling of being used, the burnout of using new products, the clutter of unused stuff, etc.
While this trend of using what you have is great for the creators, what is it doing to the industry? Are sales maintained to keep their businesses?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 05:03 AM   #28  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Karen
I miss it too! It's in the next release
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 05:54 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

Quote:

Karen
me too! I miss letting someone know how much I like and identify with their thoughts or ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 08:09 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm SO GLAD Lydia has told us that the "Like" button is coming back! LOL

When I feel the burn out coming or upon me, I try to focus on WHY I do this craft!
AND sometimes, just shifting to another craft for awhile, like sewing, knitting, etc., I then come up with tags or cards to go with what I just made to give away to those I love, & my love of paper crafting reappears!
THAT is the reason I do this craft, FOR THOSE I LOVE!!!! And that keeps the burn out away! <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 08:36 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Liking all the comments! Thanks for the update, @UnderstandBlue /Lydia!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Right there with you, Ren T

[QUOTE=RenT;22045878] Where I am leading with all this is that now I've immersed myself in my stuff for the better part of a year, then got rid of a lot of the things I was so excited to get my hands on at the time I bought them, I feel like I am at last seeing clearly about Exactly How Much Stuff I Need To Be Happy.

I feel the same way you do. I decided very early on that I would use my down time to purge and donate, catch up on starts, and enjoy never-out-of-the-package supplies and stamps. Starting 2021 off on a high note, including getting scheduled for the covid vaccine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 09:28 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Does anyone else have boxes and boxes of embellishments that are still in their packaging? Apparently I used to buy a lot, and got them as gifts and in giveaways. However, I almost always make my own embellishments with dies and stamps , so there they sat. I am determined to grab a few here and there and put them on cards this year.
My year won't be a crafting burn-out so much as a crafting re-set.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it my imagination or are stamp companies coming out monthly and even weekly with NEW PRODUCTS? I used to love three companies in particular but they now come out with so much and it is not looking NEW to me. I have stopped following many blogs and companies. There is just TOO MUCH. During the past winter I shopped my depression. I have lots of new things to play with and have not even taken them out of the package or stored them yet. They sit in a basket. I need to stop buying, start playing and start enjoying what I got. I am also trying to clean out the embellishments that, that yes, are still in their packages. I am finding my style is clean and simple and I don't need all the things I thought I needed. Once I finish cleaning my crap, I men craft room, I want to play and enjoy it! I have spent two days at it and have not made a dent but will persevere! I am determined to finish and finally play with pleasure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 12:55 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrahx2View Post
Is it my imagination or are stamp companies coming out monthly and even weekly with NEW PRODUCTS? I used to love three companies in particular but they now come out with so much and it is not looking NEW to me. I have stopped following many blogs and companies. There is just TOO MUCH. During the past winter I shopped my depression. I have lots of new things to play with and have not even taken them out of the package or stored them yet. They sit in a basket. I need to stop buying, start playing and start enjoying what I got. I am also trying to clean out the embellishments that, that yes, are still in their packages. I am finding my style is clean and simple and I don't need all the things I thought I needed. Once I finish cleaning my crap, I men craft room, I want to play and enjoy it! I have spent two days at it and have not made a dent but will persevere! I am determined to finish and finally play with pleasure.
Nope, not your imagination. It seems like a lot of companies are doing monthly releases, and sometimes even every couple of weeks. That wouldn't be so bad if the products didn't all look the same though. Same type of images, same slimline dies and supplies. I'm all for making a slimline card or two but don't want to spend a fortune on supplies that are specific to one style of card. I used to make my own card blanks to fit odd shaped envelopes, and business envelopes. Instant slimline cards, back before there was such a term.
Good for you in deciding to stop buying and start playing. There's nothing like going through the deep recesses of your stash to make you lose the impulse to buy. When your craft room looks more like a landfill than an creative space, it's time to do something about it! Unfortunately, my craft room is still in the landfill stage...sigh.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Mixing it up

I too have experienced some burnout especially when it comes to cardmaking. I've made little over a dozen this month, but I've hit a wall so I'll give it a break for a while.
I was fortunate to adopt my friend's Maltipoo pup (she turned 7 months today) over the Christmas holiday since the arrangement was not working out between. She's a little busy body and is giving me a good workout but it's all good.
Lately my focus has been on sewing, making her jackets and harness dresses. Yes, I'm one of those dog owners that dress their pup.
In addition, I want to play with my many mediums and gel plates to make a fresh batch of backgrounds for future cards, and work on an art journal. Eventually I'll get back to cardmaking but I'm not inspired to do so now.

Here's a pic of her in one of her harnesses.
Attached Thumbnails
Is this the year of crafting burn out?-dressed-up_moment-2-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
I too have experienced some burnout especially when it comes to cardmaking. I've made little over a dozen this month, but I've hit a wall so I'll give it a break for a while.
I was fortunate to adopt my friend's Maltipoo pup (she turned 7 months today) over the Christmas holiday since the arrangement was not working out between. She's a little busy body and is giving me a good workout but it's all good.
Lately my focus has been on sewing, making her jackets and harness dresses. Yes, I'm one of those dog owners that dress their pup.
In addition, I want to play with my many mediums and gel plates to make a fresh batch of backgrounds for future cards, and work on an art journal. Eventually I'll get back to cardmaking but I'm not inspired to do so now.

Here's a pic of her in one of her harnesses.
Oh my, what a cutie! I also have a malti-poo, a male named Toby. We inherited him from our daughter, after they had their first child. He was our "foster grandchild" for years, but now he's just ours, ha! He's 15 1/2, so an old man, but I made him tee-shirts and a pj top this winter because he doesn't handle the cold weather anymore. Aren't they loads of fun!!?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 02:49 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Oh my, what a cutie! I also have a malti-poo, a male named Toby. We inherited him from our daughter, after they had their first child. He was our "foster grandchild" for years, but now he's just ours, ha! He's 15 1/2, so an old man, but I made him tee-shirts and a pj top this winter because he doesn't handle the cold weather anymore. Aren't they loads of fun!!?
Karen
Yes she's a joy and came into my life at the right time. I consider her another blessing in the storm.
I hope she lives to be as old as your Toby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 03:23 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
Yes she's a joy and came into my life at the right time. I consider her another blessing in the storm.
I hope she lives to be as old as your Toby.
Yes, Toby is fairly long lived but he's got kidney failure and a few other health issues so we will be happy if he makes it to 16. He's doing much better than we expected, and still jumps up on the couch etc. Hope your little pup does just as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Tried to upload a photo of Toby in his tee but the resolution was off and it was all blurry. No idea why, as I've uploaded other photos with no problem.
You know, a friend of mine subscribes to cardmaking and stamping magazines from the UK (she lives in the US though) and passes them on to me when she's read them. I'm seeing a lot of techniques and supplies that were popular years back, that seem to be trending again. Seeing them in print often spurs me to give it a try, when seeing it on a website doesn't. Don't know why but maybe it's because I can flip through the magazine pages late at night in bed. My mind seems to be more open to creating after midnight.
It could also be that mfg websites and videos are geared toward selling, rather than just creating ...and that isn't as appealing to me.
Karen

Last edited by kazeka; 01-27-2021 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes