Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-11-2014, 06:35 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worse Craft Experience Ever!

So my cousin asked me to make invitations for her son's 4th birthday. It was last minute and I had about two days to do it. The planning took about an hour and it was simple enough.

Ugh print and cut with my silhouette would not work (and it ALWAYS works).
My printer ran out of ink and the replacements I had were wrong.
I ran out of paper for the job even though I had extra because of the issue with print and cut.
AND THEN I ran out of adhesive!

My craft room is a disaster area. This is the easiest invites to make and they were so much trouble. I feel like I gave her a sub par product. I'm so ashWorse Craft Experience Ever!-20141209_233436.jpg

Worse Craft Experience Ever!-20141209_233457.jpg

Worse Craft Experience Ever!-20141209_233622.jpgamed.

Here are some pics so you can see. I hope they stay together!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My worst was my first. I went to a cardmaking 101 class held at a well known craft store. The ad said 'beginners', I had never made a card before.
Everyone knew what they were doing and I felt so uncomfortable. Every time I asked a question the instructor rolled her eyes!

Needless to say this did not deter me in my card making, but I never went back to any of her classes and it took me a long time to go back to the store!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

You know, I think they're cute.

I hate it when it seems the universe is conspiring against me. I've threatened on various occasions to pitch my Cameo and/or my computer out the window.

I can sympathize.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by elayneView Post
My worst was my first. I went to a cardmaking 101 class held at a well known craft store. The ad said 'beginners', I had never made a card before.
Everyone knew what they were doing and I felt so uncomfortable. Every time I asked a question the instructor rolled her eyes!

Needless to say this did not deter me in my card making, but I never went back to any of her classes and it took me a long time to go back to the store!
How awful of her!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2014, 07:19 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Really cute invites!! It really sucks running into issues in the middle of a project. And i really hate when something that usually works all of a sudden stops like a printer =P Ours wont print on colored printer paper anymore. We used to use blue all the time and then it stopped. It's a racist printer. =P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 01:50 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

they are adorable!!! but I feel your pain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 03:22 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
they are adorable!!! but I feel your pain.
ditto....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 04:10 AM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Don't be so hard on yourself. I think they look great and the kids will love them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 04:19 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Nearest to a disaster I ever had was not putting the lid on my tray of embossing powder before turning on the heat gun, There was powder everywhere including inside open drawers and boxes! Everything felt gritty for weeks.

Funniest thing I have done was to stick a front panel onto the back of a finished card that was lying face down on my desk. Couldn't understand why the card felt so heavy until I turned t over!

I never have drinks or food near my computer or craft area because I am extremely clumsy and a disaster would be inevitable.

Lesley
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 04:28 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Darling invites, but I certainly sympathize on your "Murphy's Law" experience getting them made. I sew for a living, and my worst experiences are ALWAYS when there's a tight deadline! Things that I could do in my sleep are all of a sudden NOT working - the tension on the bobbin won't stay set, needles break, they short me on materials - SOMEthing always goes awry! Still, kudos to you for pulling it off - they really are cute! I especially love the belly band closure...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 04:56 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

They are so adorable! I think it's the "last minute pressure" that makes everything go wrong! But in the end everything went right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 05:23 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leona2025View Post
So my cousin asked me to make invitations for her son's 4th birthday. It was last minute and I had about two days to do it.
My kind advice would be, never accept a last minute commission again. One to two days notice, that's crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 06:55 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I think they are awesome!

My worst was when a sister of a friend of mine had me do 40 wedding showers invitations. She gave me all of the information in writing. I did all of the invitations and when I delivered them she said "oh the date is wrong." Thankfully I had the paper in her own hand writing with me, because it also had the price on it. She then told me that since I got the date wrong, she shouldn't have to pay for the wrong ones. Oh and I was just charging $1.00 a card and even threw in 4 cards free.

What made me so mad, was that I did one card and got her approval on it, before I ever did the other ones. I just left the cards on her table and told her those were on me. She gave me the correct information and I gave it back to her and told her to go bug someone else!

That was my first and last attempted to do anything for anyone other than myself and my immediate family.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Those look great!

I had an awful experience recently too. I made card backgrounds for my son's preschool Halloween pictures. They needed 100 of them. I had 70 totally complete and the rest mostly done when I got the pictures.

My card was landscape oriented, the pictures portrait. Since the pictures would not look good if the were reprinted in landscape, I had to start over again from the beginning.

"Yet dawn is ever the hope of men." Aragorn in The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 09:14 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddy'smamaView Post
I think they are awesome!

My worst was when a sister of a friend of mine had me do 40 wedding showers invitations. She gave me all of the information in writing. I did all of the invitations and when I delivered them she said "oh the date is wrong." Thankfully I had the paper in her own hand writing with me, because it also had the price on it. She then told me that since I got the date wrong, she shouldn't have to pay for the wrong ones. Oh and I was just charging $1.00 a card and even threw in 4 cards free.

What made me so mad, was that I did one card and got her approval on it, before I ever did the other ones. I just left the cards on her table and told her those were on me. She gave me the correct information and I gave it back to her and told her to go bug someone else!

That was my first and last attempted to do anything for anyone other than myself and my immediate family.
Get the money upfront! I don't do anything for anyone because I don't want to get started and end up being bombarded. I did my son's wedding invitations and thank you cards, and I helped two nieces, but those were done free of charge and full of love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnDoingsView Post
Those look great!

I had an awful experience recently too. I made card backgrounds for my son's preschool Halloween pictures. They needed 100 of them. I had 70 totally complete and the rest mostly done when I got the pictures.

My card was landscape oriented, the pictures portrait. Since the pictures would not look good if the were reprinted in landscape, I had to start over again from the beginning.
ooooohhhh that had to be so disappointing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 09:21 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bet these are the coolest invitations those kids ever got!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 01:50 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Sounds like you had many challenges to get your cards finished but I think it was well worth it. I really like your cards I think they're adorable!
QFTD165
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2014, 02:03 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for the shares! I recently made a coworker a anni. card for his parents. He offered 20$, but I told him just 15$ to cover the supplies I needed. He pick out a new digi image and everything. I made the card he loved it and NEVER paid me. That really soured me on selling stuff. I already didn't want to do it.

Selling is just too stressful for me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

I love volunteering for things like that. Even though I may start off with,... I have plenty of time for any errors, accidents or anything odd that will usually happen. I will have plenty of stock, and I am all ready and excited to go...... Then Bam.... it's like a beautiful symphony with the "Comedy of Errors". You name it... it goes wrong. BUT,.... I manage to complete this project. Nearly down to the wire. Now, I hand the project over and it's gorgeous and looks great and I'm proud.... But, at that moment,.....I feel like I have done the Ironman decathlon... lol It's a big Whew and shower time!!

With that being said,....

You have apparently experienced, what I like to call as being the star of your own craft comedy show. I would never be able to tell. I thought those invitations were WONDERFUL. At different ages of their lives, any of my 3 grandsons would have gone nuts for those invitations going out for their party. I think you did a great job. If you had issues it did not show its self in the outcome!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

elayne,

I had the same experience but was determined to learn this. I kept going back until I realized I wasn't learning anything. Newbies were not helped at all. I had NO clue what a water brush was nor did I know the supplies, much less a Cuttlebug. Thanks to SCS, I learned!

Quote:

Originally Posted by elayneView Post

Reply With Quote Likes