Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-21-2011, 08:09 AM   #81  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindykidView Post
OK, here it is - a swap especially for newbies and swap virgins! This is a chance to get to know fellow artisans in other parts of the world and share creative and inspirational works of art.

Come on...you know you want to...

SWAPPED AND HEADED HOME - NEWBIES and VIRGIN swappers only by Mindykid at Splitcoaststampers
I am a newbie and do feel like sometimes my cards are not up to par for the swaps (I do follow the guidelines of 2 layers/embellishments... etc) but I am not good new techniques or using lots of layers (more than required) as I am still very new @ stamping and card making, yet I still join card swaps. I always asked the hostess if my cards are okay and if they need me to re-do, I have no problem w/ it, as that's how you learn, right??

Thx MindyKid for the swap, I am heading there... nOW!;)
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #82  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Quote:

OK, here it is - a swap especially for newbies and swap virgins! This is a chance to get to know fellow artisans in other parts of the world and share creative and inspirational works of art.

Come on...you know you want to...

SWAPPED AND HEADED HOME - NEWBIES and VIRGIN swappers only by Mindykid at Splitcoaststampers
I too am also fairly new at cardmaking. I've been at it for about
3 years. I understand about quality of product, ect. Its nothing for
me to start over on a card and do it until I get it right. Been known
to start over 4 or 5 times. LOL! However, I don't see the benefit to
having a newbie/virgin card swap. If I am only swapping with people
of my own skill level, what would I expect to bring to them with my
cards that they don't already know? For me, its not about getting
cards to case or whatever. It's about the learning and improvement
process. Did that make sense? I like to see designs, color combos,
technique: things like that. That doesn't mean that I couldn't
learn anything from another beginner, just that it would be nice
to have a wide variety of skill levels involved, veterans and novices
alike.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #83  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JubleView Post
I too am also fairly new at cardmaking. I've been at it for about
3 years. I understand about quality of product, ect. Its nothing for
me to start over on a card and do it until I get it right. Been known
to start over 4 or 5 times. LOL! However, I don't see the benefit to
having a newbie/virgin card swap. If I am only swapping with people
of my own skill level, what would I expect to bring to them with my
cards that they don't already know?
For me, its not about getting
cards to case or whatever. It's about the learning and improvement
process. Did that make sense? I like to see designs, color combos,
technique: things like that. That doesn't mean that I couldn't
learn anything from another beginner, just that it would be nice
to have a wide variety of skill levels involved, veterans and novices
alike.
First, the swap is for new stampers or new swappers. New swappers may be far more experienced than you, but just new to swapping.

Second, just because someone is about the same experience level as you doesn't mean you will have the exact same skill set. I think it's a big assumption to say you can only learn new things from more experienced stampers.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #84  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mindy!! Way to go! You took all the opinions from this thread and did something new and constructive with them. I learned something from you today, not about stamping but about having a positive attitude. Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:21 AM   #85  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I have participated in many swaps and hosted a few. I think having levels of swapping according to how good you are is just plain stupid. It would make many people feel like their work is inadequate. You probably would have less people participating.
Okay, I said my piece. Feel free to jump all over me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #86  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks! I really did get inspired by the folks who were sharing their personal opinions on the topic and I can really empathize with a lot of those opinions.

I remember being so intimidated by my upline when I started as an SU demo. But over time, I tried new techniques, some good, some not so good. I also learned a ton when I started swapping so I hate hearing that folks shy away from it for various reasons.

So far we have some folks signing up already. I know they will be glad they did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #87  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CuteCatsView Post
I have participated in many swaps and hosted a few. I think having levels of swapping according to how good you are is just plain stupid. It would make many people feel like their work is inadequate. You probably would have less people participating.
Okay, I said my piece. Feel free to jump all over me.
I don't understand why ppl are not open-minded. I think MindyK is trying to *ENCOURAGE* new stampers/card makers to join swaps and not worry about their skills or experiences. I am a new stamper/card maker and I know I am not up to par compare to most of the posters here but What I am is open-minded. I welcome any sugg/ideas/feedback from fellow posters and crafters about my cards and not take anything personally. Like one of the poster said, ART is very subjective, I may be very proud of my work because I learned a new technique and used it on a card but to some swappers, it's a basic skills of theirs. It may be a stupid idea to you but not to others, just don't join the swaps, there is not need to criticize ppl's good intention.
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #88  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
First, the swap is for new stampers or new swappers. New swappers may be far more experienced than you, but just new to swapping.

Second, just because someone is about the same experience level as you doesn't mean you will have the exact same skill set. I think it's a big assumption to say you can only learn new things from more experienced stampers.
I'm sorry I offended you. If you read the last couple of sentences
in my post you will see that I wasn't making an assumption that
I could only learn from experienced stampers. Just that it's nice
to have a variety of skill levels. Again....sorrry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:55 AM   #89  
Pearl-ExPert

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Sloppy, however, is a whole different story! Leaving dirty fingerprints and crooked edges (unless it's a part of the design) is plain rude, imho.

"Fearless is not the absence of fear. Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you." (Taylor Swift)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #90  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

What an interesting thread this has turned out to be - such varied opinions and ideas!

Makes me want to hostess a "newbies only" swap. Actually, I think I will!

Good for you, Mindykid, you are an inspiration! You are inspiring me to try out my idea. Instead of just talking/complaining about my issue, I should try and DO something. I think I will try and host a "Perfectionists" Swap, which has been suggested here. Maybe it's be a success, maybe it'll be a failure, but I'll never know unless I try, right?

Lisa

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #91  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, Roxane, calling someone else's idea "stupid" was pretty unkind. What does "RAK" mean in your siggie? LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #92  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by JubleView Post
I'm sorry I offended you. If you read the last couple of sentences
in my post you will see that I wasn't making an assumption that
I could only learn from experienced stampers. Just that it's nice
to have a variety of skill levels. Again....sorrry.
No offense at all. I was just trying to point out that it's not fair to assume that you can't learn something from someone equal, or even below, your own level.

Many people have confessed their fear of swapping because their fear of being judged and found lacking. I think that's the point of the newbie swap that was just set up - to help people try a swap in a designated non-critical environment.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 AM   #93  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsp245View Post
I don't understand why ppl are not open-minded. I think MindyK is trying to *ENCOURAGE* new stampers/card makers to join swaps and not worry about their skills or experiences. I am a new stamper/card maker and I know I am not up to par compare to most of the posters here but What I am is open-minded. I welcome any sugg/ideas/feedback from fellow posters and crafters about my cards and not take anything personally. Like one of the poster said, ART is very subjective, I may be very proud of my work because I learned a new technique and used it on a card but to some swappers, it's a basic skills of theirs. It may be a stupid idea to you but not to others, just don't join the swaps, there is not need to criticize ppl's good intention.
It didn't sound like good intentions.

To Stampana - I had a headache this morning. Sorry I came on so strong. I think Mindy's idea of a new swap for beginners is a good idea. But with that said, I still feel that if you set levels of swapping abilities, you will make people feel that their work is inadequate/unworthy.

Last edited by 2CuteCats; 02-21-2011 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #94  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberTruckerView Post
To Stamphappy: Personally, I've been stamping on and off for somewhere around 30 years. I don't like markers and have no desire to learn to use Copic$. I have no desire to learn to use (nor to own) a die-cutting machine. I use very few embellishments. Does that make me less a stamper than you?
I don't think you read her whole post... It ISN'T about copics, it ISN'T about die cutting machines, it's about the quality of work.

As a musician and a high school music teacher I have to give all of my students a mark.. Some of them are naturally gifted, most are middle of the road, and there are some that are really bad musicians. This has no bearing on their EFFORT or their work-ethic, it's based on their skill. As a teacher I have to assess two things: their effort (G,S,N) and their output (playing tests, singing tests, theory etc) and if the quality is not satisfactory REGARDLESS of effort, they don't get a good grade.

That's the way life is. You don't get ahead at your job for a good effort, you get ahead by churning out good quality product/results.

It's the same with card-making. People aren't putting down people's EFFORT (although sometimes swappers don't put a lot of effort into their creations) it is about the quality of workmanship.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

I apologize for being rude. I am sorry. I will not post on this thread again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #96  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I hate to see this thread get so heated. I have really enjoyed reading most of the responses and seeing everyone take on it. I think that maybe different words should have been used. I think instead of beginner maybe something like simple or CAS (or maybe something like easy...you know only a couple of layers...no or one embellishment...that kind of thing) should have been used and then instead of advanced maybe something like a "wow" swap or over the top swap. Personally, when I join a swap, I'm expecting to get back wow or over the top cards...mainly because that's what I've joined AND that's what I intend to send out. I like to go above and beyond the requirements (not offended if someone does JUST the requirements but PO'd when they DON'T meet the requirements) and I want someone to go, "wow, I'm really glad I got HER card back in this swap", kwim? I want the person who got it to feel good! That being said, sometimes a CAS card can be wow and I'm NOT good at doing them so I actually like getting them because it gives me inspiration as long as they have done everything they need to as far as layers and quality and embellishments.

I really don't think anyone was being snobby or trying to be mean in this post at all. I think they were trying to work through some thoughts they were having about swapping. I've had them...I don't participate in many swaps now and the ones I do, I can usually expect quality cards. That's what it's about, not so much the design or the colors (those can all be jumping off points for inspiration even if I'm not a fan of the ones I get back in that regard), but the quality of the card. A true novice can turn in a card that is free of smearing and smudging, no exposed adhesive and well adhered and cut layers. I think that is where a lot of the frustration comes in....I expect everyone to spend the time it takes to make them nice and not make it seem like the deadline was approaching so they just threw something together.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 PM   #97  
Insane Embellisher

To Minders:

Your idea of the name "over the top" swap was really great. Do you mind if I use it?

By the way, I looked at your gallery - very pretty cards!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:03 PM   #98  
Pearl-ExPert

Minders is very humble - her gallery is GREAT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #99  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm chuckling here about the thought that beginners should try a CAS swap.

Because I think the most incredibly impossible cards in the words are CAS - I visit Lateblossoms blog every day, and while I would easily be able to copy her cards, I could never in a hundred years come up with designs like hers! And I don't want to just copy . . .

Mindykid, I'm popping over to your swapping thread. I've never joined one before because, frankly, they terrify me. But yours for virgins and newbies sounds like a lot of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #100  

Thank you both for the nice words! And I can't take credit for the "over the top swap", I've seen them out there before:-)

Trust me, I make plenty of ugly cards...I just don't photograph and post them:-) I'm sure someone somewhere thinks even the ugly ones are pretty but I only care what I think:-) SO many of them never make it to SCS...and it's one of the reasons I like to CASE...I KNOW it's going to turn out well, haha. I hate having a "good" idea and spending lots of time on it only to HATE it when done, lol! I've thought about pre-designing cards in MDS so that I'm not wasting materials if I don't like it!

To all those who are intimidated to swap or have reservations, it IS fun and it IS a good push in the rear creativity wise and it's fun to get the cards back (the "bad" swappers are few and far between really) and see what and who's you got. And you can find a great group and then just kind of stick with that if it makes you happy too! Wish I could stamp tonight with the big box of goodies that was at the door when I came home from work but sadly I have to go back to work...out of town even...until probably 11 tonight, BOO!!!! Don't they know I NEED to stamp, lol!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #101  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
I'm chuckling here about the thought that beginners should try a CAS swap.

Because I think the most incredibly impossible cards in the words are CAS - I visit Lateblossoms blog every day, and while I would easily be able to copy her cards, I could never in a hundred years come up with designs like hers! And I don't want to just copy . . .

Mindykid, I'm popping over to your swapping thread. I've never joined one before because, frankly, they terrify me. But yours for virgins and newbies sounds like a lot of fun!
I know...I don't think I really meant CAS, I think I meant more of basic or simple...CAS is so hard for me too:-) I think I meant more of just a layer or two and maybe no to one embellishment...something like that. That make more sense? I just can't find the word/words I want I guess...

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #102  
Stazon Splitcoast

I said I wouldn't post again on this thread, but I feel bad about the way I left things. I apologize once again for my bad behavior. Just because I was having a bad day doesn't mean that I should take it out on you innocent bystanders even if I did not agree with the posts. I really am not a nasty person IRL (although you probably don't believe that) and have made lots of friends here on SCS. In all the years that I have posted on SCS, that is the first and hopefully last time I will do something so rotten.

Please accept my apology once again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #103  

Quote:

I said I wouldn't post again on this thread, but I feel bad about the way I left things. I apologize once again for my bad behavior. Just because I was having a bad day doesn't mean that I should take it out on you innocent bystanders even if I did not agree with the posts. I really am not a nasty person IRL (although you probably don't believe that) and have made lots of friends here on SCS. In all the years that I have posted on SCS, that is the first and hopefully last time I will do something so rotten.

Please accept my apology once again!
Everyone has bad days...says stuff they don't mean and I get bad headaches too so I feel for you! Hope it's better...I had one for about 4 days last week, yuck!

It is VERY big of you apologize on a public forum....most people just go "hide" :-) And we don't all have to agree except to disagree, lol! Hope you are having a better day and a great one tomorrow! Now go stamp since I can't...have to work all night blah!!!!!!!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM   #104  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Everyone has bad days...says stuff they don't mean and I get bad headaches too so I feel for you! Hope it's better...I had one for about 4 days last week, yuck!

It is VERY big of you apologize on a public forum....most people just go "hide" :-) And we don't all have to agree except to disagree, lol! Hope you are having a better day and a great one tomorrow! Now go stamp since I can't...have to work all night blah!!!!!!!
Thank you! You make me feel much better! I was nasty on a public forum, so I had better apologize there too! LOL
Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #105  

Quote:

Thank you! You make me feel much better! I was nasty on a public forum, so I had better apologize there too! LOL
Thanks again!
Better than yelling at your hubby or mom...which is what I tend to do, lol! Glad you're feeling better:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:09 PM   #106  
Insane Embellisher

IF (big if) there were going to be levels designated for swaps, who would "grade" us to determine our level? I agree that sloppy work is not tolerable, but in my opinion the rest (color combo, layout, etc.) is pretty much subjective. I've particpated in a half a dozen or so swaps on SCS, and while some cards/projects I received were not my favorites, they were all excellent quality. Personally, I swap as much for the joy of making cards as receiving cards from others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:17 PM   #107  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I think instead of beginner maybe something like simple or CAS (or maybe something like easy...you know only a couple of layers...no or one embellishment...that kind of thing) should have been used and then instead of advanced maybe something like a "wow" swap or over the top swap.
CAS is not the same as beginner. Beginners actually do quite the opposite: try to do lots of layers or add too many/awkward embellishments. CAS takes a keen designer eye and really good taste. Not that beginners COULDN'T do CAS, but it's not something that's "easy" for a lot of people..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #108  
Rubber Obsessor

Memphis1956 what you said just made me smile I agree with you, I've been stamping for along time and my trademark is being crooked lol. I think swaps are about fun and seeing other peoples creating style. But thats JUST me

Last edited by JulieB2250; 02-21-2011 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #109  
Pearl-ExPert

For me, CAS cards are harder because they require a lot more creativity and technique with the background stamping, coloring, etc. I find it easier to layer and add embellishments. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #110  
Insane Embellisher

Just in case anyone is interested, I posted my Over The Top Swap.

OVER THE TOP SWAP, open, 5+1, due 5/6 by quirky62 at Splitcoaststampers

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #111  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I think the term that bothers me in the OP is "below my standards." I think that would be the problem with having designated ability levels. What I consider acceptable might be very different from what another swapper considered acceptable. Swaps are supposed to be fun, and a way to get different ideas and different perspectives on how to use materials, colors, designs, etc. They shouldn't be stressful competitions that instill dread and fear of inadequacy. Most of us have enough of that in our everyday lives anyway, so who needs that in our hobby? (Remember, ladies, that hobbies are supposed to be FUN.)

If there are guidelines, then they should be followed. I think the hostess should absolutely not distribute cards that blatantly disregard the guidelines. If you don't want to or can't follow the guidelines, then don't join the swap. There is a difference between not following the guidelines and not being "good enough." Granted, that would mean getting some of your own cards back, but that's an inherent risk of swapping. If you're looking for perfection or professional quality cards, then you should definitely join a "by invitation only" or "for professional quality cards only" swap. Otherwise, relax and have fun. ENJOY yourself, and don't worry if you colored a little outside the lines or you didn't use a level to align your layers.

Finally, I think that instead of getting offended by others who aren't up to our standards, we should be encouraging each other to have the confidence and courage to try new things and expand our horizons. It saddens me to read the posts from beginners who are afraid to join swaps because of what others might think of their cards. I would encourage them to join the swap for beginners that has been posted. Don't be afraid to get your feet wet. We were all where you are right now, whether we care to admit it or not. HAVE FUN!!

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 02-21-2011 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #112  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
CAS is not the same as beginner. Beginners actually do quite the opposite: try to do lots of layers or add too many/awkward embellishments. CAS takes a keen designer eye and really good taste. Not that beginners COULDN'T do CAS, but it's not something that's "easy" for a lot of people..
I know I know! I just couldn't find the "right" word...I addressed it in an earlier post. Mainly just meant a swap with few requirements...not sure of a good word for it still. That make sense? I have a hard time with CAS cards too!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 08:48 PM   #113  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Deleted

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #114  
Polyshrink Goddess

Now I'm freaked out about what "quality" supplies means. I have never even seen anything by SU, much less own anything by them and am not even sure if anyone sells SU stuff here. I get my supplies from Joann fabrics and rarely Michael's because it's over an hour away. I use smooth bristol for my cardstock. Buying all the designer cs that I read about here is just not doable when shipping is added on. And I use digi stamps a lot or create my own design - incidentally, the cards I have in the galley with the most comments are the ones I have done my very own thing and aren't even stamped.

I don't think I fit in.

Last edited by jovian7; 02-21-2011 at 10:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #115  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

When I attended my first SU Convention in 2003, I was "snubbed" when I tried to swap with a few people. The following years, I gladly swap with "beginners" because (1) I know how hard they are trying , (2) perhaps my card may inspire them and (3)I was a 'beginner" once, too!

I think it would be very hard to designate skill levels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #116  

Quote:

Originally Posted by jovian7View Post
Now I'm freaked out about what "quality" supplies means. I have never even seen anything by SU, much less own anything by them and am not even sure if anyone sells SU stuff here. I get my supplies from Joann fabrics and rarely Michael's because it's over an hour away. I use smooth bristol for my cardstock. Buying all the designer cs that I read about here is just not doable when shipping is added on. And I use digi stamps a lot or create my own design - incidentally, the cards I have in the galley with the most comments are the ones I have done my very own thing and aren't even stamped.

I don't think I fit in.
I wouldn't worry too much! As long as you're using good quality stuff you should be fine! Other places have fine stuff...SU is just put out there because it is high quality so it's something to be compared to. As long as you're not using super flimsy paper for the card base or stamping on copy paper (things like that) you should be good.

I think that a lot of you are over thinking this or worrying too much:-) I think most of the "bad" swappers are NOT beginners but people who just don't CARE....which it sounds like all of you who are worried DO care! It doesn't sound to me like any of you would just slap a card together, which I think is more of the issue here. Again, it's not really about the colors or design or layout as much as it is how the card is put together well. Good quality supplies, adhered well, neat and not sloppy!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #117  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow! I was wondering why there were so many people in the swap group queue this morning. Now I know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 05:17 AM   #118  
Kookie Creator

Default Hi

Hi,

Those of you who belonged to SCS know that this subject comes up every year and every year I tell this story.

When I was new, I came to SCS since I was told that this was a friendly place that welcomed people of all abilities. I left a swapping site that was put on by a craft company. I left because a swap hostess returned a card swap to a long time and a very good swapper since the cards were �not up to the swappers past ability� The swapper went on the form to say good bye to everyone since she was no longer welcomed. She had been so happy to return to stamping after a bad illness and stamping was her therapy. She could no longer work her hands the way she used to and found stamping to be fun, relaxing and good for her. Since she disappointed the swap hostess, did she disappoint others with her disability?

People do swaps for many different reasons. I for one can not place things in a line. I do my best and things are still not as straight as I like. That makes me a beginner.

I hope that all people of all abilities continue to find a home here.

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 AM   #119  
Gabfest Goddess

The idea of designating skill levels for swaps is good in theory but difficult in execution. Like many here have stated, who/how would that be done? When I was a demo, I had a workshop/camp type of event at my house. One ex-demo got offended when I walked everyone there through the projects. She felt that she and another ex-demo should have been let loose and not have to watch since as she put it "the two of us are advanced and already know how to do that". I didn't want to be rude and tell her that while they may think that they are advanced, they were not. I had received cards from them on numerous occassions that were sloppy, poorly executed, flimsy materials, etc. One of the "newbies" in attendance, was new to stamping, but was what I would consider advanced at scrapbooking - she actually did a much better job at the stamping than the two "advanced" ex-demos.

I agree that any swap should have certain standards and blurred, smudged images and thin, cheaply made materials have no place in swaps. But I think setting up catagories like beginner, intermediate, advanced for skill level would be incredibly difficult to uphold because like at my little camp event, one person's "advanced" is another person's "beginner".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #120  
Ted
Kookie Creator

Very well written, Betty. I agree.

Swaps should be an outlet for paper crafters to share their work with others.

Reading some of these replies, I'm reminded of my high school days, particularly during homecoming or the Sadies-Hawkins (probably before many of your times! ;) ) - "Will I be picked?" "Will I be rejected?"

I can perfectly understand guidelines to be listed: "Please use a cardstock of 70 lb or higher for a stronger card", "Please make sure your score line is a crisp, defined fold", "Please refrain from having smudges or dirt on your submission."

But saying, "Please use good cardstock for your base" is like saying, "Please review a good movie." "Good" is subjective. "70 lb. cardstock or heavier" is not subjective.

Let's try to not forget that the people who create these cards are human beings with feelings. They are also people who may have limited funds (so they can't buy the "cream of the crop". Perhaps they have a learning disability so arranging things symmetrically on a card proves to be quite hard. Maybe they had surgery on their hands and no matter how hard they try, the sentiment will always be crooked.

Since I've become a member of the paper crafter community (five or six years ago), I've always felt a sense of pride for how caring and compassionate we are towards each other.

That should carry on to our swaps (in my opinion).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betty_S_KView Post
Hi,

Those of you who belonged to SCS know that this subject comes up every year and every year I tell this story.

When I was new, I came to SCS since I was told that this was a friendly place that welcomed people of all abilities. I left a swapping site that was put on by a craft company. I left because a swap hostess returned a card swap to a long time and a very good swapper since the cards were �not up to the swappers past ability� The swapper went on the form to say good bye to everyone since she was no longer welcomed. She had been so happy to return to stamping after a bad illness and stamping was her therapy. She could no longer work her hands the way she used to and found stamping to be fun, relaxing and good for her. Since she disappointed the swap hostess, did she disappoint others with her disability?

People do swaps for many different reasons. I for one can not place things in a line. I do my best and things are still not as straight as I like. That makes me a beginner.

I hope that all people of all abilities continue to find a home here.

Betty

Inkterior Design - Thanks for checking out my blog!
Reply With Quote Likes