Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why is everything always crooked on my cards?

Well maybe I exaggerate a bit...not everything on every card...but enough to drive me crazy. I really don't think I'm a perfectionist but I like things neat. It really annoys me if things look crooked. I can put up with a random spot of ink and other imperfections, but I have to start over if things are not straight or even. I have wasted a fair amount of supplies because of this. So, I'm looking for hints. Do I need a t square like Jennifer M and others use? Is it my trimmer? I just bought a new fiskars sure cut and hate this thing though I had the same issue with the last trimmer. I even try and measure, and still screw up. I have a friend that eyeballs everything and her stuff looks better than mine. I have the graph paper but it doesn't help. Thanks for any help.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing springs to mind, when you say a cutter. I have been told, and must agree that i find it true, that the physical sides of cutters and trimmers are rarely perfectly square. You get better results by lining up to grid lines, rather than using the edge of the cutter to butt up to.
I have also found that sometimes standing up to measure & cut works better than doing it sitting down.
And please, don't be insulted by this, but is it possible your near sight is not perfect? I bought myself a pair of the easily available reading glasses, and boy did I get a shock at how much better I could see detail!
Final thing, lighting. How is the light source where you work? Are you casting a shadow over your work, that can distort what you are seeing.
Hope maybe this gives you a few pointers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Are you referring to the cardstock not being even, the stamping not being straight, or both? There are a couple of things that might help...

I have never been happy with any of the slide-type paper cutters; I swear by a guillotine for straight. I have an Xacto and love it. As far as mats behind panels and such, Perfect Layers tools are great (some hate them, but I love them).

For straight stamping, hands-down the best option is a MISTI. It may look expensive, but if you've already wasted "a fair amount of supplies", then you may quickly offset the initial cost by not having to toss things. Another option is a Stamp-a-ma-jig. It's fairly easy to use, but I gave mine away after I got my MISTI.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 01:46 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I totally sympathize. That makes me crazed too.

I went through a number of cutters myself because I wasnt getting straight cuts and got the Purple cow guillotine at Costco. Not like the heavy duty ones-I'd love one some day- but I needed to know and yes, it made a difference. I like that idea about using the grid and not the edges on cutters. I just got a new fiskars JM recommended because the guilo isnt great for thin cuts/trimming necessarily and I dont always trust myself with an xacto blade.

You could also get your base card stock cut at Kinkos.

Why would I bother? B/c if your base card is crooked nothing is going to look straight imho. And dont cut one side to match the other if you are already folded. Cut BOTH to a new straight line-but make sure you have a really good fold line going so it doesnt shift again. Trust me. Been there done that.

I also punked out and got the Basic Layers dies by Spellbinders (when on good sale) and just do it that way. There are 2 sets for A2s so you can pick how big a border layer you want but it wont get smaller than 1/8.

For 1/16 border layers I think you have to do Perfect Layers.

What do you mean graph paper is not helping you? To do what? Line up sentiments?

Keep in mind wood block stamps are not necessarily straight. In theory, the stamp should be exactly under the index but that is so NOT true...and your index could be straight and the stamp isnt. (which can be corrected) aka dont assume with wood. Always test stamp it. If it is crooked-you can correct for it with a thingamajig. The thingamajig btw also lets you do cool stuff like....adding angel wings to characters, layer stamping, etc. So it isnt just for single stamping.

I think a T-ruler isnt a bad idea and they are only like 3 bucks.

I agree with standing up. I have been shocked what a difference it can make with perspective.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 03:25 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone, good suggestions. I actually do pretty good with the stamping itself... It's more the paper. So for instance, putting the second layer on top of the card or cutting a mat. I think I do just as good when I try to eyeball in those situations but they are rarely straight. I will try some of your ideas and see if that helps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

It doesnt take much to look crooked. I can see 1/16 and probably 1/32 too. Esp if the layers are light/dark.

I have come to accept slight differences. And uneveness...like it's straight. but the lf border is noticeably wider than the right.

Of course one answer is just stop doing those kinds of layers! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I often find that the paper isn't square and combine that with the trimmer not being square either, ugh.

One other thing I have realized about my own cutting with the trimmer is that I have to be very careful and only move my arm. Sometimes, I move my hand at the end and it makes it just off enough. I also agree with the person who said standing helps.

I have a hard time with getting the layers centered. Everything is always to the right, even though I try to overcompensate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I HAVE to stand up when attaching layers to my cards. What looks straight while sitting will become obviously crooked when I'm all done, stand up, hold the card at arms length and feel that wave of annoyance and dismay wash over me.
I have a pad of grid paper I stamp on. I will check each layer I have cut to make sure it is square. It's attaching them together that messes me up.
The routine I've developed goes like this. I run my double sided tape around all four edges of the layer I want to attach.
Stand up
Make sure card base is straight by lining it up on the grid paper.
I pick up the layer in my right hand, with my thumb on top and fingers wrapping around the edge avoiding the taped edges and rest a finger or two on the back of the layer.
I place the left side of the layer down first, eyeballing the edges at the top, left side and bottom all look even.
Carefully place my left hand down on top of the left edge of the layer so it sticks then slowly ease the layer down bit by bit keeping my eyes on the top and bottom edges. As long as I've avoided sticking any part of my right hand onto the tape I can usually keep from accidentally tugging the layer "crooked" as I finish.

Hope that makes sense. I've tried eyeballing across the top then working my way down but I make more mistakes. Going left to right gives me the best chance of attaching my layers straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I too found that after lining up with the grid lines on my cutter that the hand holding the paper would move a bit as I slid the blade down to cut. I learned to 1) use the locking bar on my cutter 2) pay attention while cutting so I don't move as I cut. practice... practice... practice...

If the layers are cut straight but put down crooked then you might want to try a wet adhesive so you can move/slide the layers to get them even. I know some will shake their head at me but I still often use glue stick, buy a quality brand that is not "kiddie glue" though. There are plenty of people that will read my card, thank me but eventually throw it away so why not use glue stick (btw, I'm ok with that).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Lots of excellent tips and advice. I have also been using grid lines on my Tonic cutter. I love this cutter which is about 8 years old but it really cuts so nicely and I can cut really thin strips ( seldom needed). I feel more secure with that paper guard.

I feel your frustration, but try some of the tips mentioned you may be surprised at what you will discover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wish I could find the clip where I found this great tip. First up, your layers have to be truly squared, but if they're all good to go then this works like a charm ...

This gal made L shaped bumpers out of her regular cardstock, of various layering widths that she commonly used, that she could then tuck into the upper right hand corner of her (Scor-Pal ?). Chosen bumper in place, she would layer by starting with the top most card layer, tape it, glue it, whatever, and turn it upside down tucked into the chosen width bumper and then put the next layer on top, tucking it into the corner of the Scor-Pal. Because those two sides were perfectly lined up, everything else lined up. You wouldn't know it till you flipped it over, because while you're working, you're looking at the back side. She then proceeded with the same process for however many layers she wanted. I hope that makes sense. By the time I saw that trick, I'd had enough practice and knew my own style of how to center, but dang! I'd have loved something like that earlier on!

Last edited by jeaniebean55; 08-11-2016 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: adding detail, hopefully for clarity ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Everyone wrote great stuff - like using grid lines on your trimmer instead of the top.

I do different things depending on the project, complexity and my mood.

If I'm doing a simple placement, occasionally I use a clear t-square that has little stick-on rings on one side so it won't move. I think the t-square was $3.00 at an artists supply store, but it's like this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/Acme-C87355...t-square+12%22

And the stick-on rings that a wonderful person (who?!?) here posted about:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 09:07 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you do a search one of our members, Tweedcurtain (Charmaine), had a thread on here back in March of 2016 on how to make a DIY Cardmaking jig using mats that you use in picture frames. I would link if I knew how to...I admit I'm a dinosaur, but maybe another member here could find it and link it for me. Please.
Personally I use a centering ruler...the kind with a zero in the middle and measurements out to the left and right.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

This one?

DIY Card Layering Jig by tweedcurtain at Splitcoaststampers

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That's it...Thank you Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 10:45 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
After I saw this, I thought, "Oh, how great this is." I dashed out and got the supplies to make it. In my typical fashion, I have not managed to get it put together yet, lol. I still think it's a great idea and have plans to make it...

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
After I saw this, I thought, "Oh, how great this is." I dashed out and got the supplies to make it. In my typical fashion, I have not managed to get it put together yet, lol. I still think it's a great idea and have plans to make it...
Are you me? ; ) I'm always dashing out (or dashing on line) to get something wonderful, then don't follow through or forget what it was for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I did get the supplies but still couldn't grasp the idea? I made my jig, laid down my layer, and then...I think it's because you have to work upside down. LOL! But my mind just went blank.

I just make my layers bigger. You don't notice if they're a little crooked then. Small borders show the booboos more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you all for this thread and so many great ideas. I love the mat frame jig and the Marsupial tools.

LOL, it's nice to know that I can finally get straight borders and stamping using my $150 Carl cutter, $30 Scor-Pal, $60 Misti, $50 ATG gun, and the $45 Marsupial. So with taxes and shipping that means that I'll have straight cards for $400. Oh wait, now I still have to buy stamps, ink, paper, dies, and embellishments.

But seriously, using the jig idea I think I can do this with the Scor Pal. I played with taping (double sided removable tape) the smallest layer to the Scor Pal mat using the grid markings. Then I butted the next largest layer into the corner. It worked pretty well when the layers were perfectly cut but then that's a requirement of the other jig methods too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 01:08 AM   #20  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

subbing

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 03:42 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I'm feeling like I might not get a layer straight, I always use Tombow mono multi liquid glue so I have some wiggle time for adjusting instead of my ATG or scor-tape.

Whoever mentioned Spellbinders Matting Basics A and B - I heartily concur. Those two sets were one of the best investments I've ever made. I can get absolutely perfectly square rectangles with a clean edge every time. I do have to use my Perfect Layers ruler if I want a 1/16th inch border mat for something, but when you start with a perfectly squared off shape, it's easy.

Of course, if you look at my cards, you are going to see a lot of tilted elements because that's how I roll, which relieves me of much of the stress of getting things perfectly level. But those bottom background layers have got to go on the card front straight or I can't stand it! ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 07:24 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

For the same reason that Robin uses the Tombo mono multi, I use the Tombow Stamp Runner Dot Adhesive. While it's permanent, you can reposition it, and you can rub adheive off too. It was the first adhesive runner I tried (Jennifer McGuire video), and the one I stuck with after trying umpteen others. Plus it's so dang comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/Tombow-Runner...r+dot+adhesive

But could someone explain (enable?) the Spellbinders Matting Basics dies? How are they different from other rectangular dies? When I looked at them on line it appears they have a nice little debossed edge to them? I bet it's obvious and I'm making it too complicated. (So what's new, nothing.)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 07:27 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertStamperView Post
Thank you all for this thread and so many great ideas. I love the mat frame jig and the Marsupial tools.

LOL, it's nice to know that I can finally get straight borders and stamping using my $150 Carl cutter, $30 Scor-Pal, $60 Misti, $50 ATG gun, and the $45 Marsupial. So with taxes and shipping that means that I'll have straight cards for $400. Oh wait, now I still have to buy stamps, ink, paper, dies, and embellishments.

But seriously, using the jig idea I think I can do this with the Scor Pal. I played with taping (double sided removable tape) the smallest layer to the Scor Pal mat using the grid markings. Then I butted the next largest layer into the corner. It worked pretty well when the layers were perfectly cut but then that's a requirement of the other jig methods too.
Hahaha! Second paragraph is prize-worthy.

And your ScorPal idea is really neat. (Of course you're from Maryland; that explains it. ; ) I was born and raised in Maryland, lived there most of my life. We're in Reston now.)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Okay, I get Spellbinders A & B. A is for A-2s and B for 5x7?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Hahaha! Second paragraph is prize-worthy.

And your ScorPal idea is really neat. (Of course you're from Maryland; that explains it. ; ) I was born and raised in Maryland, lived there most of my life. We're in Reston now.)

Beth
At least you didn't wander too far away. We've just returned after a stint in California.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Lightbulb

Helpful resources I can think of right this minute: ;)
  • Work atop a grid-lined surface ... even grid paper sold in school supply areas can help with lining up & centering. This can often be a life-saver IMO.
  • liquid glue offers a bit of quick 'mobility' to scoot the piece a smidge
  • Google the Perfect Layers tool. I know it comes in 2 sizes & have demoed it for conventions. Can be just the ticket for some when cutting with a craft knife. Depends on the crafter whether that is a possible tool to love.
  • Use dry placement (no adhesive) first so you can actually see/visualize the target spacing before you affix it with adhesive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Now I guess I really get it. A & B work together if you want 1/8" borders. But they're die-cutting them for you, no placement assistance. As long as I stand up and use the pink (not blue) Tombow Stamp Runner, so far so good, or at least okay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right. You really need both A and B. I just love the perfect smooth edges they leave, and so much quicker than using a trimmer. But that's just me.
Reply With Quote Likes