Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why do we teach young children......

that we must share! When DD 4.5 yrs sees me making a card, she says "can I make one mummy?" I say no, that's my desk and my stuff and it's expensive. She says "But we must share mummy.":rolleyes:

And yes, she does have her 'own' craft stuff, but somehow mummy's is so much better.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch1View Post
that we must share! When DD 4.5 yrs sees me making a card, she says "can I make one mummy?" I say no, that's my desk and my stuff and it's expensive. She says "But we must share mummy.":rolleyes:

And yes, she does have her 'own' craft stuff, but somehow mummy's is so much better.
LOL! She's right.....but I understand totally how you feel!! I don't know if I could handle a little one playing with my stamping stuff either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to help a child understand that some things may not be appropriate for them until they are older, or that there are boundaries or limits.

I always had supplies and tools I felt comfortable letting my kids use, and others I explained were simply off-limits.

I also spent a lot of time (still do) teaching them to ASK before using someone else's items; don't just assume it's OK. And, likewise, if I want to use something of theirs, I ask beforehand (their iPod, or a piece of jewelry).

And, on the rare occasion they say, "No." I honor that, as I want them to understand that sometimes my answer will be "No", and I would like that to be honored in kind.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

It must be different when you have GD's. She started using my stuff when she was four years old. I have to say she took very good care of my markers, and her favorite technique is coloring direct to rubber. She has always started with the lightest shade when inking the stamp. She loves to "huff" the stamp before stamping (when it takes so long to get it inked it has to be huffed).
There are a few things of course that I do not let her use, like my best papers, or my copic markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 10:59 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I always had supplies and tools I felt comfortable letting my kids use, and others I explained were simply off-limits.
I think that's the key thing - decide which things it's OK for her to use and she'll be thrilled that she can share those with you and make it clear that other stuff is not OK to use when that's necessary. Maybe even make a thing of things like going through your "offcuts" box together and both choosing pieces to use on your projects, that could be something to share without necessarily being expensive.

Kids almost always want what someone else is using. It's not exactly a state of mind that goes away - look at most of us! We want the latest stamp set or Nesties or Copics or whatever because we see the cool ways somebody else is using them :lol:

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Teaching to share is a good thing but I don't think we are teaching that they have to share EVERYTHING. I told my kids when their friends would come over that if something was "special" and couldn't be shared then not to play with it while the friend is over. They have the right to say no - but the key is they can't say no about everything.

They knew when they were little - and now that they are 13 and `18 - that I'll share my stuff with them but they have to ask first and there are some things I don't share. I have a pile of c/s and patterned paper that they can use at anytime with out asking. My "special" stuff is not for their school projects and its usually the SU!c/s and the newer embellies - They can use any of my tools - punches, cutter, big shot, cricut etc but they have to ask.

Andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

My nieces craft with me all the time. They are 6 and 9 and come to my house after school every day. I will let them use most everything. We have three of those rolling carts. One has their stuff, one has the stuff we both use all the time and one is mine. In addition each girl has a 12x12 paper keeper with their "special" papers and markers and coloring pencils. I have Copics and they have brush tip markers. I got them each a set of coloring pencils too, because even when you are sharing, as soon as you need the red, the other person is using it, KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:19 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

My kids are 3 & 6, and I've taught them that there are certain things that I am happy to share with them if they ask nicely. I've also taught them that there are other things that they are just not old enough to use yet (Copics, my sharp scissors, paper trimmer, etc). Those off-limit items are kept out of their reach.

Also, they have their own supplies that are both good quality and age appropriate. I think kids having their own good quality supplies is so important. Who wants to use watercolors or inks that aren't vibrant or brushes that fall apart? They are much less likely to eye up my supplies if their own things work well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

[
Also, they have their own supplies that are both good quality and age appropriate. I think kids having their own good quality supplies is so important. Who wants to use watercolors or inks that aren't vibrant or brushes that fall apart? They are much less likely to eye up my supplies if their own things work well.[/QUOTE]

I agree and I think it is more cost efficient to not always buy the cheapest. The first time I bought them brushes and watercolors, the brushes fell apart when they washed them and the watercolors were so pale and they used so much that they lasted no time at all. I bought them some better watercolors and they have lasted for quite a while now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I actually bought a few things that my daughter could use and put them on my desk so that she could feel like she was using my supplies. She actually takes really good care of them becuase she thinks they are mine when they are really hers but it just thrills her to death to get to use "my" stuff as well as her stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Uh, yes, honey! We do need to share. And when you're about 15, I will be happy to let you use these things.

Seriously, my mind was thinking "What if she asks to share the car?";)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I started crafting with my mum when she stayed home with me before I started school... we always crafted. I always got to use anything of hers that I wanted... BUT, this was pre-stamping/scrapping days... ;) Think 1970's....

Now, she and I share and share alike... but, uh, we're both grown ups!

I had a friend of mine, who I have made invitations for, etc, ask me if I'd host a stamping birthday party for her 10 year old daughter and friends... I cringed, but said "yes".

I have (as we all do, c'mon, be honest!) supplies that I don't really use all that often, or things that I bought when I first started stamping... I just used some of my cheaper stamps, cheap ink from Walmart, etc... and they were thrilled.

Explain that you want to share crafting with her, and buy her some of her own cheap supplies... she'll be happy with the generic cardstock from Michael's and stamps from Walmart. Chances are she will be so thrilled to have her "OWN", and she just wants to share the experience with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Does she have her craft stuff in Mummy's room? Maybe if she doesn't, she's wanting to be near you moreso than using your goodies! Make her a basket of things in your room that she knows she can use when she's in there. Put different kinds of goodies like stickers, kids ink pads & stamps, crayola markers, etc. Then she'll know those are her things, but might be more special because she is in your room with her own spot and the goodies that you gave her to use. Just the preschool teacher in me thinking....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

My kids want me to share too! I do share my scraps, my son just makes a collage with them, my daughter is "borrowing" stuff without permission all the time (a preteen, no big surprise, lol)! At least she thinks the cuttlebug and some of my other tools are too scary to use! And she knows that using my Copic markers is a capital offense! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 PM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie in IndyView Post
Uh, yes, honey! We do need to share. And when you're about 15, I will be happy to let you use these things.

Seriously, my mind was thinking "What if she asks to share the car?";)
I told my girls (I have three) the same thing! When they are teenagers then they can use Mom's fancy stuff. For now they have their craft table and I have mine. We do lots of projects together but I use their stuff with them on those projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Joanne's point (angelnorth) about kids wanting to use what they see other people using is a good one. We don't have kids, but I used to mind my friend's two, one of them (girl) regularly and one of them (boy) occasionally. They both knew that the only things they weren't allowed use were the Fiskars ShapeCutter (they could choose shapes they wanted me to cut) and sharp scissors, but I had their own scissors for them and the paper edgers. But sure enough, anything A was using, D wanted to use too unless it was excessively pink and girly. And anything I was using, A wanted to use. Anything too good to share, I just didn't leave where they could see it, anything I really wanted them to use up I'd leave in full view.
On the whole, I think a small sacrifice is worth it to see kids being creative and constructive rather than sitting in front of a TV or playing on games consoles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2009, 05:09 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

My Copic markers are one of the few things I don't mind sharing. I can refill them and if she messes up a tip I can replace it. I love my Copics and so does my daughter. So far she has not ruined one Copic marker. Before when I used Tombow markers she smooshed lots of the marker tips. Yes, she has her own stuff, but once in awhile she wants to use big girl stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes