Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you buy your stamps from?

Hi. I am new to stamping and have been looking around to get stamps. The few that I have, I got them from Michaels on a discount coupon. But sadly there isn't alot of variety of stamps there. On a second thought, it doesn't have alot of options in pigment inks or embossing powders either.
I checked at Amazon, but same, not easy to find stamps unless I know the specific names.
I checked out the few websites specifically for stamps, like SimonSaysStamps etc,but they are really pricey especially with their shipping costs!
Where do you get your stamps from and is paying $15 for one clear stamp set the normal price(minus the shipping cost)?
Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Penny Black
Whipper Snapper
Our Daily Breads
Unity
Stampin Up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Joann.com frequently has sales on stamping supplies, plus free (or very reduced) shipping. I always check their clearance section before I place an order.

Scroll to the bottom to get their emails: Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores ? Shop online | Jo-Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 03:14 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AasthaView Post
Where do you get your stamps from and is paying $15 for one clear stamp set the normal price(minus the shipping cost)?
Yes, many clear sets seem to start at $15 and can go up from there, but you can find some sets that are little less expensive by shopping around.

One good way to search might be on a site like 123Stitch, where you can search for stamps under subject matter like trees or animals or plants or flowers.

They carry a wide range of stamp companies, so you can get an idea of individual company styles, and investigate the ones you like further.

Trees - Rubber Stamps - 123Stitch.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 03:23 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

franticstamper.com has such a huge selection of stamps and dies, I shop there when I'm looking for something specific. I also shop alot on Ebay because Shipping is often free and the prices are sometimes very good, but I have made mistakes buying from Sellers who have less than !00% rating, and I've found that some manufacturers, like Hero Arts, have more than one version of certain stamps, so I make sure I check on the size and product number. Amazon doesn't always give correct specifications and product numbers for the product they are illustrating.

PTI and Stampin' Up would be my first choice for stamps and supplies because their quality is always so great, but I don't own much of either because paying $7 to get something shipped that could have gone in a padded envelope for $1.35, on top of their high prices, makes them beyond my budget most of the time. I know "you get what you pay for" so I have to be a really careful shopper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 04:10 PM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

Hey fellow newbie ( I just recently got into this fun little hobby myself).

The stores that I tend to go to with my hot little coupon in hand which is really in my phone but you get the idea
Michael's
Joann (I also have ordered on line when they have free or $1.99 shipping specials)
Hobby Lobby
and after watching a lot of Brandy Cox's youtube videos I signed up with Stampin Up and plan to purchase the Work Of Art stamp set (just waiting for them to have a sale)

Happy Stamping!

Last edited by Ready..Set..Craft; 11-14-2015 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I like Joann.com for Avery Elle and Paper Smooches stamps. As mentioned above, they often have good sales.

I like PaperTrey a lot, and only order when I have a $70 order so I can get free shipping.

I have a lot of Stampin' Up from when I was a demonstrator. If you are new to stamping, a demonstrator can share lots of tips and techniques.

Finally, if there is something new or trendy that I want, I order from Simon Says Stamp or Ellen Hutson. Their prices/sales are not as good as Joann.com, but they have all the latest items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 05:06 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This is just another option, but I find a lot of single stamps at Goodwill stores in my area. Most always they are used and rubber wood mounted but sometimes I do find clear stamps and recently I found a brand new set of clear stamps by Inkadinkado. (paid $1.99!).

Gina K. Designs, LLC

is another place to check out, she has new shipping rates for US.

I'm new at this, too! It's fun and very addictive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

stamping is expensive.

I love to shop at

Ellen Hutson LLC

She has sales and when you buy one month, you get a coupon to get 10% the following month.

I also love some companies and buy directly from them, like Waltzingmouse and Concord & 9th and Gina K.

Oh heck, I love it all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 05:40 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I like franticstamper, 1-2-3 Stitch and Ellen Hutson. If I only want one set and do not wish to pay a high freight charge I will sometimes check ebay too. Have fun shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Papertrey Ink (PTI) is my favorite, followed by My Favorite Things (MFT). The design teams are amazing, and the vast majority of my stash is from these two places. I've never paid shipping at either place.

I've also gotten photopolymer stamps and dies from AlteNew, Avery Elle, Cas-ual Fridays, Clearly Besotted, Lil' Inker Designs, Reverse Confetti, Uniko Studio, Verve, Wplus9, Waltzingmouse, and Winnie & Walter.

Good luck with all the options, and have fun shopping!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I used to buy just from stampin up and papertrey ink, and occassionally from michael's, but most of the clear stamps at michael's seem to be poor quality to me, and haven't stood up to as much wear and tear as the papertrey ink or stampin up ones.

Lately I have been eyeing sets from avery elle, mama elephant, sweet stamp shop and lawn fawn, they are definitely on my list to buy from. I just try to limit my shopping, which is hard when there are so many cute sets, but I try to use the Jennifer McGuire form of thinking, if you can't think of 3 different cards you can make with a set, then don't buy it.

Also a lot of companies are putting out some smaller sets which are great for testing out a new brand. Sweet Stamp Shop has some sets for $3.95, Avery Elle has some for under $5.

Now I want to go stamp shopping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 06:16 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunately, $15 is about average for a clear set of stamps, and one reason why I don't own many. I prefer rubber and would rather buy individual stamps that I love but these days it seems most of the cute stamps are clear and combined in sets with stamps I wouldn't use.

Joann.com has a larger variety than what is available in their stores, and the prices are fair if you wait until a 40% off sale. Stampin' Up has good quality rubber stamps but high prices, especially when you add on the cost of postage ($6.95 min.) If you know what you want and are patient, you can often find Stampin' Up for a decent price on eBay. Just be warned that there is a whole lot of price gouging there, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Where we shop? Where we get best deals? Both? Some people are brand loyal and are fine staying there and paying full price, others are more mercenary (raising hand) and will shop wherever we can get the best deal-possibly after waiting months.

Sets: If you are going to really use 4 of the set...that makes them 3.75 each in a 15 dollar set, if that helps.

If you know you like the stamps of a company, sign up for the newletter and you will get coupons. Sometimes they are minor like 15% but sometimes they are 50%.

Be careful at Ebay. A lot of sellers there sell at-or well above- list price. Back out and check the mfg site. This is b/c some of them ARE mfgs or brick and mortar stores themselves, or just a seller who thinks all buyers are silly and we dont check. IE House Mouse. Check the completeds on the left. That 12 buck stamp today may have sold 6x at 5 bucks in the last 90 days. Hold out. It will come around again. I have spent years on ebay. I was so green when I first started I would just ask for "rubber stamps". There are 150+K at any given time. I have literally looked at many hundreds of thousands of stamps. :shock:

But it also taught me a lot-what I like and dont, about companies that are open and closed, etc. How stamps 90% of the time will come around again. Dont overbid to get it. I have waited almost 2 years, but I finally got what I wanted. Other times I waited 2 days. Just never know. I have bought a lot there. Just have to have your smart hat on.

I look at hundreds of mfgs depending on what I am looking for. Some general suppliers:

I use Joann's a lot.
123 stitch has sales every week based on theme-pull down the sale menu and it will tell you.
Scrapbooking Warehouse usually has a bit off and a wide selection
ScrapMart usually has discounted prices
Scrapbook.com wide selection, some stuff on sale.
Susana's Custom Art and Design (SCAD) she carries both original and common brands. Nice lady.
I do like Ellen Hutson as a company and her original product
Simon says is pricey so I tend to mostly get their own house stuff that I really like when on a good sale.
The Stamproom down in FL specializes in international companies and always has some category on sale. Little company, nice lady.

I am sure I am missing people. There are a lot of general suppliers. Like any other industry-the big boys get the best discounts from mfgs and once they clear it out, they can discount it heavily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 09:08 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you prefer clear or wood mounted? What are you looking for? I can spare some stamps and would be happy to send you some if I have what you need. Oh...no charge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

There are so many places to purchase stamps. I think it is important to figure out what type of stamps suit your style. Then you can decide what companies to buy from. Some of my favorites include: Sparkle and Sprinkle, Viva Las Vegas, Heartfelt Creations, and The Stampin' Place.

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 12:43 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

I like the pretty florals from Power Poppy, Marcella use to design for Flourishes until they closed and then started her own now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:13 AM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I buy from many different companies. I like First Stone Stamps, Viva Las Vegas Stamps, Creative Vision Stamps, Crafter's Companion has lots of stamps and good deals, Sheena Douglass....the list goes on and on...
I joined The Stamps of Life stamp of the month club and have never been disappointed. They send you a set each month at a lower price and shipping for that set is only $1.
Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 05:05 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go to Welcome to Heirloom Productions - Bringing you the BEST in Rubber Stamp & Paper Arts Festivals they list all the stamp company websites that participate in their shows around the country. This might help you find the styles you like. Signing up for their newsletter or liking them on Facebook can get you notifications of sales. Oozak also has free shipping over $50 which is not hard to do at all. good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I think before you go out shopping all over the internet you need to decide what styles appeal to you and make a wish list..

for instance in the back of my mind I have wanted a Santa's sleigh die for some time now, and now have one on its way to me from ( Amazon) ( I am a prime member and I do click the button here on the home page to help this site too)

spend some time in the gallery doing general searches. what are you wanting to stamp next? ( Christmas things are starting to pop up all over and many places have them on sale at this time of year too) make a list of what you want to search for. ( think about it for a while, chances are you will not need ten versions of a sleigh but, snowflakes are a different ball game. if you are willing to wait for things most of them will go on sale somewhere eventually.

(and I have a gmail email account to get email specials from pretty much everywhere)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 11:18 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

90% Stampin Up. You should check out the. Buy sell forum here. I also love Papertry Ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I'm 90% stampin up only because I don't shop online. I would love to get my hands on some of the cutesy stamps Jennifer McGuire and Kristina Werner have been using. Maybe Ellen Hutson, Avery Elle, wplus9, and lawn fawn. They do some really really cute cards!

Last edited by muscrat; 11-15-2015 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #23  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I am about 95% Stampin' Up! The other 5% consists of Close To My Heart and Sweet & Sassy (I love that they have lots of scripture and Christian sentiments).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 03:10 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I like Oozak.com. Free shipping over $50. They have a bunch of stamps from different companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #25  
Kookie Creator

I work at Michaels. I buy stamps everywhere, but want to mention the $1 stamps at Michaels are surprisingly good quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:40 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Do you prefer clear or wood mounted? What are you looking for? I can spare some stamps and would be happy to send you some if I have what you need. Oh...no charge!

Wow! Would you really do that?! Thankyou so soo much!!
I am new to stamping and have just 3 stamps right now. 2 wood mounted, and 1 clear stamps and so far I liked using both.
I would love to have any kind of stamps that you won't be using again, to experiment and practice with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:45 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by steadybeadinView Post
I work at Michaels. I buy stamps everywhere, but want to mention the $1 stamps at Michaels are surprisingly good quality.
Wow! I just came back from Michaels but I didn't find any $1 stamps there? Are you talking about any special discount coupon that you get?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Wow! I just came back from Michaels but I didn't find any $1 stamps there? Are you talking about any special discount coupon that you get?
No special. They usually have them in a display near scrapbook section. Just ask someone. There are usually new ones every season. Sign up your email with them they sometimes send 25% off you're entire purchase coupons.
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.-Ephesians 4:32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Michaels has some dollar bin stamps. My Michaels has them in a stand near the Martha Stewart punch section.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

No special. They usually have them in a display near scrapbook section. Just ask someone. There are usually new ones every season. Sign up your email with them they sometimes send 25% off you're entire purchase coupons.
Thanks so much. I am definitely checking those out next time I go there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Michaels has some dollar bin stamps. My Michaels has them in a stand near the Martha Stewart punch section.
Thanks Kathy. Will definitely look them up in my next visit. Can't believe I never came across them till now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 05:17 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

Joann's fabric's has a dollar bin section that has stamps in it too sometimes.

just don't fall into that trap of
"oh my gosh, I have a coupon and its burning a hole in my wallet syndrome"
( or you will have way more stamps than you even like asap)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 05:34 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Buy/Sell/Trade forum right here on Splitcoast...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 07:36 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

I agree with you. I've had very good luck with most of the stamps I got from Michaels. Even the little clear ones that only cost $1. Some of them I've had for years and they still stamp very well.

Also I love the Recollections cardstock. I'm a big Michaels fan.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default please pm your address

Quote:

Wow! Would you really do that?! Thankyou so soo much!!
I am new to stamping and have just 3 stamps right now. 2 wood mounted, and 1 clear stamps and so far I liked using both.
I would love to have any kind of stamps that you won't be using again, to experiment and practice with.
And I will send you a package.

;)

Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2015, 10:10 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts

Unity is always having great sales! Their stamps are top quality, and they have a variety of styles.

Unity Stamp Co | So Much Pretty in One Place
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 03:59 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

If you still have one, try your LSS. They'll probably have more of a variety in selection and will probably willing to share tips, techniques and suggestions to get you started.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 04:22 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for someone new to stamping; I always suggest this site. The buy/sell forum. There are a lot of gals; who have far too many stamps; myself included; and are selling their stamp and supplies for a very discounted rate. You should find a posting that has maybe three stamps sets, to make it worth the $6. shipping cost; but, economical otherwise. I also, being mainly retired; need to spend less on stamping and decided I am only doing cards that I use most often, birthday, get well, sympathy and look only for those stamps. Wedding, birth, graduation; go to the dollar store and buy a card, when needed.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 05:02 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I buy almost all of my stamps on e-bay. Just keep looking and you'll find all kinds of stamps that you like. Check out the shipping costs...some of them are outrageous. I also but stamps at conventions . IMO pricier there but no additional shipping costs, sometimes tax it added. You will need some sentiments, birthday, thinking of you etc. Although I do like stampin up stamps, I am not a big fan of sets. Some never get used. Just keep looking and enjoy your new hobby...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2015, 05:02 AM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by toodmeView Post
If you still have one, try your LSS. They'll probably have more of a variety in selection and will probably willing to share tips, techniques and suggestions to get you started.

Does LSS stand for Local Stamp Store?
Reply With Quote Likes