Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelleyView Post
WHAT??? How shocking! You don't like SU! I never would have known!!! I totally can't tell by your posts!!!:twisted:
I still use a few colors of cardstock. Yes I have gotten rid of most of my SU stuff but I still use my inkpads.

Sorry for posting my OPINION. Yes I did switch mostly to PTI cardstock and ink but there are still a few colors that they do not have and those I still use SU for - not that its any of your business anyway.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #42  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I certainly have nothing against PTI, however I just have one question for those that have posted that they are dumping SU for the color change to move to PTI colors. Does PTI have some sort of guarentee that the colors they are currently offering will still be avaialble next year, in 2 years, in 5 yes, forever? Really I'm not trying to be snippy, but change is inevitable so why all the fuss over changes in colors. Now if the reason for moving to PTI is that you believe it is a better quality product or they have colors that you prefer, then that is certainly a different story because no company can make every person happy or fill everyone's needs/desires.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

[QUOTE=SeattleStamper;16452434][quote=NYstamper;16452318]This is by no means a disaster, and even as a demo I am not a cash cow!! I am a customer first and buy what I like. This is not my fulltime, pays the bills job. This is my fun, hang out with my friends job.
Quote:

I didn't mean to offend you. Just stating that my opinion is SU makes a very large slice of their profits from purchases by demos. This is not a bad thing, not negative towards you as a demo...just a fact that if they change a core product it will mean huge sales because their demos will "need" it to sell or just plain want it. I think the change is a GOOD thing
Thats gonna be me sister! Seriously, anyone think guests at the wedding would be offended by a SU registry????

And YES, if I could do that I totally would! :-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by plkelleyView Post
WHAT??? How shocking! You don't like SU! I never would have known!!! I totally can't tell by your posts!!!:twisted:
I'm sorry, but was this comment really necessary. Can't we politely agree to disagree?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:55 AM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

MAKE CARDS ~ NOT WAR LADIES!!!!
Off to stamp some cards!!!
I Love Stampin UP!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
Wouldn't most demos have picked up the In Colors already? So, I'm guessing that many demos won't have too much to re-stock, unless they'd already used up all of their paper.

I agree with the others who have said that change is good. It's kind of fun to see a fresh new palette.
Because they "retired" many demos unloaded product they could not demo/sell any more. SU did warn demos last year not to do it with the 08-09 colors because something was coming. So between last year and this, some demo have 6 of them.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #47  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by STAMPINGODDESSView Post
I'm sorry, but was this comment really necessary. Can't we politely agree to disagree?
Well, it gets tiresome seeing the same opinion repeated over, and over, and over, and over....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
I still use a few colors of cardstock. Yes I have gotten rid of most of my SU stuff but I still use my inkpads.

Sorry for posting my OPINION. Yes I did switch mostly to PTI cardstock and ink but there are still a few colors that they do not have and those I still use SU for - not that its any of your business anyway.
You are absolutely right - it's not my business. So tell me, then - how do you suppose I know exactly what your feelings are about SU! - this is a public message board and your message has certainly come across loud and clear for the last several months. I don't begrudge you your opinion, but don't be surprised when someone says 'enough.'
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

[QUOTE=SeattleStamper;16452434][quote=NYstamper;16452318]This is by no means a disaster, and even as a demo I am not a cash cow!! I am a customer first and buy what I like. This is not my fulltime, pays the bills job. This is my fun, hang out with my friends job.
Quote:

I didn't mean to offend you. Just stating that my opinion is SU makes a very large slice of their profits from purchases by demos. This is not a bad thing, not negative towards you as a demo...just a fact that if they change a core product it will mean huge sales because their demos will "need" it to sell or just plain want it. I think the change is a GOOD thing
No offense taken! I didn't mean to come across so grumpy. It is a huge change and change isn't always seen as positive since we(general term) have the habit of always asuming the worst. I was just trying to point out the positive...rather firmly I guess,lol. Even though I am a demo, I don't buy something unless I like it and know I will use it. I can't just buy something to demo only cause then my mojo deserts me. And you are right, they do make alot of profit off of the demos.... but some demos might just buy a asst pack of the paper just to show thier customers too. I know that not all buy the incolors(unlike me). I like the variety so I get sucked in, must be why I am so excited!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #50  
Forum Fanatic

I'm excited about the change! At first I was kinda upset, but then I looked at the colours that will be retiring and knew I wouldn't miss many! I'll still use them for personal use, but I didn't use them often now so I'll be ok! lol! I'm happy to have new fresh colours! Yay!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I don't know if the other poster meant to rile you. I noticed you posted this same sentiment --"I've switched to PTI" -- twice in this thread alone. I wondered if you owned stock! I really do think that was all that was meant by that little dig.

The "not that it is any of you business" comment did leave me wondering though? You shared this with all of us so you made it everyone's business or maybe I am missing something?

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendant23View Post
I don't know if the other poster meant to rile you. I noticed you posted this same sentiment --"I've switched to PTI" -- twice in this thread alone. I wondered if you owned stock! I really do think that was all that was meant by that little dig.

The "not that it is any of you business" comment did leave me wondering though? You shared this with all of us so you made it everyone's business or maybe I am missing something?
Oh don't worry - I am now leaving. You are very crabby today and I am the one you want to take it out on. GO AHEAD.
I really don't care and goodbye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

I remember when SU went from their old universal colors to their "exclusive 48" back in like '97. It was a huge ordeal for everyone to suddenly have 48 brand new colors to collect. But SU did their homework and (other then a little tweeking in 2005 with a handful of colors) those 48 have stuck around for a dozen years!

It was now time for a change! SU shared that this is a change that's had 2 years of research. I think its great....the color families look fresh again and really there's only a small handful of new colors so not a lot of purchase expense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Oh don't worry - I am now leaving. You are very crabby today and I am the one you want to take it out on. GO AHEAD.
I really don't care and goodbye.
Crabby? That was my only comment in this thread!

Well, if you are gone, you won't see this. I hope you quoted me in error and not that I offended. I really did mean I thought you should lighten up because it was just a little dig from the other poster because you posted the same twice, not like someone was slamming you. I am sorry you felt I did too.

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

The new colors are pretty and when you see them all arranged in the color palette they are very very complimentary. I will still use the retired stuff and stock up on the favorites but I am very excited about getting more new colors.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #56  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

So there will be 5 new colors plus 6 new In Colors?

Eleven colors I can manage since I have always added the In Colors each year and already own all of those.

I do think the new families look fresh and current.

The Renovation does seem really weak in the purples, though! There is nothing soft and subtle about Perfect Plum. That one should have gone so they could keep something softer.

Last edited by allee's; 04-06-2010 at 12:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:21 PM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Only 5 new in colors. So a total of 10 new ones. That was my understanding...will someone kindly correct me if I am mistaken...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:24 PM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

First off, I certainly have nothing against PTI, however I just have one question for those that have posted that they are dumping SU for the color change to move to PTI colors. Does PTI have some sort of guarentee that the colors they are currently offering will still be avaialble next year, in 2 years, in 5 yes, forever? Really I'm not trying to be snippy, but change is inevitable so why all the fuss over changes in colors. Now if the reason for moving to PTI is that you believe it is a better quality product or they have colors that you prefer, then that is certainly a different story because no company can make every person happy or fill everyone's needs/desires.
After seeing SU's new color palette, I just am not impressed. With a couple exceptions, I don't like (have never liked) the in-colors that they are using in the new families and I will really miss several of the retiring colors. I have been buying up PTI paper lately and have been extremely impressed with it. Since I'm not loving the SU color palette, I plan on finishing out my PTI collection.

It isn't anything against Stampin Up, I like SU; I'm just not happy with the decision on the color palette. I see that many like it and that is great. SU needs to do what is best for its business.

Don't breed or buy while homeless animals die!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:26 PM   #59  

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Only 5 new in colors. So a total of 10 new ones. That was my understanding...will someone kindly correct me if I am mistaken...
blessings.
Yes, 5 new in-colors this year coming in July (instead of the 6 that we have had previously). THEN next July we will get 5 more and get to keep this years as well for a total of 10. In July 12, the first 5 will retire, the second 5 will still be here and we get another 5.

Have I confused you yet????

There are also 5 (I believe) new CORE colors which are part of the 40 CORE colors. These are taking the place of some of the "old" 48 that we had as well as some of the retired in colors are coming back to replace some of the colors that are going to be retired as well.

Again, confused yet or does it make a little sense?

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #60  

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlozbView Post
After seeing SU's new color palette, I just am not impressed. With a couple exceptions, I don't like (have never liked) the in-colors that they are using in the new families and I will really miss several of the retiring colors. I have been buying up PTI paper lately and have been extremely impressed with it. Since I'm not loving the SU color palette, I plan on finishing out my PTI collection.

It isn't anything against Stampin Up, I like SU; I'm just not happy with the decision on the color palette. I see that many like it and that is great. SU needs to do what is best for its business.
I am truly sad you're disappointed. It really does suck that they can't make everyone happy! I thought I wasn't going to like it but fortunately for me I actually do. Maybe give it some time. Hopefully it will grow on you! I do enjoy seeing everyone's opinions on here...even if they don't share mine:-) Happy stamping...with whatever you use!

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

I'm actually really excited about it. There were many colors that I just didn't use, so it's exciting to get a fresh pallete of colors where I'd be happy to use every single one. I've only been a demo for two years, but even I have the returning in colors, except one, Wild Wasabi. So, there are only 5 core colors that I don't already own. And then the 5 new in colors that will be revealed later. And new in colors will be available for 2 years!! (and we'll get another set of 5 the next year, so we'll have 10 in colors that will rotate in & out in groups of 5) I can more than handle these changes!! I'm looking forward to them.

I'm sooo exited!! I wish I had those colors to play with now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I am truly sad you're disappointed. It really does suck that they can't make everyone happy! I thought I wasn't going to like it but fortunately for me I actually do. Maybe give it some time. Hopefully it will grow on you! I do enjoy seeing everyone's opinions on here...even if they don't share mine:-) Happy stamping...with whatever you use!
You never know, if there is one thing that I love, it is cardstock! One reason I started buying PTI was for more color choices. No matter what I say now, I probably won't forego SU cardstock entirely!

OT-I see you are from Central Ill, that is where I am from originally (and I miss it big time!).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

I really do love and appreciate SCS..... all the samples..... all the sharing!!

Two years ago I caught the trend of which SU colors were really used and shared in samples, and which ones weren't. It was easy to just not replenish my supplies in those colors, to the point that the changes aren't going to be a big deal for me. The way SU has introduced the In Colors for the past few years has kept me solidly hooked, and now the new In Colors will be sticking around for 2 years instead of 1. Yippee!!!

Of course, Summer Sun, Lovely Lilac, and Brilliant Blue are still the very best matches for school colors and graduations, so I have to stock up on some for scrapbooking. Oh, and what would my manly scrapbooks be without Really Rust, Creamy Caramel, and Bordering Blue??? Actually, I bet we see very similar colors coming back in the futue as "brand new" In Colors! LOL

SU products have tons and tons of customers, so anyone who wants to get rid of discontinued supplies should be able to do so. SU products sell well anywhere and any time. I think SU is always a good investment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #64  
Crimping Master

I am a Stampin Up demo and there are so many unknowns right now, but until I actually see the new colors and work with them and all the pretty new accessories, I told myself to think positive. And I am so happy that Pink Pirouette and Baja Breeze are back, that I made a card and posted it in my gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

i AM DOING A PUBLIC APOLOGY TO Pendant23 - I RECEIVED A PM THAT I QUOTED THE WRONG COMMENT AND I DID - FOR THAT I AM SORRY Pendant23 -
I REALLY MEANT TO QUOTE A DIFFERENT USERS COMMENT -

BY

MY PERSONAL REASON FOR MY COMMENTS TO GO EXCLUSIVE TO A DIFFERNET COMPANY FOR CARDSTOCK IS THIS - I STILL BOUGHT 4 COLORS OF CARDSTOCK FROM SU- IN FACT I JUST RCVD A BAG of PURPLES AND GREEN FROM A SHOW LAST WEEK - ALL 4 COLORS ARE ON THAT RETIRING LIST.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #66  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, the new collections are so much better!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #67  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

The other good news is I can stop hoarding my treasured Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, Baja Breeze, Wild Wasabi, and River Rock! I can use them to my heart's content now that I will be able to get more!! I'm thrilled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:35 PM   #68  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

What does PTI's company policy have to do with anything? (That's not trying to be snippy; I'm just not following.)

Besides: is there a guarantee? Well, no, not exactly. However, one of the owners has previously stated that at this time, the company has no intention of retiring any PTI product.

Last edited by SkyNacho; 04-06-2010 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love everything about the new color change. I love how they have the colors organized and I love all the new colors. This change has really got my creativity going again. I can't wait to get down to my room and shift everything around and start designing. I can't wait to get my hands on the new colors.

I'm so glad they got rid of all those bold brights and soft subtles, it was TIME! I am going to miss bordering blue and cameo coral though, but... oh well, **** happens!

Embrace the suck people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

just a thought...aren't we all sooo glad that furniture and paint companies have changed with the trends lol...so don't like avacado and gold carpet/paint/furniture ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 PM   #71  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

While I haven't been a demo since the new IDA came out, I still refer to and use lots of the colors. I can see, as a demo, having a bit of shell shock to the pocketbook at this announcement. Regardless how long you've owned the inks, papers, ribbons, markers, etc...it's a lot of swallow at once. A conservative estimate I would think would be in the area of around $500+ or so that is un-demonstratable. And that is where the frustration comes in.

It doesn't make it feel any better to know that nothing is forever: i.e. paint colors in your living room, tile in your hallway, etc. For many, even with the excitement of the new palette, it's hard to think about all the inventory no longer being able to be used at workshops and such. Sure, they can be used for personal use, there's no denying that, but some demos only keep what is current, as evidenced by the B/S/T boards at retirement time.

That said, I do like how the new color families look and will continue to incorporate the colors, those staying and possibly purchasing the new ones, with the other inks I do use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #72  

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlozbView Post
You never know, if there is one thing that I love, it is cardstock! One reason I started buying PTI was for more color choices. No matter what I say now, I probably won't forego SU cardstock entirely!

OT-I see you are from Central Ill, that is where I am from originally (and I miss it big time!).
Yup, I'm Decatur, right in the very smack dab middle. I like it here...most days:-)

Check out my blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #73  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzienutmegView Post
just a thought...aren't we all sooo glad that furniture and paint companies have changed with the trends lol...so don't like avacado and gold carpet/paint/furniture ;)

hush now or it might come back - they all do!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #74  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
The other good news is I can stop hoarding my treasured Riding Hood Red, Pink Pirouette, Baja Breeze, Wild Wasabi, and River Rock! I can use them to my heart's content now that I will be able to get more!! I'm thrilled!
I was down to three sheets of Pink Pirouette! I am so happy it will be available again in July.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #75  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Yup, I'm Decatur, right in the very smack dab middle. I like it here...most days:-)
Oh, wow, I grew up in Moweaqua, 20 miles south of Decatur. Right now I'm in Missouri, I would love to move back!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #76  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cutiepatutieView Post
I love everything about the new color change. I love how they have the colors organized and I love all the new colors. This change has really got my creativity going again. I can't wait to get down to my room and shift everything around and start designing. I can't wait to get my hands on the new colors.

I'm so glad they got rid of all those bold brights and soft subtles, it was TIME! I am going to miss bordering blue and cameo coral though, but... oh well, **** happens!

Embrace the suck people.
Oh Bordering Blue! :(
Two at my last class LOVED a card we did with Bordering and Bashful blues. They commented on it because we did a snowflake card with same colors in November.

My new favorite site...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #77  
Kookie Creator

I think it's silly to compare PTI and SU color palletes. First, PTI only has something like 26 colors, and they are all relatively new. They only release a 2-3 each month or something like that. I remember the hoopla when I first got into stamping--which wasn't that long ago--- that the Perfect Match ink and papers were a new thing. PTI oldest color hasn't even been around as long as SU's colors. All PTI colors are current--and there aren't as many. But eventually as they continue adding each month and as time passes, they'll eventually get a color collection as large as SU's and their colors will eventually get out dated b/c enough time will have passed and they will be retired. That happens in every industry where color is a main element.

This is a positive change for SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm excited, I love new colors. I've been fizzling out on SU stamps because I like unmounted more, and now they have that. I have a lifetime supply of most SU colors and now there are new colors. My demo should be happy.

However I have some slight comments
The purple selection is sad. I don't even like purple and I noticed right away.
that is a lot of brown colors, but I do like browns, but I wonder if I need all of them. Maybe a nice neutral multipack and I'll be done.
And what the heck? No one has mentioned the most shocking thing of all! They bring back old In Colors but not the best color they ever produced Cool Caribbean? SERIOUSLY??? I could just faint. I was SURE if they ever brought anything back it would be that.
The colors themselves look great to me though.

Is daffodil delight new new? What are the really new colors for those of us who are not SU color specialists?

Daffodil delight, Crumb Cake, Early Espresso, Marina Mist and Cherry Cobbler? Is Pacific Point new?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #79  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
While I haven't been a demo since the new IDA came out, I still refer to and use lots of the colors. I can see, as a demo, having a bit of shell shock to the pocketbook at this announcement. Regardless how long you've owned the inks, papers, ribbons, markers, etc...it's a lot of swallow at once. A conservative estimate I would think would be in the area of around $500+ or so that is un-demonstratable. And that is where the frustration comes in.

It doesn't make it feel any better to know that nothing is forever: i.e. paint colors in your living room, tile in your hallway, etc. For many, even with the excitement of the new palette, it's hard to think about all the inventory no longer being able to be used at workshops and such. Sure, they can be used for personal use, there's no denying that, but some demos only keep what is current, as evidenced by the B/S/T boards at retirement time.

That said, I do like how the new color families look and will continue to incorporate the colors, those staying and possibly purchasing the new ones, with the other inks I do use.
I think this is a high estimate. Where are you getting that figure? SU has done all they can to minimize the impact on demonstrators. If you look at it there are only 5 new, never before seen colors, the rest are either current colors or returning in colors. And demos were told a year ago not to get rid of retired In-colors. New kits will be made available to update things like crayons, pastels and markers. No one will have to buy complete new sets of these. All in all SU has done a great job with this change. There has been two years of research, sales analysis, and focus groups that has gone into this. Yes, there will be some demo impact but I think the change is long overdue and will be well received once people have time to adjust and see all the colors for themselves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #80  
Hardware Hotshot

What a surprise that SO many are being retired. I just discovered Bordering Blue...guess I'll have to order a supply of it! I only like a few colors from each family, so the change is not that big of deal for me. I'm surprised about Sage Shadow tho.
Reply With Quote Likes